PDA

View Full Version : From Boots to Rrrroots: A Discussion of our similarities with various OotS characters

Miraqariftsky
2007-07-07, 09:50 AM
Hullo, folks.

I discovered one of these past days that my right shoe is looser than the left, however much I tie or adjust them. Weren't Roy's footwear mismatched in the same manner?

I also sometimes wax on lectures, be they literary, historical or even about quantum mechanics, almost as much as Vaarsuvius.

When I speak, therrre arrre times that people misunderrrstand orrr get annoyed or simply stand out because of my strrrong Ilokano accent. Reminiscent of Durkon?

Hmm, I'll save my others for later...

What similarities do you folk have with various characters of the OotSverse?

Tolkien_Freak
2007-07-07, 10:33 AM
V's overuse of large words, just to show off.
V's intelligence.

I can do Durkon's dialect if I want to (though I use a normal General American one the rest of the time).

Elan's abilities to sing and make up music on the spot (though I can't make up words on the spot).

Ronsian
2007-07-07, 10:57 AM
I umm.... sometimes act stupid. Then I annoy people by acting smart:smallwink: .

I also tend to be very verbose in the sense that I truly try to say as much as possible, even if people don't want to listen.

Morty
2007-07-07, 11:17 AM
Well, I tend to get enraged about relatively small things, and I'm permanently angry anyway, which makes me Belkar-like.
I also talk too much when I shouldn't which resembles V.
That's all I can think of now.

Deme
2007-07-07, 11:47 AM
I'm very Elan-like, about half of the time. I can be very simple-minded and very random, I'm fairly naive, and I tend to stick to a few people like glue (like Elan to Roy) I also have a very strong sense of literary tradition, sometimes creating different characters that are definately compolations of different literary concepts. also, I'm bad with common sense and math.

like V, I'm slightly grumpy when people try and assume I'm less smart than I am, and I can talk a lot, and I try to know a lot about everything. except the things that bore me.

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-07, 01:07 PM
Like V, I'm fairly intelligent, and I tend to be rather long-winded, like V, just not to V's extent. Well you see, I suppose it's a combination of...

See? There I go again. :smalltongue:

I love music, song, I can sing and play guitar well, I'm a tad naive, I love theatre, I have a good heart, I seem to have good luck for the most part, and sometimes I get a bit Chaotic. So in those senses I'm much like Elan. I find that I relate to Elan the most when he's going through non-comedy situations.

Actually, I'm a bit like Redcloak in that I have a strong sense of pride, honor, and I care for those who are close to me. However, I'm not a human-hating bastard who revels in destroying paladins, plus whatever is in SoD.

I have a very strong active memory (studying for tests, remembering facts, like the Langseax and it's delay of 19) but a weak passive memory (remembering to grab my watch, my phone, my wallet, remembering to turn off the computer, etc. etc.) so in that way I suppose I'm a Roy/Belkar crossover.

Like Miko, I'm pretty religious (but I don't shove it down other people's throats) and I hate to see the guilty go unpunished (but once again, not to the point of going insane and cleaving people in half).

Like Roy and Hinjo, I tend to be a bit more of a leader than a follower (but I'm fine with either) and I have strong morals.

I'm not much like Haley, Belkar or Durkon. I consider myself a Neutral Good Bard/Paladin (I know, Paladins can't be Neutral Good, don't try to fight the madness.)

AyuVince
2007-07-07, 01:22 PM
I like to annoy people I dislike with unnecessary complicated expressions, such as :vaarsuvius:.

And um... sometimes I can get quite greedy, like :haley:.

The Extinguisher
2007-07-07, 01:26 PM
I make up a lot of witty puns.

Though the witty part may be a bit subjective.

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-07, 01:54 PM
I make up a lot of witty puns.

Though the witty part may be a bit subjective.

Heh, me too.

:roy: "Hey, there's a fork in the road."
:elan: "Better than a spoon or knife in the road! Ha ha!"
:roy: "Elan, your wit has never been equaled. Surpassed, often, but never equaled."

I've been both the :roy: and the :elan:, depending on my mood and the situation.

Here's a variant that I thought would be funny.

