PDA

View Full Version : Flavor build : Thunder Barbarian

Sirithhyando
2016-09-02, 09:44 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make a build to combine lightning/thunder with a barbarian.
Stats rolled are 18-16-16-15-14-14. It's for a starting level of 5.
It's a goliath. And we have a bonus feat at level 1 (i was thinking to take resilient in dex)
Right now, i had thought of a Wolfbarian 4 / Tempest cleric 1.

I didn't see anything going against using the "Wrath of storm" while raging since this ability isn't a spell.

Does anyone have other ideas? Flavor is more important than optimisation though the adventure got a good challenge so i'll need to be a minimum optimised.
No homebrew. UA, SCAG and EE are accepted.

N810
2016-09-02, 09:59 AM
https://res.cloudinary.com/teepublic/image/private/s--87iVloM7--/t_Preview/b_rgb:191919,c_limit,f_jpg,h_630,q_90,w_630/v1454875216/production/designs/415038_1.jpg
But seriously, what that dice roll you are pretty far above the curve, I think your idea could totally work, just remember concentration spells don't work when you are raging.
pick up thunder wave if you can... for extra flavor.
I wonder if you could do something with runic magic..?

clash
2016-09-02, 09:59 AM
Are you sold on Goliath? Dragonborn would give you a lightning breath attack that isnt a spell 1/short rest. The save is Con based which has good synergy with barbarian.

Sirithhyando
2016-09-02, 10:29 AM
I wonder if you could do something with runic magic..?
Thats a nice idea, though would scribing rune in the air count as a spell in the sense of the rage? I mean, could i still gain the benefits of runes while raging? :smalltongue:

Are you sold on Goliath? Dragonborn would give you a lightning breath attack that isnt a spell 1/short rest. The save is Con based which has good synergy with barbarian.
Yeah, i know dragonborn would go very well with the flavor but i still want to go with the goliath.

gfishfunk
2016-09-02, 10:34 AM
Instead of resilience, I would do magic initiate to grab Thunderwave. You can grab it from the Druid spell list and also pick up Druidcraft for thunder-based fluff and another druid cantrip, maybe shellialiah for empowering your club with the power of thunder. You can alternatively get the spell through Bard or Wizard if you want different cantrips.

clash
2016-09-02, 10:56 AM
You could take Paladin 2 to start smiting and refluff that as lightning. Without re fluffing there isnt much besides Tempest cleric that will work while in rage.

NecroDancer
2016-09-02, 11:41 AM
I suggest you go barbarian 5/cleric 5 to get your extra attack and be able to cast "call lightning". Start combat with call lightning when the spell ends go into a rage because you have been "cut off" from your god's power and start killing

Biggstick
2016-09-02, 11:52 AM
If the DM is generous, ask for your rage damage bonus to be thunder or lightning instead of physical damage. It isn't much, but it allows you to be putting that damage type on an enemy any time you're raging.

djreynolds
2016-09-03, 02:25 AM
You could take Paladin 2 to start smiting and refluff that as lightning. Without re fluffing there isnt much besides Tempest cleric that will work while in rage.

I like this. You could begin the battle with a thundering smite and then rage after. Could be cool.

Have a javelin or spear, I think you can smite with thrown weapons, AFB. I'm not sure. But very Zeus.

Yabvi
2016-09-03, 04:15 AM
What about a barbarian with multiclass in sorcery, specifically storm sorcery? Not sure if it would work well since I'm not all that smart on multiclassing but it would be an interesting class dynamic.