PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade in 5E?

RogueartFX
2016-09-01, 09:53 PM
Has anyone seen or come up with a good homebrew Duskblade that is balanced? I don't know about all of you, but I really enjoyed my brief time as a Duskblade. She was the most glass cannon character that I ever played, but she was fun.

PeteNutButter
2016-09-01, 09:56 PM
Eldritch Knight?

Could probably reflavor the paladin with wizard spells if you wanted a 1/2 caster.

Specter
2016-09-01, 10:20 PM
Eldritch Knight 10/Wizard 10. They even took Eldritch Strike straight from duskblades.

DracoKnight
2016-09-02, 01:32 AM
Has anyone seen or come up with a good homebrew Duskblade that is balanced? I don't know about all of you, but I really enjoyed my brief time as a Duskblade. She was the most glass cannon character that I ever played, but she was fun.

The Pact of the Blade Warlock is the Duskblade of 5e.

DivisibleByZero
2016-09-02, 06:56 AM

I don't see that comparison at all.
The EK is the Duskblade of 5e.
If you wanted a multiclass that most closely emulates the DB from 3.5, I'd say it would be EK7(or 10)/Pally2/Wiz(or sorc, as it multis better here)11(or 8). The pally's divine smite and smite spells add the flavor of channeling a spell.

Jeebs
2016-09-02, 07:17 AM
Paladin with the Magic Initiate Feat for some Cantrips?

Ask your DM if you can use INT for spellcasting and features? Arcane rather than Divine.

You might come up with a replacement for Lay On Hands and other healing features, if you don't think they're thematic.

Specter
2016-09-02, 07:52 AM

Wouldn't that be a hexblade?

Falcon X
2016-09-02, 08:26 AM
Middle Finger of Vecna did a great Warmage that is much more of a fighter than it's 3E counterpart. I think it fits a lot of the same feel of Duskblade:
http://www.middlefingerofvecna.com/2015/11/warmage.html

PeteNutButter
2016-09-02, 08:43 AM
DuskBlade 5e

Prof: Martial Weps, Medium Armor, Shields
Saves: Wis, Int (think con would be too good)
To multiclass: 13 str, 13 int

Casting: progresses as paladin, wizard list, int based

Level:
1: 3 Cantrips, fighting style
2: Channel Spell. As a bonus action you can cast a spell and store it into a melee weapon. The next time you hit with that melee weapon the spell hits the target. The spell must be a spell that can be twinned (same restrictions). This uses concentration, and getting hit while holding a spell on a weapon is subjected to con saves or lose it. Can hold for up to 1 minute.
3: Subclass Feature
4: ASI
5: Extra Attack
6: Aura of Warding (stolen from ancients paladin subclass)
7: Subclass Feature
8: ASI
9: -
10: Aura of Warding now grants adv against spells
11: Improved Channel Spell. You can now channel any spell you can cast (twin restriction lifted). No longer costs a bonus action, but limited to once per TURN.
12: ASI
13:-
14:
15: Subclass
16: ASI
17:-
18: Aura Improvements +20 Feet
19: ASI
20: Subclass

Subclasses can be based on styles, like an elf style to allow ranged attacks channeling. Or based on schools like wizard subclass, or based on branching out and picking spells not on the wizard list, cleric spells, warlock spells, druid spells etc, like the paladin oaths.

Addaran
2016-09-02, 02:32 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?481588-D-amp-D-5e-Homebrew-Compendium-2
That's the thread for all the Giantitp homebrew. They have two duskblades.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?399246-Duskblade-class-with-Magus-and-Swiftblade-archetypes
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?431632-5e-Duskblade-PEACH

MeeposFire
2016-09-02, 04:03 PM
The paladin in many ways does what the duskbalde did at least in terms of basic use. It gets to attack and channel spell energy into extra damage on the attack. Change the paladin to more wizard like damage spells gives you most of the boost. Then for the other abilities give up some of the divine related abilties and give them cantrips, a quicken spell ability, and some way to use it. That can tak you most of the way.

The EK is also a natural choice. IT does not technically work exactly the same but casting a spell and then attacking is close.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-09-02, 04:30 PM
The Paladin's Smite is the closest thing to the Duskblade's arcane channelling, I fear. A Paladin 2-5/Sorcerer 15-18 would probably be your best bet-- good martial skills, plenty of offensive magic, and the ability to channel your power into melee strikes. (As a minor bonus, Sorcadin was a thing in 3.5 too!)

Waazraath
2016-09-02, 04:54 PM
5e is flexible enough to allow a lot of possible options to create a duskblade like character. It depends on what defines the duskblade for you. Arcane channeling? Go paladin, or valor bard, or a lor bard fighter 5 multiclass. An int based warrior with some spells? Eldritch knight, possibly with wizard levels if you want to heighten spell casting. Or blade dancer wizard, maybe with a few levels EK. Any gish like warrior? Sorcerer and pact of the blade warlock are valid options as well, especially with the SCAG cantrips to emulate arcane channeling.

Fable Wright
2016-09-04, 02:28 AM
To be honest, I'd just mash the Eldritch Knight subclass onto the Paladin Chassis. To whit:

Level 1: Replace Lay on Hands and Divine Sense with two Wizard cantrips of your choice. Spellcasting is Int-based, same spell list as Eldritch Knight.
Level 3, 7, 10, 15: Replace all Paladin features at these levels with the Eldritch Knight subclass options at these levels.
Level 6: Replace Charisma to Saves with Action Surge 1/short rest (to mesh with Eldritch Knight 15 ability.)
Level 14: Convert to ASI, as per Fighter.
Level 20: Capstone modifies Divine Strike to provide a bonus to all attacks in a round when you burn the spell slot (cannot burn multiple slots a round this way). If that's too strong, just replace the capstone with Improved War Magic. Who'll notice the difference?

Voila. Duskblade. Glass cannon without Fighter or Paladin heal/saves, high damage potential, surprising combat versatility, no weird new mechanic systems to juggle, runnable out of the book. At least, this is how I'd pitch it to a DM, as opposed to linking them to a homebrew.