:roy: :smallcool: "Guys, there's a fork in the road."
:belkar: :smallmad: "What the hell are you talking about? This road goes straight for miles--OWW!! DAMMIT!"
:roy: :smallannoyed: "Belkar, put some ranks in Spot already! And would it kill you to wear boots? That's the third thing you've impaled your foot on this week!"
:vaarsuvius: :smallannoyed: "Let us not be reminded of the dreaded Porcupine incident..."
:haley: :smallannoyed: "Yeah, no kidding."
:durkon: "Aye, tha poor lad was pullin' quills out o' 'is feet for days."
:elan: :smallsigh: "O Belkar's foot, the fork, the fork came calling..."
:belkar: :smallmad: "Shut the hell up! Forks are sharp, you know! You'd be crying if YOU stepped on one!"

Heh heh. A fork in the road.

TheAlmightyOne
2007-07-07, 02:46 PM
Blonde hair. Blue jacket. Tendancy to forget what im saying in the middle of..hey look something shiney!

Skippy
2007-07-07, 03:04 PM
I'm a bit like Roy, since I tend to point out the others' flaws, with a bit of sarcasm and subtlety...

Firestar27
2007-07-07, 09:47 PM
I'm kinda like Roy, in the fact that most of my humor is circumstancial. I poke fun at the little inconsistancies in what other people say. I'm also kinda Lawful like Roy, but I'm not a fighter in any way. I'm also silly like Elan (when I want to creep around but I don't care if I'm/want to be caught, then I will sneak with my arms spread wide, putting on a show), but it's only funny to me. I also play a stringed instrument like Elan, but I'm smarter than him. By a lot. I also talk a lot like Vaarsuvius. But I'm not in an adventuring party like any of the OOTS.

Skyshot
2007-07-07, 10:40 PM
I was about 17 before I found out most people think four-five syllable words are "big." My brother tells me I speak English like I learned it from books, which I pretty much did. When I was in Honors English classes in high school, we had these vocab books (Sadlier-Oxford, if anyone else uses them). I worked on them only in the time allotted in class, yet consistently remained several units ahead of my classmates and aced the quizzes while everyone else came in and said stuff like, "Oh man, I only studied this for three hours last night, I am going to fail" without a trace of sarcasm.

It took me a while to realize Vaarsuvius has a distinct way of speaking. That's all I'm saying.

Daimbert
2007-07-08, 09:12 AM
Hullo, folks.

I discovered one of these past days that my right shoe is looser than the left, however much I tie or adjust them. Weren't Roy's footwear mismatched in the same manner?

I also sometimes wax on lectures, be they literary, historical or even about quantum mechanics, almost as much as Vaarsuvius.

When I speak, therrre arrre times that people misunderrrstand orrr get annoyed or simply stand out because of my strrrong Ilokano accent. Reminiscent of Durkon?

Hmm, I'll save my others for later...

What similarities do you folk have with various characters of the OotSverse?

My plans often take longer to explain than to execute ...

Rowelyn
2007-07-08, 09:32 AM
V's intelligence

Elans naivity and perform skills(hope its well spelled)

Durkons ability to talk sense into people

More or less Roy's relationship with his father

Haley's cuteness and attraction to shiny stuff

Wolfie_1066
2007-07-08, 09:44 AM
Like elan i can be a little random at times and hyperactive...at times i'll act mature but on some days im really hyper and need to start running around like a chicken with its head cut off i also sometimes lose track of what i was gonna say

Like V if i get into a conversation i keep babbleing and babbleing.

Like Roy i'll make a plan tell other people my plan (more to come on a different part on this) i like to make sarcasic comments at times too.

like Miko i try to sometimes (but not all the time) force other people to do a plan just cause im like that :smallredface: although i try not too i just cant help it

Like D i will say things and people will think its something else (I.E i was playing a guessing game one time one of the hints was "its bigger then a building but smaller then a house" try and guess it if you want)

like B i will sometimes get mad for pretty much no reason and want to either punch something or run off

thats pretty much it for now

NeonRonin
2007-07-08, 01:28 PM
I've had times where I try to explain something or tell a story, and it turns into an overlong rambling description(with plenty of superfluous explanations along the way). So I guess me and V are alike in that way.

