PDA

View Full Version : Yup, we ate a dragon heart.....

thorgrim29
2007-07-07, 12:43 AM
So, we killed a homebrew dragon, no wings, no breath weapon, just realy thick scales, huge size. And, we're a bit tirerd, and I had the idea of eating it's heart..... We're rapidly losing strenght, and the other guy has fever..... The dm is inventing it as we go, what do you think?

Mike_Lemmer
2007-07-07, 12:49 AM
There was a Hackmaster article a while back about the uses of various dragon organs. Eating the heart was an... interesting one.

Pray your GM doesn't have access to these.

Gaelbert
2007-07-07, 12:51 AM
If you want advice on what to do with the corpse, Dragon #332 has some ideas, like making an instrument or a boat. There's also some organ in the dragon that is highly magical, the name escapes me, its something like fundamentum something or other, but you could eat that.

Maxymiuk
2007-07-07, 12:53 AM
So you got heartburn? :smalltongue:

Have the cleric prepare restores and Cure disease spells.

Damionte
2007-07-07, 01:03 AM
So you got heartburn? :smalltongue:

Ta dum Dum crash !!

Cryopyre
2007-07-07, 01:18 AM
There's supposedly something magical about that in norse mythology, but it has to be cooked all the way without a drip of grease or a bit burnt.

http://www.millennial-fair.com/literature/norse1.html#fafnir

Read the fafnir section.

thorgrim29
2007-07-07, 01:20 AM
So.... right now we're making will saves once in a while, and we have red rashes all over......

Dragonfoxfly
2007-07-07, 02:36 AM
So.... right now we're making will saves once in a while, and we have red rashes all over......

That can't be good, the rashes are a disease I think, and the will saves...
maybe you all have fallen victim to a draconic parasite?:smalltongue:

geek_2049
2007-07-07, 02:49 AM
Tell your DM you want to make knowledge religion, arcana, bardic, history, local, etc checks to see if you know what is happening to you/what you can do to prevent it, etc. Also if you are high enough level Commune and Contact Other Plane can come in handy. Your DM might not know what's going to happen next, but your character might.

The Prince of Cats
2007-07-07, 03:56 AM
I trained the 'just try it and see what happens' response out of my players years ago. Of course, there were certain 'blips', like the paladin who thought a shield of missile-attraction was a good thing (fraggin' martyrs...), but they don't tend to make many random mistakes these days. The druid just got reincarnate though, so they may start getting reckless.

Of course, they would have tried to stuff the corpse into a bag of holding (I said 'try', not do...) just to see how much it would sell for. Why eat the heart if you can find a crazy wizard who will pay you for it. Even coppers add up, they tell me...

Leon
2007-07-07, 04:18 AM
Sounds like something that my players would do (and to a degree have done)

Pink
2007-07-07, 04:23 AM
In a game i was once in, My party ate Hydra meat(This was before the OotS comic with the trial) and it was good. Of course we had a rogue with max ranks in profession(cook) too, so that might've helped.

CaptainSam
2007-07-07, 04:49 AM
You probably should have had it with a nice chianti and a plate of fava beans.

Belteshazzar
2007-07-07, 03:39 PM
Thats human kidneys with chianti and fava beans not draconic hearts haven't you ever read 'To Serve Man'?

Perhaps you caught psionic heartworms? Of course they will soon grow so large as to kill you from a heart attack. If not you may wish you had.
Or perhaps dragon's blood is psychotropic and the will saves are to avoid becoming a vapid loon?
Or it may just be some kind of Dragonic STD, good luck finding a cure for a magical disease like Syphailacsale.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-07-07, 03:44 PM
It's probably immune system rejection as the heartstuff tries to integrate with your system. Just watch, one of these you'll breathe fire from a nasty case of "heartburn".

Quietus
2007-07-07, 03:47 PM
If you want advice on what to do with the corpse, Dragon #332 has some ideas, like making an instrument or a boat. There's also some organ in the dragon that is highly magical, the name escapes me, its something like fundamentum something or other, but you could eat that.

Fundamentum Draconis, I believe. My book is 7 feet to my right, I can't be bothered to check. That's where all their elemental energy gets produced/stored.

thorgrim29
2007-07-07, 04:50 PM
Well, our boss took the organs (exept the heart obviously). We're having a smith make a suit of bone armor and a scale breastplate, plus swanky capes from the thinner scales under the tail and the belly. I'm still trying to find something to do with the teeth and the claws (well, exept bore a hole in one and wear it as an amulet, what, I'm a warblade, I thrive on "what is that around your neck" or "what IS that armor").

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-07, 05:18 PM
Aye, that's the thing about dragons. Even if you sign away the hoard, the dragon's body is a veritable font of useful magic bits.

... on the other hand, you just gave your DM unlimited access to your party's internal organs.

PlatinumJester
2007-07-07, 05:19 PM
Put the claws and teeth onto your armour as spikes.

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-07, 05:23 PM
Or your helmet, for a more decorative use; imagine a crown made of dragon's fangs.

Wooter
2007-07-07, 05:26 PM
Well, our boss took the organs (exept the heart obviously). We're having a smith make a suit of bone armor and a scale breastplate, plus swanky capes from the thinner scales under the tail and the belly. I'm still trying to find something to do with the teeth and the claws (well, exept bore a hole in one and wear it as an amulet, what, I'm a warblade, I thrive on "what is that around your neck" or "what IS that armor").

You could have the teeth made into spikes on a morningstar.

Glyphic
2007-07-07, 07:55 PM
Porcelain + scales = masterwork teacups. Expensive ones too. I imagine some noble would be interested.

AtomicKitKat
2007-07-08, 02:12 AM
Teeth and claws make for decent spiked gauntlets. If your DM was foolish enough to give the Dragon Augmented Criticals(basically keen+improved multiplier for a natural weapon, most go from 20/X2 to 19-20/X3), make sure to argue that your new weapons are treated likewise.:smallwink:

bosssmiley
2007-07-08, 06:11 AM
...I'm still trying to find something to do with the teeth and the claws...

Sow them in a field, then fight what grows during an epic quest for a stylish McGuffin. It's traditional. :smallwink:

As for the Will saves and rashes. Sounds to me like alignment shift and half-dragon template time. :smallamused:

kpenguin
2007-07-08, 06:14 AM
What Bosssmiley said. Sow them into the ground and watch soldiers grow from the ground. Throw a jewel amongst them to have them fight each other and have the remaining five help you found a city.

thorgrim29
2007-07-08, 08:30 AM
What the.... I recognised Jason and the Argonots for the feild thing, but thed city and jewel? where is that from? Oh and as per the end of the session, we had endure element (cold) and were no longer making will saves.

kpenguin
2007-07-08, 08:33 AM
That's how Cadmus founded Thebes, if my memory was correct. Athena told him to do that. He also told him to follow a cow to where the city should be.

...Eh?
2007-07-08, 08:43 AM
Whatever you do with the dragon, one of my favorites is petrifying the eye and wearing it around your neck. (It also makes a badass glass eye if a monster takes a swing at your head, and you suddenly find yourself wishing you had taken Blind-Fight.)

PhoeKun
2007-07-08, 09:02 AM
So, we killed a homebrew dragon, no wings, no breath weapon, just realy thick scales, huge size. And, we're a bit tirerd, and I had the idea of eating it's heart..... We're rapidly losing strenght, and the other guy has fever..... The dm is inventing it as we go, what do you think?

So... can you talk to birds, then?