PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Alignment for a character that doesn't think much about alignment

Zhentarim
2016-08-29, 11:33 PM
I just had an idea for a Mary Poppins-like character with these stats:

Dual Talented Female Human Bard (Celebrity or Demagogue, probably the latter)
str 12
dex 16
con 8
int 14
wis 14
cha 16

I'm thinking of having her dual wield saps, and maybe have her keep a crossbow in her back pocket. I just really wish I could use a parasol as a weapon. It fits the flavor so well!

I'm not sure what she is alignment-wise, but she doesn't care if she hurts people and she doesn't have a particularly strong code of self-imposed ethics. However, she has attached herself like a leech to the underbelly of the Chellish government and uses her talents and mental abilities to present a good face to the people for the Chellish government. She doesn't harbor any particularly evil sentiments, and doesn't even consider morality that much. She just does her job and enjoys the benefits.

legomaster00156
2016-08-29, 11:54 PM
Sounds True Neutral to me.

Zhentarim
2016-08-30, 12:14 AM

That was my thought

Eldonauran
2016-08-30, 01:53 PM
Well, overall I tend to agree that the alignment sounds Neutral. However ... "she doesn't care if she hurts people" is a red flag. Ask yourself if she just "looks out for Number One" or if she "looks out for Number One at the expense of Number Two". If it is the first, then we get a pretty solid Neutral feel. If she is willing to harm others, ie Number Two is going down if necessary and I won't feel bad about it, then she definitely resounds on the Evil side of the spectrum. Neutral people tend to feel some remorse when they have to hurt others to save themselves. Good people find the thought abhorrent and Evil looks for the next victim.

As it is, if evil, she sounds like a 'Bad Cop' (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19920126&postcount=2) (see bottom of post).

Strigon
2016-08-30, 02:25 PM
I must, respectfully, disagree.
Evil doesn't have to be moustache-twirling, puppy-kicking, I-do-whatever-is-best-for-me to be Evil.
You haven't said all that much about the L/C axis, but "willing to do bad things without a care about the moral consequences" sounds pretty clear-cut Evil to me. Probably NE, with a tendency toward the Chaotic.

Good is someone who sacrifices themselves for others.
Neutral is someone who will help, if doing so isn't too difficult or risky. They might do something bad, in dire need, but they won't like it and there are lines they simply won't cross.
Someone who doesn't care about morality and is willing to perform Evil acts is, quite simply, Evil.

Really, she strikes me somewhat like Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter. Doesn't care to avoid hurting people, no ethics, uses position of power to appear impressive and virtuous... I'd put her firmly under the Evil category.

P.S., if you really want to use a parasol as a weapon, just ask the GM. It's just refluffing; ask to buy a sword or whatever, and just say - in terms of appearance - it's a parasol. Shouldn't affect the game in any way, so it seems reasonable.

Zhentarim
2016-08-30, 03:46 PM
I must, respectfully, disagree.
Evil doesn't have to be moustache-twirling, puppy-kicking, I-do-whatever-is-best-for-me to be Evil.
You haven't said all that much about the L/C axis, but "willing to do bad things without a care about the moral consequences" sounds pretty clear-cut Evil to me. Probably NE, with a tendency toward the Chaotic.

Good is someone who sacrifices themselves for others.
Neutral is someone who will help, if doing so isn't too difficult or risky. They might do something bad, in dire need, but they won't like it and there are lines they simply won't cross.
Someone who doesn't care about morality and is willing to perform Evil acts is, quite simply, Evil.

Really, she strikes me somewhat like Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter. Doesn't care to avoid hurting people, no ethics, uses position of power to appear impressive and virtuous... I'd put her firmly under the Evil category.

P.S., if you really want to use a parasol as a weapon, just ask the GM. It's just refluffing; ask to buy a sword or whatever, and just say - in terms of appearance - it's a parasol. Shouldn't affect the game in any way, so it seems reasonable.

She is definately going to be a Demagogue bard who dual weilds saps usually, but uses sickles sometimes, too.

MilleniaAntares
2016-08-30, 04:53 PM
On mobile, but there is a trait that lets you use a profession's tools as a weapon. Just find a profession that uses umbrellas. Governess?

Or invest in a refluffed combat scabbard or whatever it's called.

Spore
2016-08-30, 05:01 PM
Between TN and NE. It is really a fringe case. She might switch alignments every so often. For the purposes of mechanics (such as spells) I would consider her neutral however.

Zhentarim
2016-08-30, 05:21 PM
Between TN and NE. It is really a fringe case. She might switch alignments every so often. For the purposes of mechanics (such as spells) I would consider her neutral however.

When she works for the government as a spokesperson, one of her rallying cries is to "Make Cheliax great again!"

"The Iomedeans aren't really honorable people. They want to tear down everything we've worked for these last hundred years. They are all criminals, the lot of them. Can I have a 'Hell yeah!'?"

1d20 Diplomacy to improve relationship wih crowd.

Spore
2016-08-30, 06:14 PM
When she works for the government as a spokesperson, one of her rallying cries is to "Make Cheliax great again!"

I redact my statement. She is stupid evil.

Zhentarim
2016-08-30, 09:02 PM
I redact my statement. She is stupid evil.

Dolly Clump says "You are a sexist pig working with the rebellion, and you just don't want to see the first female lord mayor walk the streets of our fine city. The Iomedeans don't send their best here. They send the ones who hate our fatherland. When Lord Asmodeus wrote the terms of our nation's contract, he didn't intend there to be barriers keeping us apart. He intended for us to tear down the barriers separating the denizens from their countrymen, and to build up the barriers keeping out the radical Iomedeans that threaten our Lord's perfect order. Support the correct borders and make Cheliax great again!"

-Walks offstage-

"Ok, Lord Thrune, I didn't say that crap for nothing. Where's the speaking fee you promised?"

Hell's Vengeance will be a fun AP

atemu1234
2016-08-31, 07:30 AM

Yep, sounds like either TN or NE.