PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Paladin Anti-Caster Build

WereRabbitz
2016-08-31, 12:20 PM
So thinking of going with a Paladin Anti-Caster build.

How would a Ancient Paladin 12 / Dragon Sorc 8 work out for this?

Starting at level 5 stats look like: (custom rolls)

Str: 18
Dex: 11
Con: 17
Int: 10
Wis: 13
Cha: 17

*Note* Really Tore on the Shield Mastery Vs PAM here thought the Shoving bieng Athletics might be more beneficial against casters who tend to not be that strong or dexterous.

Feats: Lucky, ASI (+1 to Con & Cha), Shield Mastery, Sentinel, Mage Slayer
Race: Half-Elf - Immune to Magical Sleep & Resist to Charm
Background: Entertainer (For flavor)

Theme: A Nature loving paladin that fights to protect it from evil casters.

Saves: Bless + Aura of Protection will give me some solid saves to my already solid saves & Shield Mastery help with Dex saves
Resist: Resist all Magic by Half, Immune to Disease & Sleep, Resistant to Charm (level 20 = +14 & Adv), can't be frightened (Aura)
AC: Plate + Shield (Sorc) + Shield of Faith (Pal) + Shield = Min of 23+5 easily clearing 30 with magical armor & shield to avoid melee hits form summoned monsters & the Sorc Landing spells that require a spell attack.
Anti Mage: Dispel Magic, Counter Spell, Shield all allow me to destroy, counter or avoid being hit by spells a caster might wield at me.

Attack: Mage Slayer + Sentinel + Shield Mastery (Shove) + Misty Step will allow me to close in on a mage and keep them down or at least on the defensive and provoking OA's unless they are careful.

Metamagic I was thinking of going Extend for longer Buffs/Debuffs & Careful to avoid hurting allies or Silent to avoid counter spelling(I think).

Playstyle: I picture this being go in with Bless up, Use Misty Step to close in on the caster, This allows sentinel to provoke a free hit if they move away, or Mage Slayer if they cast a spell. I can keep their concentration down by giving disadvantage without having to use bane. By shoving them i'm hurting their movement speed making sure that only magic can put them out of my range and even then it would have to be out of my Mistystep + Movement range.

Let me know of any suggestions you have!

Falcon X
2016-08-31, 12:56 PM
Here's what I did for my Paladin Anti-Caster if you want to glean an idea or two.

Oath of the Crown: Has Compelled Duel and Champions Challenge to focus on not letting the enemy get away. This is very important so that the mage doesn't teleport away and escape, or run outside your combat range. Other Oaths can do this, just not as efficiently.

Grapple Build: 2-3 Rounds to disable. Grapple them, shove them to the ground, put them in manacles and stuff their mouth with a gag.
If you can work in a level of Rogue to the backstory, it'll net you expertise in Athletics, as well as proficiency in Dex Saves.
Add a Shield Master feat to get them to the ground and grappled in a single round and have awesome saves against fireballs where you take 0 damage.

RulesJD
2016-08-31, 01:14 PM
At higher levels, best build would be Wizard 15/Sorc 5. Metamagic of Silent Spell + Heightened. Round 1 cast Feeblemind + Heightened. Almost guaranteed failure (Int save) = caster that can't cast spells. Tada.

By RAW, your build is okay but a better chassis for Anti-Caster is Shadow Monk. At-will non-concentration Invisibility + PWT + Silence + Stunning Fist.

I'd go Shadow Monk 14/Fighter 2/Cleric 4. Diamond Soul is solid. While Invisible cast Silence, move in, Action Surge -> Grapple.

To be anti-caster you really need a way of shutting down spell casting and the only way to do that is really the Silence spell. Even then, Contingency can get around that.

WereRabbitz
2016-08-31, 01:59 PM
Good information!

I really want to keep the Paladin 8 as it fits into my background and story really well, but the rest is up in the air.

Would it be better to go Bard and "Steal" Counterspell from Sorc since they get silence as well?