PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Using the following stat spread, help me make the absolute perfect druid

Quintessence
2016-09-02, 02:43 AM
Starting level 7

This is for a extremely high power campaign so I need to optimize the hell out of everything, all official WotC stuff is available.

I can also choose 2 rare magic items and 1 uncommon magic item.

So, can you guys help me make the best druid to ever walk into my friend's campaign?

CrazyCrab
2016-09-02, 03:19 AM
I really enjoy threads like this, gives me a chance to come up with builds :smallwink:
Does it have to be a full druid? Or is multiclassing ok? If multi-classing, dies the druid part need to be the majority?
Also, is it druid because you want to wildshape or is a spellcasting druid alright as well?

EDIT: Also, by optimized, do you mean pure combat? Some of the most fun 'optimized' builds rely on stealth, utility...
Also, do you know who else is in the party? An optimized party is better than one character that doesn't fit, even if everyone is perfect.

hymer
2016-09-02, 03:28 AM
Str 8, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 12
Will flight help you out? Then consider the aarakocra or SCAG alternative tiefling for race. Otherwise I'd take wood elf. Hill dwarf is tempting, but the loss of movement can be crucial in a crunch. Variant Human is likewise tempting, but you don't need feats nearly as badly as you may think.
Underdark Land Druid is the best option. Moon druid is right out around now, unless you expect to survive to considerably higher level than 7 (like 18). The bonus action hit point stack and elemental movement modes may well help your survival, but not your spellcasting, which is always your best feature. Moon druid is a slog from around 7 to 10. So moon druid for desperation survival, land druid to keep things from getting desperate in the first place. Whichever you pick, play as a caster first and foremost. Don't be deluded into thinking you're melee.
At 4th, use the ASI to manage stats (getting dex and con even can be worth it, but the obvious choice is bonus to wis, especially if your race gave +1 wis). At 8th you pick up Resilient (Con), which will very soon be very good for you.

Your mainstay is minionmancy. Conjure X is your main contribution in most fights, unless there isn't room to use it. Then you go with BC effects for your Concentration most of the time.

Staff of the Woodlands (rare) will give you more spells per day, and lets you cast Pass without Trace, an excellent spell you'd want to prepare regardless. Consider Necklace of Prayer Beads (rare) for the extra spell access and the bonus action casting.
More on magical items here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?478154-Magical-Items-for-Druids-a-commentary-for-players-and-DMs-of-druids).

Quintessence
2016-09-02, 03:35 AM
I really enjoy threads like this, gives me a chance to come up with builds :smallwink:
Does it have to be a full druid? Or is multiclassing ok? If multi-classing, dies the druid part need to be the majority?
Also, is it druid because you want to wildshape or is a spellcasting druid alright as well?

EDIT: Also, by optimized, do you mean pure combat? Some of the most fun 'optimized' builds rely on stealth, utility...
Also, do you know who else is in the party? An optimized party is better than one character that doesn't fit, even if everyone is perfect.

Mostly combat optimized, he intends to not pull any punches whatsoever. Pure druid is preferred but multiclass isn't out of the equation.

Str 8, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 12
Will flight help you out? Then consider the aarakocra or SCAG alternative tiefling for race. Otherwise I'd take wood elf. Hill dwarf is tempting, but the loss of movement can be crucial in a crunch. Variant Human is likewise tempting, but you don't need feats nearly as badly as you may think.
Underdark Land Druid is the best option. Moon druid is right out around now, unless you expect to survive to considerably higher level than 7 (like 18). The bonus action hit point stack and elemental movement modes may well help your survival, but not your spellcasting, which is always your best feature. Moon druid is a slog from around 7 to 10. So moon druid for desperation survival, land druid to keep things from getting desperate in the first place. Whichever you pick, play as a caster first and foremost. Don't be deluded into thinking you're melee.
At 4th, use the ASI to manage stats (getting dex and con even can be worth it, but the obvious choice is bonus to wis, especially if your race gave +1 wis). At 8th you pick up Resilient (Con), which will very soon be very good for you.

Your mainstay is minionmancy. Conjure X is your main contribution in most fights, unless there isn't room to use it. Then you go with BC effects for your Concentration most of the time.

Staff of the Woodlands (rare) will give you more spells per day, and lets you cast Pass without Trace, an excellent spell you'd want to prepare regardless. Consider Necklace of Prayer Beads (rare) for the extra spell access and the bonus action casting.
More on magical items here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?478154-Magical-Items-for-Druids-a-commentary-for-players-and-DMs-of-druids).

