PDA

View Full Version : The Devil's in the details (So I hope you read the fine print)

Pages : [1] 2

dantiesilva
2016-09-02, 11:37 PM
All day long the steady thump of axes meeting trees had built a steady rhythm for you all to work to. The hot morning sun was mostly hidden within the treetop canopy above. However what light seemed to seep through always seemed to paint everything in a beautiful shade of green. The gentle breeze roaming through the woods, almost as if it were alive and dancing upon your flesh as the beads of sweat ran down your arms from swinging your axes all day.

It had been like this for years for the two of you, ever since the day your clan had exiled you for something you had no control over. At first it was hard, trying to adjust to life without the clan, where up in the Titanfoot mountain range the clan had always looked out for one another. Now it was just you and your adopted brother trying to survive in the wilderness alone. Had it been a purely physical challenge it would have been easy for the two of you, both prime examples of what your people could be if they pushed themselves. However the task before you was also mental, each night having to find shelter with only each other to keep watch the entire night made it difficult for the two of you at such a young age.
Thankfully you had both heard tales of a village below the mountains in which the people seemed to cut down the trees so that they could make homes and other such things from the trees. If the small people below could cut down a mighty tree for money, surely it would be easy for the two of you to do just as much work as the adults, if not more given your strength. And how right you both were, almost immediately the villagers welcomed you once you made your intentions clear. Bathelmous, the owner of the Spiteful Dryad inn was more than willing to allow the two of you rent a room, with your word you would pay him back once you earned your first bit of income.

Now however neither one of you were boys using borrowed tools, but grown adults who had made a simple living in the village you had come to call home. Sure the people were odd and had strange customs, but they were always friendly towards you. And most importantly they had introduced you to the finest thing in life, the tap at the Spiteful Dryad.

“Alright boys, lets finish up for the day, its going to be getting dark soon and unless you want Thanakali leading the way back home in the dark you better put some spring into those swings.” Came the half hearted call from Logan, the man who ran the small little job you were all doing. It was said, mostly by Logan, that his great grandfather was one of the first settlers of these woods, and when they arrived they found the dwarves outside their mines cutting down the trees to fuel their forges. His great grandfather brokered the deal that still stood to this day, the village sent wood into the dwarven mine, and the dwarves sent out worked products of stone and metal the villagers could use.

Over the years the two communities began to trade more openly, growing almost symbiotically off of one another. The dwarves who had first made the deal trusting the children that they had seen grow up in the village to not break the agreement. It was this agreement that has kept the two communities at peace for years now, to the point a few of the dwarven families had even settled back inside the village, taking up positions as blacksmiths as it was one of the things that helped them keep connected to their ancestors.

And so the two of you finish cutting down the trees you had been working on, before helping the rest of the lumberjacks bring their own hauls to the wagon so that the haul of the day could be processed and sold the following morning by Logan’s two sons. It was quick easy work in comparison to cutting down the big strong trees, and it was soon over as the two of you jump in the wagon with the rest of the lumberjacks and your haul, to ride back to town for a well-earned meal with the two most unlikely of friends you could have.

When one asked who was the most knowledgeable people in the town it was a common joke that the villagers would ask if you wanted knowledge or wisdom. That was because of the two young men Jonas and his friend Hadrian. While the two knew more than most of the elders of the village on topics of the extraordinary type, when it came to simple farming and such which the town thrived on they were not the two you would go to ask for help.

They could tell you how to do it, do not get me wrong, they knew why the sky was blue and the sun was hot. Just putting it into words the common person would understand was a bit hard for them. Jonas was not from the village, and had come only during his teenage years to be a resident of the small little village. While Hadrian had left the village at a young age to study the values of enlighntment instead of being stuck a simple farmer or lumberjack his entire life.

The two became quick friends and would share many a common debate at the Spiteful Dryad much to the other patrons complaints at times. As the two would begin to use their powers to demonstrate what they were trying to say. Because of one such incident the two had even been told by the old barkeep to take their experiments elsewhere, debating was all fine and good, after all bar fights were common among drunks. But when the fire in the fireplace began dancing as did the chairs old Bathelmous drew the line.

It was during one of these experiments the two were having about the healing properties of a particular herb one day that grew near the banks of the Chian river that the two friendly souls found themselves lost. Having used most of their magic to find the herb and keep predators away the two soon became lost in the forested area that surrounded the village for a few miles.

Deciding it best to follow the river until they reached a road the two recognized the two soon found themselves coming face to face with a wild brown bear. As if being lost had not been enough, the two friends ran as fast as their legs would carry them screaming for help all the while as the monsterous bear slowly gained ground on the two of them. No doubt sometime soon it would be on them, and they would be food.

However out of the woods infront of them two large men wielding axes ran past them, charging the bear. “ Keep going you will find safety up ahead.” The one, clearly human called back to them, a big grin seeming to appear on his face as he looked across to the man that looked like a mountain given legs running besides him. Jonas and Hadrian found the safety they were told of in a group of lumberjacks armed with axes all standing around a wagon.

A few minutes later the two men returned bloody, and grinning from ear to ear as one of them tossed a bears claw on the ground infront of everyone. Later on that day in the safety of the Spiteful Dryad you learned that the two were brothers that had moved to the village when they were young, they had simply kept mostly to themselves.

Promising after that to meet each other each day at the spiteful Dryad to discuss the matters of the day the four quickly became friends. And so it was this day as the two scholars sat at their usual table in the Spiteful Dryad discussing the differences and similarties in their powers, making sure not to use them while inside.

gallagher
2016-09-03, 09:20 AM
Hurry up then! Abben exclaimed to the others working the job. Abben had taken the second thickest tree, letting Madclaw handle the biggest one as always. Abben looked at the progress that he had made, and he know that one great chop would finish it off if he used his divine power. Taking a deep breath was all it took, and for a short moment the strength of the wild screamed into his lungs. Abben exhaled as he swung his ax into the tree and it crashed to the ground like a giant. Used my Strength Domain granted power for the day

Abben got his tree to the wagon and, wiping the sweat from his brow, turns to his brother and says with a wry grin About time for a drink? Abben looked forward to another interesting night in the Spiteful Dryad, or at least several bowls of hot food cooled by cold ale with his back to a fire. The two had made a pair of new friends just recently, and he was quite interested in their brands of magic.

esorscher
2016-09-03, 09:36 AM
Every morning Madclaw woke up feeling empty inside, like a piece of him had been stolen, and it had been long since he figured out the reason. He missed his home. He knew that, but that knowledge did not ease the pain.

Friendship helped, and Abben's most of all. The man was as a brother to him, the only connection to his past remaining, and theirs was a bond that Madclaw prized. He was easy to talk to, and as they ride to town, Madclaw says to Abben, "Why do you think they call me Thanakali instead of Madclaw?"

gallagher
2016-09-03, 10:23 AM
Abben shrugs his shoulders at his half brother, shaking his head. Maybe it makes them feel interesting, that they have a goliath friend? I bet they walk up to women at the bar, using their connection to you to try and appear impressive. Abben changes his voice to sound deeper, as if an older male, before acting loud enough that the other lumberjacks would hear his playful satire. Hello, fair maidens... I was working with my friend Thanakali the other day... He's a goliath, by the way, they have me working with this giant of a guy. Can you believe how strong I am?

esorscher
2016-09-03, 10:50 AM
Madclaw's usually expressionless face breaks up in obvious mirth as he lets loose with what sounds like what the mountains would sound like if they could laugh. His laughter subsides after a moment or two, and he resumes his usual composure. "You are a funny man, my friend."

ilinares
2016-09-03, 04:16 PM
Colours aren't working for me right now, but I'll be making text dark blue when I can.

"...And so we must conclude that summoning an Outsider has substantial advantages over merely shaping ectoplasm into a construct with similar traits, would you not say?"

Jonas Clearbrook, apprentice wizard, leaned back in his chair and waited to see how his deliberately provocative argument would go down with Hadrian. A short, slender man just into his twenties, Jonas has a handsome, strong face with a faint, rugged shadow of stubble, engaging blue eyes, prominent cheek- and jawbones, and shoulder-length brown hair tied back in a pony-tail. Rather than the traditional robes of a wizard, he wears a black tunic and matching trousers, with lines of arcane symbols embroidered in white thread at the cuffs and collar. The leather-bound spellbook at his left hip, however, and the pouch of spell components at his right, leave no doubt as to his calling.

While his friend formulates a response, Jonas signals to the barkeep. "The same again, my good man, if you please," handing a couple of small coins over with a smile.

Timble
2016-09-03, 06:41 PM
"Well I think we can both admit that both ways have different advantages," Hadrian replied. Jonas often tried to become provocative when drunk but Hadrian was use to it. He hadn't listened to the entire argument. Jonas was just looking for a chance to show off. Hadrian finished of his water and asked for another. While waiting for his drink and for Jonas's reply, he closed his eyes to meditate. He pulled his ceremonial bell out from his robes and softly rang it, it's tiny sounds helping him focus.

Psionic Focus: [roll0]
DC20

dantiesilva
2016-09-04, 12:07 PM
It doesn’t take long for the other lumberjacks to start calling back out as Abben told them to hurry up. “Not all of us are half orge you know.” One of the others called back jokingly from the tree he and his partner were working on which got everyone else laughing along with them as the steady thump of axes was momentarily silenced by the groups laughter.

However as you took one last swing at the tree you were working on, and watched with a satisfied grin upon your face as it feel to the ground everyone stopped laughing and went back to work. They had seen the strength of the two brothers before, and each time they were always caught by surprise when the two pulled of a task no other man could do by their self, just like Abben was lifting the tree he had cut down to the wagon to be loaded up.

One of the younger workers your age that was riding along the carriage with you smiles at the impersonation. “It sounds more like this, Hey you wouldn’t imagine if I told you, but see that big guy over there in the corner drinking with the other three. I beat him in an arm wrestling match once while we were at work.” He says which gets the rest of the group slapping their legs and laughing. “Of course none of them believe us, all the locals know full and well who the real muscles is behind our business. But the women just passing through, they believe anything you tell them.” Comes one of the other voices, perhaps Brandon’s, from the other side of the cart.

And so the ride goes on, the group joking around with each other as they ride back to town on the back of the wagon with the lumber. The bumps in the rough trail causing more than one person to complain about getting a piece of wood being jabbed where it shouldn’t

Taking the coins from you the bar keeper, Bathelmous, simply looked at the two of you for a moment. “ Don’t forget to be keeping this discussion just a discussion. You two go summoning anything into the Spiteful Dryad and you will see how the lady got her name.” he said to the two of you, in a friendly but serious tone. It wasn’t that this town was afraid of magic, they simply believed their was a time and place for everything. And when magic could be used to bring food and water to partons without them having to pay for it there was a reason it was not allowed in the bar. Especially after the incident.

That’s when the sound of Hadrian’s bell rang out softly, though loud enough for both you and Bathelmous to hear as the barkeep and owner of the spiteful Dryad looked around as if expecting something to happen. Seeing no signs of magic he left to go get your usual drink. It was a little after midday now, and most people were getting off of their jobs the two of you noted as the Spiteful Dryad began to get a bit louder and a blonde woman began getting the stage in the corner ready, setting up a harp of some sort on the stage as she tested the strings.

The Party

A few moments later Abben and his brother Madclaw walk into the bar, heading to the table Jonas and Hadrian were sitting at. Getting a few odd looks from some of the traders that had come in this morning seeing the unlikely friends sitting together.” Fternoon boys, will you be gettin your usual today?” Bathelmous asked, placing a pitcher of water down on the table for the two brothers to quickly drink as they waited for their normal stuff, and placing a mug filled with a sweet smelling ale in front of Jonas.

The rest of the logging company began to spread out around the Spiteful Dryad, most of them taking seats close to the stage as they all began whistling at the nights entertainment. “Where did you find this one?” Called one of the older loggers to Bathelmous as he pointed to the blonde woman on stage plucking a few cords on her harp trying to make sure it was tuned it seemed.

“You leave the lass alone or you will be cut off before you even start drinking.” The barkeep said in reply which got a quick complaint about only playing around from the logger in protest. Soon however the matter was resolved as the woman began to play the harp, her green eyes focusing upon the strings of her instrument as her slender long fingers began to play a soft haunting melody (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-9V92Pz81E).

The music seemed to make everyone in the inn go silent as they all listened to the mysterious woman playing the harp, as if they had never heard anything so beautiful before in their lives. Some even had their eyes closed, as if they were seeing something no one else could within the music. All to soon however the song was over, and the tavern returned to normal as the woman took a moment to relax her fingers it seemed. "And that's why no one is allowed near the girl." Bathelmous says coming up behind you all with two plates of food for the barbarian brothers.

esorscher
2016-09-04, 12:27 PM
The goliath is moved to tears by the haunting melody, and wipes his eyes before the water begins to trickle down his stony face. But once the scene returns to normal, and food is placed before him, Madclaw returns to his normal patterns of behavior, eager to devour the food regardless of its culinary value. But, he gives voice to a pressing curiosity first, asking, "Where did you find her?" Then he begins eating, washing down bite after enormous bite with equally massive gulps of ale.

ilinares
2016-09-04, 02:09 PM
Jonas sits stunned, the woman's music washing over him and carrying him to a place far distant from the humdrum village life he has been forced to accept. As it finishes, he feels himself drawn to the singer, desperate to make her acquaintance. With a glance at the barkeep to see how far he would be allowed to go, he rises, trying to catch the girl's eye, applauding and giving her his most charming smile.

I'm guessing a Diplomacy check to influence her attitude? [roll0]

Once he has her attention (if he gets it), he turns to Bathelmous.

"A glass of wine for the lady," he requests, "when she is ready for it, of course."

He returns to his seat, content to leave matters in the girl's hands now, and intrigued to hear the answer to Madclaw's question.

gallagher
2016-09-04, 02:21 PM
Where did you find her? His brother asked, breaking the spell the woman held over the entire tavern. And where do you find another of her? Preferably one that I dont have to leave alone! Abben adds in. He pulls out his coinpurse and turning to the waitress. Mug of ale, and something hot to eat?

dantiesilva
2016-09-04, 04:27 PM
“I didn’t find her lad, she came to the village with a few other women. Said they wanted a place to stay and set up shop. Only odd thing was I didn’t see any men with them.” Bathelmous says scratching his chin which was hidden somewhere under his beard. “All those women and not a single male among them, I tell you it’s not natural, but with a purse full of gold I tend not to ask to many questions.” He says to all of you.

“I don’t know where you would find another like her, though if the others she travels with can perform half as good as she did I would have to say the small amount of pain I am going to go through each night stopping people from running up on stage will be worth the money I make.” Old Bathelmous admits to the lot of you, nodding his head as Jonas asks him to get the lady a glass of wine. “For some reason I think the lady is going to have a bottle by the time I am done with the orders like that.” He says.

And it’s true, as you look around you notice a few of the tavern wenches being called over to some of the tables and pointing up to the stage before handing over a few coins. Each time one of the wenches stop at a table it is the same thing. Yet on stage the strange blonde haired woman seems not to notice the scene she has made as she seems to look at something only she can see floating in the air.

However nothing is there if you care to look up, simply the ceiling above, this floor of the inn, the stairs being close to the stage to the second floor. “What do you mean I can’t go up to great the lady?” one of the loggers says, seeming angry that he was told no, no doubt he was feeling like many others were, wanting to know who this mysterious woman was who had come into their village. And how he could get her to leave with him tonight, “Got to go boys, can’t have my workers being hurt.” Says the barkeep as he runs off to take care of the situation.

Bang!! Comes the sound of the door to the Spiteful Wench being slammed open with enough force to make the wood seem about to splinter. Standing in the doorway is a silhouette of a rather short person, no more than four feet five inches. Though judging by how much he seemed to way it seemed to be a dwarf. “Attack…at the mines…dead..” is all he manages to get out before falling forward, slamming his head into one of the tables near the door on his way down.

With the sun no longer blurring your view you can see two arrows sticking out of his back, and what looks like odd scratches, as if the dwarven miner had been poked with something sharp, perhaps a mining pick? But who would attack the dwarves? They had always been peaceful with the village. And what was it he said, attack, meaning it was still happening.

"Someone go get a healer, the rest of you check the village." Logan called out leaping to action first, his men quickly taking the axes they kept around their belts into their hands and following their boss into the streets outside. "Can someone help me with him?" Bathelmous asks as he tries to get the dwarf onto one of the tables so he can check the wound.

What do you all do?

gallagher
2016-09-04, 05:01 PM
Abben jumps to the rescue. I've got this. Before lifting him, Abben checks for a pulse and (presuming there is one) Abben converts one of his orisons into a healing spell to ensure that the dwarf is stable to remove the risk of aggravating any injury. Converting Mending for Cure Minor Wounds, he is healed 1 and stabilized if there is any life left in the guy.

Abben then lifts the guy onto a table, freeing up the floor space. Abben then goes to the wall where his guisarme is leaning and turns to his brother. Shall we take care of this the old fashioned way? He asks in a tone laced with sarcastic innocence.

esorscher
2016-09-04, 05:15 PM
The mystery of the strange women would have to wait.

Abben is faster than Madclaw is, and more capable. Once the dwarf is dealt with the Goliath nods to his brother and moves out the door, drawing his quarterstaff and surveying the scene.

Timble
2016-09-05, 01:41 AM
The bar wasn't a suitable place to meditate and Hadrian was unable to focus. He opens his eyes in time to see Abben and Madclaw enter and he silently waves at them.
When the woman began playing, Hadrian was reminded of the music at the monastery. There it had been used to calm and focus the minds of the monks. He wondered if he could try to use it for his meditation, but decided to just listen and relax.
Unlike his friends, he didn't ask after the singer. She would likely just be there to work and his time in the monastery had left him more resistant to the baser desires. He shifted in his chair when one of the loggers started to become angry and prepared to intervene if it became violent. He noted that the woman just stared at empty air, did she merely have a disturbed mind or was there something more sinister about her?
When the dwarf burst in, Hadrian moved over to help, but changed his mind and instead followed Logan outside. The dwarf was surrounded by people who could help him. Any second he delayed to help the dwarf could mean another person dead. And Hadrian was a better fighter then a healer.
"Come, Jonas. Our help may be needed."
As he left, he looked back and was relieved to see Abben pick up the dwarf. If he still lived then Abben could heal him.

ilinares
2016-09-05, 03:10 AM
Looking back longingly at the singer one last time, Jonas retrieves his pack and weapons and sets off after Hadrian. As he goes, he draws on the well of power within himself, setting wards of adamant force around his body.

Mage armour. Set AC to 17 for 1 hour.

"You do know the way to the mines?" he asks Hadrian. "This isn't like that time we went to help with a barn fire and ended up lost for an hour?"

