PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Special Gifts for PCs

JBarca
2016-08-29, 04:19 PM
If you're in my upcoming game (you know who you are), it's probably best if you stay out.

Hey all! I've got a 3.5(.PF; PF material is available upon request) game starting "soon" (just waiting on my players to get their characters done, at this point...) and I've decided that each PC will be gifted a boon at game's start. These will be special abilities or items, unique to the characters. I'd like to outsource some general ideas for these things.

Game info: 15th level, semi-Gestalt. This means that levels taken in a full casting (obtains 9ths or abilities on a similar level, not including Maneuvers) class only count as "half" Gestalt. So a 15th level Cleric could take 7 level in Gestalted classes, as an example. Moderately high point buy, very high-magic setting (Peasants aren't that impressed with regular magic, cities require magical wards to exist, armies are usually built around a corps of casters, etc), and relatively high power. I know that last one is hard to quantify, but there you go. Each player also gets a Leadership-lite ability: The Feat, but without the Cohort, to represent their phenomenal power.

The PCs are supposed to be some of the strongest beings on the Prime. Their only real threats are the big world-ending type things. I intend to move the game into Pathfinder's Mythic system, too.

The party is three people
- A Trumpet Archon//Crusader (The Archon has had its LA slashed so it fill exactly 15 levels, and counts as a full caster for my Gestalt rules) who wants to be everything: full caster, tank, face, main damage-dealer. Is Exalted and has a VoP fix (This one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?335794-Vow-of-Poverty-Remix), IIRC), so his "gift" will be either a modification to his Trumpet/Sword or a boon. He's a military leader. Former general of Heironeous' Celestial armies, now leads Paladins of the same god on the Prime in a much-weakened state. I think he's taking Leadership to get a Bard follower, though that may have changed recently.

- A Sha'ir with some racial levels. I don't want to go into specifics, since some of his stuff is rather secret and important and there's an off-chance that one of the other players will read this. He's focusing on Enchantments and Divinations, with some BFC/Debuffing for combat. He's the party face, almost for sure. Great Cha-based things. He leads a group of similar characters with some major goals. His boon is an item that gives a variety of bonuses, including Mind Blank, a moderate bonus to Cha-based skills, immunity to a major weakness, some restricted SR, a few low-level Enchantments cast at-will, a Summon Monster-esque ability that brings in some moderately strong melee brutes (Stuff the party could absolutely maul, but will be decent against mooks), and the ability to create a staff with one charge with any spell on his list 1/day, basically. The last thing works in a slightly different way, but practically will function as such. Takes a minute to make, so it's not a win button in combat.

- A Thri-Keen Soulbow who has done next to no other work on the character. Plans to be the party's artillery piece, basically.

So. With the rough power level of the Sha'ir's (Ugh that looks like some exotic race from a poorly-written sci-fi novel...) item in mind, any suggestions for the Archon or (and I know this one's a long shot due to the lack of info) the Thri-Keen?

For the Archon, I had considered some kind of ability that boosts his ability to lead his army, but that will have little practical effect in actual play.

Thanks in advance for your time and responses!