PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Yet another alignment question

Jon_Dahl
2016-08-31, 06:20 AM
A long time ago, the PCs left another PC in the woods when he had been turned to stone. They had to leave him because monsters were attacking them.

Now the PCs found a way to turn him back to flesh, but they voted unanimously not to use that one-use-only power (stone salve) on him, but rather to reserve it until one the current guys turns to stone.

What do you think about this? "It's been such a long time since we left him there. Let's leave him there, who cares..."

Most of the PCs in question are dead now, but I'm asking this anyway.

TimeWizard
2016-08-31, 06:45 AM
A long time ago, the PCs left another PC in the woods when he had been turned to stone. They had to leave him because monsters were attacking them.

Now the PCs found a way to turn him back to flesh, but they voted unanimously not to use that one-use-only power (stone salve) on him, but rather to reserve it until one the current guys turns to stone.

What do you think about this? "It's been such a long time since we left him there. Let's leave him there, who cares..."

Most of the PCs in question are dead now, but I'm asking this anyway.

This isn't an alignment question, its a question of the PCs just being terrible people in game. Are they in a dark, magic starved world where the single use item needs to be saved because it's incredibly rare? Or are they just stingy?

A Lawful Good character might decide to save the item, because they can't afford to head back to the forest right now while they are tasked with saving the world/averting a war, but will get the stone person after the campaign.

An Evil Character might go back for the stone person because they liked him/her, or out a sense of duty, or because it's pragmatic for the job at hand.

Sounds like the PCs are just jerks though. I usually put players "on the other side" of whatever situation I find they are being out-of-character game-spammy about a problem. They want to be cheap, screw over someone they could easily help, and aren't bothered by it? A trusted NPC or a powerful figure will do the same to them down the road and brush it off with a similar justification. When well done it really makes the players reflect on their actions.

Geddy2112
2016-08-31, 09:29 AM
It could be pragmatism, or that going to find the PC would kill them all, they have other duties, lots of other factors. The reasons why they are not going might be tied to their alignment, but in and of itself is not really an alignment issue. Self preservation and apathy are generally indicators of neutrality, but they could have dozens of other reasons why they won't go back.

Sounds like the PCs are just jerks though.
And you can find jerks of every alignment.