PDA

View Full Version : MinMaxing and Optimization Help?

Lukalaly
2016-09-01, 10:20 AM
I recently started a campaign with a friend of mine that is quite good at minmaxing/optimization and let him use every sourcebook to optimize to his heart's content, and I want to try to come up with a final boss that's more interesting and fun than just throwing some pitfiends and dragons at him. I'd much rather make an actual npc and optimize him to beat my player, but I'm fairly new to this and don't exactly know what I'm doing.
I don't have the actual character sheet for his character, but this is the basics: Erudite5 (favored discipline StP)/ Thrallherd4// Totemist3/ Warblade1 (Race: Dragonwrought Kobold)
His main gimmick is that he uses a custom power called reduce monster to reduce his size, and uses another custom power called Bombard the Greatest Foe, which is just fell the greatest foe but ranged
He made another character for a friend that is also joining: Warblade5/ Warforged Juggernaut2/ Wild soul2 (Race: Warforged)
(We are using a semi-gestalt rule, which can be found in the srd, the only exception being that he only gets an extra class level every other normal level. So he gets extra class levels at 2,4,6,8,10 etc.)
I sent around 30 Imps at him just for fun and he dispatched them with ease, although at the expense of his daily followers and a lot of magic missile scrolls. He also killed my original test-chain devils without breaking a sweat, although he took more damage from the devils than from the imps due to dr. So if anyone can help me find a way to make a villain capable of beating them, please tell me.

Flickerdart
2016-09-01, 10:43 AM
You mean this friend (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?498858-Party-Tier-and-Build-Help)? You're going to need dragons. Something silly like Spellhoarding Loredrake Adult Steel Dragon (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20040328a). Casts as an 11th level wizard, has a polymorph SLA 5 times/day on top of that, and rocks good SR. As a dragon, he should have minions, polymorphed into scarier minions. He can use animate dead and command undead recast every day to create a giant army of skeletons, and Corpsecrafter feats + desecrate to make sure these skeletons are strong.

LordOfCain
2016-09-01, 10:48 AM
You mean this friend (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?498858-Party-Tier-and-Build-Help)? You're going to need dragons. Something silly like Spellhoarding Loredrake Adult Steel Dragon (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20040328a). Casts as an 11th level wizard, has a polymorph SLA 5 times/day on top of that, and rocks good SR. As a dragon, he should have minions, polymorphed into scarier minions. He can use animate dead and command undead recast every day to create a giant army of skeletons, and Corpsecrafter feats + desecrate to make sure these skeletons are strong.

I am indeed that friend.

Flickerdart
2016-09-01, 10:51 AM
I am indeed that friend.
Well then it's going to be awkward when your DM pulls out some spellhoarding loredrake steel dragons and it turns out you brought along dragon repellent spray. :smallamused:

Lukalaly
2016-09-01, 11:20 AM
You're going to need dragons. Something silly like Spellhoarding Loredrake Adult Steel Dragon. Casts as an 11th level wizard, has a polymorph SLA 5 times/day on top of that, and rocks good SR. As a dragon, he should have minions, polymorphed into scarier minions. He can use animate dead and command undead recast every day to create a giant army of skeletons, and Corpsecrafter feats + desecrate to make sure these skeletons are strong.

Thanks for the suggestion, although since he uses reduce person into fell the greatest foe it might not be the best idea to have dragons due to size. Also, I apologize for editing your comment, having made this account a few hours ago is a tad annoying due to my current post restrictions.

LordOfCain
2016-09-01, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, although since he uses reduce person into fell the greatest foe it might not be the best idea to have dragons due to size. Also, I apologize for editing your comment, having made this account a few hours ago is a tad annoying due to my current post restrictions.

Steel dragons almost always stay in human form.

Steel dragons prefer human form to their own, so they're rarely seen in their natural forms.

Lukalaly
2016-09-01, 11:25 AM
Steel dragons almost always stay in human form.

True, although I feel like it would be generally cooler to fight a dragon as a final boss-esq enemy rather than what looks like a normal wizard.

Flickerdart
2016-09-01, 11:50 AM
Fell the greatest foe only works on melee attacks. If a dragon doesn't want to get into melee, it doesn't have to - it's really, really fast.

Also, reduce person doesn't work on either character. It only works on humanoids, and your party consists of a dragon and a construct.

LordOfCain
2016-09-01, 11:55 AM
Fell the greatest foe only works on melee attacks. If a dragon doesn't want to get into melee, it doesn't have to - it's really, really fast.

Also, reduce person doesn't work on either character. It only works on humanoids, and your party consists of a dragon and a construct.

He uses custom powers based off of reduce person and fell the greatest foe. One is reduce monster, a level 2 power, and the other is Bombard the Greatest Foe, a level 3 version of Fell the Greatest Foe

Lukalaly
2016-09-01, 12:21 PM

Oh, I suppose I should have mentioned this:
He uses custom powers based off of reduce person and fell the greatest foe. One is reduce monster, a level 2 power, and the other is Bombard the Greatest Foe, a level 3 version of Fell the Greatest Foe

I guess I'll edit the original post to be more specific.

LordOfCain
2016-09-02, 04:20 PM
True, although I feel like it would be generally cooler to fight a dragon as a final boss-esq enemy rather than what looks like a normal wizard.

Well in the web article it describes a steel dragon turning from its humanoid bookseller form to its dragon form to threaten some potential thieves.

Lukalaly
2016-09-02, 04:34 PM
Well in the web article it describes a steel dragon turning from its humanoid bookseller form to its dragon form to threaten some potential thieves.

That's also true. And I could work it into the "plot" pretty easily, although it's pretty minimalistic right now. That isn't really the point of it though, mostly just trying to test how op of a character(s) you can make.

LordOfCain
2016-09-02, 04:36 PM
That's also true. And I could work it into the "plot" pretty easily, although it's pretty minimalistic right now. That isn't really the point of it though, mostly just trying to test how op of a character(s) you can make.
Okay. Still, just saiyan that fluff wise it is A-OK.