Timble
2016-09-05, 04:36 AM
"Well I was thinking to follow these guys..." Hadrian said, blushing. "So does anyone here know the best way to the mines?"
He unties the sling he uses as a headband but doesn't use his limited power yet.

ilinares
2016-09-05, 06:39 AM
Jonas grunts, not wanting to admit Hadrian had a point. Getting lost in this press of bodies would take an act of true folly, something very unlikely in his friend. Besides, come to think of it, he had been the one leading the way to the fire that time...

dantiesilva
2016-09-06, 11:33 AM
Before I write up this post I want everyone to know how I saw this going. The two brothers stood inside until the man was healed which took a turn as they collected their weapons as well. While this was going on Jonas and Hadrian ran out with the mob of people. Meaning the group is starting out at least 30ft. away. Just wanted that to be clear so when you all see the map you are not confused.

As you follow after Logan and the other four men running along with him you all form a small little formation with Logan in the lead as you rush towards the Northwestern gate. Turning Around you note that there are hideous horned creatures at the eastern gate to the town. Wicked pitched fork like things in their hands, and goat like legs.

Knowledge The planes check to ID the creature

Abben as you rush over and offer your healing abilities the barkeeps nods his thanks as he and your brother Madclaw quickly break the arrow heads off and pull the arrows out. Looking at the dark wood these are made off, almost as if they have been charred black with wicked barbs on them you wounder if perhaps an orc raiding party had attacked the dwarven mines as you use one of your least powerful spells to simply stop the bleeding. It seems to have worked, however the dwarf has suffered a lot of blood loss and no doubt more magic would be needed to wake him up at this time.

As the two of you step outside, weapons at the ready you note Logan and your fellow Lumberjacks heading to the North Western Gate, the two scholars in two with them. However there is a more immediate threat closer to all of you as you see two misshapen humanoid like creatures at the eastern gate, their strange fork like weapons covered in the blood of the guard who had been standing watch their.

Spot check
Knowledge The planes check to ID the creatures

http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t358/Gothenem/Herlekin.png (http://s515.photobucket.com/user/Gothenem/media/Herlekin.png.html)

Everyone please roll initatives
Here is the map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=182680)

gallagher
2016-09-06, 06:54 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

Brother, look away from where they are running... Abben whispers to Madclaw as he gestures with his head. He may not know what they are, but they certainly arent from around these parts, and they might be up to no good. Given that a team of lumberjacks went off with their two new friends were rushing off to meet whatever other enemies there were, Abben decides to act as a rearguard.

Seeing the threats move into the little town, Abben rushes headlong at his enemy hoping to hook one off of his feet with his guisarme, so that he and his brother need only fight one at a time.

Touch Attack: [roll1]
Trip Attempt: [roll2]
Extra Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

dantiesilva
2016-09-06, 09:04 PM
Enemy 1 21
Mob 20
Enemy 2 19
Logan & Madclaw 18
Enemy 3&4 17
Hadrian 10
Jonas 7
Abben 6

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=182762) is unchanged at this point due to no one rolling higher so far than the NPC's/enemies though we still have two players.

In your studies you have heard tales of these outsiders, beings from Baal's army of devils. They are known as Herlekin and are among the rank and file soldiers of the armies of hell. If the stories are to be believed it is said these beings are normally brought into this world through the use of summoning magic gone wrong. Good people, normally woman, saying they are trying to do something good only to become with child. These are the children born from this unholy union. While they are higher up in the hierarchy of hell than a lemure is, it is not by much.

As you look at the horned creature standing before you the wolf spirit fills your mind with knowledge. Telling you that these things before you are outsiders, born from the deceiver when he comes to the material plane summoned by mortal woman. They are the shock troopers of hell itself, even stronger than lemures are said to be. And that fork in their hand is actually a very dangerous weapon they have been specailly trained to use in combat. However these creatures really only enjoy three things in life, Drinking, Fighting, and fornicating, and not always in that order. The wolf spirit warns you however that it senses a great power within these beings it is not aware of, however it has to be activated by an outside simulate.

It is the sound of crunching bones that draws your attention as you look at the path before you all and see another of these creatures standing before you, its mouth dripping blood as if it had just gotten finished drinking the blood of its enemy. "Get him boys" Logan calls out as he sees the creature, not understanding what this thing standing before you was as his men charge forward Each of them bring an axe down upon the creature as they try to cut down deep into its flesh.. However all but one of the lumberjacks miss their mark who cuts a deep gash into the creatures skin as it uses its strange weapon to deflect all the other incoming blows.

6 Damage total

Looking up the street you notice that the other one while also covered in blood, seems to be standing back, as if waiting for some sort of sign or other such indicator. "That's it men, push the beasts back." Shouts out logan wielding two throwing axes in his hands as he lets one fly at the creature that is almost surrounded. However while Logan may be a good lumberjack, a weapons master he is not as the axe flies straight past the creature and almost hits one of his employees.

NEW MAP (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=182818)

esorscher
2016-09-07, 05:51 PM
Madclaw moves toward the unengaged enemies on the other end of the street, who are just outside the distance he could cover were he to charge them, and prepares to charge the first one to draw within range.

Move: Move 30' toward Enemy 3/4 as indicated on map.
Standard: Ready a single-action charge (30' movement, otherwise normal) against the first enemy to enter range. Charge, wielding one end of quarterstaff as 2-handed weapon: [roll0], [roll1] damage, AC 14.

dantiesilva
2016-09-07, 08:45 PM
Madclaw as you grip your quaterstaff in two hands, gripping so hard that your very knuckles turn white you get into posistion. Making sure the enemy will not be able to go any further. A grout of steam seems to leave the goat legged creatures nose as it dips its head down and licks up some of the blood of the old vetren who must have been on guard when these things attacked. You watch as a strange transformation takes over the creature before you as its eyes become bloodshot, and its muscles seem to bulge. Thats when you watch the beast lower its head, preparing no doubt to charge you with its ram like horns.

Changing your stance slightly you pull your quaterstaff back and as the beast begins to charge, you let out a mighty roar as you charge as well, your quaterstaff seeming to dig a trench in the dirt in your wake. A few more steps, you think before the sound of bone splitting can be heard as the full force of both you and the creature charging each other drives you quaterstaff home, knocking the beast clear off of its feet. Seemingly unconscious at your feet, its own attack not even having a chance due to your perfectly timed swing.

It charged, you charged, it fumbled. You hit.
Enemy 3 has taken 10 damage 4 rounds

Your luck dose not seem to hold however as the second beast seemed to take your moment of being wrapped up with its brother as its own chance to charge. Its horns digging deeply into your ribs before being ripped out, a smile on its cruel humanoid face as it licked the drops of blood dripping down from its horns.

10 Piercing damage

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=182856)

Enemy 1 21
Mob 20
Enemy 2 19
Logan & Madclaw 18
Enemy 3&4 17
Hadrian 10
Jonas 7
Abben 6

gallagher
2016-09-07, 10:32 PM
Brother! Abben shouts as Madclaw runs into the fray. His brother crashed with one in the middle, but left himself open to another's horns. Seeing the creature gore his brother Abben rushes headlong at his enemy hoping to hook one off of his feet with his guisarme.

Copy/pasting the rolls -
Touch Attack: (1d20+8)[18]
Trip Attempt: (1d20+13)[23]
Extra Attack: (1d20+8)[11]
Damage: (2d4+7)[12]

dantiesilva
2016-09-07, 10:58 PM
Charging foward to the aid of your brother, you stand to his left flank, hunting like a wolf as you spin your wicked spiked chain through the air. Once, twice, round and round it goes as you catch the Herlekin's eyes begin to follow your chain in its rapid circles. Thats when you lash out, changing the direction of the chain almost immedietly, the chain lashes out around the devil's foot. It is a brief struggle as you quickly yank the creatures feet out from underneath it, and in the same swift movement, the other end of your chain buries itself into the creatures spine, making you have to use a bit of strength to pull it back out, a loud gruntal like scream escaping the creatures lips.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=182857)

Enemy 1 (6 Damage)
Mob
Enemy 2
Logan
Madclaw
Enemy 3 (10 Damage, Unconscious)
Enemy 4 (12 Damage, Prone)
Hadrian
Jonas
Abben

ilinares
2016-09-08, 02:26 AM
"What...?"

Jonas has barely made sense of the sudden arrival of these devils before the two brothers have downed one and left the other thrashing on the floor like a landed fish. He feels a surge of respect and admiration for their skills, even as he notices that Madclaw has been seriously injured.

There are two more adversaries on the field of battle. Trusting the warriors to deal with their own foe, Jonas focuses his attention on the injured enemy still in the fight. Considering briefly, he speaks a single word in the draconic tongue and traces a sigil in the air with his free hand. A crackling sphere of lightning, perhaps the size of a chicken's head - an analogy he inwardly vows never to repeat to Hadrian, even as he laments his over-exposure to these farming bumpkins - appears in the air above his upraised palm. He gestures curtly at the wounded attacker, and the orb hurtles through the air towards it, guided by Jonas's pointing hand.

Lesser orb of electricity on Enemy 1. Ranged touch attack: [roll0] for [roll1] electricity damage.

The range is 25', so I move as needed to close to that range.

Timble
2016-09-08, 03:02 AM
Focussing his mind, Hadrian summons up a small pile of stone bullets( [roll0] ). Loading one into the sling, he looks about to see the best target.
"Jonas, we must end this quickly before more people die."

ilinares
2016-09-08, 07:21 AM
"Agreed," Jonas calls back, watching to see if his spell was enough to slay its target. "But there may be more of them at the mine. Watch your power reserves."

Of course, if it came to it, Hadrian was quite capable of standing up to a foe like this in hand-to-hand combat. Jonas wasn't - a thought that sent his thoughts skittering to his other spells.

If need be, there was always the better part of valour...

dantiesilva
2016-09-08, 11:53 AM
Jonas as you watch the lumberjacks surround the Herlekin and try to damage it you not that they are having a hard time doing so, perhaps a wizards touch would help them. And so you begin speaking the ancient language of dragons as a glowing ball of electricity slowly begins to take shape in your hands. As the last word is spoken the ball of energy flies towards its intended target striking its arm causing a minor jerk of its arm, but nothing more it seems.

And so with Hadrian preparing to fight these creatures on his own terms, and the two brothers easily about to dispatch their own one question remains, where did these creatures come from because it was unlikely that the dwarves would have summoned such devils. And what power must have been used to keep them here long enough to run from the mine to the village?

There was no time to answer that no however as you watch the creature you just shot full of electricity stab its fork like weapon into one of the lumberjacks gots, ripping his entrails out in the process, and killing him almost instantly.

Seeing one of their own fall down the remaining lumberjacks under Logans command attack with a fury however it is again only Tim who seems to land a blow on the creature, and even that is only a glancing one. However Just as time brings his blade back gleaming with blood two horns pierce his chest, one going straight through his chest as an enemy not seen earlier comes charging to his allies aid. Killing Tim in the process.

"TIM!!!!" Logan screams out as he watches his friends eyes roll back, as the Herlekin rears its head back up, tossing tims body over its own head, blood dripping down the sides of its horns. A fire burns within Logan's eyes as he sees another of his men fall dead, and gripping his axe in two hands he makes a mighty chop at the monster before him, trying to cut a clear path through it to its allie behind. And what a strike it is as the axe goes in deep, as he takes on of his hands off of his axe to grab onto the one he threw ealier before kicking the beast back. His weapons coming free as blood covers him entirely.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=182880)

Mob
Enemy 2
Logan
Madclaw
Enemy 3 (10 Damage, Unconscious)
Enemy 4 (12 Damage, Prone)
Hadrian
Jonas
Abben

esorscher
2016-09-08, 10:00 PM
Madclaw brings his quarterstaff to bear against the prone beast, alternating strikes against its exposed flanks with the intent to fracture ribs and puncture lungs. "Go help the lumberjacks!" he calls to Abben, confident he can deal with this prone creature on his own, should it survive his assault.

TWF, Full attack against prone target (-4 AC): [roll0], [roll1] ; [roll2], [roll3]

AoO, non TWF (if necessary): [roll4], [roll5]

dantiesilva
2016-09-08, 10:53 PM
Slamming your quaterstaff down upon the beastile like creature before you you hear the sound of breaking bones before watching the creature take its last breath, blood dripping from its lips as its sides become caved in upon themselves leaving only the unconscious beast from earlier on this side of the field. And so you tell your brother to go help the others for it seems their battle is not going as well as your own.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=182931)

Mob
Enemy 2
Logan
Madclaw
Enemy 3 (10 Damage, Unconscious) 3 rounds
Hadrian
Jonas
Abben

Timble
2016-09-09, 01:13 AM
Hadrian knew he had to act fast before more people died. Moving to get a clear line of sight on the last threat, he quickly hurled a psionic bullet toward the monster.

Hit: [roll0]
Being next to the lumberjack means it is in melee I think, so I put the -4 into the roll
damage: [roll1]
Edit: Forgot to mention moving north/up to get a clear line of sight

ilinares
2016-09-09, 02:17 AM
The young mage breaks out into a cold sweat as he realises how lucky he was not to hit one of the lumberjacks with his last spell. Jonas selects a more precise evocation from those whirling in his thoughts, and with a string of words and a precise gesture, he makes that spell manifest in the world as a dart of brilliant blue light. It is a weapon of pure force, and it soars unerringly across the field of battle, swerving to avoid striking allies before hitting the foul devil that was Hadrian's target.

Magic Missile on Enemy 2 for [roll0] force damage.

gallagher
2016-09-09, 04:18 PM
Abben and Madclaw had finished off those demons in front of them, and he took that time to make sure they were prepared for what might happen next. I... I think I have heard of these creatures before... and I think something I have heard about them is that they might be the first strike... More may be headed our way, I dont know if we can abandon our position yet. What do you think? Abben said plainly as he used his blessed power to close his brother's wounds.

Converting Divine Favor into CLW: [roll0]

Abben still has a move action that I am saving for after Madclaw responds to his statements.

dantiesilva
2016-09-09, 10:27 PM
Hadrian wanting your odds to be the best they could to hit this fiend, you move a little closer as you rear your sling back and fire. You watch as your magical bullet flies from your sling and falls short of reaching your target. At least next time perhaps you would be able to use this one to judge the strength you would need to use to hit the creature.

Just then a blue ball of light seems to come into existence seemingly made of pure force, said to be the most powerful kind of magic in the known world. And with a simple command you let the ball of light go, it knowing who its target was and acting on your command as it slams into the Herlekin's back making it move slightly from the force of being pushed forward but not much else.

On the other side of the battlefield Abben sees to his brothers wounds, telling his brother what he knows about these creatures and asking if they should wait at this entrance to see if more would arrive, or go help the others. As you debate this, you watch as your last two friends from the logging business attack the creature from both sides, trying to get a clear advantage over the beast however both of your friends miss. Though their attacks almost seemed able to land a blow on the creature.

Senseing the danger it would be in if any others joined in surrounding him the creature used the butt of its weapon to attack the enemy behind him, however at the last second the Herlekin reverses its grip on the fork like weapon, thrusting forward into the attacker south of him, as the two prongs come out the other side of the body you all can see the grievous wound dealt by this creature killing another of the logging crew.

Logan once more seeing one of his friends cut down so easily steps over his friends body as he brings his axe down on the beast, cutting into its flesh. It is not the deepest wound, but thanks to Jonas's earlier attack it seems to be starting to run out of energy to fight.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=183002)

LumberJack 4
Enemy 2 (7 Damage)
Logan
Madclaw
Enemy 3 (10 Damage, Unconscious) 2 rounds
Hadrian
Jonas
Abben

So you have an idea of the map

20ft directly in front of you is logan, above him is the enemy, and above the enemy is the last lumberjack.
5' to your NE is Hadrian
60' East is Abben
65'East and 5'south is Madclaw with Enemy 3 unconscious 5ft infront of him.

esorscher
2016-09-09, 11:21 PM
Madclaw moves forward, brandishing his weapon.

Double move 60' toward Logan and the enemies.

Timble
2016-09-10, 12:09 AM
Taking a moment to focus, Hadrian launches another bullet toward the foe.

Move action to gain focus:
[roll0]
Sling:
[roll1] Hit Chance
[roll2] Damage

ilinares
2016-09-10, 01:02 AM
Focusing on his instinctive well of power, Jonas sends out a magical assault against the devil's mind, pitting his will against that of the Outsider.

Thanks for the description! Casting Whelm. Will save DC 15 or takes [roll0] nonlethal damage.

dantiesilva
2016-09-10, 01:13 AM
@Madclaw As you turn back to see that most of the people you have called friends for a good portion of your life have been cut down to size by this monster you leave the one you knocked unconcious behind as you race forward towards Logan and Ben hoping you can at least spare their lives. "Look Ben, this devil doesn't stand a chance now." Logan shouts out as he sees you rushing to their aid.

@Hadrian In the din of battle it is said only masters are able to still their mind to a perfect focus, and as it has been proven throughout the day you have not yet come to that mastery yet. However there was still a chance for you to be able to aid Logan and Ben as you once more take aim, making sure to not hit your allies as you let the magic infused stone fly. The attack still misses, but this time it seems to have been a bit to high. Next time for sure you will be able to hit the beast.

@Jonas With so many allies close to this creature it was not worth the risk of using one of your more powerful spells for it was clear the brute was able to take a physical attack. But what about a mental one? And so you reach out with your mind looking for that of the Herlekins. Instantly stranges images pop into your head of women, all looking at you standing in a summoning circle of sorts. That's when you feel yourself ejected from the creatures mind, however not before doing a crucial blow to its mind.

Because of the effect it is under right now it actually only failed by 1 so I wanted to show the struggle of it trying to push you out of its mind, plus you only did 1 damage.

Also the only change to the map is Madclaw being 5ft South East of you now.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=183011)

LumberJack 4
Enemy 2 (8 Damage)
Logan
Madclaw
Enemy 3 (10 Damage, Unconscious) 2 rounds
Hadrian
Jonas
Abben (Don't forget still have your move from last turn)

gallagher
2016-09-10, 11:09 AM
Abben is not happy with how many of his friends have been taken down on the other side of the street by these demons. He gathers a burst of energy and sprints into action, hoping that he doesnt arrive too late. Charging at the enemy, he attempts to hook his ankles to send him to the floor.

Touch Attack: [roll0]
Trip Attempt: [roll1]
Conditional attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

dantiesilva
2016-09-10, 07:57 PM
@Abben The spirit of the wolf once told you that all wolves considered certain people part of their pack and would do anything to protect them. And so it is proven true as you have had enough with the Herlekin on the other side that had been doing nothing but killing your friends. You would show this creature why nothing ever hunted a pack of wolves.

