PDA

View Full Version : Creating explosive and poison arrows

Doomwhispo
2016-08-31, 04:16 PM
Im new to DMing and one of my players, a ranger, would like to be able to create some special arrows. He was talking about gathering herbs to make poison or using the pot of oil he already has to maken incendiary arrows for example.
Would this be possible and how would I go about doing it? I was watching critical role and a pc seems to be inventing stuff all the time. Is there somewhere something I can use as Base to make this work in a way that makes sense? Or should i disallow it? Personlly i like the idea and I imagine he will want to invent even more stuff after...Any tips or idea are welcome

Erys
2016-08-31, 05:03 PM
I think poison arrows are covered under poisons in the DMG (257-258) and in the PHB (153- the items sample poison).

As for exploding arrows and other Hawkeye goodness... I wouldn't personally go down that route. But if the player is creative enough and you are willing, just make sure the player is using the appropriate kit and set the DC between 15 and 25, depending on potential devastation. :smallbiggrin:

Doomwhispo
2016-08-31, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the info on poisons. You directed me in the right direction for that. What about the explosive arrows or such. Would one need the tinkers tool proficiency to make them? And assuming one has oil wich is flammable could you then make them?

Reaper34
2016-08-31, 07:45 PM
Easiest "explosive arrows" would be on a prepared position with regular flaming arrows. spread oil, wait for bbeg, light and shoot arrow into area, watch inferno.

for incendary arrows you would probably have to forgo the piercing damage and some range, but with a molotove style fuse and a resaviour that crushes on impact. it might work.

for explosive arrows you need an accual explosive. attach it to an arrow, either as the point or a piggyback. point gets more range but doesn't stick in, may explode on contact depending on trigger. piggyback short range but can fire and the arrow may stick into whatever it hits, this lets poorly timed long fuses still hit the target area.

these methods may also be used for inhaled poisons.

another option for poison, would be a "knockout dart" style arrow. kinda of a syringe as the point with a lead plunger. could be used to deliver a massive dose of a poison instead of just one dose you would get from dipping the point. handy for knocking out big creatures.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-09-01, 10:27 AM
Explosive arrows would be a very powerful item if you allow them. I'd look for a way to restrict it by level - such as by making them magic items that require knowledge of the Fireball spell to make. And they'd be very expensive, likely several thousand gp per quiver-full.

As it happens, my Blizzard Bolts (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20505579&postcount=1) are essentially what you're looking for and they weigh in at 'very rare', which means it would take 200 days to make each batch under the DMG crafting rules.

Just coating an arrow in oil and setting it on fire, on the other hand, isn't really going to inflict any more damage. I'd just change it from piercing to fire, and allow it to set fire to flammable objects.

Doomwhispo
2016-09-03, 06:10 AM
Yes I see what you mean with the coating the arrow. Can you open a link for the blizzard arrows I'd like to look at them but clicking on the name doesn't seem to work

Ninja_Prawn
2016-09-03, 07:59 AM
Can you open a link for the blizzard arrows I'd like to look at them but clicking on the name doesn't seem to work

The link works for me. The bolts are inside the spoiler box under where it says 'items'. You have to click 'show' to open the box.

Random thought: If your setting has non-magical explosives (maybe you're using the renaissance tech from the DMG), I'd point out to the player that strapping a tiny bomb to an arrow is probably a waste of gunpowder. He may as well just buy a gun.

Doomwhispo
2016-09-03, 07:23 PM
The link isn't working for me. Maybe cos I'm using a smartphone. Anyway when u said Renaissance weapons I remembered something in the DMG about it. I think I'll make it abit like gunpowder exploding: deals 3d6 in a 10feet range from a point you choose and dc 12 to take half dmg. Does it sound OP? He's a lvl 4 ranger now. I'm worried later in combination with volley it could be too strong but I could make it so he can't volley with explosive arrows ? Like they have a fuse he needs to lit before shooting them and it requires a bonus action.