Flight would be useful but he shot me down the instant I proposed it just a second ago :(

Party is currently
Paladin, Rogue, Warlock

MrFahrenheit
2016-09-02, 03:46 AM
Agreed on above stat layouts, but go hill dwarf, circle of moon. After racial adjustments, con and wis start at 17 each, but you can hold off on pumping wis till later levels, as you will not be doing any casting in wild shape till 18th level. What'll be more important is maintaining spells cast pre-wild shape, specifically those summons.
Level 4 ASI: Con resilience feat
8: Con to 20
12: Toughness feat or war caster
16: Alert feat
19: Wis to 20

CrazyCrab
2016-09-02, 05:02 AM
Alright then, so I came up with two builds - one for spellcasting, one for wildshape, each building into the strengths and weaknesses of your party.
Yeah, I got slightly carried away with the multitasking, but with amazing stats like the ones you rolled it's really tempting.

I may have gotten slightly carried away... I generally DM so I have too many build ideas i never get to try out. :smallwink:

1) Wildshape - 'The Terror of the Wilds'

Base Chassis: Druid 5 (Moon) / Paladin 2 //Criminal
You need Druid 6+ as soon as possible, sadly. I think you can survive another level though, hopefully. Then you can grab level 3 of Paladin for some cool Oath stuff, vengeance most likely.

This build works off the idea that with a sneaky Rogue and a cunning warlock you'll be generally the one ambushing things, instead of being the ones that are always ambushed. With a bunch of 'turn 1 burst and nova' characters this kind of party tends to explode everything in a turn or two, so this build contributes to that in a way no normal druid does.

The general premise is that, you can divine smite while wild shaped. This is 100% RAW. This means that you'll be the rouge's perfect sneaky buddy (criminal for proficiency with thieves' tools, so you can take the Help action when he's dealing with a hard lock or a trap), starting off with a pass without trace (concentration), shifting into a spider, mouse or another small critter, accompanying him for the +10 on stealth for both of you, then boom! Surprise round, bite someone as a spider, divine smite off your strongest spell slot. Now this spider has just dealt an insane amount of damage out of nowhere, easily sneaking up on the spell caster or any other squishies. Even more fun when used to assassinate public figures. :smallwink: This also means that you'll rely less on your spell slots and more on using them up for smites, heals while shifted, etc.

This build will do pretty well on the front lines (good to hit and damage with the staff and amazing AC), as once the spider goes down you still have a backup. I'm guessing in a deadly campaign your animal form with its measly AC won't survive all that long.

Stats: STR 14 DEX 16 CON 12 INT 8 WIS 18 CHA 14
Variant Human, Warcaster as your bonus feat.

AC: (Studded Leather / Shield) 19, If you can convince your DM to get you a suit of bone half plate / breastplate (was no problem with my DM) then switch CON and DEX around, getting you a hefty 21 / 20 AC and a ton of extra hit points.

Items: Shield +1 (uncommon), Staff of the Woodlands (Rare), Pearl of Power (Uncommon)

Class Features: Paladin - Defense Style, or Protection since you'll probably be using that shield.

2) Spellcasting - 'The Zoologist'

Base Chassis: Druid 6 (Land) / Wizard 1 // Anything
You'll want Druid 7 next for level 4 spells, then possibly Wizard 2 (Divination) for that awesome ability to force enemies to fail your saves. Nothing better when you're a full spell-caster.

This build is based around the fact that your party has very little utility outside the rogue, which means that you'll be the one that's the most competent when solving problems outside applying violence. The wizard level brings some really important and, almost essential, spells to the table, gives you an extra spell slot when resting and, ultimately, opens up a bunch of interesting options when leveling up - all the spell you should take should be rituals, meaning that you don't even have the prepare them - find familiar is a good one to have prepared if you can't wait. You'll probably want to stay at the back with this guy, just flinging spells left and right and solving puzzles. You're also the party's prime summoner, with a personal army consisting of invisible servants, familiars and animals / elementals.

You'll probably want to open most fights with a 'Conjure Animals' in play, then bombing the area with spells while commanding your pets. Your familiar can use 'help' - it combo'es very well with the rogue. With a ton of rituals in your book and even more spells from your source of power you'll have a massive spell list with a solution for every problem.

You'll get squished if you stand in the front... I recommend using your friends and or summons to take the blows for you.

Stats: STR 8 DEX 16 CON 16 INT 15 WIS 18 CHA 12
Hill Dwarf for the additional hit points. You'll be really tough.

AC: Studded Leather / Shield 17. Not too bad, but not great at lv. 7.

