PDA

View Full Version : The important announcement about OotS

battleburn
2007-07-07, 04:03 AM
Hey Rich,
Thank you for explaining to us.
I understand and good luck with these illnesses.

If it doesn't update as often, I won't be less of a fan because of it.

Just saying..

-Battleburn

Need_A_Life
2007-07-07, 04:14 AM
Thanks for telling us all about this, Rich.

I know how hard it can be to tell people about a medical condition, and making an announcement on a heavily visited website is more than I could've done.

Make sure to take all the rest you need, you've already provided us with years of entertainment for free, and even more for a very reasonable price (books -1 through 2 are standing on my shelf and the boardgame is in the closet).

Take off a week, take off a month or however long you need, your fanbase will survive as long as you do.

Best wishes from Denmark!

Kilkomir
2007-07-07, 04:17 AM
I just wanted to say that I agree with Battleburn.

The future of the comic is more important to me then you getting stressed out over a deadline that you can change for the good of us all in the long run.

I'm also exited about these new projects that you mention and will be looking forward to them being released in the future.

Just get better, Rich and don't work yourself into the ground. Nice touch with the links to charity, too. :smallsmile:

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-07-07, 04:20 AM
I can very easily see myself in a situation similar to his. I have a few pretty live-affecting conditions and I'm sure if I had a webcomic, much less a famous one, I would have to think about my health rather than a comic.

I feel his pain, or rather, I would if I were a successful webcomic genius.

LordSaul
2007-07-07, 04:28 AM
Just want to add my voice in support Rich. Here's wishing you the best of health, and all the time you need to recover. I'll love every comic when it arrives.

Wildrose
2007-07-07, 04:33 AM
Thanks Rich, for what it's worth I think you've made exactly the right decision - thanks for letting us know what's going on. You take care of yourself, have a long-distance hug xx

hyperblue
2007-07-07, 04:49 AM
I am a huge fan of you Rich, just like everybody on this board. I purchased all books paying even double shipping prices ( greetings from istanbul :) ) Important thing is, we love you, because you take care of our sense of humor and take it to the next level. Technically speaking, if there were no "YOU", we couldnt be huge fan of you, so please please oh pretty please be there for us, because we will be there for you no matter what decisions you take...

greetings,
Hyperblue

16oz
2007-07-07, 04:54 AM
Hey Rich, I kinda know what you're going through, I myself have one of those chronic illness things, although not as bad as yours (it flares up maybe once a year, sometimes twice). Just wanted to add to the voices saying take care of yourself first, the strip somewhere farther down the line. After all, if we lose YOU, how will we know how it all ends??:smalltongue:

So, take care, and may your flare ups be few and far between!

damieus
2007-07-07, 04:57 AM
Hey, best of luck to you Rich, but I wanted to put in my 2cp about the "guest artist" idea.

I'd really rather if you didn't.

To be honest, I love Oots and when it comes out, it fills me with joy, but I would much rather you take a month off than fill the space with something that is likely to be not quite up to par. Unfortunately, my experiences with guest strips in other webcomics have been universally awful.

Lord Herman
2007-07-07, 05:06 AM
Thanks for letting us know, Rich. You've made the right decision.

^, I'd have to disagree. The last time Rich used guest comics (a long time ago, when he sprained his wrist), they turned out quite good.

Hywel
2007-07-07, 05:16 AM
Hey Rich,

Thank you for letting us know what's happening. As somone who runs a regularly-updating website business myself I know JUST how stressful it is come update time.

Chill out. Three a week, one a week, one a month... whatever. It's all good. Que sera sera, don't kill yourself doing it. OOTS is the funniest strip I know of and it has a great story and great characters too. If we nag you for more, it is because we totally want to know what happens next :smallwink:

Oh, and thanks for reprinting Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, been trying to pay you some money for that book for months! :smallbiggrin:

Hywel.

nli10
2007-07-07, 06:13 AM
Big hugs to the Giant from us in the UK.