Or me and Elan; he did the same sort of thing when giving the Azure City 'pep talk' that went horribly wrong at the end.

V Junior
2007-07-08, 01:42 PM
One of the smartest kids in my class: Vaarsuvius
Getting angry at odd times: Belkar
Money-Addicted: Haley
Musical: Elan
Hating it when people don't respect praying and religion: Miko
Evil Plotter: Nale
Tendancy to ramble on: Vaarsuvius

I have heaps of traits that I could links to OOTS, but I'm not listing them right no- WAIT!

Leader: Hinjo/Shojo/RC/ect.

Firestar27
2007-07-08, 10:03 PM
I'm seeing a lot of "I have V's intelligence" going on here. V has an 18 intelligence. That's the most possible for a human (without any weird templates or additives). Most people don't have 18 intelligence. Remember, 10 isn't the average INT for a commoner back in the middle ages, it is the average INT for a human. Back then, it was pretty low. But now, it is much higher. Therefore, 10 represents a much higher INT. Back then, 18 INT was very smart. Now, 18 INT is like Einstein. So don't go around saying that you have 18 INT like V (because V's player probably decided to have V act like s/he has an 18 INT for today's standards).
Oh, man. Now I'm rambling like V. :smallbiggrin:

Kjata
2007-07-08, 10:54 PM
Uhhh... i have a hatred for law and order, like Belkar. I love beer like Durkon, and, uhh, thats about it.

dan_el_hombre
2007-07-09, 07:45 AM
i think i'm the most like roy, in that i'm sarcastic and relatively intelligent.
i have a brother who is an exact copy of elan's personality (although quite a bit smarter), which drives me insane, so i suppose there's another similarity.

Decoykiarn
2007-07-10, 01:41 PM
Kiarn not like OOTS character. Kiarn likes Ice Cream with Sprinkles and Puppies. Mods not let Kiarn have Puppy yet. Kiarn sad.

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-10, 01:58 PM
Kiarn not like OOTS character. Kiarn likes Ice Cream with Sprinkles and Puppies. Mods not let Kiarn have Puppy yet. Kiarn sad.

Which reminds me! I'm also like Thog in that I have a soft spot for puppies. Seriously, I LOVE puppies.

Deuterium
2007-07-10, 02:03 PM
I'm seeing a lot of "I have V's intelligence" going on here. V has an 18 intelligence. That's the most possible for a human (without any weird templates or additives). Most people don't have 18 intelligence. Remember, 10 isn't the average INT for a commoner back in the middle ages, it is the average INT for a human. Back then, it was pretty low. But now, it is much higher. Therefore, 10 represents a much higher INT. Back then, 18 INT was very smart. Now, 18 INT is like Einstein. So don't go around saying that you have 18 INT like V (because V's player probably decided to have V act like s/he has an 18 INT for today's standards).
Oh, man. Now I'm rambling like V. :smallbiggrin:

Of course most people don't have an 18 Int, but I like to think the populace of these forums are going to be slightly skewed away from most people, eh? :smallwink:

As I recall, Einstein didn't actually have a very high IQ, yet he was able to come up with some quite startling concepts.

Firestar27
2007-07-12, 04:00 PM
Of course most people don't have an 18 Int, but I like to think the populace of these forums are going to be slightly skewed away from most people, eh? :smallwink:

As I recall, Einstein didn't actually have a very high IQ, yet he was able to come up with some quite startling concepts.

But 18 is the smartest you can get from a human. Are you saying that a good percentage of the people on this forum are the smartest possible? This forum acts (and probably is) smarter than most forums, but an 18? That would be incredible.

Also, I heard somewhere that Einstein did have an extremely high IQ, but my sources are not that credible (not to mention that I can't remember where I heard it).

Verick Severith
2007-07-12, 09:21 PM
I share the most in common with Roy, his sarcasm, his short temper, his stressed nature, his inability to cope with those around him, his logical and rational nature, his occassional lack of concern for those he sees as a hinderance.

So I'm pretty much :roy: all the way.

Siwenna
2007-07-13, 02:07 PM
I'm very long winded like V and fairly smart (not 18 INT by any means, but fairly smart.)