Chargining towards the beast you level your galive like a spear making it seem like you intend to impale it, however as you rush past Jonas it seems the two of you barely have enough time to move which upsets your balance. Thankfully the speed at which you are traveling saves you, as gravity dose the work when the hook like blade of the galive finds the back of the beasts goat like legs. As the creature falls Logan and Ben each hack into the creatures hard flesh as your galive makes a clean cut up the beasts legs. The effect of all of your attacks killing it.

Being tripped and falling prone I believe count as AoO if you have adjacent enemies. He had two, and while your attack finished him off I thought it would be nice to show Ben and Logan getting their revenge with you.

"There's still one more living." Logan points out looking back to where Madclaw and Abben had come from. It didn't seem to have moved since its encounter with Madclaw, however there seemed to be a rhythm to its breathing, something the two lumberjacks planned to change as they began walking over.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=183088)

LumberJack 4
Logan
Madclaw
Enemy 3 (10 Damage, Unconscious) 1 round
Hadrian
Jonas
Abben (Don't forget still have your move from last turn)

gallagher
2016-09-10, 09:05 PM
Get your fill, hack him to pieces if you care to, Abben says ruthlessly, looking at the survivors to try and judge their wounds.

dantiesilva
2016-09-10, 09:11 PM
As you look over Ben and Logan to check for wounds you notice neither one of them bare a single scratch. What the hell had happened then that the others had fallen so easily yet these two stood like nothing had happened to them. Sure they both had blood on them, from friend and foe alike, but neither of them had suffered a single wound. No wounder Herlekins were considered the shock troopers to be sent in after Lemure if what the wolf spirit told you is true.

ilinares
2016-09-11, 01:12 AM
Jonas shrugs, leaving it to the lumberjacks to claim their revenge. If the enemy had been mortal, he might suggest taking it prisoner, interrogating it; against a devil, however, such tactics would prove fruitless.

Instead, he simply waits, ready to step in if needed.

Delaying my turn.

Timble
2016-09-11, 02:01 AM
"Be quick and merciful," Hadrian calls to them. "We still need to make sure no more are nearby and if there are any survivors at the mines"
With no obvious threat insight, he moves closer to the gate to check outside. As he walks he once again tries to focus himself, it would certainly be useful.

Focus:
[roll0]
Hooray! Finally a successful roll.

esorscher
2016-09-11, 07:57 AM
Madclaw stands over the prone demon for a few moments, studying it carefully, then, suddenly and swiftly strikes it in the temple with his quarterstaff, ending its existence. "I have no knowledge of such otherworldly things, but perhaps someone else would know. Logan, if you can find someone in town with knowledge of things, please, bring them here to identify it. Either way, alert the community elders, such as they are, and round up anyone who can fight. There may be more of these things coming, and the mines need our help as well." He follows Hadrian in that direction.

ilinares
2016-09-11, 11:24 AM
Jonas falls into step behind Madclaw.

"They're devils known as herlekin," he says softly. "Rank and file soldiers of the Nine Hells, if I remember my studies correctly. Brutes bred for battle, creatures of base lusts. Numerous enough to be summoned to this plane fairly frequently. But that suggests, doesn't it, the existence of a summoner? Hardly something I would expect of this backwater village."

gallagher
2016-09-11, 11:51 AM
I recall something about them being advance troops, so they could be only the start. Might be that the attack on the mines was to draw us out?

Timble
2016-09-11, 04:43 PM
"Should we check on the dwarf?" Hadrian asked. "We need to know how much danger the village is in."

esorscher
2016-09-11, 05:23 PM
"We need to do something, but we don't need to do it all together. I'm going to the mines to see what I can see. I'd prefer all the help I can get, but if you feel like your place is better served elsewhere, I'll understand. But I think we can trust Logan to deal with some things for us. That said, I don't want to walk into a trap," he nods at Abben's remark. "but I don't want to delay, either. We should be careful on our approach. And I could use a bit of healing," he says.

If I could get a lesser vigor or a CLW that'd be great.

dantiesilva
2016-09-11, 09:06 PM
Jonas not having any close bonds to the lumberjacks you step aside allowing Abben, Ben, Logan, and Madclaw to encircle the lone remaining Herlekin still unconscious form its last assault. It is the brute strength of Madclaw however as he uses both hands to lift his quarterstaff high into the air, before slamming it down into the creatures skull. The sound of cracking bones can be heard as the wooden staff makes contact with the Herlekin’s temple and you must wonder If it was not better for the creature to perish in this manner than suffering a blow like that while wide awake. One thing is for sure however, the strength of Madclaw was strong then the skull of a devil.

Hadrian calling out for the others to at least show some kind of mercy to the beast that had attacked and slaughtered at least five people you know of, with a sixth in critical care inside the Spiteful Dryad you make your way over to the Northwest gate to make sure no more of these creatures could be seen on the horizon. The silence of the forest surrounding the village is a bit unsettling, however it does seem to help focus your mind as you scan the tree line, however if there are enemies outside the village they are either well-hidden or invisible to the human eye. Should you leave for the mines, they were a little over a few hours away from the village, and if there were other creatures like this patrolling out there would it really be wise to be caught outside to the village walls after dusk?

Madclaw as you bark out orders you can see people poking their heads out of their small homes all around you. Having heard battle no doubt many of them had locked their doors, but with your mighty voice booming they seem to have at least thought the danger had passed. “ I will go alert the elders, if they do not know already. Ben you mind going to try and round up a few of the guys to start watches?” Logan asks the only other remaining of your work crew. He seems shaken, however after a moment nods. “I will see what I can do, but I don’t know who will come. Most of us lumberjacks are the strongest people here. I mean the town guard will help, and maybe the smith…” Ben trails off understanding that this wasn’t the time to worry about who would say no. “ I will be back as soon as I can.” And with that he runs off.

And so as Madclaw begins to follow after Hadrian, Jonas falls into line behind him, and as the group comes together begins to explain what he knows about the creatures which attacked the village. Herlekins as he and Abben called them, the adopted brother of Madclaw adding his own information. So many questions left unanswered by this attack. And no doubt there would not be a way to learn the true answer about what was happening until you all got to the mines, unless of course that was all a ploy and it was the village that was the target.

Just then a woman in strange orange clothing steps out of the Spiteful Dryad, her skin a bronze like color, no doubt from being under the sun day in and day out. Her wavy hair falling to her shoulders, and two scimitars strapped to her hips by a silk looking material. “My sister told me there was trouble outside?” came the woman’s voice looking around, her right hand resting against the pommel of her scimitar, while the other was arced on her hip. “It seems however I am too late to help.” She points out looking at the dead body of the Herlekin that had its skull dented in by Madclaw.

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/ANcAAOSwLnBXVfRk/s-l225.jpg

"The name is Hayal by the way." the woman says, her voice coming out like honey even though only her eyes were able to be seen under the thin material she seemed to wear that covered from her nose down to her neck. Giving only a faint outline of what could be beneath the simple peace of attire.

ilinares
2016-09-12, 02:58 AM
Jonas glances at the new arrival, then does a double-take, eyes speculative. "I'm sure you'll have chance enough to wet those blades, my lady. I, for one, welcome all the fighters we can get."

Particularly one so easy on the eyes, he adds inwardly. A few seconds later, his brain catches up to the unintended double entendre of his words; turning to the darkness outside to hide his blush, which would hardly add to his charming persona, he speaks quietly to his friends.

"If you don't mean to go after them this night, I will rest and ready my spells for the morrow. I dislike the thought of leaving the survivors to these creatures' nonexistent mercies, but the thought of being messily murdered because we rushed off blindly appeals even less.

"They come again, call me: I've spells enough to face another fight. But I'll be better able to aid you tomorrow if I don't stand a watch."

gallagher
2016-09-12, 12:05 PM
I would never abandon you, brother. If you go to the mines, I will be right there with you. But I fear we go off to find only enemies with not one left to save, seeing that the one who ran off to warn us looked half-dead when he arrived. Anyone else choose to come with?

ilinares
2016-09-12, 01:09 PM
Jonas holds up a placating hand. "Don't misunderstand me: if you do wish to pursue them tonight, I will join you, and do all in my power to ensure your success. I mean only that our chances of avenging the miners will be greater in daylight."

esorscher
2016-09-12, 07:02 PM
"I want to gather information about our enemy. If we arrive at the mine and it is deserted, we can examine the remains of the battlefield. If it is occupied, we should know that, too. I have no intention of getting into more combat, tonight." He looks at the woman, unimpressed by her formless charms, lacking the most attractive of female qualities, hard shale-like growths on her skin, and entirely too soft for his preference. With no attraction felt on his part, he can treat her as he would any other person. "You can accompany us, at your own risk, if you are stealthy enough."

Timble
2016-09-13, 12:19 AM
"With demons on the prowl, we would be glad for your help," Hadrian says to Hayal. "Do you have any powers or abilities to use besided your weapons.
Jonas had acted with a wisdom of sorts in asking to stay behind.
"We need to check the mines but also keep the village safe. We should all consider which option we are more suited for before acting. For example, I don't have a lot of power to throw at things but can probably deal some damage up close. I can stay behind or go on ahead. I won't let my desire to help the mines leave the village undefended nor will I let any group that leaves to be undermanned."

dantiesilva
2016-09-13, 12:53 AM
“My Sister told me many of the men among you were quick to speak.” Hayal commented catching on all too easy to what Jonas had said, versus what he may have meant. “As for going with you, I did not say such a thing. While I and my sisters do not mind fighting when we have to alongside men, we rather work only with each other. Less likely for a problem to arise that way and no one can get funny ideas.” She adds looking directly at the mage as she says this last part. “Besides we are travelers simply passing through trying to earn a few coins. Why should we worry about the people in the mine? They are not here paying us, so I see no reason to go to them. Now if the town would like to pay us to help them stay safe that is another matter.” She says, yawning as if bored by this entire conversation.

As talk of leaving the village to head for the mine is being spoken about many good points are brought up, including the one that Madclaw points out, that he only wished to gain information on their new enemy. However with darkness approaching heading to the mines and not being seen was not likely as most in the group could not see in the dark, and thus would have to carry a light source, unlike the foe the foe you just fought which like most devils could see perfectly in the dark.

“A Lady never reveals her tricks until they are needed. That way when someone tries something they should not they do not see what lies in store for them. Besides the imagination is such a wonderful thing, it would be a shame to waste it.” She says with a hint of amusement at Hadrian’s question.

And so knowing that should the sisters, only two of which you have seen so far, were paid they would be willing to help protect the village, and Logan getting the elders, while Ben goes door to door trying to get people to help defend the village it left only one question. What was it the four of you would do? Would you venture off into the forest in the hopes of reaching the mines before darkness set in and you would have to light your torches, thus giving away where you were. Or would you get a good nights rest and investigate the mines first thing in the morning?

esorscher
2016-09-13, 08:40 AM
"I can see in the dark. I will go investigate the mines, alone, if necessary."

ilinares
2016-09-13, 11:27 AM
"What kind of mage would I be if I couldn't see in the dark, should the need arise?" Jonas retorts, smiling disarmingly. "You will not be alone, my friend."

gallagher
2016-09-13, 06:01 PM
I'd prefer to fight with my eyes closed, anyway. Makes it more of a sport. Abben says gleefully. He looks to the sky to take note of the cloud coverage and direction of the wind. He takes a deep breath of crisp air and says - Well, it is decided then. Let's be on with it. Abben says, heading off with purpose.

survival roll: DC 15 to predict 24 hours worth of weather. I want to guess what the cloud coverage will be by the time we get to the mines.

[roll0]
EDIT: Looks like I know TWO days of weather. Beat that, Al Roker!

Timble
2016-09-14, 04:53 AM
"If you are all going, I may as well go too. The monsters came from the mines, perhaps the best way to protect the village from them is to go to their source. Hadrian says.
He turned to the Hayal. He disliked her. The order he belonged to believed that it was good to help others without expecting reward. Risking your life in a hopeless situation was usually seen to be wasteful but the situation did not yet seem hopeless.
"Hayal. I cannot expect an apparent mercenary to act anything but selfish, you live as you desire. I cannot promise any reward from staying to help but if there is another attack and you help save their lives then they will certainly be grateful."

dantiesilva
2016-09-14, 08:02 PM
"I am a family girl dear, and my family is what is important to me. If I am not there defending them and something gets by there death is on my hands. So you may look at me however you want, but gratefullness doesn't pay the bills, nor does it bring the dead back to life. So go back to the enlightened world you came from little boy, because in the real world it is every man for themselves." Hayal says turning her back on you and walking back to the Spiteful Dryad, her hips swaying the entire way much like a cobra about to strike.

As the group decides, though not completely willingly that it would be best to investigate the mine before it gets two late, the four of you rush out the North West gate before the village elders have been assembled, or Ben has gotten anyone to guard the town. Thankufully while not exactly an easy road to follow, the dirt road was easy enough to follow to the mine thanks to Abben's tracking skills it was clear that the enemy and the dwarf had also come from this direction.

The deeper you got into the woods, the more it seemed like you were being watched as most animals were going into their homes for the night to rest, while the nocturnal creatures were just rising. Slowly the night air became filled with less and less sounds of life as you grew closer to the mine, and a strange constant tapping, like a pick hitting a wall kept filling the air. Growing louder and louder the loser you got to the mines.

May the odds ever be in your favor

Timble
2016-09-16, 01:16 AM
"There's two of them close to the walls," Hadrian whispered. "How should we do this?"
His psionic ammo had vanished long ago and the sling had returned being a headband. Unwilling to needlessly use his powers, Hadrian started to prepare a defensive ability.

Readying inertial armour for if anything dangerous happens.

ilinares
2016-09-16, 02:18 AM
"I like my fights the same way I like my women," Jonas quips quietly, covering up a thrill of fear with false machismo - and trying to conceal his woeful inexperience on both counts: "fast and dirty."

He peers into the shadows. Darkness poses no obstacle to his supernaturally-augmented sight, but he still struggles to work out where his friend is looking.

"When you flush them out, keep my line of fire clear to the one on the right. Gang up on the other one and put him down quick, just like at the village."

Such a rudimentary plan is the limit of Jonas's tactical planning, but he is not yet confident enough in the others' combat skills to defer to them. Arrogance is, after all, a defining trait of mages everywhere.

Assume I don't get a surprise round. When I can act, ready an action to send a Lesser Orb of Acid at the one on the right as soon as Jonas can see him. I'll post the roll here to be prepared:

RTA [roll0]
Damage [roll1] acid
(Weaponlike spell so I'll roll critical confirmation etc if appropriate)

Edit: *sigh* I had to go tempt fate by mentioning critical hits, didn't I?

And initiative if you need it: [roll2]

Feel free to roll initiative for me though.

esorscher
2016-09-16, 08:46 AM
Madclaw charges the one on the left, leaving the other open for Hadrian as requested.

Charge, Full Attack (Pounce): [roll0], [roll1]; [roll2], [roll3]

gallagher
2016-09-16, 10:25 AM
Jonas! Abben shouts as he sees a fury of magical activity fluster around the mage. Seeing a bolt of lightning appear close to his friend, Abben tried to grab him by the arm and pull him out of harm's way, but only managed to grab him by the wrist as the bolt struck.

Roll your save, I'll take half.

Timble
2016-09-16, 05:43 PM
Abben's shout caught Hadrian's attention. Diving over to push Jonas out of the way, Hadrian was too late to do anything but be hit by the blast.

dantiesilva
2016-09-16, 10:07 PM
@Madclaw hearing the plan you begin to charge towards the shadow in the cave on the left hand side, making sure that the one on the left would be clear for Jonas and his magic to target. From behind you, you hear a mighty clap of lighting before the smell of burnt flesh reaches your nose. Your brothers scream having come only a moment before the smell reached your nose. However there was no time to turn back, you had to trust in your brother to keep the others safe as you charge forward, quaterstaff in hand. The two guards jump up in surprise at the sound of the thunder, and it is clear they seem to be very afraid as they see you charging at them after such a mighty sound.

Their reaction time is to slow however as you slam your staff quickly into the gut of the Herlekin on the left, making the beast double over in pain only to meet the other end of your quaterstaff flying up to connect to its face, the sound of broken bones clear as a birds chirp to your ears. As the creature looks up and points its finger at you, saying something in a language you do not understand you notice a turrent of blood coming from the devils nose.

Both attacks hit meaning the devil on the right took 12 damage
The Devil on the left however is still unharmed

@ Abben, Hadrian,& Jonas

At first it seemed like Jonas's spell was going to work, however as the entire world seemed to fave away it was clear something had gone clearly wrong. Thats when the sound of thunder split the sky, and a bright white light pierced the magical darkness all around you heading straight towards the young mage. It was said many a young mage would often die if not for the help of their teachers being their to correct their mistakes, however there were no teachers here, deep in the woods. Only the bonds of friendship as both Abben and Hadrian rushed to try and take their friend out of the path of the incoming attack, the spell he had tried casting keeping his body trapped and unable to move., even with his two friends trying to push him out of the way.

Call it what you will however as the bolt stuck Jonas, both of his friends seemed to take hold of his body as the electrical charge was shared between all, as the mighty element tried to find its way into the ground. The smell of burnt flesh was in the air all around you, mixed with that of the very ozone itself. Blisters ran down the arms of the three brave heroes, where they shared their pain trying to save one another. However once more they found themselves in the darkness, unable to see anything outside, including their friend and brother Madclaw.

Jonas has a globe of Darkness centered on him, where he moves it moves, though unless Jonas ideas the spell he would not know that without testing walking around and them all noticing it is still around them when it should be gone.

Abben, Hadrian, Jonas take 7 electricity damage

Each of those who took the damage that have been mentioned gain 300exp each for role playing boost. The max you could have all gained was 400 had everyone shared the pain, however that is not what happened. Still 300 is not bad, it places the three of you 400exp away from level 2.

Initiative
Devil on the Right
Hadrian 20
Jonas 19
Devil on Right
Madclaw 13
Abben 6

Round 1

@Madclaw as you turn to see what happened with your allies the other Herlekin leaps into the fray, attacking you with that strange fork like contraption once more.

Attack not flanking 24 Damage 6

Timble
2016-09-17, 02:23 AM
Reeling from the lightning bolt, Hadrian unwraps his sling and conjures up a defensive screen of force.

Conjured inertial armour

ilinares
2016-09-17, 03:23 AM
Jonas groans his pain as his flesh sizzles and blisters from the lightning strike. Looking at Hadrian and Abben, words fail him as he tries to convey by his expression the gratitude and amazement he feels at their putting themselves in harm's way to save him.

