PDA

View Full Version : Help me do the math

dnd2016
2016-08-31, 10:44 AM
I want to make sure I'm doing this right . Assuming a half-elf seventh level bard with 20 Charisma and 18 dexterity,trying to get stealth and perception the highest I can possibly get it. What would my pluses be on both skills?

gfishfunk
2016-08-31, 10:56 AM
The 20 Cha results in +5
The 18 Dex results in +4
The ?? Wis results in +????

At level 7, you have a +3 proficiency.
If you have expertise on both skills, it would be double proficiency...

Stealth (expert): +10
Perception (expert): (Wis? + 6)

imneuromancer
2016-08-31, 10:58 AM
I want to make sure I'm doing this right . Assuming a half-elf seventh level bard with 20 Charisma and 18 dexterity,trying to get stealth and perception the highest I can possibly get it. What would my pluses be on both skills?

Perception requires a wisdom modifier to calculate.

But with an 18 Dex (+4) at 7th level (+3 Proficiency x 2 if doing expertise) it would be +4+3+3 = +10 for stealth. Any other modifiers?

NNescio
2016-08-31, 11:03 AM

Stealth? +10 at level seven. If you go Lore and picked up Pass Without Trace as part of your L6 Magical Secrets, you can tack on another +10 if you cast the spell. Beg your DM for a Stone of Good Luck (an uncommon item), and this goes up another +1. So, +21 at Level 7.

If you can layer another Guidance on top of that (from a teammate, due to concentration requirements), this goes up to an average of +23.5.

Oh and tack on Boots of Elvenkind on top of that to get advantage on using Stealth to move silently. This one doesn't eat up an attainment slot, unlike the luckstone.

For Perception, I dunno, you haven't mentioned your Wis yet. You do get a +6 at Level 7 if you have Expertise, even with Wis 10, and if you picked up observant on top of that your Passive Perception score is going to be 21 + wis mod. Find some way to get advantage (like say, by begging your DM for a Sentinel Shield, which also doesn't require attunement) and tack on the luckstone, and you can bump this up to 27 + wis mod (you still only roll with a +7 + Wis mod on an active check though. but you get advantage on the roll. Plus you can apply Guidance to the active check, unlike the passive one).

dnd2016
2016-08-31, 12:38 PM
Thanks guys I got mixed up with persuasion and perception. My wisdom is 14. But I get it now