PDA

View Full Version : High Level Gestalt Help

Ortesk
2016-08-29, 04:55 PM
Okay fine folks, I am going to be starting a game this saturday, and I am struggling to hash out a few details. But first, the rules.

3.5/PF is game, all books (green ronin, dragon, random splat books...all good), starting at level 20 and will run until 35-45. Standard gestalt rules, prestige on one side, no dual type prestiges (mystic theurge, jade phoenix mage, ect) with double WBL. First 5 LA is free, the rest is on a single side. The stats are: 18,17,16,15,14,12 where you can pull one point and insert it into another (but no starting stat can be above 18, none can be below 8, before Race+level+template+other modifiers). Last thing, it is an Evil game.

Now that is out of the way, here are my plans. A Patriarch Vampire Lord (patriarch from ravenloft, ruled as a LA of 10), with the concept being a very powerful mage, but also a leader among his kind. For reference, he is LE with a very strict belief that mindless feeding/turning has made his people weak and animals, he seeks to rebuild the fear of old.

With all of that, my questions are what are some spellcasting classes that fit (besides incantrix/IotSFV because powa) the concept, and how would you go about building a vampire ruler? As a bonus question, does anyone know of how to be completely immune to the sunlight? Since he is a mage, magic will be his biggest weapon. Not having that in the sun will be.....disconcerting.

Much appreciation for reading

MisterKaws
2016-08-29, 06:02 PM
Well, if you can dodge books fast enough, Iron Heart Surge can turn the sun into a dead star by choosing "Sunlight" as the effect, so just get a level of Warblade on the second gestalt half at level 20 or something.

You should probably get Deflect Arrows too. I'm pretty sure a book would be an improvised ranged weapon.

InvisibleBison
2016-08-29, 06:21 PM
Some ideas about avoiding sun vulnerability:

- You could research a spell to temporarily protect you from the effect (I thought there was a spell that did that in the Spell Compendium, but I couldn't find it).
- If you find a way to be native to somewhere other than the Material Plane, avoid planar effects (from the Spell Compendium) might mitigate the effect of the sunlight. It's short duration, but you should be able to afford a custom continuous item.
- This is probably the cheesiest idea, but if you can get access to a sarrukh, it might be able to use manipulate form to remove your sunlight vulnerability entirely.
- If all else fails, you can simply carry a region of darkness around with you, either through a darkness spell of some sort or a simple parasol.

Rebel7284
2016-08-29, 06:33 PM
This would have been such a great opportunity to be a black ethergaunt.

Consider Evolved Undead a bunch of times.

martixy
2016-08-29, 07:24 PM
Unchained Rogue 20 / Factotum 16 / Warblade 1 / Swashbuckler 3 / Telflamar Shadowlord 6 / Swiftblade 10

Feats:
Daring Outlaw / Knowledge devotion / PF's Dimensional Dervish line
Ask about Epic destinies and go for mythic shadow.

See if you can switch LA for a few Race points for PF's race builder and go for speed.
As for templates, Shadow Creature, Obah blessed are all exceptional.

Maybe take Monk 1 with Kung Fu genius.

Obviously focus on Int and Dex.

If you really try, you can get absurd touch AC and Reflex saves and have the reflex apply to a heck of a lot of things(Defensive roll, the mythic shadow ability, etc).

And if I read everything correctly regarding Telf + Dim dervish, with a TWF(or more) build, you'll be doing 8 full attacks per round. With Dex + Int for damage. You'll also be getting sneak attack on almost all attacks(courtesy of Dimensional savant).
And you have a few extra standard actions each round to do other crap.

You could go for Scout + Swift Ambusher as well. And a level in Blade Dancer.
Progressing Martial classes is also always a valid option. Maybe get Master of Nine.
Or see if you can get a 'Martial Genius' feat approved - like monk's Kung Fu genius, but for Swordsage. And drop the monk level.

Ortesk
2016-08-29, 09:17 PM
Well, if you can dodge books fast enough, Iron Heart Surge can turn the sun into a dead star by choosing "Sunlight" as the effect, so just get a level of Warblade on the second gestalt half at level 20 or something.

You should probably get Deflect Arrows too. I'm pretty sure a book would be an improvised ranged weapon.

Well, sadly I rolled rather low of dexterity in real life....so, I might not be good at dodging them :p

Some ideas about avoiding sun vulnerability:

- You could research a spell to temporarily protect you from the effect (I thought there was a spell that did that in the Spell Compendium, but I couldn't find it).
- If you find a way to be native to somewhere other than the Material Plane, avoid planar effects (from the Spell Compendium) might mitigate the effect of the sunlight. It's short duration, but you should be able to afford a custom continuous item.
- This is probably the cheesiest idea, but if you can get access to a sarrukh, it might be able to use manipulate form to remove your sunlight vulnerability entirely.
- If all else fails, you can simply carry a region of darkness around with you, either through a darkness spell of some sort or a simple parasol.

That would be Night's mantle, from lords of darkness. level 4 cleric spell, 10 min/level. I'll have to crack the books to get it custom, but thanks for motivating me to splat dive :P

This would have been such a great opportunity to be a black ethergaunt.

Consider Evolved Undead a bunch of times.

I actually did consider a BE, seeing as how they are rather cool and have an innate 17th level wizard fun, but this is the first time I got to play the classic, old as heck vampire. I'll look into the evolved, I imagive I have a good chance of being evolved due to being 1800 years old :P

Sword-Geass
2016-08-29, 11:15 PM
About your problem with sunlight, I have the begginig of a solution. The Eclipse Epic Spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/eclipse.htm) will keep you (and all your kin) safe from light for 8 hours, but it must be tweaked to be something that you use everyday (200 miles may be overkill, and 4000xp burned per cast doesn't help either). Still, running with Night's Mantle as you said will be necessary until you hit 21 and can start with epic spells, but that shouldn't take that much as it's only one level.

Also, Night's Mantle can be cast through Limited Wish if your DM won't let you have a custom version of it.