Like Haley, I'm pretty good at using deception and trickery when necessary (think Haley here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0008.html).)

I'm also rather evil like Belkar and get mad easily.

By the way, just a note on the intelligence, each INT point is supposed to be equal to about 10 IQ points, hence an INT of 10 is equal to an IQ of 100, which is average. An INT of 15-16 is genius level. Though when rolling dice there is a 1/216 chance of getting an 18 (assuming 3D6 is used as the rolling method,) but in real life the chances are astronomically smaller. WHile I agree that this forum is, over all, above average, I don't think everyone really gets just how smart an 18 INT is.

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-13, 03:04 PM
I'm very long winded like V and fairly smart (not 18 INT by any means, but fairly smart.)

Like Haley, I'm pretty good at using deception and trickery when necessary (think Haley here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0008.html).)

By the way, just a note on the intelligence, each INT point is supposed to be equal to about 10 IQ points, hence an INT of 10 is equal to an IQ of 100, which is average. An INT of 15-16 is genius level. Though when rolling dice there is a 1/216 chance of getting an 18 (assuming 3D6 is used as the rolling method,) but in real life the chances are astronomically smaller. WHile I agree that this forum is, over all, above average, I don't think everyone really gets just how smart an 18 INT is.

Wow, I had never known that... is that your own system, or does it say that in the books and I just missed it?

Siwenna
2007-07-13, 05:07 PM
I don't know if it's in the later editions, but thats what the 1st edition players handbook says. I imagine its approximately the same in the later editions, though I haven't played enough to be sure.

Hell Puppi
2007-07-13, 05:48 PM
I have a friend who is EXACTLY like:elan: Except he sings musicals instead of made-up songs. Very loud. At inappropriate times. I've been trying to get him to read OOTS for a very long time.

I'm like :belkar: in that I believe violence can solve most problems.

BisectedBrioche
2007-07-13, 06:00 PM
I'd say I have the most in common with :roy:. I wear blue and don't get much sleep (because I like the colour blue and I drink too much coffee).

Firestar27
2007-07-17, 04:29 PM

Wow, I had never known that... is that your own system, or does it say that in the books and I just missed it?

I wasn't said in the 3.5 DnD books, but I think it was said in a DnD article on wizards.com. I'm not sure where though.

maitreyi
2007-07-17, 04:52 PM
[QUOTE=Elan's abilities to sing and make up music on the spot (though I can't make up words on the spot).[/QUOTE]

Neither can he.:smallbiggrin:

maitreyi
2007-07-17, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE=mockingbyrd7
Here's a variant that I thought would be funny.

:roy: :smallcool: "Guys, there's a fork in the road."
:belkar: :smallmad: "What the hell are you talking about? This road goes straight for miles--OWW!! DAMMIT!"
:roy: :smallannoyed: "Belkar, put some ranks in Spot already! And would it kill you to wear boots? That's the third thing you've impaled your foot on this week!"
:vaarsuvius: :smallannoyed: "Let us not be reminded of the dreaded Porcupine incident..."
:haley: :smallannoyed: "Yeah, no kidding."
:durkon: "Aye, tha poor lad was pullin' quills out o' 'is feet for days."
:elan: :smallsigh: "O Belkar's foot, the fork, the fork came calling..."
:belkar: :smallmad: "Shut the hell up! Forks are sharp, you know! You'd be crying if YOU stepped on one!"

QUOTE]

Oh, that was funny! Do more, do more!! :belkar: :thog: :haley: :elan:

Rinquist
2007-07-17, 05:23 PM
I gotta say, I relate mostly to Roy, since I too am dark skinned with a bald head, and losing the ol' trouser titan ranks up there in the top 10 things I'm afraid of.

:roy:

I'm da Rogue!
2007-07-17, 05:24 PM
I'm like Haley. In everything I think...
:haley: :haley: :haley: :haley: :haley: :haley: :haley:

Ettlesby
2007-07-17, 07:18 PM
Well, I make up songs on the spot, and they're definitely Elan-quality...

And when I was much younger I was a bit like Vaarsuvius in that people had difficulty telling whether I was a boy or a girl...

