PDA

View Full Version : Superhero Area Regeneration (M&M 3e)

RickAllison
2016-09-01, 11:21 PM
I think this works, but I would like some help from the community to make sure. My person is very equipment-heavy, but she needs to make sure her vehicles and such (the things that actually let her do any damage since her natural powers are limited to being nigh-indestructible!) stay in shape. Thus, I'm looking at giving her the ability to passively fix up her vehicles and weapons while doing her other tasks. Thus, I present what (hopefully) is her legal Grease Monkey ability!

Grease Monkey
Power Effect: Regeneration X
Extras: Attack (+0), Area (+1), Affects Objects (+1), Sustained (+0)
Flaws: Limited to Objects (-1)
Flats: None

So the Attack should make the effect able to use Area, the Affects Objects/Limited to Objects cancel out and let her passively fix up everything around her, and the Sustained modifier I think makes it available for use with Attack. Did I miss anything or otherwise make this illegal?

Beleriphon
2016-09-03, 03:41 PM
Grease Monkey
Power Effect: Regeneration X
Extras: Attack (+0), Area (+1), Affects Objects (+1), Sustained (+0)
Flaws: Limited to Objects (-1)
Flats: None

So the Attack should make the effect able to use Area, the Affects Objects/Limited to Objects cancel out and let her passively fix up everything around her, and the Sustained modifier I think makes it available for use with Attack. Did I miss anything or otherwise make this illegal?

That does work, only thing I might add is selective unless you intend to also fix the killer robots you're fighting as well. BTW, that's a great superhero name.

Sith_Happens
2016-09-03, 09:52 PM
The Attack extra is unnecessary and overcomplicates the power.

The_Snark
2016-09-04, 08:54 AM
The Attack extra is unnecessary and overcomplicates the power.

You need either Attack or Affects Others to get the desired effect. I don't think it particularly matters which one is used.

RickAllison
2016-09-05, 11:20 AM
You need either Attack or Affects Others to get the desired effect. I don't think it particularly matters which one is used.

See, I don't think Affects Others necessarily works by RAW. It seems to just make the ability shared with another person without actually making it non-personal range. The price is still the same, just a weird quirk...

Grod_The_Giant
2016-09-05, 02:27 PM
See, I don't think Affects Others necessarily works by RAW. It seems to just make the ability shared with another person without actually making it non-personal range. The price is still the same, just a weird quirk...
"This extra allows you to give someone else use of a personal effect." You're not extending the range of your Regenerate power to include them, you're granting them a Regenerate power. That's why they have control over it and not you.

Say you have a Teleport power. Attack Teleport is an instant effect, entirely under your control-- you shove the target through a portal and laugh as he winds up a hundred feet in the air. Teleport, Affects Others doesn't immediately teleport the target. Instead, they gain the ability to Teleport for as long as you like, and have to wait until their next turn to teleport out of the burning airplane.

RickAllison
2016-09-05, 02:54 PM
"This extra allows you to give someone else use of a personal effect." You're not extending the range of your Regenerate power to include them, you're granting them a Regenerate power. That's why they have control over it and not you.

Say you have a Teleport power. Attack Teleport is an instant effect, entirely under your control-- you shove the target through a portal and laugh as he winds up a hundred feet in the air. Teleport, Affects Others doesn't immediately teleport the target. Instead, they gain the ability to Teleport for as long as you like, and have to wait until their next turn to teleport out of the burning airplane.

Exactly, so that means that Regeneration, Affects Others, Area doesn't work because Affects Others is just extending a personal effect rather than making it a Close range effect.

Larpus
2016-09-05, 03:19 PM
Exactly, so that means that Regeneration, Affects Others, Area doesn't work because Affects Others is just extending a personal effect rather than making it a Close range effect.
While it doesn't explicitly state that, Affects Others does infer that it makes the personal range effect close range instead:

You must touch the subject as a standard action[...]

Which is pretty dang close to the Attack extra description, sans the attack part.

The effect has close range and requires a standard action and an attack check to touch the subject.

Since the system is pretty lenient as far as bending itself to accommodate weird concepts, I'd say it's a good enough "sure, why not?", but it's a GM call.

Mechanically speaking, there are differences, of course:

Attack mentions specifically that you must make an Attack against the target (can't recall now if there are rules about choosing to lower your defenses to 0 or something) and you are the master of the effect, so you can force someone who doesn't want to be regenerated to regenerate (either someone who is choosing to die or a zombie or something).

Affects Others doesn't require an attack (just a standard action), doesn't seem to be available to be used on unfriendly targets by nature and allows the target to choose whether or not they're gonna benefit from the effect, though if control over the effect is important, maybe you could get it as a Feature with the caveat that you can't force someone if it'd be harmful to that someone (such as a zombie or other undead).

Grod_The_Giant
2016-09-05, 04:54 PM
No, you are granting them a Regeneration power with a range of Personal. You aren't affecting them with a power, you are copying the power from your sheet onto theirs. You actually don't really need Area, unless you want to grant the power to multiple things at once.

RickAllison
2016-09-06, 12:58 AM
No, you are granting them a Regeneration power with a range of Personal. You aren't affecting them with a power, you are copying the power from your sheet onto theirs. You actually don't really need Area, unless you want to grant the power to multiple things at once.

And I do! Already used it when we were in a burning building and I was repairing everything to keep the building stable while others were trying to get people out (kind of felt like Fix-It Felix, Jr.). While the times when all my equipment and vehicles need repair are few and far between, I'll be glad when I can basically get everything fixed in a minute!

Grod_The_Giant
2016-09-06, 01:24 PM
And I do! Already used it when we were in a burning building and I was repairing everything to keep the building stable while others were trying to get people out (kind of felt like Fix-It Felix, Jr.). While the times when all my equipment and vehicles need repair are few and far between, I'll be glad when I can basically get everything fixed in a minute!
Fair enough. It's worth thinking about as a cost-cutting measure, if necessary. (You can empower multiple targets with Affects Others, I believe; you just need one action each).

Larpus
2016-09-06, 02:34 PM
Fair enough. It's worth thinking about as a cost-cutting measure, if necessary. (You can empower multiple targets with Affects Others, I believe; you just need one action each).
It explicitly mentions that you can share the effect with multiple people, though it's unclear whether you need to be touching them all the time or if you can share it with two people at once if you manage to touch them both at the same time.