PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next College of Beauty

clash
2016-09-01, 04:47 PM
Bardic college of beauty
3: Blinding beauty - You are trained in how to carry yourself and dress yourself to enhance your natural beauty to a state of perfection. You beauty makes even the most dedicated fighter want to stay his blade. When unarmored your ac equals 10 + dex + cha
3: Subtle Seduction - You add the spell charm person to your list of known spells if you dont already know it. Additionally, whenever you cast a spell from the school of enchantment or illusion, you can spend an inspiration die to ignore the verbal and somatic components of that spell.
6: Kiss of death - You are well versed in poisoning your lips so that the sweetest kiss becomes lethal. As an action make a melee spell attack against a creature to kiss it. If you succeed the creature takes 2d12 poison damage. If the creature is charmed by you, you automatically succeed on the attack roll and must the creature must reattempt their saving throw to end the effect if it would normally be ended by taking damage. At level 11 this damage increases to 3d12 and again at level 17 to 4d12.
14: Entice Obsession - With a few words and an enticing glance you can make a friendly creature obsessed with you. As an action choose a humanoid creature that is friendly to you or charmed by you and can see and hear you. The creature must make a wisdom saving throw against your spell dc. If it fails the creature is charmed by you and will do everything it can to please you. The effect lasts for 8 hours. Asking the creature to stab itself, throw itself onto a spear, immolate itself, or do some other obviously harmful act ends the effect. Once you have used this feature you cant use it again until you complete a long rest.

So I have been playing around with this archetype. Let me know how it looks and if it has balance issues.

SMac8988
2016-09-01, 06:06 PM
Bardic college of beauty
3: Blinding beauty - You are trained in how to carry yourself and dress yourself to enhance your natural beauty to a state of perfection. You beauty makes even the most dedicated fighter want to stay his blade. When unarmored your ac equals 10 + dex + cha
3: Seduction - You can use your beauty and charm to trick creatures into lowering their guard against you. When a creature makes a saving throw against a spell you cast, you can use your reaction to expend one of your uses of Bardic Inspiration, rolling a Bardic Inspiration die and subtracting the number rolled from the creature’s roll. You can choose to use this feature after the creature makes its roll, but before the DM indicates if they failed or succeeded on their save.
6: Kiss of death - You are well versed in poisoning your lips so that the sweetest kiss becomes lethal. As an action make a melee spell attack against a creature to kiss it. If you succeed the creature takes 2d12 poison damage. If the creature is charmed by you, you gain advantage on the attack roll and must reattempt their saving throw to end the effect if it would normally be ended by taking damage. At level 11 this damage increases to 3d12 and again at level 17 to 4d12.
14: Entice Obsession - With a few words and an enticing glance you can make a friendly creature obsessed with you. As an action choose a humanoid creature that is friendly to you or charmed by you and can see and hear you. The creature must make a wisdom saving throw against your spell dc. If it fails the creature is charmed by you and will do everything it can to please you. The effect lasts until you use it again on a different creature or make an obviously harmful request. Asking the creature to stab itself, throw itself onto a spear, immolate itself, or do some other obviously harmful act ends the spell. Once you have used this feature you cant use it again until you complete a long rest.

So I have been playing around with this archetype. Let me know how it looks and if it has balance issues.

I actually really really like this. I was planning on putting a swashbuckler based prince, soon to be king, with a bard dip and may use this. It's kinda awesome.

clash
2016-09-01, 06:31 PM
I actually really really like this. I was planning on putting a swashbuckler based prince, soon to be king, with a bard dip and may use this. It's kinda awesome.

Thanks feel free. I am not entirely sure if the level 6 ability is strong enough or if the level 14 ability is to strong so I may change this as I get more feedback

SMac8988
2016-09-01, 06:38 PM
Thanks feel free. I am not entirely sure if the level 6 ability is strong enough or if the level 14 ability is to strong so I may change this as I get more feedback

I'll try and test it soon as I can. My group who is set to meet him is still several sessions away

JellyPooga
2016-09-01, 06:44 PM

I think the level 6 ability is fine as it it. It's basically a Range:Touch Cantrip with damage of an unfavourable type and slightly higher damage compared to other attack Cantrips. This is on the weak side, but it would be too easy to skew the other way, I think.

The level 14 ability looks ok too. Comparable to the GOO Warlocks Create Thrall.

SharkForce
2016-09-01, 06:45 PM
there is a damned good reason bards can't penalize enemy saves normally with bardic inspiration. the level 3 ability to apply a huge negative modifier to enemy saves is all kinds of broken. it can very quickly lead to reaching a point where enemies simply needn't bother rolling their saving throw, because they won't be succeeding regardless. this ability needs to be replaced entirely. it simply cannot exist in a balanced game.

the level 6 ability is pretty strong, though at least it actually allows a save. it might not be completely broken, provided you don't include a bunch of ways to penalize enemy saving throws.

the level 14 ability ... well, it's stronger than the strongest form of mind control allowed to any caster at any level, on top of costing no resources (like planar binding) and not needing concentration (like dominate spells). it might need to be toned down a bit.

SMac8988
2016-09-01, 07:02 PM
I also could only see a very very powerful build of swashbuckler and this. Or paladin bard being an even stronger mix

clash
2016-09-01, 08:11 PM
What if I made the level 14 ability only last 8 hours? Then would it be more balanced with the restrictions that are already in place?

As for the level 3 bardic inspiration do you have any suggestions on what would be better? I was originally going to grant disadvantage on the save but that doesn't use the roll result

Giant2005
2016-09-01, 09:32 PM
The level 14 abillity is fine as long as most of it is just fluff and it only bestows the Charmed condition. It is written a little wierdly mind you, I think you should take some inspiration from the GOO Warlock's Create Thrall ability, which is basically the same thing.
Other than that, the only issue I have with it is the stupid name. When I read the abilities, I was under the impression that the class is supposed to basically be Leliana from Dragon Age: Origins. If so, being beautiful is just a tool for her job, not the actual job itself.

Specter
2016-09-01, 09:36 PM
Exchange the level 3 and level 6 features. Subtracting from saves is too powerful, and the poison kiss not too much.

clash
2016-09-02, 09:19 AM
Changed Seduction to subtle seduction and kiss of death to auto hit charmed opponent and limited entice obsession to 8 hour duration