PDA

View Full Version : Help with a new spell.

Reaper34
2016-09-02, 04:04 PM
my group is about to start a sneak and slash adventure. strike team behind enemy lines d&d style. to help with hiding bodies i have an idea for a new spell. dm may or may not ok but it never hurts to check.

flesh to ash (transmutation)
cast time: 1 action
Range: touch
components: v,s,m (bit of chared bone)
duration: 3 rounds
when cast on a dead, non-animated body or flesh (sides of beef, body parts, ect. not by products such as stable scrapings or hay) the body desintergrates into ash over the next 3 rounds.

i'm thinking lvl 1 spell but i'd like some input. it's not a offensive spell. doesn't cause damage evein if the body is ontop of a living creature. originally created for cremation, it's often used to "hide" bodies when being sneaky.

edit: Yes i would like it to be a cantrip but that might make it a bit too strong.

Reaper34
2016-09-02, 04:30 PM
Another idea i've kicked around is spell x lure. when cast on a creature/object any caster that casts spell x must make a check or spell x is retargeted to the creature/object the lure was cast on.

example fireball lure is cast of goblin chief. shaman casts fireball at party fails check fireball swerves and hits chief.

thinking the lure would be the same lvl as spell x.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-09-02, 05:17 PM
Yes i would like it to be a cantrip but that might make it a bit too strong.

I think it would have to be level 1. Not only can it be used for significant plot things (hiding bodies), but it also prevents anyone using Revivify, Raise Dead, Animate Dead or Speak with Dead. It might even be worth 2nd level.

I would use the specific phrase "a pile of bones or a corpse of a Medium or Small humanoid" from Animate Dead, for clarity. I'd change the duration to 1 round, because there's no reason not to use a standard duration.

And you spelled 'charred' and 'disintegrates' wrong (I assume 'even' and 'on top' are typos).

thinking the lure would be the same lvl as spell x.

Yes. I'd probably start it at 3 though, like Glyph of Warding and Counterspell, which occupy the same conceptual space.

If I were naming it, I'd call it Spell Attraction, but clearly that's a matter of personal taste.

Reaper34
2016-09-02, 06:58 PM
I think it would have to be level 1. Not only can it be used for significant plot things (hiding bodies), but it also prevents anyone using Revivify, Raise Dead, Animate Dead or Speak with Dead. It might even be worth 2nd level.

I would use the specific phrase "a pile of bones or a corpse of a Medium or Small humanoid" from Animate Dead, for clarity. I'd change the duration to 1 round, because there's no reason not to use a standard duration.

And you spelled 'charred' and 'disintegrates' wrong (I assume 'even' and 'on top' are typos).

Yes. I'd probably start it at 3 though, like Glyph of Warding and Counterspell, which occupy the same conceptual space.

If I were naming it, I'd call it Spell Attraction, but clearly that's a matter of personal taste.

Hadn't considered the other uses. so 2ed it is. the reason i worded it the way i did is one use is to destroy supplies of an army, ie. large amounts of cured meat or any animal remains, not just a corpse in some state of decay.

moving on. 3rd sounds about right for the level. more specific than counterspell but can be used offensively. have to work on it a bit more to bin down the details.

and my typing is just bad. disintegrates was my bad spelling, the others were typos. it's what happens when someone that can barely hunt and peck tries to type.