Cautious now to avoid any spell with a risk of mishap, he utters the words of a conjuration, gesturing to the uninjured herlekin. At his command, a badger of fearsome proportions with a luminous corona manifests behind the devil, opposite Madclaw, and attacks.

Summon Monster I. Celestial badger to give flanking.

First claw (smite evil) [roll0] for [roll1] damage +1 for smite evil.
Second claw [roll2] for [roll3] damage
Bite [roll4] for [roll5] damage

dantiesilva
2016-09-17, 09:07 AM
There were many bad things in the world that caused pain, being stuck by lighting had to be one of them. And so you will a suit of armor into being to protect you made out of your pure willpower as it protects you in a shimmering light from harm. Now you would be able to fight these devils on your own terms without fear of retribution with a sling in one hand, and your fist ready to hit anything that got to close.

Magic had always been a dangerous thing, espically the kind that you had tried to use. It is said that magic is neither good nor evil, it simply bends to the will of the one controlling it. However some forms of magic have always been slightly more dangerous than others for when you try to attack someone it opens up your very body to the primal forces, and if you are not able to keep a strong hold over the spell it can lash out on unintended victims.

And so not wanting to risk such a disaster again until you could determine what had gone wrong with your earlier spell, you begin to summon forth one of the creatures of the heavens, known as a celestial badger to fight for you. However the spell takes time and concentration, hopefully something you will have if the two enemies stay entangled in Madclaw's attacks.

@Madclaw

The devil you had attacked earlier does not seem to be doing so well, even its legs seem to be shaking, struggling under the weight to support the Herlekin. And as the beast lashes out with all its strength trying to get revenge on you it is clear that this creature has seen its last fight as its fork pierces some unseen enemy froma long forgotten battle before being pulled back, missing you by a very large margin.

Attack 11 Damage 10 which I am almost positive misses you why I added the part about him seeming to be seeing an entirely different battle, due to his hp total and how he missed.

Okay so basically the map kinda looks like this at the moment

H
MH

Rest of party

Initiative
Devil on the Right
Hadrian 20
Jonas 19
Devil on Right
Madclaw 13
Abben 6

esorscher
2016-09-17, 08:52 PM
Madclaw continues his reckless assault, unharmed and unbothered by the demon's attack, hoping to put it down quickly before it is able to do any damage.

Full attack: [roll0], [roll1]; [roll2], [roll3]

dantiesilva
2016-09-17, 09:21 PM
@Madclaw As you strike out in a reckless attack hoping to end the creature before the two could do any real harm to you, you watch as your quaterstaff is caught inbetween the two forks of the wounded Herlekin's fork, the butt of its weapon digging into the ground from the force of your attack. Trying to quickly recover you use the other end of your staff, kicking up dirt with your swing, however the attack goes wide, so wide in fact the devil doesn't even seem to move from where it is barely standing in front of you, mocking your inability to hit it no doubt.

Initiative
Devil on the Right
Hadrian 20
Jonas 19
Devil on Right
Madclaw 13
Abben 6

gallagher
2016-09-18, 08:19 AM
Abben, hoping to ensure that Jonas doesnt get struck down in his weakened state, converts some of his spellpower into healing magic once more. Convert Magic Weapon into CLW: [roll0]

Once the magic seems to take effect, Abben moves towards the devils, hoping to assist Madclaw before they do much damage. I use my move action to approach the skirmish. If possible, I move to flank.

dantiesilva
2016-09-18, 12:22 PM
@Abben torn between helping your brother, and leaving your two friends to potentially be attacked undefended you decide on doing the closest thing you can to help both parties as you ask the great wolf to fill Jonas with the warmth of the hunt as some of the blisters on his arm seem to disappear before moving to help your brother, hoping that the magical darkness that surrounds you does not stop you from finding him as you follow the sounds of battle up ahead. Just as you are about to give up hope this darkness is ever going to end, you find yourself once more in the midist of the battle, your brother outnumbered and out maneuvered. Deciding to take away such an advantage you move to a flanking position with him to help him tear his enemies to shreds. Both Lion and Wolf working as one to defeat a common enemy.

H
MHA

Everyone else

@Madclaw seeing your brother by your side is a sight for sore eyes as the devil to your right becomes flanked by the two of you. Fearing what could happen should the two of you attack at the same time the creature thrusts at you with all its strength. However with the grace unseen in a goliath you change the direction of the incoming attack as the fork like weapon becomes embedded into the rock wall, unable to be pulled out it seems by the Herlekin.

Herlekin rolled a critical fumble and well weapon is useless without a DC20str check to pull it out now.

Initiative
Devil on the Right
Hadrian 20
Jonas 19
Devil on Right
Madclaw 13
Abben 6

Timble
2016-09-18, 04:35 PM
Too injured to risk melee, Hadrian conjures up more ammunition and loads it into his sling.

Ammo [roll0]

ilinares
2016-09-18, 04:58 PM
Jonas completes his spell, watching as the celestial badger appears and ferociously attacks the herlekin. Its attack does relatively little harm - but it does afford Madclaw a moment's advantage as his foe is distracted.

Wary of wasting his spells further, Jonas spends several precious seconds drawing and loading his crossbow.

dantiesilva
2016-09-18, 11:30 PM
@Hadrian as if being stuck in this magical darkness was not bad enough, you were also weakened from that last spell that went wrong by your collague Jonas. Deciding to play it safe you call forth four stone pebbles into your hand. Perhaps if you follow the sound of battle you may be able to get out of this blinding darkness that does not even allow you to see your hand in front of your face.

@Jonas It is a dim light on the ground a mere five feet in front of you that signals that your spell was a success as you ask the celestial badger to follow the sounds of the battle and help out your friends outside this darkness fight against the devils. From the sounds outside the darkness something has happened but for you (and Hadrian) there is no way of knowing which side has suffered a blow. Not wanting to be caught unarmed when this darkness leaves you feel around your back from your crossbow, slowly taking your time with loading the bolt into its slot. Let's just hope you will be able to use it.

H
MHA
-C-

JH

Herlekin on the top has taken 12 damage
Herlekin on the left has taken 3 damage

@Abben & Madclaw

From the darkness you watch as a badger with golden fur comes flying out of the darkness as it leaps through the air and attacks at the Herlekin. It is well known the creatures of good and the forces of evil do not get along well, and if this little creature is any indication you could easily believe it. However while the devil seems to be hurt by the badger, the impact of the first attack gave the beast enough strength to pull its weapon free as it stabs at the Badger trying to send it back to whatever place it called home.

Pull's weapon from wall followed by Attack 23 Damage 9 on the celestial badger

Devil on the Right
Hadrian 20
Jonas 19
Devil on Right
Madclaw 13
Abben 6

gallagher
2016-09-19, 09:48 AM
Abben does not like devils, at least not ones that are attacking his brother. Nor ones that attack badgers, for that matter. Using the tactics the wolf-spirit taught him, Abben attempts to put this monster to the ground where he could be more easily mauled by Madclaw.

Flanking, so +2. Also, I am not directly adjacent to the herlekin, as I have a reach weapon. I only bring this up because it does not look as such on the map.

Trip Touch Attack - [roll0]
Trip Attempt - [roll1]
Potential follow up attack - [roll2]
Potential damage - [roll3]

esorscher
2016-09-20, 07:49 PM
Madclaw attacks the evil extraplanar creature in front of him, delivering a two-handed jab toward the soft spot in the center of the creature's devilishly demonic face.

Attack: [roll0], [roll1]

dantiesilva
2016-09-20, 08:28 PM
@Abben Thanks to your brother helping you flank the devil, the herlekin has nowhere to go as you rip its feet out from underneath it, before slicing it open with your guisarme, leaving only one enemy left alive.

@MAdclaw it is now or never as you grip your staff in two hands and lash out at the devil before you that has been dodging each of your attacks with ease since that first blow, and this one is no different as it sidesteps out of the way of the incoming attack. And almost to prove how weak you are in comparison to the devil it does a lighting quick jab at your stomach trying to pierce it quickly and pull the blade back out before you can even notice.

Attack 19 Damage 8

Keep in mind I did not say the body vanished.

Devil on the Right
Hadrian 20
Jonas 19
Madclaw 13
Abben 6

Timble
2016-09-21, 01:22 AM
Hadrian moves out of the darkness towards the battle. Taking aim at the remaining herlekin, he hurls the psionic bolt at it.

[roll0]
[roll1]
Will my luck improve?

ilinares
2016-09-21, 10:45 AM
Moving swiftly to a position where his allies are not in his direct line of fire, Jonas waits a heartbeat to see if Hadrian's attack strikes the demonically dastardly devil down.

If it yet lives, he looses a bolt at it, inwardly cursing the way it bobs and weaves in the melee.

[roll0] to attack for [roll1] piercing damage.

dantiesilva
2016-09-21, 11:10 AM
Hadrian as you run foward trying to get out of this darkness you almost bumb into Madclaw as you finally see the light of day again. However because you were in the dark for so long it takes a moment for your eyes to adjust to the light once more, and in that moment your attack misses its mark.

Jonas moving around you notice the magical globe of darkness seems to keep following you around, however thankfully your heritage seems to allow you to see through this globe as if it were any normal kind of darkness. Moving to your right you make sure that Madclaw is not in your line of sight before firing the crossbow bolt at the devil.

@All but Jonas It seemed this creature would never go down as you all try as hard as you can to strike at the last remaining Herlekin. That is when a knocking sound, like a pick on stone comes from inside the tunnel somewhere as if someone were still working the mines, could their still be dwarves alive down there? As you all get ready to assault the beast once more a bolt embeds itself into the beasts throat, pinning it to the wall as it begins to bleed out, dying a few seconds later.

150exp for each party member

With the last enemy defeated you all notice that unlike most creatures summoned to this plain, these do not leave, nor do their belongings vanish as you note their odd weapons stay behind as well.

Military Fork (x2) You do not know what they are besides exotic weapons at the moment. You can either search the bodies for more clues, go in the cave, or rest for the night.

esorscher
2016-09-21, 09:00 PM
"Brother, can you tell anything from these corpses?" he asks, looking to Abben first for knowledge, as he has done since his arrival in this place. But before he wastes another breath, he heads off in the direction the bolt came from, looking for answers--specifically, looking to be sure this entity is friendlier to them than it is the evil creatures.

gallagher
2016-09-21, 10:12 PM
Let me think and see what I uncover, Abben says in a hushed voice, hoping to not draw any more attention to what might be lurking than they already had, and allowing him to listen for unwelcome approachers. In the meantime, Abben searches the bodies before him.

I think that the bolt described came from the darkness that is Jonas.

Search check: [roll0]
Listen Check: [roll1]

I am rolling three knowledge checks in which I have ranks for what each might uncover: Religion, Nature and Geography (in that order).
[roll2] [roll3] [roll4]

Timble
2016-09-22, 02:35 AM
Seeing that the fight was over, Hadrian located Jonas.
"You were hit dead on by that lightning bolt. Are you feeling okay?"
After that he turns to the others.
"I don't think I can safely continue. We still must learn what happened here, so if we are to go in right now I will stay towards the back until needed."

dantiesilva
2016-09-22, 11:16 AM
@Madclaw asking your brother to look into what may be on the creature for any sign of clues, you start walking towards the direction the bolt came from. Not long after beginning you find Jonas, no longer the center of a magical darkness standing with a crossbow in his hands. Who would have thought it would be a wizard that saved a barbarian. What was this world coming to when the mighty goliath race had to count on the soft skinned humans, and not even the warriors to kill an enemy they could not.

@Abben taking your time to look over the creatures, as well as keep an ear out incase anything wished to try and sneak up on the group, you pat down the creatures body, looking for anything that might give you a clue. However as you pat it down you notice that it wears no clothing, nor bag so it clearly doesn't have any items on its person besides the weapons the two carried. From the smell of brimstone still on their bodies it is clear they have not been in the material plane long either, but how could these creatures still be here? When a summoner called forth a creature of the outerplanes once they were defeated they were sent back, yet these Herlekins do not seem to be leaving this plane of existence, and now that you think about it the ones in the village did not either. What kind of power was needed to bring creatures to this plane without them being forced to return on death?

@Party Hadrian the voice of caution in the party points out that all of you have been drained physically from the days events. No doubt in less than a half hour the sun will fully set, and sometime during the night someone will come to switch places with the now dead guards. To push foward means rushing in blindly with no idea of the size of the enemy force and risk death. However if you stayed the night someplace close enough to reach in the morning, but safe enough where one person could keep watch and tell if anyone was coming would let you all rest peacefully and regain your strength.

gallagher
2016-09-22, 01:24 PM
Hadrian is right, Abben asserts, we should go back and rest. This isnt the result of a maniac summoning these creatures. Abben points to the bodies laying before them, gesturing that he has completed his search. They werent summoned to begin with, else they would have disappeared after being killed. The only conclusion I can come up with is that these mines have breached some sort of wall that had kept them at bay.

ilinares
2016-09-22, 04:49 PM
Jonas blinks slightly, the only sigh he gives of his surprise at hitting the herlekin with his crossbow bolt.

When Hadrian approaches him, he smiles his gratitude - then winces as the motion aggravates several burns on his face.

"Damn it, that hurt. Oh, don't worry, I'll be okay. I won't be hurrying to use that spell again."

He nods at the wisdom of Hadrian's suggestion that they should rest before proceeding, conscious of the depletion of his spells.

Then Abben points out the herlekin's continued presence in this plane, and Jonas frowns with concern. "That's not... that shouldn't be happening. If they've not been summoned to this plane, then either they're native to this plane, or somewhere there is a breach between planes. And everything I've read tells me herlekins are not of this plane."

esorscher
2016-09-22, 05:39 PM
The goliath smiles at Hadrian when he sees him. It is not a pretty sight. "Agreed," Madclaw says to Abben. "We should bring these bodies with us. They were no doubt posted as advance sentries, and leaving them here will be more of an alert to our intentions than taking them with us. Also, if they have some regenerative capabilities, we should find that out on the way back. You never know with these types of things."

dantiesilva
2016-09-22, 11:57 PM
So many questions with no obvious answers presenting themselves. Herlekin were from Hell, the first layer of hell Avernus if you are not mistaken. Where most of the fighting of the Blood War, an ancient war between demons and devils has been wagged since the dawn of time. So how was it even possible for these creatures to still be here, could there be a breach somehow inside the tunnels connecting the two planes of existence together, or something worse? All that is certain at this moment is the fact you are all very drained from this day, and if you do not rest no doubt you will never be able to solve this mystery.

Between Abben and Madclaw the two are quick to find a place relatively safe to sleep that was still close enough to the cave entrance that you wouldn't get lost finding it the next morning. A small little cave due west from where you had just come, and with a small lake close enough to fill your waterskins with. Its no wounder the dwarves had chosen this place as their base of operations with so many natural resources so close at hand.

Day 2

The entire night goes off without an incident, no doubt if anyone had gone looking for the missing guards they were looking for a torch or campfire to show them where their foe was, not expecting the ones who attacked them to be able to see in the dark for the most part. As you all awaken and prepare for the next day you can not help but notice the lack of the sounds of nature, the only sound able to be heard is the constant tapping of a pick on rock. And while it is still in the distance, it does seem closer than the night before when you all went to sleep, each taking a short shift overnight so that you could all get a much needed rest.

ilinares
2016-09-23, 03:50 AM
Studying his spellbook, Jonas is careful to choose reliable spells with no risk of the backlash he experienced yesterday. He is by nature averse to risk, and the lightning bolt from the blue has shaken his confidence.

Once satisfied, he rises and waits for the others to signal their readiness.

Is it assumed we're fully healed?
Also, declaring that I'll use my immediate magic acf if I'm about to be hit by a melee attack today.

esorscher
2016-09-23, 08:13 AM
Madclaw begins the day with his usual exercise routine, running and jumping and stretching out his muscle fibers so that they will be ready for use when the need arises. He drinks his waterskin empty and then refills it from the clear water nearby.

gallagher
2016-09-23, 10:29 AM
I do not know how you deal with overnight healing, but I was going to expend my spell power to heal up the allies before we rested for the evening. I'll roll for that now -

Madclaw: CLW - [roll0]
Hadrian: CLW - [roll1]
Jonas: Heal 2 HP from two castings of cure minor wounds.

Abben arises at dawn, preparing his spells for the day in the hopes that he can better protect his friends this time around than last. So what today? He asks openly to the group at large.

Timble
2016-09-23, 05:01 PM
Hadrian goes through his morning meditation ritual, slowly ringing his bell as he attempted to focus.

[roll0]

"Well now we need to check out the mines." Hadrian said in answer to Abben. "All we know is that they may have come from there. We have now other clues to where they came from so we must clear the mines and stop whatever brings them to this world before they endanger anyone else."

esorscher
2016-09-23, 05:28 PM
Madclaw's stomach growls. "We should gather some food while we're above ground," he says, realizing he'd forgotten to bring any rations. "Otherwise, If we're down there for more than a day, we'll regret it." Unless someone objects to the time it will take, he spends some time looking around for any natural food sources the dwarves might have utilized, including whatever living things might be in the lake.

[roll0], take 10 if I can.

gallagher
2016-09-23, 08:38 PM
Abben nods at his brother, and takes a wider sweep of the area to forage. He held his sling out and moved as silently as possible, in case he came across any game to fill their breakfast.

Survival: [roll0]
MS: [roll1]

ilinares
2016-09-24, 05:18 PM
Jonas thinks of the trail rations in his pack, wondering why he alone seems to have planned ahead. Still, he says nothing as the other men hunt and forage, reasoning that fresh food should be preferred while available. Perhaps if he had the skill of living off the land, he too would take this relaxed attitude to rations.

While they are alone, he asks Hadrian, "You realise that this may be a trap? The herlekin are devils, not ravening demons. They might be the merest soldiers, but they are part of a hierarchy, which has goals, plans, leaders directing each action to achieve a definite end.

"It seems they have attacked the mine, driven survivors to flee for safety. It is conceivable that they merely pursued them, not knowing their destination - but it is also possible that they deliberately allowed some survivors to flee, deliberately sent soldier devils after them, in order to trigger a premature response.

"Now, that may be paranoid of me - but from what I have read, assuming a devil is acting fake some nefarious scheme is more likely to be true than assuming it's actions are random chance."

dantiesilva
2016-09-24, 10:54 PM
@Abben & Madclaw It is surpprising as the two of you go out hunting how little game you can find close to the cave, as if all the animals in the area moved away, to where you can not be sure though. A few tracks suggested a pack of wolves went in the direction of the town however that you both found as you went around gathering furits and berries for the most part. Madclaw catching a few fish for a quick morning breakfast for everyone with his brothers help.

