PDA

View Full Version : You killed my father, prepare to die.

mgshamster
2016-09-01, 11:53 AM
What are some different ideas for building Inigo Montoya from Princess Bride?

Level 10, any WotC material including UA.

Specter
2016-09-01, 12:55 PM
Different from Swashbuckler, you mean?

• Champion w/ the Defensive Duelist feat
• Battlemaster with Parry, Precision and Disarming
• Vengeance Paladin (why not?), DEX-based

That's all I got.

smcmike
2016-09-01, 01:07 PM
Mechanically, any dex-based martial who effectively uses a single rapier will work. He doesn't really have any other defining characteristics - in fact, in trying to map him onto a D&D class, the real problem is not including things that he doesn't do. He doesn't wear armor. He doesn't cast spells. There's no indication that he is good at skills apart from acrobatics. He isn't very dynamic socially. He doesn't use a ranged weapon.

mgshamster
2016-09-01, 01:23 PM
In the book he's a long distance runner, skilled in every aspect of sword play (specifically fencing) both left and right handed, and an able blacksmith and sailor.

I figure we'd want to make him not only an effective swordsman above all else, but also have a good armor class to represent the ability to parry, along with high HP to represent him getting hit and capable of continued fighting.

I haven't looked at the swashbuckler, but my immediate thoughts were Battlemaster with a dip into barbarian for the AC boost from Con.

Biggstick
2016-09-01, 01:32 PM
Battlemaster 7 // Swashbuckler 3 with the Criminal, Urchin, or Sailor (variant: Pirate) background. Use armor/shields, or don't.

Human Fighter with Sentinel.

15(+1)
13(+1)

Start Fighter, go with the Dueling Fighting style, choose Maneuvers: Riposte, Precision, Disarming, choose Navigator's tools. Max out Dex with your first two ASI's, or grab something like Alert/Mobile/Lucky. Once you're PC level 11 (Fighter level 8), consider Resilient: Wisdom.

After 7 levels Fighter, grab your Rogue levels. Being able to skirt in and out of combat (with cunning action/Fancy Footwork), being able to judge your enemy after some observation (Know your Enemy), all while having a response to enemy attacks with Riposte and Sentinel is very fitting for Inigo Montoya.

EvilAnagram
2016-09-01, 02:18 PM
Hunter Ranger 5, Swashbuckler 5

Hunter's Mark, extra attack, Colossus Slayer, Sneak Attack. Your average damage will be insane with little resource cost. Sentinel starting feat to keep your quarry from fleeing.

Bonus points if your favored enemy is "the physically deformed."

Degwerks
2016-09-01, 02:29 PM
Hunter Ranger 5, Swashbuckler 5

Hunter's Mark, extra attack, Colossus Slayer, Sneak Attack. Your average damage will be insane with little resource cost.

Was just going to post this! I hit refresh on this thread first before posting though.