I know you said you don't need the money, but I'm thinking now would be a good time for all us holder-outers to finally get around to ordering the books. :smallsmile:

Again, thanks for all the effectively free comics and fantastic conversations they produced. Long may they continue.

And hey - all the best strip writers get sabbaticals don't they, so why shouldn't you. :smallbiggrin:

Felixaar
2007-07-07, 06:16 AM
Rest well Rich. Just make sure you dont get amnesia and forget how the story ends. We would hate to have to torture it out of you...

Just Kidding. Maybe.

All the same, best wishes and best of luck.

Shotaro
2007-07-07, 06:35 AM
I appreciate the announcement too. It is very frustrating as a fan to wait for days and occasionally weeks on end for an update and now I know why I personally will be a lot more understanding. (In fact totally understanding)

As for the break after this arc why not use the Dragon magazine comics? They're there and it has been mentioned in the past that they would be uploaded to the site for those of us who don't, haven't or couldn't buy it (or in my case starting a subscription one month and the next month it gets announced that its been canned).

Anyway respect to you Giant for the bravery of that announcement and also for posting links to charities for those inclined to throw money at you in the hopes it gets you better.

EDIT: Oh yeah and get well soon, rest until you feel ready to work.

Best wishes and better health Rich.

Amazing Ronaldo
2007-07-07, 06:46 AM
Rich,

I would always tell others to take care of their health and their family first. So you made a great decision. I may miss reading OOTS on a regular schedule but I would rather see you healthy than anything else. Be well soon!

Take care of yourself,
-R

Henk
2007-07-07, 06:59 AM
Take care of yourself and all the best to you!

I am cronically ill myself (cronic pain) so I guess I can understand what you are going through.

Take it easy and good luck to you and your significant other.

/cheer

Henk

P.S.

Maybe your "vacation" will be a good time to start posting those "Dragon Magazine only" comics if thats already possible (not sure if they have an exclusive agreement that prevents you from doing so as long as they still print it).

Blink Dawg
2007-07-07, 07:00 AM
I agree with the general sentiment; There's no point in overworking yourself, Mr Burlew, and you certainly shouldn't do it for silly ole us. :smallwink:

Twilight Jack
2007-07-07, 07:11 AM
Perhaps this announcement will finally put paid to what dozens of locked threads and moderator warnings could not: all the "where's the strip?" threads in their various, occasionally sloppily camoflaged forms.

In any event, Giant, take care of yourself. Those who care more about your comic output than your well-being are the sort of fans you needn't worry about pleasing.

It's good to hear that your SO takes such good care of you. It's good when people can rely upon one another. Hell, I don't know you, and that little tidbit gave me a warm feeling. Chalk it up in the blessings column. Maybe it even clocks in before "being a creative genius and like unto a tiny, webcomicking GOD!"

Yeah, I'd put it just above that.

Feel better and enjoy your upcoming vacation.

_Arioch_
2007-07-07, 07:21 AM
I hope you can work in a good vacation, Giant, and get some rest. You've more than earned it. Thanks for all the great comics, and take care of yourself. No pressure, and thanks for letting us know.

Arioch

factotum
2007-07-07, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the announcement. I wish it would mean an end to the "OMG the comic is 43 minutes late, I want my money back!" threads, but I fear this is the Internet and such a hope is bound to be cruelly dashed. Anyway, your health is the most important thing right now...look after it!

Miklus
2007-07-07, 07:39 AM
Have a nice vacation, Giant. Everybody is on vacation right now, why should you not get one too? We'll still be here when you come back. And health IS more important than money! So chill out...:smallcool:

evileeyore
2007-07-07, 07:46 AM
Get better or else! http://www.geocities.com/evileeyore/fist.gif

I mean your health is just as important to me as the comic! We (the selfish fans of which I am the self chosen representative) cannot have the later without the former so get on it chop-chop!

