PDA

View Full Version : DM Help making an abyssal helllion a la David Dalglish

Ketiara
2016-09-02, 02:37 PM
Hi all
Im reading David Dalglish books and on two occasions so far ive come across a summoned beast, size of a horse looking like a lion, insanely fast, hide as stone, able to breathe fire. Its summoned with a human sacrifice to Karak.

Im planning on summoning a pack of these to a group of lvl 19-20 chars. And I want them to be sort of a challenge or at least drain them of some resources.

I was thinking about mixing the Rakshasa (without innate spellcasting), with hellhound (packtactics and firebreath), and perhaps some kind of golem traits.

Any of you guys have ideas what to pick, and how to rate one, let alone 6 of these against 5lvl 19-20 chars?

MrStabby
2016-09-02, 02:44 PM
Well that depends:

Do they have only short range attacks and cant fly? If so then it should be pretty simple - a fly spell can put the party out of reach.

Do they have access to dispel magic or would casting a wall spell be the end of an encounter?

Are they extraplanar? i.e. could a single banish spell remove 3 of them?

And so on.

Of all of these issues, mobility is probably the big one. If you can make sure they can reach the players then you are probably ok.

Ketiara
2016-09-02, 03:47 PM
Well that depends:

Do they have only short range attacks and cant fly? If so then it should be pretty simple - a fly spell can put the party out of reach.

Do they have access to dispel magic or would casting a wall spell be the end of an encounter?

Are they extraplanar? i.e. could a single banish spell remove 3 of them?

And so on.

Of all of these issues, mobility is probably the big one. If you can make sure they can reach the players then you are probably ok.

when summoned they will be in an area of banish resistance... but anyone feeling like statting out these beasts, and providing them with a CR?