PDA

View Full Version : OotA Help! Quick!

mgshamster
2016-08-30, 08:44 PM
Does destroying the gem in Mantol-Derith cure the insanity it caused?

mgshamster
2016-08-30, 09:04 PM
Second question:

If the Druid is holding on to the spell and then polymoprhs, does the gem "morph" with him thereby causing him to touch it and make a save?

Ashdate
2016-08-31, 07:06 AM
Per the book, no the insanity is permanent (but can be cured by the appropriate spell).

Your second question is a bit unclear, but I think is squarely in "whatever the DM decides" territory. Assuming the situation is that the Druid has the gem (but has not triggered any action that would cause you, the DM, to believe he should make the insanity saving throw), then I don't think there is any RAW guidance.

It's a very powerful effect (DC 23 cha save!) to resist the gems madness. My inclination would be that there is no truly safe way to hold this gem. I would give someone using safety measure advantage in their save tho. Assuming you've passed this point, I think it's fair that shape shifting with the gem is grounds to properly trigger the madness effect.

I would point out that perma-insanity in 5e is pretty weak (it has no true mechanical downsides) and is cured by Greater Restoration, a spell they'll probably have access to soon if they don't already (heck, the Druid can cast it once they are level 9) so why not have some temporary fun and enjoy the madness?

(Aside: I actually am making the demon lord's madness more difficult to cure, as madness is fun and it truly creates "scars" that represent the sacrifice the players have made fighting them. But ymmv.)

mgshamster
2016-08-31, 07:17 AM
Thanks for your help!

I figured it didn't cure them, I was just hoping for backup from something I may have missed. Ended up ruling that it didn't cure them.

For the Druid, he actually avoided not shifting, but he was planning on it when I asked that question.

It was the bard who finally had to make a save, because he cast identify (the spell requires you to touch the object). He ended up rolling a 27 on his save. Lucky bastard.

Regarding madness in general, here's how we've been doing it: each time you get madness, you get the lowest level (unless otherwise specified) and you get a counter. If your counter is at 1, then the next time you get madness, you go straight to level 2, and add one to the counter. The next time you get madness, you go straight to level 3 (your madness is now permanent), and your counter resists.

Doing it this way, the paladin has two indefinit madness effects and the bard has one.

They can use restoration to eliminate any current bouts of madness that aren't indefinite and to reset the counter. It takes greater restoration to remove the indefinite madness. At level 8, they haven't found someone who can cast that spell yet.