:biggrin:

Kaerbek
2007-07-07, 07:48 AM
T_T

I'm not good at typing get-better-messages, especially if they're in english :P

But all I can say is that your devotion to your fans and your work has proved to be unbreakable, juast as the honor of the paladin...
I hope you get better really soon, not for us, or the comic, but for you.

So, in the name of all the people here in Argentina that reads the comic (believe me, you're almost a war hero for comics here) I pray that your health will come back soon.

Best wishes.

Kavotruo
2007-07-07, 07:53 AM
Health is first!

sachmo
2007-07-07, 08:06 AM
Take care of yourself first. While Americans seem to be very fond of killing themselves at work and it's become more of a norm rather than an exception, i believe it's important to find a balance. You can always make more money...but health and quality of life are fragile things. Here's one more fan who will wait patiently for the best free comic on the web.

BTW...for those that might have a hard time waiting...as Rich pointed out, try RSS. It makes new comic notification much easier.

Hushdawg
2007-07-07, 08:19 AM
Just want to lend a note of support in this thread to Rich.

You'll be in our prayers here for the healing hand to touch you for whatever the affliction is.

I do understand that it is hard to share personal info like this with, effectively, strangers. Thank you for trusting us with this information.

Ezlo
2007-07-07, 08:29 AM
I also wish to give my support to your decision. Health should ALWAYS come first.

Kriel
2007-07-07, 08:41 AM
It's okay, Rich. Health is a crap shoot sometimes. Das kann jedes Mal passieren. Take your time, do only what you need to do. Though I will miss getting my usual book at Ubercon, it's not worth you making your health problems worse. Take your time. Good things are worth waiting for, and I can definitely wait for this.

Rare Pink Leech
2007-07-07, 08:45 AM
Get better, Giant! Take as long of a hiatus as you need to after the storyline - this is one fan who will gladly come rushing back.

Diggorian
2007-07-07, 09:26 AM
Rest and recuperate, oh great giant. Dont worry yourself. You wont be lossing this reader/admirer anytime soon. :smallbiggrin:

Elfanatic
2007-07-07, 09:45 AM
I hope you get better soon, Giant. I know how it feels to have a disease or ailment where the doctor doesn't know a cure, only a bandaid (asthma). Do not feel guilty over the comic: I could never enjoy this strip knowing that my laughs were at the expense of your health.

Zakama
2007-07-07, 09:51 AM
Shoot, Rich, you have some serious backup here. Thank you for clearing this up for us, and please, don't overwork yourself. And here's a shout out to your SO: Thank you for taking such good care of this man! he is lucky to have you.

Again, take your time. We can wait.

FirstAdam
2007-07-07, 09:52 AM
We all wish you well, Rich!

Monzz
2007-07-07, 09:57 AM
I feel like I've been a follower of OotS for ages, and it won't stop now. No matter how long the gap in between comics- it's truly worth waiting for. :smallsmile:

Lots of love, snuggles and chicken soup from South Africa.

YuRAznFob
2007-07-07, 10:00 AM
Thank you for telling us Rich. I believe most if not all of us want you to be as healthy as possible than to stress yourself out to death *knocks on wood*.

Alex Star
2007-07-07, 10:04 AM
Hey Rich,

Just wanted to drop by and say thanks for all the work you do for us. And take your time with resting. We'll be here no matter what!

Pyro
2007-07-07, 10:12 AM
I wish you well Giant. Your needs always come before our enjoyment. Take as long as you want because everyone needs a vacation. Be like me and sit on your butt all day. You'll learn to love it.

RBPRX1204
2007-07-07, 10:19 AM
Rich,

Please take care of yourself, buddy. I know Ceres47 and I will miss you at GenCon, but we understand. You'll be in our prayers.

RBPRX1204 and Ceres47

dan4ster
2007-07-07, 10:22 AM
Best of luck with everything relating yo your health.

Many people would just make the decisions (random schedule, no Gencon, etc.) post it and not say much. However, you took special consideration for your fans when you didn't have to, and that is great. I'm glad you're not going Robert Jordan on us :)

carborundum
2007-07-07, 10:35 AM
All the very best in your battle, Rich! Every strip is a wonderful gift and that's how I view it - not as a right. Look after yourself first mate!

