PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Eldritch Dragoon

ZenBear
2016-08-31, 12:48 AM
When I eventually hit 11+ on my EK I will be multiclassing to Wizard, and I'm wondering how much use I could get out of the Jump spell. My DM might give me the ok to add falling damage to an attack I make after a jump, perhaps also requiring a cast of Feather Fall to spare myself. Just from a general mobility perspective, I feel like its a poor man's Misty Step when trying to reach high places or cross chasms.

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-08-31, 09:25 AM
Um, what does this have to do with Dragoons? You don't seem to be doing this mounted.

The Jump spell isn't particularly useful in my opinion, particularly at higher levels where access to actual flight is a possibility. Were I the DM, I personally wouldn't allow adding falling damage, though I wouldn't make you suffer falling damage within your jumping distance either.

Fable Wright
2016-08-31, 10:42 AM
Um, what does this have to do with Dragoons? You don't seem to be doing this mounted.

He's referring to the Final Fantasy Dragoon class, which was known for jumping one turn and then landing to deal high damage the next.

When I eventually hit 11+ on my EK I will be multiclassing to Wizard, and I'm wondering how much use I could get out of the Jump spell. My DM might give me the ok to add falling damage to an attack I make after a jump, perhaps also requiring a cast of Feather Fall to spare myself. Just from a general mobility perspective, I feel like its a poor man's Misty Step when trying to reach high places or cross chasms.

Wizard isn't that great for a jumping/falling build, as self-buff spells aren't nearly as much of a thing this edition. I will say, however, that Jump can be pretty decent when combined with a Ring of Striding and Springing. Both of them triple your jump check, letting you jump 72' into the air and 180' horizontally (assuming 20 strength), which isn't that bad when it comes to mobility. Maybe take a custom feat to let you apply all of your Falling damage to the person you land on, and a handful of times per day you can add 7d6 damage to an attack—not too shabby.

If you took Monk instead of Wizard to get Step of the Wind, you could up that to 14d6 damage and maybe negate some of that if you miss (AFB and not sure how Slow Fall works/if it was included this edition) along with some other bonus action shenanigans.

In all, Jump is pretty decent as long as you specialize for it. Certainly does stuff that Misty Step couldn't ever match, at least. Unfortunately, actually doing anything with the jump distance is up to the purview of the DM. *shrug*

Addaran
2016-08-31, 11:26 AM
Using Feather Fall or Step of the Wind to spare yourself would make no sense if you use falling damage to boost your attack. You're buffing the attack with the speed of falling but then you're doing something to reduce that speed before the point where you land/hit.

ZenBear
2016-08-31, 07:28 PM
Using Feather Fall or Step of the Wind to spare yourself would make no sense if you use falling damage to boost your attack. You're buffing the attack with the speed of falling but then you're doing something to reduce that speed before the point where you land/hit.

It reduces your speed to 60ft/round, or 10ft/second. Is that too slow to add damage? The spell also specifies that the target does not take damage, so it is not implicit in the speed of descent.