PDA

View Full Version : Wings of cover in a Magic Item

flappeercraft
2016-09-02, 10:38 PM
So I have 2 questions. 1. If I make a magic Item that can use the effect of Wings of Cover would activating it be a standard action or an immediate action? 2. If its an immediate action how do I make it a immediate action? My character is a wizard not a sorcerer if it helps

Troacctid
2016-09-02, 10:39 PM
Activating a magic item is a standard action unless the item description indicates otherwise. However, the casting time of a spell is the time required to activate the same power in an item, regardless of the type of magic item, unless the item description specifically states otherwise.
It is an immediate action.

flappeercraft
2016-09-02, 10:41 PM
It is an immediate action.

Ok ty for the info. Neither me or my DM could find if it was immediate or standard

AnachroNinja
2016-09-02, 11:06 PM
This is probably one of those cases where standard magic item pricing might be a bit off. Wings of cover is a pretty powerful effect. The normal formula would allow a unlimited use activated item of it to be pretty cheap. Just something to think about.

ragevillain
2016-09-02, 11:08 PM
You need use magic device.

almondsAndRain
2016-09-02, 11:24 PM
You need use magic device.

Not all magic items require that skill to be used. Assuming that flappeercraft doesn't end up with a scroll or wand of Wings of Cover, they only reason they would have to use Use Magic Device is if they didn't know how to activate the item.

ragevillain
2016-09-02, 11:30 PM
UMD:
Use a Wand
Normally, to use a wand, you must have the wand’s spell on your class spell list. This use of the skill allows you to use a wand as if you had a particular spell on your class spell list. This use of the skill also applies to other spell trigger magic items, such as staffs.

You dont know how active the wand or scroll, its Sorcerer Only spell, right?

almondsAndRain
2016-09-02, 11:37 PM
UMD:
Use a Wand
Normally, to use a wand, you must have the wand’s spell on your class spell list. This use of the skill allows you to use a wand as if you had a particular spell on your class spell list. This use of the skill also applies to other spell trigger magic items, such as staffs.

You dont know how active the wand or scroll, its Sorcerer Only spell, right?

I know that it is a Sorcerer-only spell. That is not relevant if the item is not a scroll or a wand.

ragevillain
2016-09-02, 11:43 PM
Only wands can be immediact action.

NylonIntruder
2016-09-03, 12:15 AM
Only wands can be immediact action.

I don't think that is correct.

Sliver
2016-09-03, 02:05 AM
That is, indeed, incorrect. From the rules compendium, activating command word, mental, spell completion, or spell trigger items requires the same action as casting the spell does. AFAIK, only manipulation (potions and oils, for example), use activated and continuously functioning items have different activation actions than the spells they emulate.