I know what it's like to put your work first for too long and then have to just drop everything. Sometimes you have to look after number one and forget any guilt or obligations - you have to be good to yourself before you can take care of others!

Tolkien_Freak
2007-07-07, 10:36 AM
My literature teacher last year had Crone's disease, so (especially by the end of the year) he was out a lot doing that kind of thing.

I'm glad you decided to say, 'Hey, I can't do this the way I said a while ago that I could, so this is the way I can do it, and I'll be doing it this way.'

Be happy the speculation threads will be gone.

LackofFit
2007-07-07, 11:03 AM
Rich:

I don't participate in forums as a general rule. But in this case I made an account to say: Thank you for telling us what's going on, and I sincerely hope your medical condition plays out the best that it can. OotS is by far my favorite webcomic, and always brings a smile to my face. I will be happy to see updates whenever they appear and totally encourage you doing whatever you need to take care of yourself. Your fans support you!

Corp
2007-07-07, 11:10 AM
Bah forgetting this 'get well' stuff. We need to help Rich along. And not with money of course, he asked us not too. I'm talking about new body parts! Sooner or later we'll replace what's been giving Rich trouble. So where can I sent this new liver? I...umm...found it.

Take it easy Rich

Eva
2007-07-07, 11:18 AM
We love you.

Hope that you get better soon. And not for the strip's sake.

Moebius
2007-07-07, 11:26 AM
Thanks very much for the heads up, Rich.

I guess we won't be having the 'Head for the Giant's booth' bull rush at Gen Con this year :smallfrown:. We'll miss having you there; you've been one of the highlights for me the past two years.

Chamrox
2007-07-07, 11:32 AM
NO! It's times like these where prescription narcotics come in handy! I want OOTS Comics, Daily! Feed me! Someone get this man a morephine drip stat!

I kid!

Hope you get better sir, or, at least, begin to feel better for longer periods of time.

Will take your advice and finally figure out how to do these RSS feed thingies.

Gerli
2007-07-07, 11:57 AM
So, in the name of all the people here in Argentina that reads the comic (believe me, you're almost a war hero for comics here) I pray that your health will come back soon.

Agree with that :smallbiggrin:
Hope that you get better soon.

Matt Teishu
2007-07-07, 12:10 PM
Even if you post rarely, the comic will still be awesome.

Thanatos
2007-07-07, 12:21 PM
Hey, I understand. I have MS, so I know a bit about "health flare-ups".
Do what you need to do and take care of yourself.

Ringmereth
2007-07-07, 12:31 PM
I appreciate your willingness to let us know what's going on and what we can expect. I wish you and your health all the best--don't let us drag you down.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-07-07, 12:35 PM
Take care, Giant, and take as much time as you need. Or want for that matter. And thank you for being a consistent source of entertainment :smallsmile:

David Argall
2007-07-07, 12:42 PM
I sincerely hope for your full and speedy recovery. Granted, I also hope that for the guy who borrowed $1000 and has yet to repay, but...

Thanks for the announcement. I wish it would mean an end to the "OMG the comic is 43 minutes late, I want my money back!" threads,

I expect OOTS will maintain its standard policy of immediate and full refund of all money paid to read the comic online.

Icewalker
2007-07-07, 01:26 PM
Hey Rich,
Thank you for explaining to us.
I understand and good luck with these illnesses.

If it doesn't update as often, I won't be less of a fan because of it.

Just saying..

-Battleburn

Wow, well put. That is basically my thoughts on the situation as well.

Draz74
2007-07-07, 01:36 PM
Hey Giant,

I too was touched by your announcement because I've been able to read between the lines, other times when you've been sick, and know that talking about this sort of thins is tough for you. So even before I got to the end of the announcement, I knew this had been a tough thing for you to write.

