PDA

View Full Version : World Help Do I have unfilled domains or incongruous religions?

PhoenixPhyre
2016-08-30, 06:27 PM
I've been building a world (mainly for D&D games). As part of the recent backstory, there was a catastrophe that (among other things) resulted in almost all the gods sacrificing themselves to hold the universe together. That means all those gods need to be replaced. As it stands, I have the following hierarchy:

At the highest level are the four deities chosen to survive the cataclysm. They are known as the Maker, The Preserver, The Judge, and The Unmaker. Collectively they are The Four. They are rarely worshiped by mortals as they do not concern themselves with the mortal plane and so do not grant spells or benefits. Their sole concern is the maintenance of the Great Mechanism that redistributes Aether (soul-stuff, the source of magic and new life) around the cosmos. If the other gods act in ways that threaten another cataclysm, the three step in and squish them.

The Heavenly Congregation: These 16 gods (the culture and universe have a thing for the number 4) make up the gods that mortals worship normally. Each one has a set of responsibilities assigned by the Four--in return for watching over and coordinating these domains the Congregants gain direct access to the power flowing from the Great Mechanism. Since alignment isn't a thing in this universe, no alignment is specified. Each one has plots and plans, involving mortals as chess-pieces. They don't tend to share much information as to the internal dynamics of the Congregation with mortals, so little is known.

Below the Congregation are the entities collectively known as the Chorus. These are anything from strong-willed mortal souls that have found a niche on the Astral Plane to ascended demigods (and many other things). There are many many of these. They mainly get their power by working for members of the Congregation. I haven't fleshed them out very much.

OK, having talked about that, the part I need other eyes to look at is the religions of the Congregation. I've reproduced below a list of the Congregants, their domains, and the top 3 tenants of their religion. Am I missing anything important? Any major holes or incongruities? The last two domains (the italicized ones) are the mechanical 5th edition cleric domains most associated with that god.

(Lust. Sexuality. Beauty. Art/Music. Life, Trickery)
o Beauty is Truth and Truth, Beauty.
o Follow your passions—restraint is unworthy.
o Defeat your enemies by tricking them into thinking you’re weak and stupid.

(Untimely death, murder. Patron of assassins. Death, Trickery)
o The mission comes first. Accomplish it regardless of the means necessary.
o Destroy free-willed undead wherever they are found. Use of controlled undead is an acceptable means to that end.
o Preserve the established order by killing those who would cause chaos.

(Commerce. Wealth. Knowledge, Trickery)
o The rich are rich because they’re worthy.
o Make your own luck—cheat if you have to. Just don’t get caught.
o Fate is fickle. Be ready for upsets and downturns.

(Mountains. The earth. Patron of the Dwarves. Knowledge, War)
o The stone abides. Endurance is the highest virtue.
o The stone remembers. Trust is earned and easily squandered.
o The stone stands firm against the storm. Defend clan and honor no matter the cost.

(Wilderness. Travelers. The Hunt, Nature, Trickery)
o The spoils of the hunt go to the careful.
o Kill or be killed. No mercy, no forgiveness.
o Cull the weak from the pack.

(The forge. Technology. Patron of Smiths. Knowledge, Tempest)
o Creation is the highest devotion.
o Nature must serve man, not man nature.
o Create for the sake of creation—don’t hoard your knowledge.

(Harvest. Agriculture. The Moon. Night. Knowledge, Nature)
o You plant what you harvest (consequences).
o Patiently prepare for all foreseeable consequences.
o No matter the task, do your best work.

• (Timely death. Endings. Winter. Death, Life)
o Heal those that can be healed. Bring a painless end to those who cannot.
o Lay the undead to rest. Suffer not the lich to live.
o Respect the dead and their resting places

(The home. Domesticity. The Hearth. Life, Light)
o Violence must be the last resort, and only to defend the defenseless.
o Clergy should not benefit at the expense of others. Vow of poverty.
o Marriage and family are paramount. Clergy are expected to be married and have many children.

• (Change, Chance. Trickery, War)
o Break the chains of tradition and law
o Obey laws only to prove their absurdity
o Afflict the comfortable, comfort the afflicted.