@Hadrian & Jonas Alone to think about what you have learned so far you, and while it is not much the fact it seems the devils are coming from the cave is a popular belief shared between the two of you. However while one believes it to be a trap to lure others in, your friend believes it is simply an enemy to be defeated, find what was allowing the devils to cross into the prime, and destroy it. A simple plan against such a military style oppoenet could work. After all demons were creatures of chaos and thus the devils no doubt had adapted to fighting against such beasts. A foe striking at a target would no doubt prove much harder for them to track.

After one more post I will continue the story to the group either heading back to the mine to see what happened overnight, or follow after the wolf pack trail that seems to lead back to the village.

Timble
2016-09-25, 02:15 AM
Then should we return to the village?" Hadrian said. "We lack the preparation and numbers to scour the caves and I suppose we can't be sure that whatever summoned them is still in the area. The mines were guarded which suggests there is something to guard but killing them caused no response. Perhaps they were the only two there."

ilinares
2016-09-25, 03:35 AM
"No, I'm not necessarily suggesting we withdraw," Jonas replies. "As you say, we know nothing of their strength or disposition -we have nothing but my vague suspicions, which will not convince Abben or Madclaw to abandon those who might be trapped here. I just feel we should be on our guard."

esorscher
2016-09-25, 07:12 AM
"A welcome point you make, no doubt," Madclaw says. "In truth I am unfamiliar with the nuances of this issue. Devil, demon, to me, they are just two sides of the same coin. If it is as you say and we are dealing with a hierarchical organization, I am very afraid that they seek to use this mine as a toehold into our world. Who knows how far underground they can dig and then tunnel up and strike any city unawares? This is a grave threat to our world that demands action. I only hope that the action we can perform is sufficient." he says, knowing of no other heroic sources that could help them.

gallagher
2016-09-25, 02:19 PM
We can at the very least explore a short way into the cave, to see what we may find out, and then return to town with our findings. Abben suggests, trying to reconcile everyone's concerns.

dantiesilva
2016-09-25, 08:35 PM
Deciding to return back to the cave, and not worry about the wolves at this time, you all finish eating the food gathered by the two brothers before heading back to the mines. An easy task given how perfect of a spot the two had picked the night before to camp in. As you all grow closer and closer to the mines you can clearly hear the sound of picks hammering away at rock, growing louder and louder the closer you get to the mine.

And as you get just within eyeshot of the mines it becomes clear why, with all the loud noise from the picks slamming against the rocky tunnel entrance the four pot bellied creatures have not seen you. From the looks of it they appear to be dwarves with long hair, however what happened to the devils from the night before that you were told were attacking the place? And why were they all seeming to hack away at the entrance of the cave, almost as if they were trying to make additions to the opening like guard barracks or something similar? Also why were they all dressed in a simple lioncloth like thing, with only bracers on their arms? Surely miners needed to wear more than that to be protected from falling rocks.

As you look closely you notice, hidden amidst the long hair two horns sticking out of the tops of each of these creatures heads.

esorscher
2016-09-25, 08:56 PM
"These are not dwarves, they are devils," Madclaw whispers, pointing to his forehead where horns would be. "Unless dwarves have horns."Holding his quarterstaff in hand, he approaches as stealthily as possible, hoping to avoid attracting notice. If he is spotted, he will act very friendly and wave, as though he believes their ruse.

Hide/Move Silently
Hide: [roll0]
MS: [roll1]

LOL 20, 1, 2

Timble
2016-09-26, 07:59 AM
"Are you sure?" Hadrian whispered. "I can't see anything unusual."
Still, trusting in his friend, he summoned up a defensive power and attempted to gain focus. His ranged combat had failed and if he was to attempt to use his melee skills he would need his powers active.

Inertial armour.
Gain Focus: [roll0]

ilinares
2016-09-26, 08:42 AM
Duly forewarned, Joras casts Mage Armour and readies himself for the inevitable chaos of battle.

gallagher
2016-09-26, 08:53 AM
Abben saves his spell power, and instead prepares to rush in with his brother to battle the not-dwarves.

dantiesilva
2016-09-26, 08:53 PM
@Hadrian & Jonas As you look on at the four creatures Madclaw is saying are devils, and that they have horns atop their heads you look back at the creatures in confusion, before turning back to Madclaw. He could be being paronied and seeing devil's everywhere after what happened the day before, however it is always better to be safe rather than sorry. And so the two of you focus on the abilities you had learned, whether through the enlightenment of a monetarist, or a school of magic.

For a brief second the image of a chain shirt made of pure magic surrounds Jonas, before vanishing from the sight of the untrained eye. However no doubt the effect was still there, whatever he had done, and just as powerful as it had been when it first revealed itself. For Hadrian it is much different as an aura seems to surround his body, and while it sheds light, it is no where near bright enough to alert anyone of your presence, all the while the monk kept his eyes closed trying to find his inner peace....

@Party

However just as Hadrian believed he had found it, Madclaws moving around wacks him in the back of the head with his quaterstaff on aciddent as he tries to pull himself out of a bush he got stuck in. It is at that moment two of the creatures turn around, having heard the disturbance and look around, finding Madclaw making his way through the bush with ease now, his brother not far behind him.

One of the two taps on the shoulders of his fellow workers and points at the two warrior brothers of old, walking up to the cave like they owned it, and nothing was going to stop them. However the other one was being much smarter as he lifted his pick up and seemed to tap the cave wall which caused a very loud word to be repeated over and over in infernal, the echos seeming to make the words louder than they already were.

Spellcraft check to ID what was used
For those who speak infernal the word is Intruders!
Knowledge the Planes check to ID the enemies
Initiative please
Also sorry tried to find an image of the creature but well its name makes that rather difficult.

So it seems Madclaw was telling the truth as these ugly fat devils seem to turn around. While they look much like dwarves with long hair from behind, as they now face you with their claw like hands, and hocked nose it is clear these creatures are not dwarves. Even their beards are more like wires coming off of their chin, though very long wires, still wires.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=184553)

ilinares
2016-09-27, 11:22 AM
Forgot to roll these OOC, so:

Spellcraft [roll0]
Knowledge: The Planes [roll1]

Jonas grits his teeth at what is obviously an alarm, and wonders briefly what possessed him to prepare two burning hands spells when facing devils - creatures notoriously immune to fire.

Still, there is little time to reflect as the situation swiftly dissolves into mayhem...

esorscher
2016-09-27, 08:29 PM
The identity of these creatures matter little to Madclaw as he flies into a rage, then charges the right flank. These beings would pay for their crimes.

Rage, Pounce, Charge, TWF:

[roll0], [roll1]; [roll2], [roll3]

dantiesilva
2016-09-27, 08:40 PM
@Madclaw Learning from the events of yesterday you do not hold back as you charge forward at these new enemies, your muscles beginning to bulge even greater than normal as the adrenaline in your blood kicks into overdrive as everything begins to take on a red hue. Charging forward, quaterstaff in hand, you reach the ugly looking dwarf like creature before it even had a moment to grasp what was going on, your staff slamming with so much force into the creature that you watch its jaw unhinge before it drops dead. However your second attack was already in full motion, and to late to stop as it continues it path, slamming the second beast with bone crushing force where the shoulder meets the neck. And with a satisified smile you watch as both collapse at your feet very much dead.

@ Party You had all heard of the feats of strength the brothers Madclaw and Abben were able to accomplish, however what Madclaw just did seemed impossible. Not only had he taken out a single devil in a matter of a few seconds, but he had killed two of them, with a stick. Imagine what an axe in his hands would be like for a poor tree.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=184680)

Madclaw & Jonas
Devils
Hadrian & Abben

ilinares
2016-09-28, 02:18 AM
Drawing on his instinctive skill at enchantment, Jonas begins shaping the complex magic of a Sleep spell. It will be several seconds before it takes effect, but with luck, it should subdue a few of the creatures.

dantiesilva
2016-09-28, 10:54 AM
@Jonas Sure Madclaw had his way of doing things, and you had your own as you begin softly chanting the words to a spell that would put most creatures under a magical sleep for a short period of time. It may not be as long term as Madclaws idea of putting them deep in the ground, however he was a brute, you were a practiceinor of the arcane arts.

@ The party It is clear that the devils that just watched Madclaw kill two of their allies with ease are unnerved by the goliath as they both look at each other and say something in that infernal language of theirs, pointing at Abben the entire time. Shaking their heads, they both lift their picks up and charge at the human brother, hoping to put some distance between themselves and the edevil slayer up above.

Attack 22 Damage 5

Attack 9 Damage 5

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=184725)

Madclaw & Jonas
Devils
Hadrian & Abben

gallagher
2016-09-28, 01:03 PM
Abben hops backwards, landing with his plant foot already digging into the ground to help stabilize before his attack. With his glaive, he attempts to throw the left-most devil to the ground so as to keep the threats of harm away from his less robust friends, and allowing Madclaw a clear channel to his next, still standing target.

He swings the hook of his weapon behind his enemy's knee, and if successful will attempt jam it into the devil's stomach.

Trip Touch Attack: [roll0]
Trip Strength Check: [roll1]
(if successful) follow up attack: [roll2]
If Crit, To Confirm: [roll3]
Crit damage: [roll5]

Timble
2016-09-28, 06:08 PM
Moving closer to the nearest enemy, Hadrian once again tries to draw on his power. If he didn't get it this time he would have to go without it.

Focus: [roll0]
Moved one space up and one space right so should be just above Jonas and not adjacent to the foe.
Hooray, I have focus.

dantiesilva
2016-09-28, 08:31 PM
Moving to protect his fellow friends, Abben steps back, sqquaring his body off to make sure no enemy could pass him to get to his allies before swinging his blade wide at the creatures feet. Even though you have used this trick many times, no enemy has been able to stand against your powers as you feel the blade connect just behind the devils knee and pull with all your might. Unbalanced the creature tips over onto its back, where you proceed to jab into the creatures stomach, killing it instantly as you feel your blade hit the dirt on the other side of the creatures body, pulling the blades tip back out as black blood oozes from the devils now dead body.

Hadrian seeming to finally have found his focus in the heat of battle moves forward to help protect Jonas from any incoming attacks from the lone remaing enemy.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=184778)

Madclaw & Jonas (Keep in mind your sleep spell will go into effect this round)
Devils
Hadrian & Abben

ilinares
2016-09-29, 02:17 AM
Eyes closed, flickering behind the eyelids as though in deep sleep, Jonas tracks the flows of magic as they form a subtle web of soporific compulsion. His free hand directs a wayward strand into place, and he utters the last syllable of this most efficient enchantment.

Then, opening his eyes, he looks for a target...

Ah. It seems that, while he was distracted, the brothers have slain all but one of the foes. Slightly disappointed, Jonas sends the enchantment at the last of them and prepares to react quickly if it does not fall.

Sleep - Will DC15 or the last devil falls unconscious (and no doubt suffers a swift coup de grace from one of the brothers!)

Delaying the rest of my turn until just before the devil acts, to see what happens in the meantime.

esorscher
2016-09-29, 08:22 AM
Madclaw waits for Jonas's spell before charging in, wielding his quarterstaff in both hands for a single powerful strike against the enemy, asleep or awake.

Charge, Rage: [roll0], [roll1]

dantiesilva
2016-09-29, 11:00 AM
@Jonas as the final words of your spell are spoken you open your eyes and look around the battlefield, looking for the target of your spell's effect. Only a few moments ago there were two left remaining, however as you open your eyes to see the last devil very close to you, having only Abben and Hadrian there to keep you safe while you finished your spell, you let it fly over to the devil. Its an amusing sight to see as the devil looks at the magic flying towards it and tries to swat it away, however in doing so he only seals his fate as your spell wraps around his body like a thick fog, and seconds later he sound of snoring can be heard from the creature on the floor.

@Party The sound of a snoring devil is not something enjoyable, like broken glass being spun around over and over again against rocks. Madclaw wanting to finish this creature before he became to tired lifts his quaterstaff up behind his head and slams it down as hard as he can, crushing the devils windpipe, and killing it instantly.

150exp each

As the last enemy has fallen you all get a moment to breath as you look around the cave entrance, no one seems to be coming, though their is no way that whatever is down in the cave didn't hear that alarm. The day has just begun and already a major fight has taken place, how many more of these could you withstand before needing to rest again?

ilinares
2016-09-29, 11:48 AM
Stupid font button, will fix it when I can!

"Well, they know we're here," Jonas observes dryly. "No sense giving them time to prepare. Let's check if these knockers had anything of use and carry on."

Following his own advice, he starts searching the nearest devil.

[roll0]

esorscher
2016-09-29, 05:22 PM
Madclaw rushes into the cave, hoping to find more enemies in his bloodlust, unless his passions have already cooled, in which case he moves closer to the mouth of the cave and gazes inside watchfully.

Not sure how long that battle was but rage lasts for 9 rounds, I think he has about 30-40 seconds of rage left.

dantiesilva
2016-09-29, 08:13 PM
Jonas as you search the bodies all you can find is the obvious pick they were using and the simple leather bracers they wore around their wrists. Nothing magical in any nature. However it seems like Madclaw has other ideas in his mind instead of searching the bodies as he rushes forward into the cave. Once inside he has to take a sharp right turn before coming across two different paths to take, he could go and take another right, ending up who knows where, or he could continue down the path he was on and hopefully find another enemy to kill soon.

Map

If you wish you can change the patern in which you all move, however it seemed the most practical so just let me know if you want me to change it.

The stone walls of the cave have been made to almost resemble a persons home, you note as you all look down the corridors seeing the beautiful stonework that only a dwarf could make everywhere. However here and their it seems like someone has been trying to tare down the walls to get to something perhaps, or maybe just to destroy what the dwarves had created.

esorscher
2016-09-29, 08:24 PM
Madclaw continues to dash forward, moving his maximum speed as he barrels through the dungeon, until he sees or otherwise senses an obstacle.

I moved him 45' to the bend at the end of this hallway, but he still has 75' of movement if he is running. 120'/ round

dantiesilva
2016-09-29, 08:37 PM
@Madclaw Rushing ahead of the party, not giving them a chance to keep up, you sprint down the hallway you are in, looking for some kind of doorway, however find none as you reach the end of the hall which turns right. Looking down the hall you notice it seems to go on forever, who knows how far the dwarves had dug their mine in all of these years. However twenty feet down and to your right seems to be another side passage. One of these turns have to lead to rooms, just which one?

@The rest of the party As you enter the mine, you all watch Madclaw sprint off on his own, leaving you all behind as he rushes foward, even though an alarm had been set off by the enemies you fought outside. You can only hope he doesn't get himself killed in his haste.

Using tactical movement for this, that way we can keep track of Madclaws turns left before rage expires. He spent his full turn (Once he uses the last of his movement) moving around. That makes it everyone elses turn.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=184830)

esorscher
2016-09-29, 08:48 PM
Madclaw moves 20' and looks in the room before deciding where to continue next (55' left). If he sees a hallway leading to a room he will head for the room.

map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=184831)

dantiesilva
2016-09-29, 09:27 PM
@Madclaw as you try to open the wooden door on your right, you notice the great work put into it's creation as you turn the nob. But as you try to turn it you notice that it is not turning, that the door has infact been locked from the inside no doubt, or with some kind of master key.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=184836)

If you all note some of the areas that have been exposed due to madclaws exploring have been slightly covered up, this is because while they have been seen, at the moment no one can see down those hallways and such, meaning it is effectively a blind area once again. Kind of like how when you play Warcraft, or age of empires and your troops leave an area you do not have anything built in, it returns to a fog of war type thing, however it leaves what you saw at the time their feature wise.

Also I know Goliath's have darkvision, as does Jonas. If you do not have darkvision however you can not see down here as their is no light at the moment.

esorscher
2016-09-29, 09:31 PM
Madclaw comes to a screeching halt and takes a few hopping steps before spinning 270', cutting at a right angle and pushing off in a sprint back to a previously held position, in sight of the rest of the group. "Hurry!" he calls out to them, hoping to keep his blood pumping as he spins his quarterstaff.

map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=184837)

Timble
2016-09-29, 10:43 PM
Knowing that they had to keep the group together for safety, Hadrian starts to move in but stops to wait for the others before continuing.

First move action to get as far in as possible with one move.
Second move action for when the others follow and is to continue towards Madclaw.

gallagher
2016-09-29, 11:54 PM
Abben holds back with Jonas, casting Light upon his guisarme before following his brother

ilinares
2016-09-30, 02:24 AM
Jonas sighs. "Not entirely what I had in mind, but one cannot fault his spirit."

Tapping a finger against the reassuring planes of his unseen armour, Jonas pursues Madclaw with all haste. He is nonetheless trying to stick to where the Goliath has already stepped - and offers a silent prayer to whatever benevolent god might be listening that there are no traps.

Once he reaches the locked door (and assuming Madclaw hasn't simply battered it down), he produces a set of thieves' tools and looks for any traps, and any means of opening it from this side.

[roll0] to search the door.
[roll1] to open the lock, if that proves possible from this side.

dantiesilva
2016-09-30, 12:11 PM
As the group finally comes together, Abben casting a spell upon his weapon allowing him to see, they all make their way to the door, where Jonas begins to work at the lock, trying to open it from this side. However whatever he is doing does not seem to be working as when he tries to turn the nob, it doesn't open.

Thankfully nothing has found you yet, but it is still only a matter of time until you no doubt run into something walking around these halls.

This would mean Madclaw has 6 rounds of rage left before his rage wears off
Thankfully failure dose not cause anything bad with open lock checks
Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=184900)
No devils have spotted you this round.

ilinares
2016-10-03, 02:59 AM
Jonas conveys his inability to open the door to the others with a shrug, and prepares to follow Madclaw wherever the mad barbarian's fury next carries him.

esorscher
2016-10-03, 07:58 AM
Madclaw's barbarian fury leads him through the door, quite literally, as he charges into it, attempting to smash it down.

I have never tried to smash a door in DnD before. Not sure what to roll.

Strength: [roll0]
2hand Attack with Quarterstaff: [roll1], [roll2]

gallagher
2016-10-03, 10:51 AM
The direct route? I like it. Abben chides his adoptive brother playfully, keeping his eyes darting around to see if anything comes to investigate the noise from Madclaw's attempts to burst the door open.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

dantiesilva
2016-10-03, 11:28 AM
Jonas not wanting to waste time trying to open the door again, you step aside allowing Madclaw to go the more direct route. And so as Madclaw barrels into the door it seems to buckle straight off of its hinges and go flying backwards into the room, very much broken. As Abben checks on his brother and pokes his head inside the room he notes another one of those devils from the entrance in this simple stone room, bits of debris cover the floor where a big hole comes out of the east wall, as if it were trying to carve through it before you all barged in.