But at the same time, I do appreciate it. Though it might seem kind of backward, knowing that the comic won't be regular actually gives me more confidence in its excellent future. (At least, with your track record and passion. If I had a webcomic, and I let it become irregular, I'd worry that it was falling apart. :smallwink: )

But then I was reminded by your advocation of a bunch of charities that you're not just a talented author and artist with a sense of humor, but also a person I can really respect.

Thanks for your work and good luck reducing your stress in life!
- Draz

Moik
2007-07-07, 01:36 PM
Rich may not want to tell us his illness, but he left a very notable hint in his list of charities:

http://www.arborday.org/shopping/donations/ordergeneral.cfm

He's got trees!

Thank you for sharing as much of your creativity as you can with us, Rich. I hope we'll still get more. Pacing it out and taking breaks causes us no burden, and you should still be getting book revenue to carry you through. Been down to my FLGS twice for SoD (and ToA). They have Paladin Blues, but I don't WANT Paladin Blues, I want SoD. And Origin of PCs, but they tell me I missed the boat on that one... Either way... We'll still support you because we still want you around.

But, totally guest-art/fan-art extended breaks to keep us on the site with something to do. Howard Tayler had some growing pains too at one point when he went full-time, so he secured a colorist to help ease the load. You're in a business. If the load is too heavy for a single mortal, you're permitted partners. We won't sue.

Gallanoth
2007-07-07, 02:03 PM
Hey Giant,
Hope you get much better soon. I know how bad it sucks having chronic illness as well as quite a few others. Get lots of R&R on your well earned vacation and hope your able to eventually come over your medical problem. Don't worry about any of your work because you've really really earned a vacation. All the fans who are more concerned about reading your comic than you don't need to be appeased and I for one will still continues to enjoy for work. Healthiness FTW!:smallbiggrin:
-Gallanoth

Drerek
2007-07-07, 02:06 PM
Hope you get some well deserved rest. It's not like anyone SHOULD be complaining b/c we're getting this free. It's amazing how many people forget that.

Em Blackleaf
2007-07-07, 02:08 PM
I agree with battleburn.

I hope you feel better, Rich!

theKOT
2007-07-07, 02:47 PM
I also would like to add my thanks for the explanation and hopes for a speedy recovery. It's big of the Giant(heheheh) to actually lay it out for us like that. Relax, recuperate, and get well soon, G.

Siwenna
2007-07-07, 03:51 PM
Its already been said many times, but you definately deserve a vacation, and no matter how long it takes, we'll still look forward to the updates. After all, scarcity increases the value of the commodity.

I hope you feel better!

plainsfox
2007-07-07, 04:17 PM
*offers his prayers for Rich's health as well*

Jopinion
2007-07-07, 04:41 PM
I would like to add my best wishes for you as well Mr. Burlew. Take care of yourself first, I for one am happy to read something that makes me laugh and don't really care how long it takes. Health and rest are often linked so please make sure to take that time off and I know many of us will continue to visit and I hope you get better soon.

LoRdofCookIES
2007-07-07, 04:48 PM
Health comes first, we all know that...
But what is next?
That's right... dealing with anxiety!
Any decision that helps Rich deal with that
is and always will be the right one.
A life full of stress is like a combined speed-endurance
run!
A life with litle or no stress is a happy one.
Simple as that. :smallsmile:

Best wishes for your health and congratualtions
for your fine work!

-LoRD

CindyKay
2007-07-07, 05:08 PM
Stress is bad; rest is good. That's true for nearly any health problem I can name. So relax, and don't worry. We'll be here when you're ready to return.

StupidFatHobbit
2007-07-07, 05:18 PM
This is one thread I really hope Rich reads. :smallsmile:

OOTS is one of the things that kept me hanging in there when things got rough in my personal life. This would have been the same whether it updated daily, three times a week, once every two months, or anything. I have just come out of 1+ year of cancer treatment and had to continue working a 40 hour week throughout that time. Many things helped me get through this difficult time, and even the small things were significant. OOTS was one of them.