Items: Bag of Tricks (yay, more summons! / Uncommon)), Wand of Magic Missiles (Uncommon), Staff of Healing (Rare)

Class features: All the lands are fine, it really depends on the setting you're playing in to be honest.

Citan
2016-09-02, 11:29 AM
Starting level 7
This is for a extremely high power campaign so I need to optimize the hell out of everything, all official WotC stuff is available.
I can also choose 2 rare magic items and 1 uncommon magic item.
So, can you guys help me make the best druid to ever walk into my friend's campaign?
Hi!
You rolled amazing stats here.
I have very little knowledge on magic items so I'll let others take care of that.

As far as builds go, rather than suggesting full builds, I'd rather throw some wildly shaped ideas, so you can cherry-pick whichever you like. ;)

1. Do you want to spend most time Wild Shaped and stay single-class?
Then put 8 in STR, 12 in DEX, 14 or 15 in CON. Why?
Constitution determines your non-WildSHape concentration and HP, so should be kept good.
Dex will affect your initiative in the (more often than not) cases where fight begins before you could Wild Shape.
STR is irrelevant from start to finish.
As for the other stats, WIS should be the highest then whatever you want.

2. Do you want to stand your ground in & out of Wild Shape as single-class?
STR 8, 14 DEX, 16 CON, 15 WIS, 12 INT, 15 CHA.
Then ask for a Belt of Hill Giant. Tadaaa! ;) You've become a brute.
Gets even better once you pick up Magic Initiate Warlock to grab a weapon cantrip (BB / GFB) along with Hex.

3. Do you care or not about the capstone?
Disclaimer: capstone is arguably the best in the whole game. If you are a Moon Druid and have a decent chance of reaching 20, I'd advise you to stick to the single-class.
With that said, some small dip options.
- Barbarian 3: though choice here, only if you REALLY want to tank. Otherwise dont bother, too many constraints for a spellcaster.
- Cleric 1-2: all domains are great. Especially Life for you.
- Fighter 2: action surge and Fighting Style (Mariner)
- Rogue 2: Expertise (Athletics or Stealth, or both) and Cunning Action.
- Paladin 2: Divine Smite (perfect with a high attack stat for a Land Druid, or a Moon Druid).
- Sorcerer 1. Draconic brings free Mage Armor. For a Land Druid with good DEX, this is a solid AC boost. For a Moon Druid, varies depending on the beasts you fancy. It's also a great way to get weapon cantrips.
- Warlock 2: only if you have high CHA (Eldricht Blast) or really want either the long-range Darkvision or Hex. If you just want AC=13+DEX, Sorcerer is plain better.
- Wizard Diviner 2: Shield spell, weapon cantrips, Magic Missile, and dice swap ability. Always nice for a Land Druid, less so for a Moon Druid.
- Wizard Bladesinger 2: perfect for a Moon Druid, as long as you have at least 16 INT: better AC, movement and concentration saves.

3. Do you care or not about being a fullcaster?
Note that for a Moon Druid, going up to 18 is usually the best choice because you reach CR 6 creatures and you can cast spells as a Wild Shape. With that said, you may find the sacrifice is worth it if you are set on a specific combination.
For a Land Druid, it really depends on how you envision your character: if you want to pump up its sustained fighting abilities by gearing up on martial aspect or buffs, it can be a solid choice.
Let's say you don't care about 9th level spells, nor even 8th...
This opens up good things.

- Barbarian 6 (BearBear or WolfBear or EagleBear): Now we are talking. For a Moon Druid that wants to keep Wild Shape and spellcasting separated, or a Land Druid optimized for martial (see point 2.), it's an excellent choice: 4 rages per day, martial weapons (hello heavies), Extra Attack and totem goodies: you could become a true beast. You can even still wield a Shield and grab Shield Master to Shove as a bonus action.

- Cleric 6: Spirit Guardians and Domain goodies: good for both Land and Moon Druid.

- Lore Bard 6: great for any build because of Expertise, Bardic Inspiration and Magic Secrets (many good spells to pick: Aura of Life just because, Crusader's Mantle, Haste, Slow, etc).

- Battlemaster Fighter 7: only for optimized (Belt of Giant Strength) Land or Moon Druid. Considering that the saving throw DC of Manoeuvers can be based on your Strength, it would be maxed from the get go, making "offensive" manoeuvers much more reliable: Goading, Pushing and Tripping Attack are gold here. You also get all the usual goodies: Fighting Style, Action Surge, Extra Attack and two ASI.