@Abben As you enter the room you can hear the faint sound of bat like wings in the distance, they seem to be coming closer as well.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=185404)

Initiative
Knocker 9
Whiptail 7

esorscher
2016-10-03, 01:07 PM
Madclaw steps forward to engage the Knocker with both ends of his quarterstaff.

5' step, full attack. [roll0], [roll1]; [roll2], [roll3]

dantiesilva
2016-10-03, 08:23 PM
@ The group

Whether it be a door or a devil it seemed to make no difference to Madclaw as his first swing swung wide, missing the Knocker devil. However with a slight adjustment to his attack the backswing caught the beast in its kneecaps, shattering them as it collapses to the floor very much dead. With the threat dead you have the entire room to explore if you so choose. In the back right corner you can see a bunch of crude beds shoved into the corner with a footlocker for each bed close beside them.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=185470)

Initative
Madclaw
Abben
Whiptail

4 rounds of rage used so far

gallagher
2016-10-04, 12:07 AM
Abben, conscious that he heard something coming from behind them, moves to take the rear position to protect the less martially adept of the party. moving past Hadrian and Jonas, he sees the flying devil before him and strikes out against the creature with as much haste and force that he can manage.

POWER ATTACK!
[roll0]
[roll1]

dantiesilva
2016-10-04, 11:29 AM
@Abben Having heard a sound coming from the corridor you had entered from you walk back outside to protect the others. And as soon as you wrap around the corner you see it, a strange looking creature indeed. Its body looking like the thigh bone of a human, with a scorpions tail coming out where a mortals tailbone should be. No legs of any kind seem to be present, however a gaping maw of sharp teeth, and big bulging eyes stair back at you.

Better not give it a chance to use that stringer you think as you step around the corner and use the long reach of your weapon to strike out at it. Its an ear piercing screech that fills your ears as the blade stabs into the creatures mouth as it opens it, cutting straight through the back of the creature, killing it instantly.

Flying Rats and Baseball Bats 113exp

Timble
2016-10-04, 06:17 PM
Seeing Madclaw go one way and Abben go the other, Hadrian stopped to listen. Both had seemed to kill their targets, so he decided to follow Madclaw in.
The dead demon had left a hole in the wall, the demons outside had also been digging. It seemed unlikely that the demons were interested in simple mining, he would need to investigate this further.

Moves up to where the demon was digging. I think it was the east wall.
Spot [roll0]
Looking for anything unusual.

esorscher
2016-10-04, 06:29 PM
Madclaw nods his thanks at Hadrian's approach, and joins in his search, saying, "Your eyes are sharper than mine, what do you see?"

Spot: [roll0] aid another
Search: [roll1] aid another

dantiesilva
2016-10-04, 07:51 PM
@ Hadrian & Madclaw as the two of you go over to examine the wall that the devil had been working on you note light seeming to bounce off of parts of the wall, a shiny metal object dug deep into the wall. Perhaps iron, or copper, or maybe something else. One could not be sure however without knowing what to look for as a miner.

I have never mined so can't exactly describe this so sorry, basically you see what looks like streams of metal in the wall, veins if you will. the light shining off of it, mixed with it still being in the wall is making it hard to tell what kind of metal. (Iron, mithral, platinum, silver, would all mostly look the same at this point.

esorscher
2016-10-04, 07:55 PM
"Looks like metal ore," Madclaw says. "Makes sense." He heads back out into the hallway. "This is a good position to fall back to when we need to rest, it is defensible with only one entrance and exit. I would prefer someplace with a second entrance and exit in case we are cornered but let us press onward regardless, there are certainly more devils to slay in this place."

gallagher
2016-10-04, 08:01 PM
Abben takes a short moment to search the devil in front of him before returning to his party in the room. I only have a few minutes with this light spell, and I have another prepared to find our way back. If we overstay my limits, I fear you are the only one that can see in the dark, brother. Does anyone have a torch?

dantiesilva
2016-10-04, 08:05 PM
Sorry I forgot there is a bit more in the room you noticed

As you continue to explore the room you scrummage through the chests, and while most are empty or filled with little keepsakes not worth carrying a few have some coin held within, and another holds a bottle filled with a red liquid that smells of apricots.

200gp total
1 bottle of red liquid that smells strongly of apricots.

esorscher
2016-10-04, 08:21 PM
Madclaw defers to the others to deal with such spoils, though such a gold amount seems an obvious division to a mind such as his own, he has no idea what to do with the liquid inside the potion bottle, if such an assumption can be made. "I obviously did not think to bring such a thing, brother, though I will be sure to buy one for us when we return to town. If this is to be a cursory examination of the mine, let us move quickly, and at least clear this floor of its devilish presence. The devils we slay today, we will not need to slay tomorrow, especially if their bodies remain as we have seen many of these do."

ilinares
2016-10-05, 03:38 AM
Jonas considers the metal ore, shrugging.

"I can create lights for you that will last a few more minutes when that one fails," he offers. "I myself have little need of light, so it did not occur to me to prepare for others' limits. My apologies."

He signals to Madclaw to lead on. "Let the most robust of us lead the way," he says wryly, kicking the devil's corpse by way of contributing to the fight.

dantiesilva
2016-10-05, 08:33 PM
Magic was always a fickle thing, it came when it was not needed with ease, but when the need was dire it was often as illusive as a waking dream. Deciding not to tempt the fates having only one such spell left that would allow anyone to see in this dwarven mine you press on as a group. However there were still so many places to go, where should you start first? Should you begin back tracking the way you came, or perhaps push further into the dwarven mine, that now served as their tomb, or at least it would if you were able to find any bodies.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=185648)

Doesn't matter who decides to move, just know you are still using tactial movement so you can only move so far in your turn this way we can keep madclaws rage going as long as possible for his benefit. I hope everyone has updated their sheets accordingly as things are going to get more difficult now that all but madclaw have leveled up.

gallagher
2016-10-07, 10:18 AM
We have time to press on, surely, let us just not overstay our welcome. It would be rude. Abben suggests wryly, but hiding the fact that this cave caused him some anxiety. Are these devils trying to inhabit our world? Why here? Take the lead, brother! I'll watch our back.

esorscher
2016-10-07, 09:38 PM
Madclaw presses onward, (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=185860) moving around the corner once it is clear until he reaches the end of his movement, or, more likely based on what he can see, another fork.

dantiesilva
2016-10-07, 11:36 PM
Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=185871)

Hide check enemy 1 [roll0]
Hide check enemy 2 [roll1]
Hide Check Enemy 3 [roll2]

It has now been 7 Rounds of Rage

As the group continues to follow Madclaw you can all note the steady change from what seemed to be living area's for the dwarves to the mine section. As the hewn stone walls that were almost perfectly smooth besides where one of the devils with the pick had seemed to try and break through the wall. Now as you walk all the walls seem to be lined with that strange silvery material that reflects the light of your light spell back at all of you.

In this part of the cave sounds seem to echo all around you making it impossible to tell if an enemy could be approaching or not.

esorscher
2016-10-08, 07:49 AM
"There are other paths I want to explore before we go deeper into the mine," Madclaw says, turning around and gesturing to the party to either head back the way they came, or move aside for him to lead them in that direction. Unless someone or something stops him, he will continue moving until he reaches the marked position. His intent is to see what is there, and then back away. map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=185896)

dantiesilva
2016-10-08, 09:25 PM
@Hadrian & Jonas prior to Madclaws movement

As the two of you look around, the sound of metal hitting rock all around you, the two of you notice two of those devils known as Herlekin approaching from both sides, as if to trap you all in this hallway. It seems however Madclaw and Abben are oblivious to this fact as the creatures advance.

@ Party As half of you get ready to move back to earlier passageways, a bone like tail comes out of the darkness, aiming directly at Abben who is caught off guard by this sudden attack, as this bony tail tries to find a weak point in his armor.

Attack 23vs Flat footed 2 Damage and Fort DC 10 vs stun

However the surprise attacker does not seem to be done yet, as its wicked gaping maw comes into full view, revealing the same kind of creature Abben had fought only moments before.

Attack 6 vs flat footed (8 if you failed your save vs stun) 3 damage

Everyone roll initiative now. I will use this one for the rest of the map unless things change.
Jonas 22
Unknown Enemy & Madclaw 21
Abben 19
Hadrian 18
Herlekin 1 10
Herlekin 2 7

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=186164)

ilinares
2016-10-09, 03:00 AM
Posting now since I have a few minutes and it's unlikely anyone will beat Jonas's natural 20

"Look out!" Jonas belatedly exclaims. Turning to the herlekin on his left, he snaps off a series of words and gestures, ending in a bolt of force that strikes the creature unerringly.

Magic missile for [roll0] force damage.

dantiesilva
2016-10-09, 07:06 PM
I am assuming you mean Herlekin 1, its a narrow passage with a infront and behind, no left or right however.

Calling forth a warning to everyone who had not seen the creature with a bone like tail attack Abben, Jonas launches a bolt of pure magical force at the herlekin standing in Madclaws way. The attack leaves a burn mark on the creatures chest, however it seems to take very little notice of it. Thats when from behind the screaching of that strange creature comes once more as it tries to kill Abben from behind, flying just above the herlekins head standing behind the group.

Attack 14 Damage 3 DC 10 fortitude save if hit

As the creatures tail distracts Abben it flies forward above the warrior and tries to bite onto Hadrian waiting head, however it seems that the stretch is to far for the creature as it is not able to reach its new prey without exposing itself to attack.

As you look up at the winged creature you remember the stories your mentor used to tell you, about creatures who spent all day long feasting upon the dead flesh of the Lord of all Devils himself. It is said because of this they have become much more powerful than other devils of their rank, however their intelligence is not as high as others. Like most devils these Whiptails, as they are refered to by scholars on your world, are immune to everything a normal devil is. On top of that its tail holds a deadly poison able to stun creatures for a single round. What is odd however is that these creatures are said to like bats come in groups, and this one is alone. And Most people believe these beings to simply be legends, none have been known to ever be able to summon such a beast before.

Jonas 22
Abben 19
Hadrian 18
Herlekin 1 10
Herlekin 2 7

gallagher
2016-10-10, 12:25 AM
Abben is unwilling to just let this creature to fly over him to attack his friends. Abben lunges forward to put some extra strength into his attack, and swings the glowing, deadly end of his guisarme at the devil in a chopping motion, attempting to knock him into the ground.

Knock down lets me get an auto-trip attempt on any attack that deals 10 damage or more. I am subtracting 1 from my BAB for power attack
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Potential Crit confirm and damage: [roll2] [roll3]

Trip Touch Attack (with power attack accounted for): [roll4]
Trip check: [roll5]

Attack from Improved Trip: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]

esorscher
2016-10-10, 08:09 AM
Madclaw attends to the devil in front of him, beating it senseless with both ends of his quarterstaff, or at least attempting to.

Full attack: [roll0], [roll1]; [roll2], [roll3]

dantiesilva
2016-10-10, 10:01 PM
As Madclaw once again brings his quaterstaff down upon the devil before him, he proves why he is known for his prodigious strength, the strength of a lion no less as his foe falls to the ground very much dead after the two quick strikes from his quaterstaff. However that was only one enemy, there were still two more and neither was close to the goliath.

One however was close to his adopted brother Abben, and like his brother he shows a strength that this flying devil seems unable to avoid as his weapon cuts a deep gash into one of its wings, grounding it, however it is not dead yet, as its very life blood seems to trickle out of the wound inflicted upon it by Abben's guisarme.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=186343)

Jonas 22
Abben 19
Hadrian 18
Herlekin 2 7

Timble
2016-10-11, 06:14 AM
Seeing his friends were engaged in combat with the other demons, Hadrian moves towards the last herlekin to keep it occupied.
Focussing his psionic abilities into his fist, he strikes out at the devil.

Moved towards last herlekin.
Flurry of blows for a second attack, the first one is psionically charged.
Attack 1: [roll0]
Psionic Fist: [roll2]
Attack 2: [roll3]

dantiesilva
2016-10-11, 11:28 AM
Hadrian trying to support Abben and show why you were brought along on this track you fight back to back with the barbarian as your fist tries to find an opening in the Herlekins defense. Finally after one failed swing it opens up its flank to you and you reward it with a sharp kick to the ribs as you feel a few bones shatter under the strength behind your kick. However the beast is not down yet.

Nore does it seem to happy as it strikes out with an impressive bought of strength, as you watch the very air its fork like weapon tries to pierce your skin.

Attack 17 Damage 12

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=186382)
Jonas 22
Unknown Enemy (13 damage) & Madclaw 21
Abben 19
Hadrian 18
Herlekin 2 7 (8 Damage)

ilinares
2016-10-11, 11:46 AM
"Damn it, why did I think burning hands was a good idea?"

With a swift gesture, Jonas sends his second and last magic missile at the herlekin who just wounded Hadrian. He can only hope his friend is all right after such a grievous blow.

[roll0] force damage.

esorscher
2016-10-12, 06:28 PM
Madclaw squeezes past Jonas to stand behind Abben and Hadrian. "Get behind me, Hadrian!" he calls out, urging the squishy and vulnerable man to a safer position.

dantiesilva
2016-10-12, 10:47 PM
Jonas as you begin to question why you had asked for so many spells this day that would not work against creatures of the diabolic nature you feel the strong reassuring presence of Madclaw beside you as he asks for Hadrian who was badly wounded by the last creature to get behind him so he could better protect you all. However before your two friends have a chance to switch places you watch the winged creature you know all to well about begin flapping its wings once more to get off of the ground, before its tail tries to launch out at the weakest member of the group, Hadrian.

It seems however it has taken more damage then the creature wants to let on as the tail flies well above its intended target to harmlessly strike the air.

Jonas 22
Abben 19
Hadrian 18
Herlekin 2 7 (11 Damage)

gallagher
2016-10-13, 06:51 PM
Abben sees the creature start to feel pain with the blows landed upon it, and hopes to finish it off before it could further hurt his friends.

Crit rolls: [roll2] for [roll3] + [roll4] damage

If more than ten damage, trip touch attack: [roll5]
trip check: [roll6]

If trip is successful, extra attack: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8]
Crit rolls: [roll9] for [roll10] + [roll11] damage

dantiesilva
2016-10-13, 07:48 PM
Abben it is with a mighty strike that the devil before you crumbles to the ground, its black blood staining the stone floor, leaving only the winged enemy left.

Jonas 22
Abben 19
Hadrian 18

Timble
2016-10-14, 12:17 AM
"I'm fine," Hadrian said as he tried to remain calm. The devil's weapon had come close.
Seeing one monster struck down, he strikes out at the last one.

I think Abben was targeting the winged thing rather then the herlekin. Either one should be in range or require a 5 foot step, so attacking remaining foe.
Attack 1:
[roll0]
[roll1]
Attack 2:
[roll2]
[roll3]

dantiesilva
2016-10-17, 12:09 PM
A few more inches and who knows what would have happened, however thanks to your training in the ways of enlightenment it seems the devil's weapon was unable to touch your body as it simply glided off of your skin, not even leaving a scratch where the blade touched your skin. With the enemies weapon still up close you try to slam down on the creatures hands to make it release the weapon, however it sees this coming and begins to pull the weapon back. The first attack was only a ploy though as your right fist hocks around the creatures skull and knocks it square in the face. A few pointed teeth seem to go flying from the creatures mouth as it tries to remain standing, using its weapon to support its weight. However even this is not able to help it, as the beasts collapses to the cavern floor dead.

It may have seemed to everyone that Hadrian was ill fit for this job, given his lack of abilities in the other fights however here and now he has proven he is just as strong as any of you. And just as commited to stopping this invasion, if it could be called such a thing.

A Rumble in the Tunnel
225exp for everyone except madclaw
300exp Madclaw

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=187445)

Jonas 22
Madclaw 21
Abben 19
Hadrian 18

What do you all do now?

PS combat was three rounds if I am not mistaken so I am pretty sure rage may have expired unless you have a really high con and extended rage it has been roughly 10 rounds since you started raging.

ilinares
2016-10-17, 03:47 PM
"Thank the gods," Jonas breathes, filled with relief at the sight of Hadrian unharmed.

He wants to tell his friend how he feared for him, how delighted he is to see the monk well, but the words catch in his throat. Instead, he sets about searching the bodies.

[roll0]

esorscher
2016-10-17, 06:10 PM
As Madclaws rage cools, he looks around, silently making sure that he has not killed any of his fellow party members. "Good work," he says to everyone. "Clearly these devils have taken hold here. We will need to work intentionally to clear these mines of their number, however great that may be."

gallagher
2016-10-18, 09:14 AM
That is a task that will require more than the light Jonas and I can conjure. We need to get torches before we explore the depths of the mine. Abben tries to sound as reasonable as he can, for being blinded by the darkness of a deep mine is a truly frightening prospect.

Is anybody harmed in a way that needs immediate attention? Abben says to his compatriots, as he inspects himself for wounds.

Timble
2016-10-18, 03:50 PM
Feeling the devil die, Hadrian collapsed to the floor. He hadn't quite recovered from how close the demon had come to stabbing him. Moving into a kneeling postion and closing his eyes, he allows himself a few seconds to relax and focus.

[roll0]

Still kneeling on the floor, he opens his eyes and looks around. "If we don't have the light then we should return. I still have the energy to continue exploring but we shouldn't risk being trapped in the dark with these monsters."

gallagher
2016-10-18, 04:03 PM
We have plenty left, Abben pauses as he considers how long ago he truly cast it, for now. I just dont want us to commit to delving too deep. Once this light goes out, we should start making our way back. That way, if an obstacle arises and my second Light goes out, Jonas can finish our return trip.

Madclaw was raging when I cast Light, and since he only just stopped his rage, less than a minute has passed. We have north of nine minutes of dungeon diving left before my suggested return time.

esorscher
2016-10-18, 06:35 PM
"Let's clear this floor, then return to town and report our progress as well as rest before moving further into the mines." Madclaw says, offering a plan that hopefully meets everyone's needs. He has no need for light, but the concern is a valid one for others.

dantiesilva
2016-10-18, 08:46 PM
Jonas as the others debate on whether to keep moving forward or retrire for the day you search the bodies for any sign of wealth. Once again however you only find the simple Military fork like weapons that the creatures known as the Herlekin wields.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=187690)

esorscher
2016-10-18, 08:52 PM
Once everyone is ready to go, Madclaw moves forward, cautiously leading the party further into the hallway, until he can peer around the corner to see what lay beyond.

about here (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=187691)

dantiesilva
2016-10-18, 09:09 PM
Madclaw moving foward expecting the others to follow you, you peer down the end of the corridor where you notice another doorway, and the tunnel again turning to the right.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=187692)

ilinares
2016-10-19, 03:10 AM
Jonas dutifully follows. He wonders briefly if he should be checking for traps, as his father taught him; but this is a mine, in constant use by a community of dwarves until recently. Traps seem unlikely.