(Tyranny, Control. Power. War, Tempest)
o Seek freedom through controlling self and others.
o The strong deserve to rule over the weak.
o Only in strict hierarchy is there order.

(Growth. Beginnings. Spring. Life, Nature)
o Protect children and foster new growth.
o A kind word and a cheerful heart please me.
o Be gentle to the cute little critters.

(Oceans. Cold. Storms. Nature, Tempest)
o Have no pity for the weak.
o Defend the wild spaces.
o All men are equal before the storm. No inherent respect for tradition or authority.

(the Sun, Honorable Battle, Summer. War, Light)
o Be loyal to those in authority.
o Meet the enemy head on to prove your faith.
o Be willing to die before letting the weak suffer.

(Arcane Magic. Arcana, Knowledge)
o Knowledge is power. Preserve it wherever possible.
o Anything or anyone who threatens another cataclysm must be eliminated.
o Maintain an open mind—all truth is truth and should be respected regardless of the source.

(Justice, Law. Light, Knowledge)
o Let justice be done, though the heavens fall.
o Respect not the man of power.
o Tell no lies. This includes lies of omission.

Any feedback would be welcome. More information on the setting can be found at http://ofmythicalbeasts.blogspot.com/

LudicSavant
2016-08-30, 08:23 PM
Any feedback would be welcome.

Okay!

(Lust. Sexuality. Beauty. Art/Music. Life, Trickery)
o Beauty is Truth and Truth, Beauty.
o Follow your passions—restraint is unworthy.
o Defeat your enemies by tricking them into thinking you’re weak and stupid.

Is making yourself appear weak and stupid a sort of restraint? Does creating this appearance mar your beauty, and thus "truth"?

(Untimely death, murder. Patron of assassins. Death, Trickery)
o The mission comes first. Accomplish it regardless of the means necessary.
o Destroy free-willed undead wherever they are found. Use of controlled undead is an acceptable means to that end.
o Preserve the established order by killing those who would cause chaos.

I can't really tell much about this guy from the bullet points other than that he has some sort of beef with free-willed undead and isn't picky about how you get stuff done.

What's the mission that comes first? Just any task?

Why doesn't he like free-willed undead?

What is meant by "preserving the established order," and who counts as "causing chaos"? Different cultures (not to mention just about every gaming table I've seen) have wildly different, often mutually exclusive ideas about what order and chaos are.

Why is he a betrayer?

(Commerce. Wealth. Knowledge, Trickery)
o The rich are rich because they’re worthy.
o Make your own luck—cheat if you have to. Just don’t get caught.
o Fate is fickle. Be ready for upsets and downturns.

So basically a prosperity gospel with a roguish slant. I would completely remove any association with the knowledge domain from this one.

(Mountains. The earth. Patron of the Dwarves. Knowledge, War)
o The stone abides. Endurance is the highest virtue.
o The stone remembers. Trust is earned and easily squandered.
o The stone stands firm against the storm. Defend clan and honor no matter the cost.

Maybe add a bit about how abiding/remembering/standing firm relates to recordkeeping and the preservation and inheritance of knowledge (passing on of culture, tradition, lore, etc), given the Knowledge domain on this one.

(Wilderness. Travelers. The Hunt, Nature, Trickery)
o The spoils of the hunt go to the careful.
o Kill or be killed. No mercy, no forgiveness.
o Cull the weak from the pack.

What's her relationship with travelers?

(The forge. Technology. Patron of Smiths. Knowledge, Tempest)
o Creation is the highest devotion.
o Nature must serve man, not man nature.
o Create for the sake of creation—don’t hoard your knowledge.

This guy's pretty cool! My only minor nitpick would be the third line... It could be clearer how creating for the sake of creation is linked to the sharing of knowledge. For instance, you could have an inventor crafting a thousand things in isolation for creation's own sake, with nobody ever knowing her work, let alone her methods.

Perhaps "Share your creations—don’t hoard your knowledge, because knowledge begets creation."

(Harvest. Agriculture. The Moon. Night. Knowledge, Nature)
o You plant what you harvest (consequences).
o Patiently prepare for all foreseeable consequences.
o No matter the task, do your best work.

