PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for comic updating

rxmd
2007-07-07, 02:49 AM
Hi,

from what I understand from the announcement of Erfworld, the webcomic portion of GiantITP.com is supposed to develop into a more general presentation and hosting platform for high-quality fantasy webcomics. However, at the moment Rich apparently has to upload comics to the site manually; that way every webcomic beyond OOTS creates workload for Rich that isn't really related to his own comic and work. Also, it creates problems when Rich doesn't have time to upload things, for whatever reason (like at the moment with Erfworld 60, where the artists have already announced quite some time ago that the comic is ready and only awaiting uploading).

Wouldn't it be a good thing to have a more flexible updating system, that works with an upload queue for each webcomic and activates the next one, either manually (launched by the respective comic authors) and/or on a sort of automatic, timetable-driven basis? That way one could have updates for other comics without forcing Rich to do the updating himself, and thus spare him one boring administrative task.

Philipp

Dugray
2007-07-07, 02:52 AM
Probably would be a good idea, just because Rich is bad at getting his comics up on time doesn't mean Rob and Erfworld should be punished. Hopefully they get a way of putting up their comics up.

Mr Wizard
2007-07-07, 03:30 AM
Perhaps something Like Schlock Mercenaries set up. May just be too expensive or difficult to do though. Hopefully with the sales of his latest book, he can scrape up an upgrade of sorts.

Or perhaps traditional media will finally notice the talent in New Media and Disney or some such will come knocking asking for movie rights and a million dollar contract :smallbiggrin:

The Giant
2007-07-07, 03:43 AM
There are two flaws with this idea.

The first is assuming that I would ever have the time (and money!) to invest in a major site overhaul that would save me about 40 seconds of work twice a week.

The second is assuming that Erfworld would have been on time this week if it weren't for me (sorry, Rob and Jamie). I got the Erfworld that I posted just a few minutes ago earlier today, so the delay is not necessarily always on my end of the process.

Regneva
2007-07-07, 04:47 AM
I always thought this was a better idea (Sorry rich)

It may take a short time for you to upload the comic but I think it would be a lot more efficient if you could bring in some autonomy.

And why would it be a major site overhaul? I think it could be achieved quite more easier then you may realize. Heck I may even volunteer as a web programmer for getting this system up for you!

As for the Erfworld, yeah they don't update on time as well. But with such an automatic system, authors of both comics would be able to post comics "in advance" when they get more time than usual. It would also be nice to have some filler material stored too.

Giant, I think you might want to think more on this. I'd really like to make this happen

Ancalagon
2007-07-07, 08:09 AM
You did realise the problem about "uploading" a new comic is not the process of the uploading itself but the process of, hrm, actually creating the comic before that? So I fail to see why some script that automatically updates the site should be of any use.

When a new comic is ready, it gets updated with a few mouseclicks. When it is not ready, your script is... useless (since there is nothing that could get... uploaded).

Hushdawg
2007-07-07, 08:16 AM
Personally I think people get a little too pissy about delays in a FREE webcomic.

But that's just me.

I'm happy to read it whenever it comes up.

I also realize that just because I had to work on July 4th doesn't mean that I should deny my favorite webcomic artists a day with their families.

Chill out everyone, be happy with whatcha got when ya get it! sheesh!

EntilZha
2007-07-07, 08:18 AM
My suggestions:

NONE!!

Rich, Rob, and Jamie can give us their comics whenever they damn well please. The update schedule is not set in stone. I would prefer a more regular schedule for the comic updates, too, but stuff happens. For the quality (high-to-superior) and the price (free), it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

Ancalagon
2007-07-07, 08:51 AM
I also want to add a theory:
The suggestion here is not - as it was claimed - about easing the work of authors! It is only about the people who want their (*cough, cough*) comic exactly at the time when *they* expect it. They want as much as fast as possible for *themselves*. Maybe they do not know about this themselves but that does not change the ugly truth.

Ego-centered hypocricy, I shout in your faces!