PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a Melee Debuffer

Chidori
2016-08-29, 09:25 PM
Hi

I wanna make a Melee Debuffer in a Eberron campaign. we go from lvl 10 up to 20 (that what the DM plan)

I have access to all book(not 3rd party, nor psionic. only WoTC) and dragon magazin.

I must play either LN,LG,NG,CG,N,CN for alignment.
Can only have 1 Template
We play with the favored class rule
cannot take binder

I was thinking of

Hexblade 4 with the Dark companion variantion
as for the other 6 lvl i really dont know. maybe warblade
was also thinking to go kensai so i can have the enchament on weapon that debuff/aid to debuff and power surge is always good

gorfnab
2016-08-30, 12:31 AM
How about stacking some Fear based effects? The Fear Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8759)
Imperious Command (DotU) + Dreadful Wrath (PGtF) + Never Outnumbered (CS) + other debuffing stuff (Dark Companion ACF) = :smallsmile:
Use a Sudden Stunning (DMGII) weapon for an added effect.

Big Fau
2016-08-30, 01:40 AM
How about stacking some Fear based effects? The Fear Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8759)
Imperious Command (DotU) + Dreadful Wrath (PGtF) + Never Outnumbered (CS) + other debuffing stuff (Dark Companion ACF) = :smallsmile:
Use a Sudden Stunning (DMGII) weapon for an added effect.

Seconding this, adding the idea of either Blade of Orien (for super Shadowpounce), Deneith Warden (for multiple intimidates/round), Shadow Hunter (paired with DotU's Darkness SLA options), or Storm Sentry (for some decent BFC). All from Dragonmarked.

ShurikVch
2016-08-30, 07:22 AM
Unholy Abomination PrC (Dragon #313) at 3rd level gets Blasphemous Visage: everyone in 60' radius get -2 penalty on attacks and saves from fear (Will save), and everyone adjacent will get d4 Str damage from stench (Fort save), and those who failed that save must make it again at the next turn, or take even more Str damage

Note: despite the PrC's name and fluff, it doesn't actually required neither to be Evil, nor to worship something Evil

IcarusWulfe
2016-08-30, 07:59 AM
First thing that comes to mind is a fear stacking Hexblade.

Eldariel
2016-08-30, 07:59 AM
Warblade/Crusader/Swordsage all get a number of decent debuffs in forms of maneuvers but also some stances that negative influence nearby enemies (easiest example is the 1st level stance, Ironguard's Glare). Other than that, the ol' simple reach weapon + tripping is an efficient form of martial debuffing, denying movement and putting enemies are -4 attack/AC. I can also vouch for Imperious Command + Fearsome Armor [Drow of the Underdark] + Never Outnumbered though I wouldn't invest in it too much as fear immunity is a thing.

ShurikVch
2016-08-30, 08:28 AM
This thread: Melee Debuffs Handbook -- A few Nice Things for Melee (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?235631-Melee-Debuffs-Handbook-A-few-Nice-Things-for-Melee)

Chidori
2016-08-31, 03:36 PM
First tnx for all the replies.

Ive looked into what you all have shared to me.

I think i may go with spiked chain tripping and intimidate/fear

Is hexblade with dark companion worth to take in a build like that?

ExLibrisMortis
2016-08-31, 04:26 PM
The UA evil paladins get a sort of reverse Aura of Courage. Goes nicely with hexblade (double cha to saves vs. spells, Dark Companion), a level in crusader (Iron Guard's Glare et al.), and maybe the Unseelie Fey template (Winter's Chill).

Chidori
2016-08-31, 04:31 PM
Sadly i cant be evil otherwise i would go hexblade/paladin of tyranny/ blackguard

I can be any good or any neutral

ExLibrisMortis
2016-08-31, 04:34 PM
Sadly i cant be evil otherwise i would go hexblade/paladin of tyranny/ blackguard

I can be any good or any neutral
Derp, right, I read right over that. Sorry about that...

More debuff stuff: Knight (difficult terrain where you threaten), the Scalding Gust invocation (permanent gust of wind that also deals fire damage).

Hiro Quester
2016-08-31, 08:48 PM
A bard can be an excellent debuffer. Especially with the Doomspeak feat (enemy is -10 to all saves, attack rolls, skill checks until your next turn).

That plus the inspire Awe ACF can be well with a few other fear-stacking effects.