Timble
2016-10-19, 05:15 AM
Following after Madclaw and the others, Jonas takes the time to try and gain focus.

[roll0]

esorscher
2016-10-19, 08:21 AM
Once the others have caught up, Madclaw moves forward to the fork in the hallway.

dantiesilva
2016-10-19, 11:01 AM
Just so everyone is aware I am going to assume everyone is using either the double move or run action for this round as its 75ft so far moved since the end of the fight. Just let me know which you want to do so I have an idea of how many more feet you can move before your total is up for a round.

As Madclaw moves to the end of the corridor with the rest of the party the group looks around his wide shoulders to see a short corridor, clearly this had to be close to the cave entrance because the stone work was rougher here then in other parts of the mine. Directly infront of Madclaw seems to be a wooden door, it seems strong and sturdy so far as doors go, but thats about it.

The stone passageway to the right of the Goliath warrior seems to turn left at the end of 20 short feet, however it can not go far given the fact you had just come from that direction a few moments ago. What to do now, try the door madclaw was standing in front of, or keep going on further into the mine?

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=187743)

ilinares
2016-10-19, 11:13 AM
Jonas produces his entirely legitimate and unsuspicious locksmith's tools. He searches the door briskly to check it isn't trapped, then (provided he finds nothing) checks if it is locked. If it is he then attempts to open the lock.

Search [roll0]
Open lock [roll1]

As implied above, disregard open lock attempt if he finds a trap. I'll then roll disable device instead.

dantiesilva
2016-10-19, 11:16 AM
Jonas as you search the door for any sign of traps, you are pleasantly surprised to see that it is not only free of traps, but also seems to be unlocked. All it would take is to turn the nob and open the door.

ilinares
2016-10-19, 11:34 AM
Inspired by Madclaw's brash charge, and conscious they have little time for debates, Jonas throws open the door and ducks quickly out of the way.

esorscher
2016-10-19, 06:23 PM
Madclaw burst through the door brandishing his quarterstaff as soon as Jonas steps aside, smiling at their synchronicity of thinking.

Timble
2016-10-20, 04:26 PM
Hadrian followed after them, making sure to stick near Jonas.

dantiesilva
2016-10-27, 07:59 PM
As our four young heroes rush into the room four of the solider devils turn to look at those who had entered their quaters. The bodies of dead dwarves were all over this room, and an unnatural cold seemed to penetrate the otherwise normal room.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=188759)

Jonas 22
Madclaw 21
Abben 19
Hadrian 18
Herlekins

ilinares
2016-10-28, 04:17 PM
Jonas starts casting the intricate sleep spell, careful to keep out of his allies' way.

esorscher
2016-10-30, 04:07 PM
Madclaw pounces on the nearest devil with his quarterstaff, repeating the tactic which has worked so well previously.

[roll0], [roll1]; [roll2], [roll3], AC 14 until next round.

gallagher
2016-10-30, 06:07 PM
After Jonas casts his spell, Abben shifts between Jonas and Hadrian to attack up front with his brother. Swinging at the knees of the enemy next to Madclaw's target, Abben attacks.

Power attack for 1
Potential Crit confirm and damage: [roll2] [roll3] [roll4]

Trip Touch Attack (with power attack accounted for): [roll5]
Trip check: [roll6]

Attack: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8]
Potential Crit confirm and damage: [roll9] [roll10] [roll11]

Timble
2016-10-31, 12:45 AM
Hadrian takes this moment to prepare, breathing in and focusing. He readies himself to defend.

Readying an attack against any monster that moves to attack him or Jonas that comes in range.
[roll1]
[roll2]
if he finds focus (20) he spends it to do further psionic damage
[roll3]
Will five foot step if necessary to defend Jonas.

dantiesilva
2016-11-01, 07:18 PM
Jonas as you begin to take the time to cast the powerful sleep spell, you step aside so that your allies may defend you while you work. This spell required much concentration and even the littlest disturbance could disturb it from being cast. From your spot you watch as MAdclaw steps foward to meet the enemy at the table before him, however his staff that has been soaked in blood after these many fights seems to slip from his hands. The goliath's luck has failed him it seems, you can only hope your allies do not have the same ill luck.

As critical fumbles go you had a rather normal one, dropping your weapon. Also you can not charge a 5ft. step so I believe your Ac should be normal if that is any prize.

Abben as you step foward to help your brother, and try and buy him time to pick up his weapon you swing your chain out, trying to wrap it around the devil's legs. However it seems these Herlekin are either well versed in being attacked by such weapons, or have been alerted to your fighting style as it steps on your chain, stopping its momentum before pulling its hoof back before you can harm it further.

Hadrian from the background you have watched most of these fights as the two warrior like brothers have made short work of these enemies, sure your ability to doge the blows of your enemies has been impressive, but it was still second to the raw power these two brought to the table. However as you know all to well luck can only last for so long, and as you watch the two brothers fail you focus your mind on proving beyoung a doubt that you are not to be underestimated. And rushing foward you lead with a flurry of blows so fast the devil soon loses sight of your attacks, thats when your true attack comes, as you kick the military fork out of the creatures hands before slamming your fist into its throat.

The devil seems caught off guard by such an attack, and you all watch with an amused look as the creature tries its hardest to breath for a few moments before passing out very much dead. From the corner of all of your eyes you notice a hairy human like hand reaching from under the table for the dropped weapon.

The three remaining devils turn to look at their fallen brother, before they each dig their claws into the fellow soldiers flesh, drinking in his blood. This sort of barbarism is unheard of among devils, however its effects are immediate as an effect much like Madclaws rage seems to take over them. Once finished with their share they all begin to move foward, closing the gap.

5ft. steps do not activate pounce which needs you to charge for my knowledge, and with a dropped weapon your second attack didn't matter.

Abben missed by a rather large margin, though thankfully one did die this round, once I am given the will DC I will roll for them as it will be a new round.

5ft. Steps also do not provoke attacks of opportunity, nor does their Blood Frenzy ability. So with that in mind here is the map and Round 2 has begun

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=189364)

Jonas 22
Madclaw 21
Abben 19
Hadrian 18
Herlekins

ilinares
2016-11-02, 12:28 PM
Jonas's incantation reaches a crescendo, and he weaves his fingers through the final gestures of the spell, directing its power to where it will affect as many of the devils as possible.

Will DC 15.

The young mage then focuses his attention on any devil still awake and unengaged, sending a bolt of acid towards it.

Acid splash on the nearest devil meeting those criteria (if none, delaying instead). Will roll in OOC.

gallagher
2016-11-02, 05:00 PM
Abben keeps his attention on the same devil that had just dodged his attacked, and swings once more with the same amount of force.

Do I not get an AoO for the whole "drink some blood" bit? if not, same as before: Power attack for 1
Potential Crit confirm and damage: [roll2] [roll3]

Trip Touch Attack (with power attack accounted for): [roll4]
Trip check: [roll5]

Attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]
Potential Crit confirm and damage: [roll8] [roll9]

dantiesilva
2016-11-02, 08:33 PM
As Jonas finishes his incantation, you all watch as a billowing cloud seems to try and seep into each of the devils bodies, after all even a devil needs to sleep at some point. However it does not seem that the devil's need to sleep yet as only the one in the center falls to such a spell. It is at that exact moment, as the beast begins to fall forward in its sleep that Abben thrusts his weapon forward, allowing the devil's weight to impale itself. Killing it instantly.

Only the enemy in the center failed its save and that happened to be the one Abben had attacked. Because it is unconscious it is an auto coup de grace which meant no matter what you rolled it would be dead. I really need to give these guys the boost of Ryl....

@Madclaw & Hadrian As the two of you watch a second of these hell beasts be brought down, you look at the remaining two, just waiting for you to attack. They so caught up in their own blood frenzy do not even notice their brothers death.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=189420)

esorscher
2016-11-02, 08:40 PM
Madclaw feels his blood boil as he brings his energy to bear against his enemy.

Full attack against the nearest enemy, 5' step or pounce if necessary. If pouncing, +2 to attack, -2 AC.

[roll0], [roll1]; [roll2], [roll3]

Timble
2016-11-03, 01:12 AM
Seeing one devil fall and another being engaged, Hadrian takes a moment to focus before stepping to strike the remaining foe.

5 foot step to foe.
Attack:
[roll1]
Had forgotten strength modifier
[roll2]
If focus gained (20) add this
[roll3]

dantiesilva
2016-11-03, 09:21 PM
@MAdclaw Taking a moment to pick up your quaterstaff that slipped from your hands moments ago you swing out at the devil before you. However even in its blood induced rage it seems nimble enough to dodge your incoming attack as it tries to return your attack with a jab of its own weapon.

Attack 13 Damage 13

@Hadrian While your first strike had been perfectly balanced, your entire body united as one, this attack is not so. As your body lashes out at the creature it continues to block your incoming attacks with its own weapon, jabbing out at you when it sees and opening.

Attack 22 Damage 13

@Party as you all face off against these Herlekin you are reminded of the battle back at the town and how much stronger they seemed to be after drinking even a little bit of blood. While magic is known to increase a man's strength no magical aura's seem to radiate off of these extraplanar beings, only the malice of the nine hells.

No changes to map

Jonas 22
Madclaw 21
Abben 19
Hadrian 18
Herlekins

gallagher
2016-11-04, 10:47 AM
Seeing both Hadrian and Madclaw get attacked, Abben decided to assist Hadrian (who was, after all, less likely to be able to handle such a vicious an attack). Abben attempts once more to attack with such force that he knocks the creature to the ground.

Still PA for 1
Potential Crit confirm and damage: [roll2] [roll]4d4+18/roll]

Trip Touch Attack (with power attack accounted for): [roll3]
Trip check: [roll4]

Attack: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]
Potential Crit confirm and damage: [roll7] [roll]4d4+18/roll]

esorscher
2016-11-04, 04:08 PM
Badly wounded, Madclaw responds with an attack of his own, hoping to end the fight as quickly as possible.

10/36 HP, full attack: [roll0], [roll1]; [roll2], [roll3]

Timble
2016-11-04, 08:38 PM
The herlekin's blow had struck hard. Unable to focus with such a terrible injury, Hadrian struck out wildly before retreating..

Attack 1:
[roll0]
[roll1]
Attack 2:
[roll2]
[roll3]
five foot step away.

dantiesilva
2016-11-06, 07:51 PM
Had it not been for having a reach weapon Jonas would be able to move so he could use color spray, but because of 10ft. reach he would be attacked and I doubt thats what he wants saying he has seen the damage they can dish out. Also as with the critical fumble we have the critical success options, lets just say Madclaw did 22 damage and knocked it prone had it still been alive.

Abben seeing your friend hurt worst than your brother you lash out with your weapon, striking the creature in the chest, before swinging low and pulling its feet out from under it. It is your last attack as it falls that sends the beast to its grave.

With the foe he was engaged with defeated the enlightened soul steps back making sure he did not risk dying from another attack.

As Madclaw lashes out with his quaterstaff the pain of his wound flares up, thankfully he is able to regain control of his weapon before it is too late as he brings the quaterstaff down upon the creatures skull, its neck snapping as its entire head seems to drop four inches to rest against its shoulders.

It was a short battle, however the injuries are clear to all as you look around, this room seems to have been either a guard post or mess hall at some time judging by the few tables, and scraps of meat around the room. However what is most surprising is the figure, covered in blood with a thick beard braided coming out from underneath one of these tables. "Off I didn't think anyone was coming." comes the voice of the dwarf standing before you, to say he looks half dead would be an understatement as you look on, at the poor disfigured man and realize what was on the tables being eaten by the devils earlier.

Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=189850)

Timble
2016-11-08, 05:24 AM
The herlekin had badly wounded him, but Hadrian could still function. Someone else needed help and might be able to help them. Walking over to the dwarf, he knelt down wincing in pain.
"Are you in much pain?" he asked with concern. "I'm not sure how much my group can provide but I can't continue here for much longer. I can escort you back to town."
Waiting to see what help would be necessary and what the others in his party could do, he continued;
"Before we go on, do you know where the devils came from?"

esorscher
2016-11-08, 12:53 PM
Madclaw could use some healing, but prioritizes the dwarf's health over his own pain, which he is able to subdue through his indomitable barbarian will. "Let's get you back to town."

I believe I'm red speech in this game.

gallagher
2016-11-08, 04:30 PM
Abben does a quick look over the dwarf to try and get an understanding of whether or not he would survive the trip back to the town.

heal check to guess how mortal the wounds are: [roll0]

If he is dying, I try to stabilize him with a cure minor wounds

dantiesilva
2016-11-08, 07:41 PM
"I'll live so long as we don't expect me to fight. Those bastards sure knew how to keep a man alive so they could continue to have fun." the dwarf says, rubbing where his arm used to be. "As for where they came from, yeah me and my brothers were in the tunnel when it happened actually. We had just begun to open a new tunnel to dig deeper into the mountain, given our history with the town we thought we could make a quick dollar off of all the ore we had been finding as of late. However as we got to the room we were about to start mining in we saw a middle aged human with black hair chanting in some god forsaken language over this young lass. Next thing we knew she was turned into one of these beasts and she began hunting us down. Even though she had no eyes she seemed to always know where we were hiding to, it was errie. I suspect while he had his creation doing that he summoned the rest here through some sort of magic. I never heard of such a thing however, most creatures normally go back, and my brother being a priest of the Soul Forger was caught off guard when he struck one down and it didn't return to wherever it was called from. Said it was not natural. Don;t know much of what happened after that, a lot of fighting, the few survivors that were left were mostly taken to the mine, for what I do not know. And those of us not lucky enough to go to the mine, well I am the last of them." explains the dwarf as he looks at all of you, no doubt wondering if you would even survive to get him out of the tunnel.

ilinares
2016-11-10, 03:11 AM
"Guys, I hate to admit it, but maybe we need to withdraw to safety. I'm unhurt, but each of you is looking in bad shape, and our new friend here is hardly going to be able to join us in our self-appointed quest.

"The first priority should be treating our wounded. That done, we can return - with, I might add, a full compliment of devastating spells courtesy of your dashing wizard - to find this summoner and stop him."

I don't think this dwarf's story adds up. Can I get a sense motive please? [roll0]

Timble
2016-11-10, 06:02 AM
"Yes, we can't continue like this," Hadrian said, "Let's get out of here before more show up."

esorscher
2016-11-10, 09:21 AM
Madclaw nods his assent to the obviously necessary planned withdrawal. "Let's move quickly."

gallagher
2016-11-10, 10:18 AM
Prior to heading out, Abben offers a little healing. After using Cure Minor Wounds on the dwarf to give him a better chance at survival, he asks his teammates if they need patched up on the way out of the mine.

Timble
2016-11-10, 05:11 PM
"I will need some healing in case of any more combat. I wouldn't be able to survive a hit." Hadrian says. He knew that he would need to activate all his defensive powers should combat start.

gallagher
2016-11-11, 12:06 PM
Abben casts Lesser Vigor on Hadrian. Hope that'll do for now.

dantiesilva
2016-11-23, 09:49 PM
While the dwarves story does not seem to add up with the immediate reports you heard yesterday from the lone dwarf that made it to town escaping the mines it is clear he is not lying or under any magical enchantment.

As you all decide to leave you begin heading out the door when a group of Herlekins show up on both sides blocking your paths. Out of the group blocking your path back from the way you came steps forth a devil much bigger looking than his brothers and sisters around him, his claws seeming to be constantly covered in flames and dripping some green substance. That's when its voice speaks, like thunder in perfect common. "So you are the ones who have been running around killing my men. It has taken quite some time to find you, however we eventually did, and now you will be brought before the master." He says with a gleaming smile as his hands both grip the fork like weapons the others have been holding and it seems to take the power flowing through the creatures hands into itself as the shaft becomes wreathed in flames, and the fork dripping with a wicked green substance. No doubt acid.

esorscher
2016-11-24, 10:19 AM
Despite the overwhelming odds and his close proximity to death, Madclaw brandishes his quarterstaff. "You won't take me without a fight," he warns, growling. Better to die free than live a slave.

Cast Cure Light Wounds on self as standard action. [roll0]

gallagher
2016-11-24, 10:41 AM
I wonder, Abben says aloud, which of you intends to take us captive? Abben quickly converts Divine Favor into cure light wounds to help heal his brother, and holds his guisarme out menacingly.

[roll0] for madclaw

ilinares
2016-11-24, 12:42 PM
Jonas's mind spins swiftly through possibilities. The situation was rapidly deteriorating. The barbarian brothers were determined to force a fight which, at these odds, would cost some of them their lives. The numbers on hand were such that victory would be impossible. Escape... there might come a time for that, but it was not going to be possible immediately.

Bravado would achieve nothing. Violence would solve nothing. Magic... Jonas swiftly reviews his repertoire, and finds nothing that will tip the odds.

Which left his tongue.

Linking swiftly with the minds of his companions, including the dwarf, Jonas sends them a telepathic message. We can't afford a fight - not until the moment is right. This calls for trickery. Follow my lead.

Summoning all his acting skills, Jonas affects a sneer.

"Finally. An interlocutor deserving of my attention. I had begun to imagine I must dispose of all your chaff before I finally found one capable of speech, instead of brute violence.

"As you can see, my servitors have been somewhat inconvenienced by the assaults, although nothing permanent. It is hardly the most promising beginning to our association.

"You say you are here to bring me to your master? Well and good: my message is not for the ears of lackeys. Lead on."

Stepping towards the larger devil, he strives to assume a commanding attitude, and looks with as much contempt as he can muster towards the nearest herlekin.

"The minions are hardly necessary - but be warned. I have not yet lowered myself to sullying my hands with their kind. If they seek to impede my progress, or lay a finger upon me or my servants, I shall not be held accountable for the results."

Jonas has to force himself not to hold his breath, but to continue looking self-assured - even somewhat bored. It is a bluff of truly ridiculous proportions, but it has two things to recommend it: firstly, the fact that he genuinely has not been harmed, which might led credence to the suggestion his power has not yet been unveiled. Secondly, the fact that all servants - human or devil - have the same instinct when confronted with uncertainty: don't take risks - send it up the chain of command.

Even if all Jonas can accomplish is making sure they remain armed and unbound, they will at least have that much more of a chance to escape later.

