PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder In need of help making an class archtype called punch wizard

RustyController
2016-08-29, 09:00 PM
Ok so, this is my first ever post on here so bare with me.

I am trying to make a class for pathfinder that is basically a warlock or wizard, all their spells are channeled through an fist attack (cestus, bare fisted, gaunlet, ect) nut i dont know how to go about this.
All i know is i wanna change it so any touch based spell is this:
•the spells are boosted by the unarmed damage
• mildly str based
•i just want a reason to be able to explode fireballs in someone's face instead of throwing them
•some sort of lunge or leap to help close gaps

I am hoping this crazy community can help me on this endeavor

PapaQuackers
2016-08-29, 09:22 PM
You could make a Magus and dip levels of monk, or perhaps work with your DM to make a Magus variant that focuses on unarmed attacks. It probably wouldn't take much doing, and if you like I could give it a crack for you.

RustyController
2016-08-29, 09:27 PM
You could make a Magus and dip levels of monk, or perhaps work with your DM to make a Magus variant that focuses on unarmed attacks. It probably wouldn't take much doing, and if you like I could give it a crack for you.

I was hoping to give it some of its own feats and everything, not just a retextured magus, but if you wanna try be my guest! By all means lets make a knuckle mage a reality!

RustyController
2016-08-29, 10:02 PM
I may just evole this into its own mini class or somthing, i dont know yet, honestly i just want firepunches, tremorpunches/kicks and other various elemental slams as well as some small magic use, dunno yet, still open for ideas though!

Sayt
2016-08-29, 11:50 PM
How abut a prestige class requiring IUS and stunning fist+ 3rd level arcane casting. Advances casting somewhere betweend 8/10 and fullcasting. Advances monk AC, speed and unarmed damage die, and switches monk calculations (AC, stunning fist dc, ki pool) to int from wis. At first level it grants spellstrike and spell combat, and subsequentry advances 3/4 bab and gives the ability to spellstrike with blasts, cones, etc as you level up.?

RustyController
2016-08-30, 12:23 AM
How abut a prestige class requiring IUS and stunning fist+ 3rd level arcane casting. Advances casting somewhere betweend 8/10 and fullcasting. Advances monk AC, speed and unarmed damage die, and switches monk calculations (AC, stunning fist dc, ki pool) to int from wis. At first level it grants spellstrike and spell combat, and subsequentry advances 3/4 bab and gives the ability to spellstrike with blasts, cones, etc as you level up.?

Mmhm... mmhm... i see.. this would help more if i could understand such strange and mystic languages... talk to me like i am a 5 year old please, i'm a bit stupid, also i am hoping this class could be used as a starter, if i remember prestige classes are a bit expensive

Digitalfruitz
2016-08-30, 06:33 AM
Check out this sorcerer archetype:
http://thatboomerkid.tumblr.com/post/119829288921/freak-punching-muscle-monster

RustyController
2016-08-30, 08:19 AM
Hmmm, i like it, its close to what i want, i may cut what i want from it and bring it to my knuckle mage, thanks bro!

Digitalfruitz
2016-08-30, 10:58 AM
Also their is a Dnd 3.5 homebrew class that is basically what you want:
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Muscle_Wizard_(3.5e_Class)

RustyController
2016-08-30, 12:50 PM
Thing is digitalfruitz is the muscle wizard simple punches and things explode, i want to make it so thst any and all touch based spells are instead of touch are now considered melee attacks with a magic boost, then again i may be doing the "i want my groceries in one bag but i want the bag to not be heavy" thing

Digitalfruitz
2016-08-31, 12:57 PM
You might want to look into just making an archetype for magus

tsj
2016-08-31, 01:44 PM
That muscle wizard looks like it's a really low tier like it's on par with the monk

Could be kind of cool if the "punch wizard" ended up as a tier 3 version of "muscle wizard"... would need a lot of out of combat abilities for that though

Otoh.. that muscle monster also looks way cooler than the muscle wizard and seems to be up there around tier 4 or even 3 with his level 7 spells and beefcake :-)

Tier 1 is max while tier 6 is the lowest tier (mostly npc classes)

Wizards are tier 1 and can do just about anything and are generally way too powerful.

Tier 3 is the "sweet spot"... lots of power and options but nothing that breaks the game

Truenamer is actually lower than tier 6 since the class is not even functioning properly

Sayt
2016-08-31, 10:17 PM

Mmhm... mmhm... i see.. this would help more if i could understand such strange and mystic languages... talk to me like i am a 5 year old please, i'm a bit stupid, also i am hoping this class could be used as a starter, if i remember prestige classes are a bit expensive

In that case, you want to look at the Magus from Pathfinder's Advanced Players Guide. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus) Take the Improved Unarmed Strike feat. This is likely the simplest possible build of this concept. There is an excellent guide to the magus here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?423754-Myrrh-Frankincense-and-Steel-Kurald-Galain-s-Guide-to-the-Magus)

And I'll parse this out my advise a bit :).

IUS is improved unarmed strike. It let's toy punch people without provoking attacks of opportunity. Stunning fist is a feat. Monks get both at level one.

Have each level advance the spell casting of an arcane spellcaster, granting caster level, spell slots and spells know as if you'd taken a level in an arcane spell casting class, ie Wizard.

Spell combat lets you make a full attack and cast a spell at the same time. Spellstrike lets you deliver spells with a range of touch as weapon attacks, so you can punch them, cast shocking grasp, and then punch them with shocking grasp.

RustyController
2016-09-03, 11:50 AM
ALRIIIGHTY! using good ole sayt's formula i made a knuck mage, first session i made a kolbold get embedded in a wall by using magic missile's force damage instead of a projectile! Thanks guys!