A debuffung bardsader or bardblade might be worth considering, if the white Raven thing could also apply to the inspire awe that you trade inspire courage for.

Chidori
2016-08-31, 08:55 PM
Would a half-minotaur goliath with a spiked chain for tripping. (Debuff 1)
That focus on intimidation to do duel of will(from tome of battle). (Debuff 2)
And maybe go with an other class with a different debuff. (Maybe hexblade but i dont know if my cha will be good)

Any suggestion for feat and build.

Ill try to make a build tonite with this idea and post it when it done.

illyahr
2016-09-01, 01:05 AM
I recently picked up Oriental Adventures and, I must say, the amount of decent BFC in it is astounding.

For example:
Falling Star Strike - punch a guy in the eyes and try to blind him.
Choke Hold - maintain a pin and the guy passes out for a few rounds
Freezing the Lifeblood (also in Complete Warrior) - punch a guy into paralysis

The DC on these is 10 + 1/2 your level + your Wisdom modifier. The only issue with some of these is high Wisdom requirement and maybe the Stunning Fist requirement, depending on build.

Gruftzwerg
2016-09-01, 11:29 AM
how about some monk PRCs?
I would offer Arcanopath Monk if want some debuffs against caster or Monk of the enabled Hand if you fight many humanoid enemies (disarm, ignore armor..).

Chidori
2016-09-01, 12:49 PM
Well i did make a build for halfminotaur goliath. But it no good it turn out to be a glass cannon. :P

Well i now we will fight lots of cultist of the emerald claw and blood of vol member.

The bard with doomspeak look interesting.
Or
Monk could be interesting too.

Kinda off topic but will work for a monk build

If i do a warforged monk can he use the Skin of Ectoplasmic Armor. I ask as warforged cant wear armor but this item dont use the armor slot and do i keep my monk ability while wearing this?

bean illus
2016-09-01, 01:45 PM
I know that building 20 level is much different than building 10 level, but i have always been interested in the potential of Martial Rouge (SRD) with Passive Way Monk (UA). The combination is a feat machine, and with a level or two of Fighter makes a darn good tripper in 4-6 levels.

1 Martial Rogue/1 human . . . . . . . 3 feats
2 Monk/2, 2 bonus feats + 3rd lvl . 3 feats
4 Martial Rogue/2 . . . bonus feat . 1 feat = 7 feats in 4 levels. You won't get spiked chain tripper faster (i don't think), and the Rogue base = lotsa skills, with Monk for Saves.

- maybe -

6 Fighter/2, 2 bonus feats +6th lvl . 3 feats

From there you're able to add Barbarian or Ranger, or anything you want (scout/swordsage/whatever).

I like the idea of a Fear stacking tripper. Damn. Get at will Enlarge/etc and you're all over the place. Don't forget though: Fear/tripping immunity are real things, so you'd need more.

IF YOU ONLY TOOK THE FIRST THREE LEVELS, and then 17 of Cloistered Cleric, i would feel like that was a fun build.

Chidori
2016-09-01, 04:10 PM
Well could psychic warrior be good for enlarge and other good self buff for tripping and fear.

Also is there a way you can fear those immune to fear/mind affecting ability. Like a class feature or feat?

ShurikVch
2016-09-01, 05:07 PM
Also is there a way you can fear those immune to fear/mind affecting ability. Like a class feature or feat?Immunity to fear: Greater Master of Terror - 4th level CF of Dread Witch PrC (Heroes of Horror)
Mind affecting: Song of the Dead [Metamagic] feat (Dragon #312) - allow Mind-Affecting spells to effect Intelligence Undead

AFAIK, that's the only exceptions

Chidori
2016-09-01, 05:31 PM
Dread witch would be really good but it does not the melee part. :/ but thank

As for the metamagic. This could maybe work with a bard build. But it only affect intelligence undead. Im sure ill face some. Due to house Vol. And as the dm plan to go from 10 to 20 then maybe fight lady vol. But it too one dimensional (as in target only undead) but it still good to know for future build tnx

ShurikVch
2016-09-01, 06:21 PM
Dread witch would be really good but it does not the melee part. :/That problem may be partially fixed by entering into Uncanny Trickster or Legacy Champion PrC: they both - after the 1st level - progressing class features of one of your previous classes; both have BAB ¾, HD is d8 (for Legacy Champion) or d6 - (for Uncanny Trickster).