PDA

View Full Version : Dashing and stealth on a flyng carpet

Doomwhispo
2016-09-01, 07:13 AM
Is it possible to take the dash action while your on a magic carpet? Thus basically making the carpet go twice as fast.. and say your in stealth does the stealth still work? Normally you can't dash and stealth but in this case your not moving the carpet is

Coffee_Dragon
2016-09-01, 07:29 AM
The carpet is continually shaking its tassels with little bells on them, making stealth impossible. It also goes breep breep when backing up and honk honk at every camel crossing.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-09-01, 07:39 AM
1. I'd allow dashing on a magic carpet, but I expect plenty of DMs wouldn't. There are fair arguments either way.

2. There's no rule that says you can't stay hidden while dashing, though I imagine the noise would be a problem in many cases. And the fact that there won't be many situations where you can remain obscured for that kind of distance in combat situations. Because the rules do imply that you can't hide in plain sight in combat under normal circumstances.

Vogonjeltz
2016-09-01, 06:25 PM
I'd treat it as a vehicle based on what it is, in which case dashing is not an option.

If you were heavily obscured, yes you could hide. On the larger carpets (since a character might be bigger than the smaller ones) that could be possible just using the carpet itself for cover if the character lay flat on it, for example...although the carpet itself would still probably be visible and therefore targetable.

Shaofoo
2016-09-01, 07:05 PM
Unless the carpet itself has a way to use the Dash option itself then it can't dash. Dash adds to your own movement points and I believe the carpet provides its own pool of movement separate from your own.

And same deal with Stealth but this is much more DM dependent since you can argue either way that the carpet is being silent or not.

Doomwhispo
2016-09-03, 08:10 PM
What do you mean it's own pool of movement. It's not like you can use the carpet to fly 50ft and then jump off and use your own movement to dash 60ft can you?

Shaofoo
2016-09-03, 08:23 PM
What do you mean it's own pool of movement. It's not like you can use the carpet to fly 50ft and then jump off and use your own movement to dash 60ft can you?

Yes you can.

The carpet follows any order that you give it. You can tell it to fly in any given direction and after wards you can jump off since it moves independent of your turn since you don't control it like a mount. Of course to actually jump off at any particular point means that you have to probably ready the jump while it is moving.

But to answer your question the carpet does not move on your turn, it moves 50 feet when it is its turn (which most DMs would probably put it as after yours but it is independent).