PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 half dragon rules question

sage20500
2016-09-01, 03:03 PM
Regarding half dragons, is it possible for a half dragon to have half dragon offspring?

Ive been throwing around the idea of a character who had a half battle dragon minotaur and a dwarf as their parents. Was wondering if that woulf allow for a half dragon half minotaur earth dwarf without having to resort to "a wizard did it"

KillianHawkeye
2016-09-01, 03:13 PM
Sure, it's possible... if your DM agrees to it.

BowStreetRunner
2016-09-01, 03:17 PM
Regarding half dragons, is it possible for a half dragon to have half dragon offspring?

Ive been throwing around the idea of a character who had a half battle dragon minotaur and a dwarf as their parents. Was wondering if that woulf allow for a half dragon half minotaur earth dwarf without having to resort to "a wizard did it"

Short answer, sure, go for it.

Long answer, the rules for genetics in D&D don't mirror the rules in our universe. There is no mechanic for dealing with someone who is the offspring of parents who are already half-something so the DM and Players are left to figure out how best to represent this themselves. You could easily fluff it the way you described.

Boci
2016-09-01, 03:31 PM
The DM may actually prefer "a wizard did it", if they like to interpret genetics in a more RL sense than D&D typically does. If so then half-dragon is likely the easiest to justify acquiring, since there is precedent for gaining it. You were a half-minotaur earth dwarf who then gained the half-dragon template, without needing to complete a meh prestige class. Maybe a ritual involving the still warm blood of a dragon, or dragonflesh grafts and likely lithids, always a favorite of mine.

torrasque666
2016-09-01, 03:34 PM
I'd probably say that they could have half Dragon children... with another half Dragon. Maybe with a Dragonborn. But aside from that I'd say next generation is a Draconic creature and after that it'd be Dragonblooded race (if it matches. Otherwise more Draconic.)

Telonius
2016-09-02, 07:41 AM
There's an older (third-party) book called Bastards and Bloodlines; I'm pretty sure it has some rules for that sort of thing. Just in general, it would make sense to me that they could produce offspring.

Here's how I would rule it. On the one side you have dragon and minotaur. Dragon can breed with pretty much anything that breathes (and probably a few things that don't) to make a half-dragon, and Minotaurs can produce offspring with Humanoids, Giants, and Monstrous Humanoids to make a half-minotaur. So on the one side, it would be a half-dragon with minotaur as the base creature. Draconic heritage, but it's still basically a minotaur. Dwarf is an acceptable target for the half-minotaur template. So their offspring would have Dwarf as the base creature, with the Half-Minotaur (and maybe Draconic Creature) template. Giving this creature, from the templates: Large size*, +6 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int, +2 Cha, natural armor +3, speed +10, Gore attack, Claw attacks, Level Adjustment +2. No changes to type, so it's still a (very weird-looking) humanoid. Add all of that to the regular Dwarf changes, for an end result of +6 Str, +4 Con, -2 Int, Speed 30.

* NOTE: there is some rules controversy about what, exactly, the size increase does as far as stats go. There is a table for changes to statistics by size, but it's mentioned in the context of improving monsters' hit dice. (For example, moving from a 6-hd Medium gargoyle to a 7-hd Large gargoyle). Either the size gives you nothing in particular for ability scores, or it gives you an additional +8 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Con, +2 Natural armor. Personally I lean to the "nothing in particular" side, because +8 to anything is absurd for a +1 LA template - as opposed to just "really overpowered" as written.

Someguy231
2016-09-03, 02:47 PM
I'd probably say that they could have half Dragon children... with another half Dragon. Maybe with a Dragonborn. But aside from that I'd say next generation is a Draconic creature and after that it'd be Dragonblooded race (if it matches. Otherwise more Draconic.)

In the case of 3.5, the Dragonborn of Bahamut are sterile and cannot reproduce. I was thinking more of the children of a half-dragon parent, and a non half-dragon parent being more of the Draconic creature template, and then the bloodline just diminishes from there, similar to the Silverbrow Humans.

Oh wait, I just repeated what you said. Whoops.

torrasque666
2016-09-03, 03:19 PM
* NOTE: there is some rules controversy about what, exactly, the size increase does as far as stats go. There is a table for changes to statistics by size, but it's mentioned in the context of improving monsters' hit dice. (For example, moving from a 6-hd Medium gargoyle to a 7-hd Large gargoyle). Either the size gives you nothing in particular for ability scores, or it gives you an additional +8 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Con, +2 Natural armor. Personally I lean to the "nothing in particular" side, because +8 to anything is absurd for a +1 LA template - as opposed to just "really overpowered" as written.
Why is there controversy? The template specifically tells you to reference that table and apply the changes described there. Generally yes, it'd only be applied to monsters changing size through Hitdice, but the specific rule of the template would override it in this circumstance.

Ruethgar
2016-09-03, 03:31 PM
Almost all half breeds in D&D maintain their half status through several generations, magical creatures even more so. Dragons in particular have been stated to be able to spontaneously appear several generations later from two non-draconic parents.