I read the books over and over when I was recovering from surgery. I looked forward to the webcomic updates, and if they didn't turn up on time, so what? All that did was keep me anticipating and keep me hanging in there for a few more days.

Without even knowing me, or knowing I was reading his comic, Rich had a significant effect on making my life better and getting me through a bad time, and he did it all for free (and still does).

Even if OOTS stopped for good right now, I'd still have that and I'd still be incredibly grateful for it. A more irregular update schedule isn't even close to being on the list of things that would get me steamed.

I hope Rich takes whatever time he needs for his health, and I wish I could give him back a large box of the unstressedness that he gave me.

TheWarBlade
2007-07-07, 05:50 PM
Just adding to battleburns thread on wishes of good health, damn the clerics are never around when we need them.

I would just like to offer my thanks for 473 absolutely incredible comics. I sincerly hope that you get better.

Best wishes from Denmark!

ThorFluff
2007-07-07, 06:26 PM
Rich, we all love ya no matter deceases, i can wait for a good 30 years or so for an update, aslong as i know you're alive and well to do one ;)

Bunyip
2007-07-07, 06:34 PM
Dear Mr. Rich

I would like to join all the others who have posted in wishing you well in this trying time. Making the hard decisions you have, including telling us about it will, in itself, take some of the stress away. It is very difficult to talk about personal matters in a forum such as this and I applaud your courage.

We will wait as long as we have to for whatever wonderful witty fun you can share with us. Here in Australia, we never got the comics at the predicted times anyway.

Please take good care of yourself. We care about you.

There is total agreement by everyone who has posted to this thread. How unheard of is that?

:roach: Contaminate, Contaminate

Max Graeves
2007-07-07, 07:00 PM
You keep writin 'em, and we'll keep readin 'em, no matter what the schedule.
Your health and well-being is more important than a "regular" schedule.
Good luck and get better!

rollfrenzy
2007-07-07, 07:10 PM
Rich,

Thank you.

Thank you for your candor.

Thank you for providing countless hours of entertainment.

I wish you the best of luck. Please take care of yourself first and us last. I think I speak for everyone in this wonderful environment and community you have created when I say we all wish for your continued good health and we have all had better lives and moments of happiness thanks soley to your diligent work.

There is little more I can say than....

THANK YOU.

For everything.

Get better Rich,

Chris Beeman

Amphimir Míriel
2007-07-07, 09:31 PM
Rich, our best wishes to you, get better soon!

Truthseeker
2007-07-07, 09:34 PM
Rich Burlew,

I don't know how to reach you reliably, but I'll try here. I know you have trouble reading your forums because of the maelstrom of opinions and arguments and projections and demands for fresh comics. I know OOTS wasn't really all that you had planned when you started this website or these forums, and that the comic has grown far beyond expectations. I know that dealing with a substantial fandom has elements that wear on the heart and soul and can make it a very frustrating and stressful experience sometimes.

All that having been said, Mr. Burlew, this thread, and indeed, all the attention surrounding you since you started out on this comic endeavor shows that you've brought smiles and laughter to people all around the world. This is no small feat, and there's more, because you've inspired people, helped us to realize that we still live in times where one clever person with a good idea can make his own way in our world full of all-consuming conglomerates and spirit-crushing corporate environments. Whether large or small, as a personal role model or just someone who occasionally makes us giggle, your impact on the lives of so many has been positive and you will be fondly remembered, with good reason, when you are gone (may that be a long time from now).

So please understand that we really mean it. I don't presume to speak for everyone, but I have to feel that my thoughts echo those of many. We wish the best for you. If there were some way we could help you, we would try. Thank you for letting us know, and whatever you need to better deal with this, we understand.

zarffyn
2007-07-07, 09:57 PM
Rich,

You and your health always comes first. I'm just grateful for the opportunity to read OOTS. I will likely continue to check OOTS as often as I normally do anyway-which is everyday. It's part of my morning internet routine. No pressure, of course...I just want you to know how much I enjoy reading it. And hey, random updates are kind've like those last Christmas presents. You know they're coming, you're expecting them, but there's nothing like when they actually arrive.

