PDA

View Full Version : What monster to find in a pile of Giant's poop?

TentacleSurpris
2016-09-02, 12:31 PM
My three players are level 9 and because our group has dwindled to only 3 players, each has an NPC as well.

The players will be scaling the wall of a Giant's fortress to enter through the privy-hole, as a giant-sized privy hole can fit a medium sized creature, by my calculation. Below the hole on the ground is a small mountain of waste. What level appropriate creatures should be crawling around in it?

I own the Monster Manual, 5th Edition Foes, and Tome of Beasts, but can't find anything that's just right.

Suggestions?

Darksidebro
2016-09-02, 12:36 PM
My three players are level 9 and because our group has dwindled to only 3 players, each has an NPC as well.

The players will be scaling the wall of a Giant's fortress to enter through the privy-hole, as a giant-sized privy hole can fit a medium sized creature, by my calculation. Below the hole on the ground is a small mountain of waste. What level appropriate creatures should be crawling around in it?

I own the Monster Manual, 5th Edition Foes, and Tome of Beasts, but can't find anything that's just right.

Suggestions?

Man do I have the monster for you!
Otyugh. It's a literal trash compactor that often lives in monster feces. It consumes waste and leaves areas cleaner.
Even cities like Waterdeep keep them in their sewers purposefully.

They act like the trash compactor monster from Star Wars, even have a tentacle with their eyes on it that they stick out of the sludge.

Otyughs are also mildly intelligent and have their own language. So you could play them intelligently.

You can find them in the monster manual. I believe they're CR 3 or 4.

Gastronomie
2016-09-02, 12:43 PM
Damn, ninja'd about the Otyugh.

What about a pair of Otyughs? A female and a male. The female has babies on her back, and being in mating season she's especially aggressive (give her the Reckless Attack ability - she has advantage on all attacks but also gives advantage to attacks against her).

What the adventurers do with the babies after they slay their parents (if they do slay their parents) is completely up to them, but I think the players will enjoy that sort of unexpected decision-making.

Sigreid
2016-09-02, 12:50 PM
Carrion Crawlers and Shambling Mounds could also be a good fit.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-09-02, 12:57 PM
Some alternatives:

If the giant is a wizardly type, they might have bound some mephits to their service; it might be an interesting an offbeat encounter to have some mud mephits in the refuse heap. It'd have to be a social encounter, given the levels, but again, a nice change of pace during an infiltration mission. A couple of black puddings could also be used as a disposal device, potentially.

VariSami
2016-09-02, 01:20 PM
What the adventurers do with the babies after they slay their parents (if they do slay their parents) is completely up to them, but I think the players will enjoy that sort of unexpected decision-making.

This, this is what one is obliged to do with the baby Otyughs: http://babybestiary.com/#book

I am pretty sure I saw a picture with said species on Kickstarter for the second book.

On a more serious note, besides Otyughs, one can use re-skinned Chasmes, Dretches, and Manes as different forms of probably insectile monstrosities derived from flies and their larvae. 'Soft' variety of Earth Elementals (and Mud Mephits), possibly. Different fungi such as violet fungi and (corrupted) Myconids (particularly Yeestabrot from OotA), re-fluffed ghouls and ghasts, oozes (Ochre Jelly in particular, I suppose), or giant insects (centipedes, fire beetles. etc., possibly refluffed as cockroaches). One easy way to adapt to this environment is, I suppose, adding a disease (filth fever) rider to attacks (cannot remember the exact way this would be done in this edition).

And goblins. Because of an old webcomic called Trigger Star.

Shaofoo
2016-09-02, 01:40 PM
What kind of monster would best represent you!?

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-09-02, 02:26 PM
Excrement Elves
Dung Dwarves
Poop Halflings
Grunt Gnomes
The list is endless.

gfishfunk
2016-09-02, 02:37 PM
Giant Crabs.

Also, once they get up the privy they will find a giant-sized jar of ointment.

Falcon X
2016-09-02, 02:38 PM
A Flumph (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1f/Flumph.JPG), obviously.

It should have some odd explanation like trying to cure the giant's bowel disease or finding the traces of psychic energy their excrement contains.

NecroDancer
2016-09-02, 03:48 PM
A revnant of an adventurer that was eaten by the giant

Temperjoke
2016-09-02, 04:42 PM
A revnant of an adventurer that was eaten by the giant

Skeletons and the vengeful ghost who are forced to stay with their remains, but unable to properly control them.

Axorfett12
2016-09-02, 07:29 PM
I am obliged to mention the gnome Mr. Cleene, a shining smiled fellow on a quest to destroy the fecal orcs of Sourman. Armed with his trusty broom Poohbane and his bucket of endless soapy water, he shall surely prevail.

Klorox
2016-09-02, 10:09 PM
Maybe have dire flies on top of it.

Inevitability
2016-09-03, 06:03 AM
Purple Tape Worms? Dung Demons? Poolar bears? Brown Slaadi?

Hopeless
2016-09-03, 06:06 AM
Anyone trying to escape via the Giant's lavatory?

Spore
2016-09-03, 04:41 PM
This oddly reminds me of the World of Warcraft quest where you bring valuable crystals to greedy goblins. Only for it to be revealed later that those are just mountain giant droppings.

Pikkle
2016-09-03, 06:12 PM
Are there any stats for a Golgothan?

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/villains/images/8/8c/The_Excremental.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130322184832

MasterMercury
2016-09-03, 07:44 PM
A crap golem. Like a clay golem, but made of poo.

Gastronomie
2016-09-03, 09:24 PM
Are there any stats for a Golgothan?

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/villains/images/8/8c/The_Excremental.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130322184832You could re-fluff the Hezrou.

Sir cryosin
2016-09-03, 09:48 PM
This oddly reminds me of the World of Warcraft quest where you bring valuable crystals to greedy goblins. Only for it to be revealed later that those are just mountain giant droppings.

That sounds like a runescape winter event were your sent to get magical stones from a yeti. At the end a group of snow imps show up laughing there bits off saying it yeti poop lol.

Sir cryosin
2016-09-03, 09:53 PM
Maybe a oozes or a gelatinous cube. It would be funny if skeletons of would be Adventures just pop up and started swinging Poo doing 1d6 damage. Then pc take 1d4 reputation damge to Pride.

JakOfAllTirades
2016-09-04, 02:23 AM
Sorry, but I haven't got a stat block for giant-sized E. Coli.

MrStabby
2016-09-04, 07:11 AM
Maybe a gibbering mouther being refluffed to be made of Excrement?

A huge gibbering pile of poop seeking to assimilate adventurers would be quite fun.

VariSami
2016-09-04, 12:54 PM
Maybe a gibbering mouther being refluffed to be made of Excrement?

A huge gibbering pile of poop seeking to assimilate adventurers would be quite fun.

Hmmm... I was thinking of this guy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dozzvHRCD9M) earlier but the gibbering would also fit. :D Possibly advanced by at least one size category as well.