PDA

View Full Version : It came from the Dagon Sector! Retrofuture mixing Eldritch Horror & Pulp Sci-fi

Anderlith
2016-08-30, 02:30 PM
I had an idea late at night a few days back about a retrofuture pulpy scifi 1930-50s setting, that also was neck deep in Eldritch Horror & Cthulhu vibes. While many Rpgs have aspects of this idea none have the flavor im after. So ive decided im going to build it using Savage Worlds & see if i cant make it a decent setting. (Id love to make this an actual Setting but idk how to market & sell it etc) Below are some of my ideas, feel free to make suggestions or disagree or give pointers for following genre & style.

Lore/Background so far,

During Atomic age 1940s or so Earth, a professor/scientist went mad studing a stone archeologists uncovered in the Salt Plains of south west america. He went crazy & locked himself away scribbling on any surface available, in multiple languages, only some of them known. He was later locked up & taken to an asylum. But the mad writing was slowly decyphered leading to a vast increase in scientific knowledge.

Mainly rayguns, space polymers, robotics, & rocketships. The bread and butter of Pulp Sci-fi.

Extra dimentional travel is discovered by using psionics & the human mind to travel between the angles of space. (Basically tesseract)

The mad ravings of the professor also detail coordinates to a region of space accessable now by Angled Space. Upon reaching this location humanity names it the Dagon Sector. In it are multiple worlds & several star systems. Also a singular madness of a black sun, & the horrid vastness of a titanic Old One fetus, dead & dreaming, waiting to be born.

Things im having trouble with are coming up with a name for people exploring the Dagon Sector, something like Intrepid Explorer or something. Id like to use something like Iconic Frameworks for characters, so that the game feels different for dashing captains, jaded space marines, & tainted mutants.

Ill post more if you guys are interested. This is my first real try at homebrewing something bigger than a power or class, so any suggestions are welcome.

Allnightmask
2016-09-03, 09:10 PM
I love everything I am hearing about this. I will follow this but I don't know if I can contribute in any fashion.

tsj
2016-09-04, 02:30 AM
Name for explorers..
How about Dagonauths?

Nice setting.... very much like fallout 4 but with additional stuff added

I would suggest for the robots to base them off old Sci fi movies or something like captain proton from star trek voyager

Anderlith
2016-09-11, 09:59 PM
Races so far.

Human-Just like you but with better hair
Mutant-Mutated by radiation, cosmic energy, or horrific experimentation
Atlantean-Human deviation, from the planet New Atlantis
Lezonian- All woman race, created by scientifically minded women
Rebel Krell- Servitor race for the Old Ones, these are those who seek freedom from their evil society
Robot- Atomic powered A.I.
I'm thinking of adding more but I don't want bloat. Humanity should still be the focus of the game.

Krell are big troglodyte/locathah types
Robots are tin cans with noodle arms

Trying to create rules for Rocketship travel into the Dreamlands or Dark Dimension. Rules for alternate robot bodies, and rules for mutations. Also need a cool robot race name.

In anyone knows a bit about the Mythos & could chime in Id love to have some advice.