PDA

View Full Version : Favorite "multiclass" characters

Willie the Duck
2016-09-02, 09:18 AM
So we all know that adages and the conventional wisdom. Stick with one thing, do it well. The prevalence of gish builds on these boards makes clear that people don't care what the conventional wisdom is, they want to play a 'multiclass' character (as in emulating the concept of a multiclass character from previous editions). What are the ones people actually like to play? Any particularly interesting builds and/or character concepts?

Thanks all!

BowStreetRunner
2016-09-02, 10:15 AM
I like multi-class builds that actually make the core concept better. Like the Swift Hunter. With a one-level dip in Ranger, now my Scout can do skirmish damage to Undead, Constructs, Elementals, etc.

Playing a Prestige Class almost always feels like multi-classing, even if you just play a single base class to get into the PrC. But I don't know whether you can consider a Rogue 5/Assassin 10/Dragon Disciple 5 to be a true multi-classed character. The core of the build is Assassin. Rogue is just the entry class. When you run out of Assassin levels Dragon Disciple is there primarily to allow you to keep adding bonus spells.

ComaVision
2016-09-02, 10:52 AM
I can't remember exactly the order but I played a Paladin (of Freedom) 3/Bard 4/Marshal 1/Warblade 2 and he was a lot of fun. Crazy social stats, crazy saves, and a lot of DFI dice for everyone.

GreyBlack
2016-09-03, 09:45 AM
So we all know that adages and the conventional wisdom. Stick with one thing, do it well. The prevalence of gish builds on these boards makes clear that people don't care what the conventional wisdom is, they want to play a 'multiclass' character (as in emulating the concept of a multiclass character from previous editions). What are the ones people actually like to play? Any particularly interesting builds and/or character concepts?

Thanks all!

.... Are we talking 3.5 or Pathfinder? Because that adage only really applies to Pathfinder, whose modus operandi is entirely "Let's find ways to convince people not to multiclass!", while 3.5's entire schtick is "Here's all of the prestige classes. How many can you fit on your character?"

vasilidor
2016-09-03, 12:56 PM
I have always been fond of rogue mage types. in DnD 3.5 this was warlock/rogue or sorcerer/rogue for me. I want to do a gestalt warlock/sorceror:rogue/shadow dancer sometime.

Ramza00
2016-09-03, 01:30 PM
Kalashtar Race

Wizard 1/ Psion 3/Cerebremancer using precocious apprentice to do early entry. Using power link shards starting about level 6 that you craft yourself with craft wondrous item / craft universal item.

Effectively you are a normal psion, but you also can use wizard magic items, and you have wizard spellcasting but it is 3 levels behind than normal. The wizard gives you versatility / spells backup while the psion is your main stick.

Oh do the power link shards allow you to temporarily triple your manifester level a few times per day you can throw out some nasty psionic powers.

Flavor wise I just emulated this character.

http://dumpshare.net/images/710RoyMustangrender.png

Where I used psionic blasting spells for most things, but being able to revert back to spells if I need to. In my character story psionics is my natural calling, but wizard magic is the organized magic of the society which I can do but I am poor at compared to my peers.

A.A.King
2016-09-03, 02:06 PM
I really liked playing my Pressure Point Striker (or as someone else later called it "The Ascetic Ambusher")

Halfling Monk 5 / Rogue 13 / Swordsage 2

Using the Halfling Monk Racial Substitution Levels to get Skirmish +1d6/+1AC to qualify for Ascetic Ambusher should let you count all your Rogue Levels as Scout Levels for Skirmish. In the mean time your Monk levels + Rogue Levels + Ascetic Rogue + Unarmed Swordsage should give you Unarmed Damage of a Level 20 Monk.

The Flavour of it is why I like it though, you are a tiny (well technically small) dude but why hitting the right spot at the right speed you deal DEVESTATING damage (with the potential to Stun). That to me is what a monk should be (all though it takes ot last monk level at level 6). Not about super natural abilities, but about mastering both your body and reading the other person's body (like that Ty Lee girl from Avatar).

Multiclassing isn't about Power, it is about Concept, that your character can do what the concept demands of it.

MirddinEmris
2016-09-03, 02:14 PM
I always liked to play smart and cunning fighters, so Factotum 8/Warblade 12 is my favorite.

True Necromancer (entering as cloistered cleric + wizard) is not so bad for playing master of undead minions, if you use Precocious Apprentice on your wizard side (since PrC requires you to cast specific spell of 2nd level as arcane, this entry should be good even with strict GM)

Bohandas
2016-09-03, 05:19 PM
The last time I played he computer version of Temple Of Elemental Evil I played two wizard/rangers and a rogue/fighter