I'm glad I got to meet you at GenCon 2006. I won't be going this year, so I'm glad I had the opportunity!

Take care and best wishes!

Greyhame
2007-07-07, 10:24 PM
Rich Burlew,

I don't know how to reach you reliably, but I'll try here. I know you have trouble reading your forums because of the maelstrom of opinions and arguments and projections and demands for fresh comics. I know OOTS wasn't really all that you had planned when you started this website or these forums, and that the comic has grown far beyond expectations. I know that dealing with a substantial fandom has elements that wear on the heart and soul and can make it a very frustrating and stressful experience sometimes.

All that having been said, Mr. Burlew, this thread, and indeed, all the attention surrounding you since you started out on this comic endeavor shows that you've brought smiles and laughter to people all around the world. This is no small feat, and there's more, because you've inspired people, helped us to realize that we still live in times where one clever person with a good idea can make his own way in our world full of all-consuming conglomerates and spirit-crushing corporate environments. Whether large or small, as a personal role model or just someone who occasionally makes us giggle, your impact on the lives of so many has been positive and you will be fondly remembered, with good reason, when you are gone (may that be a long time from now).

So please understand that we really mean it. I don't presume to speak for everyone, but I have to feel that my thoughts echo those of many. We wish the best for you. If there were some way we could help you, we would try. Thank you for letting us know, and whatever you need to better deal with this, we understand.

I don't think I could improve on this. Ditto!

Skinnydwarf
2007-07-07, 11:00 PM
I just wanted to add a "me too" post supporting Rich. I think a "me too" post is appropriate in this context. :smallsmile:

I found OoTS way back in '04, and I've loved it ever since. Thanks for the years of awesome comics. Keep up the great work!

I think this thread is evidence of the community of good people the comic has built, which counts for something, I think.

Best of luck with your illness, and don't sweat a few ungrateful people whining about getting high quality free entertainment "late." And late means nothing in the future, because there is no schedule.

Anyway, real life and your health come first. I for one will continue supporting you. (I bought all the books, and am waiting to get some cash to get the game. :smallbiggrin: )

MonkeyHead
2007-07-07, 11:56 PM
Rich,
Thank you for letting us know about what is going on behind the scenes. As long as you are healthy the strips can wait in my opinion. Roy can stay dead and chat with his pops for a while still! :)

Ferrous719
2007-07-08, 12:38 AM
We understand. And we love the comic. and we want you better. and we'd rather have less comics than bad comics. and rather no comics than no Rich. So. Sleep, eat, and watch stupid daytime tv until you feel like working. and then, stop when you want to sleep, eat, or watch more stupid daytime tv.
One of the few comics I read on a regular basis- and I've never had a problem waiting, because I know it will be worth it.
Take care of yourself, and tell your SO that they rock.
Erfworld will have to be our methadone for now.

Alysar
2007-07-08, 12:42 AM
I wonder if Rich's SO could help out with the comic at all. Copying and pasting hobgoblins, and that sort of thing. If she doesn't know how to use Illustrator, I'm sure Rich could teach her.

Rich can do anything.

Hushdawg
2007-07-08, 08:12 PM
I wonder if Rich's SO could help out with the comic at all. Copying and pasting hobgoblins, and that sort of thing. If she doesn't know how to use Illustrator, I'm sure Rich could teach her.

Rich can do anything.

You know... I'm just waiting for a thread to pop up about Rich along the same vein as the Chuck Norris threads I've seen elsewhere.

Rich is just that badass.

spinn
2007-07-08, 10:51 PM
Rich:

I was pretty vocal about the delays last time it came up around here, so if it helps any, I just wanted to say 1) thanks for letting us know, and 2) before the recent delays, your schedule was like clockwork for some time, so you deserve some slack.

Think we could get some similar statement about Erfworld? It's finally got me hooked in, now, but I have no idea when it's updating.