"You reap what you sow" may be a more poetic version of the first line. Also, the notion that actions have consequences is such an overwhelmingly common sentiment you might want to add a little bit to that first bullet point to distinguish Loran's take on it.

• (Timely death. Endings. Winter. Death, Life)
o Heal those that can be healed. Bring a painless end to those who cannot.
o Lay the undead to rest. Suffer not the lich to live.
o Respect the dead and their resting places
Seems rather straightforward. Could maybe add a bit more detail on the life side of things, or about how death/winter is (believed to be) a required part of the life cycle.

(The home. Domesticity. The Hearth. Life, Light)
o Violence must be the last resort, and only to defend the defenseless.
o Clergy should not benefit at the expense of others. Vow of poverty.
o Marriage and family are paramount. Clergy are expected to be married and have many children.

It may be worth clarifying exactly what is required by Peor-fala's vow of poverty, given how much this could matter to cleric PCs, depending on the wording.

• (Change, Chance. Trickery, War)
o Break the chains of tradition and law
o Obey laws only to prove their absurdity
o Afflict the comfortable, comfort the afflicted.

I like the third bullet point. It brings the Pinwheel image together in so few words.

It could stand to be made clearer how one can prove the absurdity of laws through obedience in the second bullet point, though. The first bullet point could possibly be expanded to include an intended purpose for breaking the chains of tradition and law.

(Tyranny, Control. Power. War, Tempest)
o Seek freedom through controlling self and others.
o The strong deserve to rule over the weak.
o Only in strict hierarchy is there order.

This is a good example of establishing what is meant by order (an issue I had with the Betrayer's entry).

(Oceans. Cold. Storms. Nature, Tempest)
o Have no pity for the weak.
o Defend the wild spaces.
o All men are equal before the storm. No inherent respect for tradition or authority.

"Defend the wild spaces" could probably use some clarification.

Also, variants on "have no pity for the weak" is something I've seen as a bullet point for enough of your gods that I think you should consider adding a little bit to the line to differentiate each god's version of what this means. What makes someone weak, why do they get whatever's coming to them, and other such questions are potential avenues for differentiation.

(the Sun, Honorable Battle, Summer. War, Light)
o Be loyal to those in authority.
o Meet the enemy head on to prove your faith.
o Be willing to die before letting the weak suffer.

I like bullet point 2, which does something I'd like to see more of in your bullet points in general (e.g. not just saying to do a thing, but giving a motive to do that thing). "Meet the enemy head on to prove your faith" is a much stronger statement than "Meet the enemy head on!" It evokes all that "trial by combat" ideology by adding only 4 words.

By contrast, compare "Be loyal to those in authority." Just a little bit extra could make that a stronger statement.

(Arcane Magic. Arcana, Knowledge)
o Knowledge is power. Preserve it wherever possible.
o Anything or anyone who threatens another cataclysm must be eliminated.
o Maintain an open mind—all truth is truth and should be respected regardless of the source.

All truth is truth? What's that supposed to mean? Seems a bit redundant. How about... "Maintain an open mind—truth must be recognized regardless of the source."

Also, how does the belief that power should be preserved mesh with the belief that anything that threatens a cataclysm must be eliminated?

(Justice, Law. Light, Knowledge)
o Let justice be done, though the heavens fall.
o Respect not the man of power.
o Tell no lies. This includes lies of omission.

I like the way the first line establishes the lengths to which the clergy of Ytra might go to do what they consider to be the right thing. It lends a certain gravitas.

Other than that, see what I said under the Tor-Elan entry.

Do I have unfilled domains

Yes, but the number of domains you can define is pretty much limitless. No collection of deities is going to cover every possible thing.

Anyways, hope that helps.

Max_Killjoy
2016-08-30, 10:14 PM
OP -- don't worry about "unfilled domains".

Rather, worry about how your deities fit into and in turn shape the setting.
How does their origin and the origin of the world intertwine?
How are they worshipped and what does that worship say about the culture(s) that venerate them?
Do people know their real history, or do they believe in myths with the history of the gods a closely guarded secret?