PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Ghost's possession question.

Arkhios
2016-09-02, 01:02 AM
I came to wonder why is it limited so that a Ghost can only possess a humanoid. Why couldn't it possess, for example, a bear. Or even a skeleton?

Would it break the game if I chose to have a ghost take control of a skeleton (inanimate or not) if it failed to possess a PC?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-09-02, 02:36 AM
I came to wonder why is it limited so that a Ghost can only possess a humanoid. Why couldn't it possess, for example, a bear. Or even a skeleton?

Would it break the game if I chose to have a ghost take control of a skeleton (inanimate or not) if it failed to possess a PC?

It probably wouldn't break the game. I can't second-guess the game designers here, but it's not too hard to come up with justifications for the humanoid restriction.

Such as...
Ghosts are incompatible with non-humanoids, either because they don't know how to control non-humanoid body layouts, or because you can only possess something that has a soul.
Other creature types (like fey, fiends, celestials, elementals and undead) benefit from supernatural protection against possession.
When a ghost possesses a creature, they are limited to using that creature's biological brain for their thinking. Beasts aren't intelligent enough for the ghost to possess.
Some god or other powerful entity decided that this was something that only applied to humanoids.
Ghosts are filled with yearning to experience life as they knew it. Only a humanoid host can provide that.

MrStabby
2016-09-02, 05:25 AM
Maybe a ghost can only possess something similar enough to what it was in life?

A bear could be possessed but by the ghost of another beast, a dragon by a dragon ghost and so on...