TheSilverSage
2007-07-08, 11:33 PM
I have held this account in the present forum for some time without posting, but I think this merits the occasion:

Mr Burlew, if you never updated the Order of the Stick again, I would still be every bit as happy, grateful and impressed as I am now about the fantastic contribution to webcomic bibliography that is OotS; not everything needs to be finished, to be considered sublime.

Best wishes for your health to be as you want it, rather than as your work forces you to accept it. I think most of us will be here, whenever you get back. :smallsmile:

Corwin Weber
2007-07-09, 12:00 AM
Hey, best of luck to you Rich, but I wanted to put in my 2cp about the "guest artist" idea.

I'd really rather if you didn't.

To be honest, I love Oots and when it comes out, it fills me with joy, but I would much rather you take a month off than fill the space with something that is likely to be not quite up to par. Unfortunately, my experiences with guest strips in other webcomics have been universally awful.

I could (but won't) name another specific web comic that I suspect we both read/have read that illustrates this point terribly well.

Have to agree here. Guest stuff = teh bad. I'd rather wait for the real stuff. And for that matter, the new schedule will probably alleviate some of the 'no comic? No notice? Uh oh.... something's wrong' sentiment that crops up.

If we're expecting it, those of us here who tend toward OCD will stop worrying. :)

Mattarias, King.
2007-07-09, 12:15 AM
Giant-man!

Be cool. And I mean fever-wise, not.. attitude(?)-wise, because you've already poved your coolness over and over again.

I don't usually show so much good will to people I don't know, but I hope to be an author as good as you someday, so take care, chill. I'll keep your comics, should it take years to update. You'll see my books on shelves, too. probably not near yours, unfortunately. ^^

What I'm trying to say is get well soon. Play some RPGs, de-stress, and don't explodein germy death. that's not good for anyone. :smalltongue:

Aren
2007-07-09, 12:21 AM
As you can probably tell by now, we're all just grateful that you are taking care of yourself. I love OOTS, but I certainly don't mind waiting for the new episode to appear if I know you're having a good time creating it. If you're stressing it's not good for any of us.

If I might make a suggestion - I also like the Alpha-Shade web comic and they have a doohicky that you might like. The comic is on NO set schedule (at least that I can discern). But what they do have is a little progress bar. It's kind of fun to watch the bar move, almost like someone gave me permission to peak in the back room. :smallsmile:

Example (see "Page Status" in the bottom right hand corner. (http://www.alpha-shade.com/www/index2.htm)

Perhaps you could try something like that? It will give us all something to watch, and salivate over, but lets you update whenever the new comic is ready.

Whatever you decide, we'll be cheering you on!

Geech000
2007-07-09, 12:40 AM
I don't know what more I can add to what everyone else has said. Just try to keep yourself healthy. That is the most important thing. You are a great artist and a great storyteller.

feathers
2007-07-09, 01:02 AM
Rich

Take care of yourself and your SO. Your Health is so much more important than a comic. we will still be here reading it or buying the books.

Our Thoughts and Best Wishes are with you both.

S & A

Tharr
2007-07-09, 01:29 AM
The real thing is use your down time maybe write out secrets of the comic in some notes that way someone will know V gender and what the MITD really is before any Citizen Kane like problems. People write the last panel will then show V taking off clothes reveal gender and then blackness comes up curses for Journey and music.

IreneDAdler
2007-07-09, 02:24 AM
Hey, just wanted to toss in my vote of support and appreciation :)

I've been a loyal follower of The Order for years, and will continue to be, no matter what the frequency of new comics. I'm glad you're going to be taking a break, because I would hate to lose your genius to some stress-induced mental or physical breakdown ;) Please, take as much time as you need, and only come back if you feel all caught-up and relaxed. Maybe you can delay the resumption of comics until you've had enough time and energy to build up a buffer so that you won't feel so stressed if you happen to fall behind. Anyway, whenever you're ready to grace us with products of your mighty genius, I'll be here :)