PDA

View Full Version : fastest way to be able to cast a lvl 9 spell? or other qualification cheese.

Pinkie Pyro
2016-08-31, 10:34 AM
I'm trying to get ignore material components so I can cast war spell without spending a ton of gold every fight, my build currently doesn't go to lvl 9 spells, only 2nd level.

Currently I'm looking at taking a level of elven generalist and using their specialization cheat thing to get a 9th level spell slot, then i just have to grab a scroll of time stop or whatever.

Is there anything faster?

FearlessGnome
2016-08-31, 11:27 AM
1. Epic Feats all have Character Level 21st as a prerequisite, and getting 9th level spells early does not change that. The only way I know of to get around this is to be a True Dragon of Old age or older. Even then, pretty much no DM is going to actually let a dragonwrought kobold take epic feats.

For 'legit' ninth level spell access, an Ur-Priest gets them at character level 14.

2. The Dweomerkeeper prestige class lets you turn spells supernatural a few times per day, which gets rid of all Components. Most DMs will throw books at you for that though, because the power to ignore material components, exp costs and long casting times is ridiculously good.

3. Stop and consider whether your DM will actually allow you to optimize away material costs, regardless of how you do it, because they exist to stop players from flinging around expensive spells every day, and once you allow them to be ignored you have opened the flood gates, pretty much forcing the DM to use the same tricks against you.

Pinkie Pyro
2016-08-31, 11:50 AM
1. Epic Feats all have Character Level 21st as a prerequisite, and getting 9th level spells early does not change that. The only way I know of to get around this is to be a True Dragon of Old age or older. Even then, pretty much no DM is going to actually let a dragonwrought kobold take epic feats.

For 'legit' ninth level spell access, an Ur-Priest gets them at character level 14.

2. The Dweomerkeeper prestige class lets you turn spells supernatural a few times per day, which gets rid of all Components. Most DMs will throw books at you for that though, because the power to ignore material components, exp costs and long casting times is ridiculously good.

3. Stop and consider whether your DM will actually allow you to optimize away material costs, regardless of how you do it, because they exist to stop players from flinging around expensive spells every day, and once you allow them to be ignored you have opened the flood gates, pretty much forcing the DM to use the same tricks against you.

I've already talked to him, he says if i can do it by the books, it's ok.

Dwemorkeeper looks helpful, i'll look into it.

ryu
2016-08-31, 12:13 PM

No it's just dragons in general that can do that. The only reason to care about ''true'' dragonhood is stuff like loredrake and similar.

Ruethgar
2016-09-01, 09:31 AM
No it's just dragons in general that can do that. The only reason to care about ''true'' dragonhood is stuff like loredrake and similar.

Actually, those archetypes never specify True either. There are some feats and of course the Spellhoarding template that require True though. I think the Dracinomicon PrCs might require True but AFB.

ryu
2016-09-01, 09:35 AM
Actually, those archetypes never specify True either. There are some feats and of course the Spellhoarding template that require True though. I think the Dracinomicon PrCs might require True but AFB.

Huh. I thought they did. Just goes to show, I actually underestimate the permissiveness of the system.

LordOfCain
2016-09-01, 09:41 AM
Huh. I thought they did. Just goes to show, I actually underestimate the permissiveness of the system.

So did I. I checked it and it just mentions true dragons has spellcasting and then it goes on to talk about just dragons... So.... This opens up quite a few builds that I didn't think were possible. So what is being a True dragon good for?

ryu
2016-09-01, 09:46 AM
So did I. I checked it and it just mentions true dragons has spellcasting and then it goes on to talk about just dragons... So.... This opens up quite a few builds that I didn't think were possible. So what is being a True dragon good for?

Starting pointless arguments about the legitimacy of our lords and masters the kobolds? Seriously, first pun-pun, then easy access to epic feats, then then a bunch of caster dragon PRCs. what next?

LordOfCain
2016-09-01, 09:48 AM
Starting pointless arguments about the legitimacy of our lords and masters the kobolds? Seriously, first pun-pun, then easy access to epic feats, then then a bunch of caster dragon PRCs. what next?

But you don't have to argue about the kobold being a true dragon if they can get archetypes and stuff by just doing explicitly what the feat says, having the dragon type. Turns out the Draconomicon PrCs don't even require you to be a true dragon. So.... Spell hoarding? Wait what????? This doesn't make any sense. First Spellhoarding says it can be acquired by any dragon with 3+ Int and a taste for magical knowledge but... then it says it can only be acquired by true dragons? Which one applies?