PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian in CoS

SMac8988
2016-08-29, 04:59 PM
Without getting into the big debate of totem over frenzy and how bear is super over powered. Unless that has finally died out.

Can anyone tell me if bear is really needed during CoS. I don't want spoilers, but I am the only player in my group with any experience want just wanna be I am built right to try and keep them alive.

I see the benefit of resistance to everything, but the build I have in mind could seriously benefit from frenzied bonus attack. But if the resistance is needed, then I won't worry about that.

The dm I am playing with would probably let me change if I ask

Grod_The_Giant
2016-08-29, 05:28 PM
I played from 3-8 and didn't see much in the way of non-physical damage, no. We got our asses kicked by twigblights, revenants, and a giant tree, but nothing much in the way of magic.

SMac8988
2016-08-29, 06:06 PM
I played from 3-8 and didn't see much in the way of non-physical damage, no. We got our asses kicked by twigblights, revenants, and a giant tree, but nothing much in the way of magic.

Grod you are becoming my hero on this page man. Like you tell me exactly what I wanna hear and ya. Love ya buddy!

I am thinking frenzy 3, devotion 7, with the assume that level 10 will be the boss fight. I am not going get my normal second attack till level 7 at this point so wanted to figure out a way to counter that.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-08-29, 09:06 PM
Grod you are becoming my hero on this page man. Like you tell me exactly what I wanna hear and ya. Love ya buddy!

I am thinking frenzy 3, devotion 7, with the assume that level 10 will be the boss fight. I am not going get my normal second attack till level 7 at this point so wanted to figure out a way to counter that.
Haha, thanks. If you were doing a full six levels I'd say you should do totem purely for the fun at-will flavor stuff, but Frenzy is probably a much stronger panic button for the dip.

SMac8988
2016-08-29, 09:42 PM
That was the plan. Was just the dip. We are talking that if we survive CoS and all have out characters still we wanna move to another campaign and continue on. Idk off hand if there is a module that starts around level 10 and continues.

If we continue on my idea is 6 and 12. 6 frenzy and 12 devotion, gets me up in spell levels and a good amount of hp.

Thinking for feats great weapon, inspiring leader, resilient (wisdom), and either max our str and con or charger. Not on that order.

PeteNutButter
2016-08-29, 10:36 PM
I will say a later dungeon has a lot of non-physical damage. My group is probably facing strahd in another week or two, and can't speak to fighting him, but he is a caster so I wouldn't expect much physical damage from him...

SMac8988
2016-08-30, 07:25 AM
I have concerns about that, but I am hoping that by then I'll have either gotten gear to help or enough health it won't make a huge different.

Three smite filled great axe attacks on any undead I feel will solve most the problems I may run into. You know what the say, the beat defense is brutalizing everything with a giant axe!

Klorox
2016-08-30, 08:54 AM
When in doubt, bear is always better.

That being said, you know what type of creature Strahd is, right? I'm AFB, but I'm pretty sure the frenzy barbarian will give you some immunities that will totally help -- a lot.

SMac8988
2016-08-30, 09:55 AM
When in doubt, bear is always better.

That being said, you know what type of creature Strahd is, right? I'm AFB, but I'm pretty sure the frenzy barbarian will give you some immunities that will totally help -- a lot.

I knew in advance but it was just revealed to us in game, so my character now knows. But I am not going pure barb, so I'll sadly not get the immunity to charm and fear. But I will get it from paladin, least I hope.

SMac8988
2016-08-30, 11:35 AM
Also, without ruining to much, I have inadvertently read that there is a +2 greatsword out there. This wasn't the reason for the great weapon build, but difinately a plus. Now is that sword something we will no matter what come across or is it more so a random item we have a chance at?

dejarnjc
2016-08-30, 02:42 PM
Also, without ruining to much, I have inadvertently read that there is a +2 greatsword out there. This wasn't the reason for the great weapon build, but difinately a plus. Now is that sword something we will no matter what come across or is it more so a random item we have a chance at?

It really depends on what courses of action your group is taking to resolve a particular scenario. It's definitely not a random item but it's definitely possible that your group misses or is unable to get it.

Sir cryosin
2016-08-30, 02:56 PM
As someone who's played a paladin and CoS. I'll give you a vice you are not wanting to spend all of your spell slots on smite you are better off using the spell slots for spells like protect from Good and Evil magic weapon and maybe bless. I don't think I ever used any smarts at all during my time playing a paladin and that campaign.

SMac8988
2016-08-30, 03:43 PM
It really depends on what courses of action your group is taking to resolve a particular scenario. It's definitely not a random item but it's definitely possible that your group misses or is unable to get it.

Our goal is to try and go everywhere and do everything. I don't know the whole realm but I really wanna get into everywhere and go through as much as possible. I just heard of this and wanna be sure j find it. Lol.

Gonna suck if I miss it.

I was thinking mainly focus on scared weapon and great weapon most the time. And use smite ad back up damage

dejarnjc
2016-08-31, 08:33 AM
Our goal is to try and go everywhere and do everything. I don't know the whole realm but I really wanna get into everywhere and go through as much as possible. I just heard of this and wanna be sure j find it. Lol.

Gonna suck if I miss it.

I was thinking mainly focus on scared weapon and great weapon most the time. And use smite ad back up damage

If you go everywhere and do everything then you'll probably end up with it at some point.

PeteNutButter
2016-08-31, 09:28 AM

Gonna suck if I miss it.

Just walk around with detect magic up and murder everyone who glows. That's how my group did it. :smallbiggrin:

SMac8988
2016-08-31, 10:44 AM
Just walk around with detect magic up and murder everyone who glows. That's how my group did it. :smallbiggrin:

Lol I don't think anyone in my group has it selected right now. But it's an idea. I just want it. We plan to keep these characters, if they don't die, and transfer them to Rise of Timat. And I'm the only one in my group who uses great weapons, so I need it in my life, unless there is better things to find that is.

djreynolds
2016-09-01, 03:36 AM
Do you like necrotic damage? Or fireballs or lightning bolts? Just taken resilient wisdom, lots of that.

You could definitely pull of the spear and shield, this is Sparta thing with a barbarian in CoS

SMac8988
2016-09-01, 06:20 AM
Do you like necrotic damage? Or fireballs or lightning bolts? Just taken resilient wisdom, lots of that.

You could definitely pull of the spear and shield, this is Sparta thing with a barbarian in CoS

I've thought of that. But one of my friends is playing a two weapon battle master, so I'm trying to keep from having over lapin gear and weapons.

As of now I'm a great weapon guy, he uses the two small ones, a monk and druid caster.

PeteNutButter
2016-09-01, 08:16 AM
What I like most about the CoS book also it's biggest problem in play: It is totally open ended. In practice this meant our group went everywhere at least 3 levels lower than they should have been doing it. Maybe it was just a problem of AL not allowing milestone leveling, so we were just always under level. Or maybe we just did things out of wack.

SMac8988
2016-09-01, 01:51 PM
I'm honestly scared of that. Two of my players are rather new and not big on running from combat. And I know there is a chance we could, at level 3, walk into the end fight with nothijg.

PeteNutButter
2016-09-01, 05:29 PM
I'm honestly scared of that. Two of my players are rather new and not big on running from combat. And I know there is a chance we could, at level 3, walk into the end fight with nothijg.

Fortunately, its hard to die for good early on...

SMac8988
2016-09-01, 05:55 PM
That is good to hear. We have only had one session and it's been a pain to try and get everyone togehter.

Which sucks cause I like my character and his back story