PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Bladesinger 2/Warlock X?

Laughingdagger
2016-09-01, 01:08 AM
So I'm thinking about a bladesinger 2/warlock X with blade pact, haven't sat down about the mechanics yet and I have to be up early tomorrow so I don't have time right now :smallfrown:

Does anyone have any thoughts on the combo? I'd love to hear any discourse about it.

Cheers until tomorrow.

Drackolus
2016-09-01, 01:12 AM
That's a lotta stats. You'll need int, cha, dex, and con. Maybe if you roll stats and roll well, then pick a half-elf or standard human... other than that, I just don't think you could make it work.
That said, if you did, it would be pretty rad.

Gastronomie
2016-09-01, 01:13 AM
So I'm thinking about a bladesinger 2/warlock X with blade pact, haven't sat down about the mechanics yet and I have to be up early tomorrow so I don't have time right now :smallfrown:

Does anyone have any thoughts on the combo? I'd love to hear any discourse about it.

Cheers until tomorrow.You do need to be pretty MAD though. High DEX, CON, at least 13 INT, and at least 13 CHA. If you're gonna be loyal to the SCAG you also need to be an elf.

I've played Figher/Bladelocks a lot but have never even thought of a Bladesinger/Bladelock. I don't see a reason why Bladesingers should go into Bladelock, but what's your intentions?

Grod_The_Giant
2016-09-01, 07:10 AM
Your stat problems are even worse than just for multiclassing; Bladesong isn't very good if you don't have much Int, and Warlocks suffer more than just bad save DCs if their Cha is low. I can't see how the benefit is worth the cost.

Specter
2016-09-01, 10:17 PM
All of the abive, plus if you're multiclassing why not Warlock 2/Bladesinger X? You get the best invocations at level 2 anyway.

Citan
2016-09-02, 04:13 AM

Cheers until tomorrow.
Hi!
Well, what other said.

To be honest, it can work but only if you make a very specific build to limit MADness as much as possible.
Start Warlock (to get Charisma proficiency which will compensate lower stat) then dip Wizard and back Warlock.
From Wizard, learn Shield and anything other, as well as the weapon cantrips.
From Warlock, learn only buff spells, preferably those that don't rely on concentration (Armor of Agathys, Mirror Image) or those that you can use with relative safety (Invisibility + Stealth). Take the free Mage Armor Invocation ASAP.

Start with 16 DEX, 16 INT, 14 CON, 14 CHA (8 STR, 8 WIS).
Be aware though, this is a dangerous build.

I guess you wanted to go Bladelock for the Extra Attack and +CHA on damage. But with the Bladesinger dip, it limits so much your stats that you won't really make much use of it. Unless you always rely on the Darkness+Darkvision combo, but even that may not always work.

A probably better way to go at this would be dropping the Blade Pact and take the Tome Pact instead, with Shillelagh.
This way, you can bump INT and CHA as a priority. As far as AC go it shouldn't change anything, but now you can actually use your Warlock spells to better effect, and you also get better chance to hit and damage. Especially since you have weapon cantrips, which will equal Extra Attack at level 5 and outpower it at lvl 11.

With a Half-Elf, you could start with 16 (14+2) CHA, 16 (15+1) INT, 14 (13+1) CON, 12 DEX, 10 WIS, 8 STR. (or swap CON with DEX if you'd prefer agility and better AC to resilience and better concentration).
When Bladesinging, you would have a respectable 17 AC (Mage Armor: 13+1, +3 INT) and you could just bump CHA first for everything, and either INT or DEX if you can spare it (INT for AC+concentration, DEX for AC/Initiative/Mirror Image/Stealth).
THIS build should work: from Wizard, learn only non save or suck spells such as Find Familiar, Shield, Magic Missiles...
From Warlock, you can pick whatever you want (I'd still focus first on self-buffs though ;)). And you also get the ritual learning which greedily eats at Wizard and Cleric spelllists, so you get many great things which don't rely on your casting stat.

With that said, I'm not sure why you would want to be a fullcaster Warlock if you are ready to go so far to get Bladesinger.
The main advantages of Bladesong are...
+INT to concentration saves: you could just take Resilient:CON, plain better.
+INT to AC: just maxing DEX with Mage Armor should get the same result (or close enough), or you could just dip any class giving either shield proficiency or heavy armor to get 18 AC.
+10 feet: far from mandatory for a caster, good but not strictly required for a frontliner, Mobile works as well and also gives free disengage.
Advantage on Dexterity checks: not worth enough to justify the dip.

TBH, if I were to make such a mix, I would rather go through and make myself a complete gish relying on melee attacks and relying on spells mainly for buff/utility: I'd go Bladesinger 6 / Tomelock 14 if I'm interested in 14th Patron feature, or Bladesinger 9 / Tomelock 11 (8/12 if ASI).
I'd start the same as you just to enable the Bladesong, then I'd level up by taking "chunks" of Wizard or Warlock alternatively, and I'd end up with...
- A spellbook filled up with as many as Wizard spells as possible, up to 5th level spells.
- A nice selection of Warlock spells to complement, along with 3 5th level short rest slots, perfect to use with Wizard spells or with the Song of Defense absorption feature (you could soak up 3*25 damage per short rest. Not so bad).
- A few good invocations to play with: Armor of Shadows (free Mage Armor), Book of Ancients Secrets (all rituals), Devils Sight (darkvision 120 feet) then two among the following: Ascendant Step (free Levitate), Beguiling Influence (Deception/Persuasion), Fiendish Vigor, Misty Visions or Eldricht Sight.
- I'd max either INT or CHA depending on my playstyle and choice of spells in each class (INT for spellcasting main, CHA for melee main).