PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Goliath and Stoneblessed Dwarf Gestalt Build Help

sage20500
2016-08-31, 04:14 PM
trying to come up with some interesting gestalt combinations that could lead to some very fun character concepts, and I recently have been trying to make a Str/Con/Wis character that essentially fills the normal dwarf arcehtype you see in fantasy.

For now one side of the gestalt tree I was looking at trying to be 2 levels of Paladin (With Serenity) in order to shore up defenses since Wis is going to be one of the characters primary scores; and then the rest tome of battle with either warblade or crusader (might do a mix of both, not sure yet which will give me more) and adding Deepstone Sentinel to the build. Depending on how things go I'm actually thinking about splashing 2 levels of swordsage in order to get wis to ac while wearing Mithral Medium Armor. Not quite sure if its better to wear fullplate or one of the other heavy armors, or if Mithral Breatplate and wis to ac will help me out more in the long run.

Otherside of the gestalt tree was originally looking like 6 levels of dwarf fighter for dungeoncrashing fun, 1 or 2 levels of barbarian to get rage awesomeness, and then 2 levels of deepwarden to grab Con to AC instead of dex. After that aside from possibly going Frenzied Berserker I'm not sure what else I could do for classes.

The big question right now is that since I know I'm going to be using both fighter and barbarian I was wondering if it was worth it to try and go through the trouble of being able to combine the Dwarf Fighter Substitution levels with the Goliath Barbarian substitution level. Essentially the character would start as a Goliath Barbarian, and then move into taking Stoneblessed (Dwarf) 3 as soon as possible in order to take all the dwarf only goodness. Benefit wise I'd be able to use Large weapons from the get go, and if I make them out of gold or platinum they'd count as huge for damage dice, and then when ever I rage I get to size catagory increase to large so I now get reach. This also makes knockback viable and allows for more dungeon crashing fun. Downside is that it takes longer to enter into the dwarf side of things.

Other issue is that I'm not sure how Deepstone Sentinel plays with stoneblessed (dwarf). If I'm reading how the ability works correctly, then by all intents and purposes this actually makes the Mountain Fortress Stance somewhat better since it now covers more area (All squares adjacent to you), how ever I'm not sure how that will fly with most dm's since it was orginally designed for a small creature, not a large one.

Final question, was looking at potentially taking a 1 level dip in Battlesmith since I do plan on making Wis one of my high scores along with Str and Con. Is being able to add my wis mod to damage make warharmers better than the other potential 2hand weapons I could be using? Or is a 1 level dip in Battlesmith more of a trap for this kind of character?