- Monk 6-7: BEWARE: value depends greatly on how DM would rule interaction between Wild Shape and Moon Druid. For the optimized Land Druid, it's another pretty solid choice: movement, constant bonus action attack, Extra Attack, magical attack, Stunning Strike.
Pick Shadow for Darkness fun or Long Death (recommended) to become insanely tanky.

- Paladin 6-7: I think it's obvious why: Extra Attack, Aura of Protection, Aura of Warding (Ancients) or Hunter's Mark+advantage against one enemy (Vengeance) or +CHA to damage (Oathbreaker). And obviously Divine Smite. Great as long as you have high enough CHA to justify (16+).

- Wizard Bladesinger 6: good for any Druid, but much better for a Land Druid: Moon already gets slot burning to heal while Land Druid does not. And Land Druid gets partial slot restoration 1/day.
Other classes could have worked for specific builds, but too much a hassle.
Also, dipping so much is already much more complex. So unless you are familiar with both Druid and desired class, I'd suggest you avoid and keep only 1-2 dips.
For the same reasons, I won't give any ideas of heavier multiclass. ;)

Now for a stupidly Wild Shaped melee geared build just for kicks (beware, heavy multiclassing, you will be a two-third caster of sorts, using mainly buffs and conjuration spells).

Vengeance Paladin 3 / Bladesinger 5 / Moon Druid 12.
Starting stats: 8,12,14,15,15,16
Starting stats, High Elf:
STR 12, DEX 8(+2), CON 14, 15(+1) INT, 16 WIS, 15 CHA
Start as Moon Druid up to 6, then dip Bladesinger 2, then Druid up to 9, then dip Paladin, finish Wizard, finish Druid.
You will rely only on Druid abilities first (including Conjure Animals). Once you get Bladesinger, you can cast Mage Armour if the beast shape you take makes it relevant, then Bladesong, then Wild Shape.
Later, you can cast Haste to makes it even better.
With a +5 base bonus to AC (INT+Haste) it will difficult to harm you.
With +3 and advantage on concentration checks, it will be hard to make you lose concentration on your Haste.
You can use slots mainly for buff pre-Wild Shape or either Divine Smite or heal when Wild Shaped.
You also get a Fighting Style that can help you when out of Wild Shape, but more importantly advantage (CD) on one enemy.
With the Belt of Giant Strength, you will make very heavy attacks as long as you take a relevant beast (check with your DM beforehand to be sure he allows this interaction).
Because you have good mental stats overall, you will not be too wary of nasty spells.
AND, since you will have your main attack already maxed, you can either boost a casting stat to have fun with spells, or take a bootload of feats (Alert, Mobile, Mage Slayer and Resilient: Constitution are all great).

You have now become one of the worst enemies of your enemies. Congrats!

PeteNutButter
2016-09-02, 12:15 PM
With V Human and ASI you can bump wisdom to 20 by level 4.

Go Druid 5/Rogue 2

Stay in the back of the party, cast call lightning, transform into a tiny creature like a snake. On round 2+ slither around blast foes with lightning from the sky, and make cunning action stealth checks to hide the grass.

Alternatively you could just stay hidden, requiring only one stealth check since no part of the call lightning spell gives away your position. You could go full druid then, but expertise in stealth would help. The spell lasts up to 10 minutes, so they could be searching for you long after your whole party died and still be getting zapped... :smallbiggrin:

Quintessence
2016-09-02, 08:00 PM
Thx for all the great feedback!

King539
2016-09-04, 11:11 PM
DEFINITELY choose the Staff of the Woodlands. Per the DMG, spells cast from magic items require no components. One of the Staff's spells is Awaken, circumventing Awaken's main downside, it's 5000 gp material component. You can therefore create an army of loyal Awakened trees within the space of weeks. Just avoid Fireballs.

hymer
2016-09-05, 03:27 AM
DEFINITELY choose the Staff of the Woodlands. Per the DMG, spells cast from magic items require no components. One of the Staff's spells is Awaken, circumventing Awaken's main downside, it's 5000 gp material component. You can therefore create an army of loyal Awakened trees within the space of weeks. Just avoid Fireballs.

I'd say the main downside of Awaken is that purely mechanically speaking, it does next to nothing useful to the caster. Loyal? No, friendly, and you get advantage on social skill checks against them. My next door neighbours on both sides are pretty friendly, but they wouldn't join me on a dangerous expedition out of friendliness, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't persuade them even if I rolled a 20 on my skill check.
If you do raise an army using this scheme, the DM should interpret the spell in such a way in the interests of the game.