PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Does an enhancement bonus to ability score enable higher level spells to be learned?

Lokiron
2016-09-02, 06:04 AM
I thought I was sure of the answer to this, but I cannot find confirmation.

Does an enhancement bonus to ability score enable higher level spells to be learned?

Eg. Take a wizard of humble intellect. He is born with 13 int, but has now reached level 7 and wants to cast 4th level spells. He cannot do this with his natural int score, but will a Headband of Intellect allow him to do this?

FearlessGnome
2016-09-02, 06:08 AM
He can learn spells just fine without a high Int, he just can't cast them. But yes, an enhancement bonus to Int will let him cast spells he could not otherwise cast.

My bad. He does need a higher Int to learn the spells in the first place. However, qualifying thanks to an Enhancement bonus is still enough. Nothing in the rules say otherwise.

Necroticplague
2016-09-02, 06:28 AM
Yes. An ability score is an ability score, regardless of how you got it.

Lokiron
2016-09-02, 06:50 AM
He can learn spells just fine without a high Int, he just can't cast them. But yes, an enhancement bonus to Int will let him cast spells he could not otherwise cast.

From the SRD:

To learn, prepare, or cast a spell, the wizard must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a wizard’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the wizard’s Intelligence modifier.

Âmesang
2016-09-02, 10:47 AM
So why didn't he add a point to Intelligence at 4th-level? :smalltongue:

Lokiron
2016-09-02, 11:36 AM
So why didn't he add a point to Intelligence at 4th-level? :smalltongue:

He wasn't clever enough.