PDA

View Full Version : Best magical items for a fighter champion?

Ryuu Hayato
2016-09-02, 03:05 AM
I want reward my players with magic items, and I want to know the best magicals items for a Fighter Champion in the category Rare, Very Rare and Legendary. Thank you guys! :smallwink:

More informations:
Str build, longsword two handed, fighting style defense/gwf, no feats.

RakiReborn
2016-09-02, 03:22 AM
Dont have my books in front of me, so cant comment much.
Flametongue is a sword a fighter can get the most mileage out of everyone, since it makes lots of attacks.
I also think there was an item with a property that activates on either a crit or only a nat20. If it is all crits, that would be a nice one :)
You could Always look up some guides. At least a couple of them have a section about magic items.

NiklasWB
2016-09-02, 03:25 AM
Depends entirely on his build, fighting style(s) and weapon of choice etc. Give us more info.

Ryuu Hayato
2016-09-02, 03:31 AM
Depends entirely on his build, fighting style(s) and weapon of choice etc. Give us more info.

Str build, defense fighting style and GWF, no feats.
He use longsword with two hands

NiklasWB
2016-09-02, 04:01 AM
'Best' is a very subjective term, and seeing as you put the scope somewhere between rare and legendary you will get a lot of suggestions. But I can give you a few examples. The +2 (rare) and +3 (very rare) regular longsword is always nice. Doesn't take up an attunement slot and is always relevant. Same with Plate armor +1 (rare), +2 (very rare) and +3 (legendary). Any Belt of Giant Strength (rare - legendary) is golden for a STR fighter. I personally love items like Dragon Slayer (rare) and Giant Slayer (rare) because they are always 'good', but when their true potential do come up, it is amazing. Flame Tongue (rare) longsword is classic and always good, as is a Frost Brand (very rare) longsword. I also really like Defender (legendary) longsword because it gives you the option to switch between damage/attack and defense.

Those are some ideas. Me, I'm more into creating my own unique items, but the ones in the DMG are fine as well, and I use them from time to time.

JellyPooga
2016-09-02, 06:53 AM
Ring of Spell Storing - Get the party Wizard to cast Mirror Image, Blur and Shield into it every day. Let him get on with being a god/controller while you handle your own buffs.

Horn of Valhalla - What Fighter wouldn't enjoy summoning a horde of beserkers from the celestial realms?

LordVonDerp
2016-09-02, 07:37 AM
Anything that adds extra dice to your attacks.

Specter
2016-09-02, 07:55 AM
Anything that adds extra dice to your attacks.

Yes. In terms of swords, Flame Tongue and Frost Brand should do that very well. And any fighter can enjoy some +2 armor.

NecroDancer
2016-09-02, 08:07 AM
Ring of Spell Storing - Get the party Wizard to cast Mirror Image, Blur and Shield into it every day. Let him get on with being a god/controller while you handle your own buffs.

Horn of Valhalla - What Fighter wouldn't enjoy summoning a horde of beserkers from the celestial realms?

Great ideas, maybe an item that lets him cast invisiblity/dimension door for extra tactics in combat

Vogonjeltz
2016-09-02, 07:58 PM
I want reward my players with magic items, and I want to know the best magicals items for a Fighter Champion in the category Rare, Very Rare and Legendary. Thank you guys!

More informations:
Str build, longsword two handed, fighting style defense/gwf, no feats.

some picks:

Uncommon (I know you asked starting at rare, but some uncommon items are pretty good):
Adamantine Armor - No crits, this is pretty great for Champions with the Survivor feature.

Rare
Flame Tongue

Very Rare
Cloak of Arachnida - Great for mobility.
Frost Brand

Legendary
Armor of Invulnerability
Cloak of Invisibility
Defender
Ioun Stone of Mastery - This has excellent synergy with Remarkable Athlete giving you up to +4 to any of those checks. This is pretty awesome for a Champion.

EvilAnagram
2016-09-02, 10:20 PM
Legendary

Plate Armor of Etherealness - Give him something completely unrelated to his stated purpose that's totally awesome.
Efreeti Chain - If he has a single point of Dex, this is amazeballs.

Very Rare

Helm of Brilliance - A slew of benefits, all of which are awesome and may disappear at any time. Lovely.
Frost Brand - Extra dice are awesome, and the defense is nice, too.
Dwarven Plate - 20 AC and you get to deny your enemies some crud control.
Animated Shield - Solid for someone who wants to two-hand a sword and still have a shield.

Rare

Cloak of Displacement - Solid defense
Boots of Speed - Get to people who need slashing
Flame Tongue - Extra dice are amazing when you attack 3-8 times in a round.
Mantle of Spell Resistance - Excellent defense.
Ring of Free Action - Keep debilitating effects from debilitating you.
Folding Boat - It's a boat! That folds! Come on!

Digression: 2e's Arrow of Sleighing is the greatest magic item ever. And that is not a typo. It shoots a toboggan.

Ryuu Hayato
2016-09-03, 08:17 AM
Thank you guys for the support and replaying! <3 All of you give to me great ideas!

So, one more question: flame tongue or frost brand, which is best?

@EvilAnagram can you post Efreeti Chain's effect to me? I don't found it (no as legendary item).

EvilAnagram
2016-09-03, 09:57 AM
So, one more question: flame tongue or frost brand, which is best?

@EvilAnagram can you post Efreeti Chain's effect to me? I don't found it (no as legendary item).

Flame Tongue is better for offense, Frost Brand for defense.

It's +3 chain mail (17+Dex), wearer is immune to fire damage and has some exploration bonuses.

Ryuu Hayato
2016-09-07, 08:24 PM
Anyone have more ideas? :smallredface:

LaserFace
2016-09-07, 09:47 PM
Just because the Champion may be a simple archetype, it doesn't mean his or her magic items should be simple too. I'm going to avoid suggestions that purely present bonus damage or armor.

Rare

Bag of Beans. 3d4 magical things that include creating Magical Geysers of Beer. The rest of the effects are also pretty amazing.

Cape of the Mountebank. Dimension Door to a badguy behind enemy lines. Action Surge and kill him.

Someone said it, but Folding Boat.

Wings of Flying. Who doesn't like flying?

Very Rare

Bag of Devouring. The bag that eats people. Kill a bad guy and easily dispose of the body. Fun at parties.

I second Cloak of Arachnida.

I also support Helm of Brilliance.

Legendary

Ring of Djinni Summoning. Having a bro who obeys your commands when your party is in a pinch is fun. Doesn't have to be combat, but could be.

Rod of Lordly Might. A magic weapon with some cool alternate functions.