Spiky
2007-07-17, 07:28 PM
WHile I agree that this forum is, over all, above average,
I'd have to disagree completely. There are several intellectual types; who act like it, sorry to say. Hardly speaks to their intelligence, really a great indicator of ego, however. The one thing that I have noticed on this forum is a great number of optimists, which is satisfying to most, I imagine. Elan ought to be a popular choice in this thread.

I would have to say almost everyone in this thread is completely missing a key point of their own personalities. And that would be Nale, who likes to discuss his own nature, and has usually inflated it overmuch.

I'm sure you can figure out which character I am most like, with all the 18 int flailing around. I'll give you a hint: My eyes roll around in my head every time I start reading on this forum, because of the preponderance of self-satisfation without thought, like this thread. I'm going to need retinal surgery in a few minutes.

Bocc Kob
2007-07-17, 07:44 PM
I have Belkar's wisdom score. :smallsigh:

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-07-17, 08:56 PM
I'm a lot like Hinjo, actually. Maybe not quite as good or noble, but I try to be...

Curunir
2007-07-18, 12:59 AM
I think I'm a lot like Redcloak and I don't mean the part, when he is killing his minions but rahter his recent development.
Also big part of me is Hinjo.
So... a mix of RC ja Hinju. My personality must be divided.

Twilight Jack
2007-07-18, 12:21 PM
I'd have to disagree completely. There are several intellectual types; who act like it, sorry to say. Hardly speaks to their intelligence, really a great indicator of ego, however. The one thing that I have noticed on this forum is a great number of optimists, which is satisfying to most, I imagine. Elan ought to be a popular choice in this thread.

I would have to say almost everyone in this thread is completely missing a key point of their own personalities. And that would be Nale, who likes to discuss his own nature, and has usually inflated it overmuch.

I'm sure you can figure out which character I am most like, with all the 18 int flailing around. I'll give you a hint: My eyes roll around in my head every time I start reading on this forum, because of the preponderance of self-satisfation without thought, like this thread. I'm going to need retinal surgery in a few minutes.

Well aren't you a sweetie? Keep in mind, if you'd be so forbearing, that many posters on this forum exist in population centers somewhat smaller than major metropolii. If there are only a couple thousand folk existing within your general orbit, then it becomes much easier to end up being the smartest person in any given room. Exist in a world in which you tend to always be the smartest person in the room, and you're going to universalize the personal in pretty short order. It's difficult to recognize that you're just a big fish in a little pond when the pond is all you know.

That said, I identify with Elan more than anyone else. It's the simple joy in life itself that really does it for me.

Although I confess a certain kinship with Roy as well. Ironic, no?

EDIT: In rereading this thread, I find that, "I use big words all the time," is the far more common explanation behind those who associate themselves with Vaarsuvius than, "I am teh supra-GENIUS!!!!1eleven" So the original complaint that way too many people were claiming an 18 intelligence is false on its face. The best you'll find is, "One of the smartest kids in my class." That's hardly a boast of world-shattering intellect.

A body might then wonder which is the greater indicator of an overweening ego, the modest boast of high intelligence and vocabulary, or the need to strike out at such a boast by asserting that the person making it is not smart enough to justify it. Which would of course imply that the person contesting the boast is smarter than the boaster, which is to say smart enough to make a pronouncement on the intelligence of another. After all, "I'm really pretty smart," is not nearly so obnoxious as, "I'm smarter than you."

SurlySeraph
2007-07-18, 12:37 PM
I have to admit that I have a lot in common with Miko. Obsessively moralistic and scolding attitude, occasional narcissism about how I'm unappreciated, a burning desire to assault people who are impious, or too sarcastic, or too cheerful, or who disagree with me, or...

Nonetheless, I have Roy's self-control and about his level of intelligence.

I lecture people like V and am often similarly dour, but that's about all I have in common with him/her.

I like coming up with insidious plots like Nale, but I never try to put them into effect.

commander43
2007-07-18, 12:38 PM
Roy's tendency to be slightly exasperated with his friends at all times, as well as his sarcasm, Nale's Arrogance, V's tendency to blabber on using big words about something that is in reality a very simple concept.