[roll0]

Timble
2016-11-24, 04:41 PM
Unsure how Jonas was choosing to proceed but knowing it to be better then how the others were acting.
"Stay calm," he whispers to Madclaw. "We shouldn't try to fight here."
Standing still, he attempts to meditate to gain the power to fight should this go badly.

dantiesilva
2016-11-24, 07:44 PM
"I wouldn't intend to have it any other way small ones, you killed many of my men this day, it is only fair that I get my share of licks in before you go before the master." The Herlekin that is clearly the leader says in resort to Madclaw.

"We all plan to, and once the task is complete we shall be allowed to open a portal fully." the creature replies with glee.

However it is the calm reaction mixed with the words of Jonas that give the devil pause as whispers begin to stir in the infernal language behind him. It seems your words have had some effect as it takes a few moments for th leader to settle them all down. However after a moment he replies. "If what you say is true than I suggest you follow quietly. If you try anything funny my forces will crush you under their cloven feet and drag you the rest of the way. I can smell the magic coming off of you mortal, but their are no doubt a lot more of us than you have magic to deal with. Keep that in mind." The leader says, stepping aside so you may join the horde of devils and be escorted to whereever this creatures master is.

Your call if you try and make a break for it, but from what you can see their are at least eight Herlekins, not including the one built slightly larger than the others, though still clearly a herlekin.

gallagher
2016-12-04, 02:39 PM
And yet there are not enough of you to deal with the sharp end of my weapon, Abben growls in a whisper to nobody in particular. He awaits the reaction of his compatriots before following, so that he can be the rearguard for his team. He gives a threatening look to any that might try and catch his gaze, showing that he remains mostly uninjured, and is prepared for any that might act with aggression towards the party.

Abben is ready for a fight, and prepares an action to interrupt any aggressive act towards the party. Holding my guisarme at the ready.

dantiesilva
2016-12-16, 09:48 PM
Ignoring the empty threat of the warrior, the leader of the devils has the others form rank around all of you and begin escorting you through the mines. A few times it even seems like he was taking you in circles until at last you are brought before a wide open cavern. At one end is a man kneeling before a strange portal, two braziers lit with a strange smell escaping the two of them seem to reach your noses. That is when a woman's voice is heard in everyone's mind, though it doesn't seem to be speaking to the four of you. Why did you bring them here? The master sent you to deal with them, make sure they did not stop us from turning the rest of the town. the voice says in the tongue of the devils, clearly believing none of you able to understand it.

Spot check DC 27 (sorry for the long wait and the high roll on my dice)

esorscher
2016-12-19, 12:00 PM
Fear begins to weave its way into Madclaw's mind as the goliath is taken deeper into the mines, passing more and more foes who would stand between it and the surface. He keeps a watchful eye out:

No way I can make a DC 27 check with my +2 modifier but here goes: [roll0] if someone with a higher modifier rolls use this as aid another.

Timble
2016-12-19, 09:40 PM
Keeping calm, Hadrian looks about to try and glimpse who spoke.

So I think the other three are aiding me for an additional +6 bonus but am leaving that out in case incorrect.

dantiesilva
2016-12-20, 01:36 AM
As each of you looks around trying to help Hadrian catch a glimpse of this mysterious voice the old man seems to stop what he is doing and turn around to look at all of you. "In truth I did not expect to see any of you here, you must understand my surpprise to see not one of you, but all of you this far." the man says before turning to look at the devil who brought you into the chamber. "It seems some are still not compatent enough to know when they are being played. Well children any last requests before I kill you? After all I have important work to do and I really can not deal with interuptions at this time." the man says from where he has risen, still behind the two blazing fires.

Timble
2016-12-22, 01:36 AM
"You do not have to do this," Hadrian says, forming a protective shield. He quickly tries to gain focus, doubting he would be able to talk the man down.

Force Screen
Hooray! Focused.

ilinares
2016-12-22, 10:55 AM
We don't understand what was said about turning the town, correct?
"Played?" Jonas tries - but it is clear this man has seen through the ruse.

If the only way out of this is violence, so be it - but then, trying to gather more intelligence is never a waste of time.

"You speak of your important work. If you mean opening the portal fully, you should consider if that is in your best interests.

"You are, it appears, mortal. Take it from one who knows: the devils will have little use for you once you have outlived their usefulness. It is not too late to free yourself of their clutches.

"Or, you could attempt to fight us. A venture which carries its own risks, and certainly one of those risks is your death - another, a Pyrrhic victory that earns your masters' displeasure. Devils do not respond well to failure.

"But if we have quite finished posturing at one another, might we not more usefully discuss what you hope to achieve? Surely there must be a way to achieve your goals without furthering those of the Nine Hells - is that not a prospect that you would be well advised to explore?"

Diplomacy [roll0]

I don't expect to make him change his mind - but if he is well enough disposed to me to respond, we might learn more about his plans.

dantiesilva
2016-12-27, 01:21 AM
Hadrian as you go to form a shield around yourself Jonas thankfully begins talking pulling the attention away from you as the invisible shield hovers around you like a protective bubble.

"I don't have to do anything, like any weak person I could stand around like any village idiot and watch each day as those who are not in power are stepped on like bugs so those that have power can simply laugh at the expense of others. However I have power and I will not allow those who use theirs wrongly to continue to rule this world." Ryl says calmly, almost as if he were trying to convince you that his way was the right way.

Turning to Jonas Ryl listens to his words for a moment, allowing the young wizard to plead his case before responding. " I will say this, it is easy to see why one of my men feel for your wordplay, perhaps in another time we could have been allies. However you see unlike you I was not born into a time where magic was looked at as evil, to come from a family of beings that wielded such power was unheard of due to the witch hunts. It was the devils who found me and took me in, raised me as one of their own. So you see while I may have been born a mortal like yourself, I was never treated like one by my own people. I at least know where I stand with those I serve, and when my time comes to move onto the next world the compact the gods signed ages ago shall merely transform me into what I was meant to be." Ryl says with pride, the idea of going to hell and becoming a devil appealing to him.

"The Prospects of my Mother as well as myself are one in the same, bring true law and order back to the material plane and stop once and for all the inequality of the people who are looked down upon for seeming to be weaker. I Ryl Aufein the seventh son of Alecuard Aufein shall bring true peace to this world. Join me now, after all you have made it this far, together we can create a world where those with magic no longer have to hide, people like your father will no longer be needed to do what they were trained for."

Why do you resist me? Your mother was like those I serve, and you wield magic much like myself, you should know better than most what I speak about. After all why try to learn so much if not to protect the ones you love?

Timble
2016-12-27, 04:07 AM
"Your devils wiped out a mine and killed several lumberjacks. When we first approached you, you threatened to kill us and still may try to do so. You seem to be yet another person willing to crush the little people in your way," Hadrian says after the man finishes speaking to Jonas. "And if you continues on then more little people will be killed. Do your beliefs on the misuse of power conveniently excuse your misuses?"
He hoped that the man was motivated by a concern for people and could be swayed, but knew that it was very possible that he had either mistaken Ryl's motivation or that Ryl could just shrug off the deaths of a few for the greater good. The opening of the portal was too dangerous to allow, Hadrian knew that he had to stop it.

ilinares
2016-12-28, 02:38 PM
Knowledge (the Planes) [roll0]
I want to see if Jonas knows whether the devil created from a lawful evil soul is in any meaningful sense the same person as the original soul.

"You have heard the expression 'judge the tree by its fruit?' No enterprise of benevolence begins with slaughter.

"You claim to identify with devils, to wish you had been created as such. If that is the truth - if you see yourself as glorifying in despicable deeds and tyranny - then my words will hardly move you.

"But consider this. You say you are acting because the rulers of our land are unfit. You refer to persecution, and you have my sympathy - though I have not myself experienced such. Yet how can substituting the rule of devils be better? Make no mistake - in any relationship involving devils, they will gain the upper hand. You will not rule in your own right. However deplorable a mortal leader, devil overlords would be infinitely worse. Persecution, torment, wholesale servitude: that is the future you are courting.

"Do you not see why we oppose that? So should we all! Abandon this vain dream of becoming a devil - it is a lie your masters have sold you. Turn your back on this mad course, and help us prevent hell from coming to this plane!"

[roll1]

dantiesilva
2016-12-28, 08:57 PM
Ryl listens to the two heroes plead their cases, explaining that he would simply be doing the work of the lords of hell, however as the man with the black beard finally speaks, he dose not seem to be moved by your passion. "Those who ran this mine were offered a choice, join me, stay out of my way, or resist me. They sadly choose to resist which forced me to recruit a few miners of my own. I much rather have had the dwarves making the weapons for my armies, however anyone with a basic skill will honestly do. As for the lumberjacks, I sent out scouts to secure our operation. If one is to build an empire they must first be able to keep their property safe, something the four of you are making rather difficult." Ryl says starting to sound annoyed.

"Really so when Asmendous and his followers left the seven heavens of Celestia to fight the demons plaguing the mortal realm centuries ago before man even remembers, and pushed the hordes back to the abyss do you know what happened to those brave souls that lived through the first Blood War? The very first battle between good and evil? The angels that stayed safely inside of their pearly gates refused to allow those who had sacrificed so much to return home. Instead they would have to suffer with one another and make a new home for themselves, never able to return to their rightful home. So if I were to judge the tree by the fruit I would say that these tyrants you are so afraid of have done more good for humanity than any servant of the heavens ever has." Ryl counters.

"I have lived among devils more centuries than any but the goliath's tribe can remember. I know what they are capable of full and well, I also know that they have more honor than any mortal. When they make a deal they honor it, even if it is not how you forsaw it ending. It is not there fault humanities minds are small and do not comprehend what it is they ask for. Do you fault a Genie and call it evil when it grants a wish not exactly as you stated? No because they grant you wishes, but because devils offer true partnerships they are looked at as such because they honor the pact that was made. Sometimes to create the most beautiful garden you must first.."

"Burn down a forest? Ryl we have had this argument before." Comes a females voice from behind all of you, as well as a presence of pure magic, seeming to fill all of you up so that it is hard to tell what you would be able to do. All around you the devils that had been keeping guard over you are enveloped in a yellow light before turning to dust as the yellow light forms a globe around you and the speaker.

Turning around you spot a woman in very primitive clothing, something a barbarian shaman would wear no doubt, however there is a regal power that seems to surround her.

http://img0.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/c/0/118/437/118437290_preview_d187273c74e808897a6ca6f82349bb48 .jpg

"You know I can not allow you to open a portal Ryl, it would disrupt the balance."

" I was woundering how long it would take for you to notice I was trying to open another portal Magister. You know you can not be everywhere at once and one of the portals will eventually be opened." Ryl replies, a civil tone coming to his voice, almost as if he respected the woman's power standing behind you all, keeping you safe from all outside harm.

We do not have much time, and this is not the place to explain things. Do not leave the globe I have summoned around us however, or his servants will be on you like flies." she says quietly to the four of you before addressing Ryl. "These children and this town have to qualm with you Ryl, we both know you only came for the portal. I am here and if a battle ensures between us here and now neither of us will walk away unscrathed. I suggest you return home and bring your minions with you." the woman says to the much older looking man, as if she knew him once long ago.

Timble
2016-12-29, 12:51 AM
Sensing battle likely Hadrian activated his precognition to warn him of incoming blows.
"We've seen what your devils did to the inhabitants," Hadrian said, guesturing towards the dwarf. "And we have seen them eat each other. Whatever good they have done in the past and whatever evil has been done to those you call master doesn't excuse their and your actions in this place. What you have done is unnecessary and shows how unfit you are for your task and that your task is unacceptable."
He turns to the woman.
"I do not know who you are, but you have encountered him doing this before. I doubt that you have ever talked him out of it before and I doubt we will be able to do so now. If his actions at the mine, the town and wherever he has been before aren't enough to convince him to stop then talking to him now won't. We should end this threat now."

dantiesilva
2016-12-29, 01:04 AM
"Yes listen to the enlightened one Magister, shall we not end this dance we have been dancing for so long?" Ryl laughs as he looks across the small distance between the now five of you and himself.

"He only says this because he doesn't understand what a battle between us would do." The woman replies before looking to you, "Have you ever heard tale of the Jade empire to the west of here? It was once a beautiful place until Ryl found a portal there. It was the first time we did battle, and what remains is a desert and ruins scattered across it." The woman says to you hoping you would understand the magnitude of what you were asking her to do.

Timble
2016-12-29, 03:45 AM
"Then how do we stop him?" Hadrian asks.

gallagher
2016-12-30, 09:38 AM
Abben saw that the only way out would be the bloody path. He grasped his weapon, prepared for any aggressive action. I have heard you talk out of fear and pain. I know what it is like to be raised as an outsider, I grew up an orphan with the goliaths, I stood out like a red flower among the grass. He explained as he stepped forward, making sure that the man was within striking distance, all the while shielding his friends from attention.

But it seems that your hatred was stoked like a fire. Can you not see you are being used for anothers purpose? You act like seeking revenge will somehow make you even for the wrongs done to you. Listen to me now, life is hard for all, everyone has to struggle to make it through to the next world. I see that you ignore that truth and chose an easy path. You seek to lash out like a petulant child, your vengence reaches those who never saw your face or learned your name.

You say you have power. Fine, why not use it for good? My friends here each have power unlike that had any been seen in our village, and have earned the acceptance of those around them. It is a harder path, yes, but easy paths are for weak people. Will you not be strong and choose a better way? Abben asks, knowing the mans answer already. Abben merely wanted to provide his friends time to oreoare to take this man down by force.

dantiesilva
2016-12-30, 12:38 PM
"You think I had an easy life boy, comparing a life with the goliaths to that of living in hell with devils? Even your greatest enemies in a goliath tribe would look like friends when growing up not knowing the ways of devils. However I like you learned how to become part of my adopted family, and since than things have changed. You believe I take the lesser path, that I am not trying to do good only because you see it from an outsiders point of view. Ask the ghosts of a thousand dead mages as you stand in the ashes of your family if what others thinks matters. All that matters is making sure what happened to people like me never happens again." Ryl says looking to the Magister.

"So how shall we decide this time, it seems you do not want to have fun once more and lose innocent lives. Perhaps a wager than. I send forth a champion to do battle with the four you are despretly trying to protect. IF my champion wins you must leave, and allow me to open the portal. However if by some strange miracle your own champions win I shall depart from here for now." Ryl says with a smile waiting on her answer.

"Ryl you speak as if I can control these souls as if they were chess pieces on a board instead of people. It is up to them if they accept your conditions not I, however if they do I have a stipulation of my own. Neither side may gain outside support of any kind once the battle has begun, meaning your champion can not be one of those you called to this plane yourself." She says looking to you braze heroes to see what you shall do.

esorscher
2016-12-30, 12:45 PM
"I accept the challenge," Madclaw says, healing himself quickly. (CLW: [roll0])

ilinares
2016-12-30, 02:09 PM
Jonas considers briefly. "If there is no other way to thwart your purpose without mutually assured destruction, so be it. But should the Magister not first satisfy herself of your choice of champion - that this is an even contest - before she agrees to abide by the outcome?"

Timble
2016-12-31, 02:11 AM
"If a challenge will end this," Hadrian says, "then let us start."

dantiesilva
2016-12-31, 03:27 AM
As each of you agrees to the challenge a figure seems to fall from the ceiling, its wings much like an insects, slowing it enough so it didn't harm itself from the descent. "Allow me to do it Master, I shall not be beaten." comes a voice into all of your heads, though not directed at any of you. To each person it sounds different, like how they remember their mothers voice from childhood. Slowly the wings recced back into the creatures body you have still yet to see as its skin become like that of a normal humans, as hair slowly begins to grow from its once bald scalp until standing before Ryl is the spitting image of Jonas's mother. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyfW6Wei0mE)

"As the Magister has left me with few others that can deal with them it seems I have no other choice. Well Magister shall we step aside to allow our champions to do battle? Or are you having second thoughts? Perhaps the pawns on the table are not as powerful as you think they are, and when they fail you will have to leave, allowing me to finish my work here." Ryl says with a smile on his face as he seems to fly a few feet into the air, just enough so that he would be out of the way of the battle, however still remaining behind the two flaming braziers.

"I have faith in them Ryl, and when this is over remember you must leave this place." the woman says with a smile looking to all of you. "When this is over I promise to explain everything I can." she tells you all allowing the veil to fall so that you could do battle.

Boss battle

So for the boss battle I will ask that everyone roll initiative
Abben
Enemy that looks like Jonas's mom
Madclaw
Jonas
Hadrian

gallagher
2017-01-03, 03:43 PM
Abben, unafraid and wanting to put himself between his friends and harm, charges at the creature and strikes out at it's knees with his guisarme, hoping to knock it to the ground swiftly.

Attack: [roll0] for [roll1]
Potential crit: [roll2] for [roll3]

Free trip attempt: [roll4]

Conditional attack: [roll5] for [roll6]
Potential crit: [roll7] for [roll8]

dantiesilva
2017-01-03, 10:05 PM
"Boy do you really think that chain will..." Thats when the chain wraps around the devils leg, and you pull hard, not allowing it to finish its sentence as it falls to the ground hard, "Master what is this thing!" The devil shrieks as it reverts back to its diabolic form before turning invisible, not making a sound as it seems to vanish from the fight, but it has to be here somewhere, you know for a fact you hurt it.

I forgot how nasty that chain is.... good thing no AoO from the Sla
Abben
Enemy that looks like Jonas's mom
Madclaw
Jonas
Hadrian

esorscher
2017-01-03, 10:11 PM
Madclaw prepares himself to pounce once the creature reveals itself again, readying a maneuver practiced through years of experience, leaping into the air with a spin, extending his quarterstaff and bringing one end of the quarterstaff and then the other against the enemy as he channels the momentum of his charge into each strike.

Charge (+2), Flanking (+2) (-2 to each attack roll, Pounce (-2/-2): [roll0], [roll1], [roll2], [roll3]

ilinares
2017-01-04, 08:53 AM
Jonas reels at the sight of his mother...

No. Not her. Some thing daring to wear her face.

Suddenly filled with icy rage, Jonas bites off the syllables of a summon monster spell. It will be several seconds before the incantation is complete; time enough for the unseen villain to reappear.

And then he would have vengeance.

Timble
2017-01-04, 10:11 PM
The appearance of the monster had caused some obvious pain to Jonas, Hadrian hoped that his friend would remain calm enough to fight well. Standing in place, he tries to locate where the being had gone. Should it try to attack him it would find that his time in the monastery prepared him for hard to see opponents.

Listen: [roll1] sure it apparently didn't make a sound but it never hurts to try.
If he can (somehow) find it's general area then he will point it out.
If he can sense the creature come near or it attacks him, he responds with a stunning blow.
[roll2] for [roll3]
Fortitude DC 14 or be stunned until just before Hadrian's next turn, losing their action, held items, dexterity bonus to ac and a -2 to ac
If it is still invisible then Hadrian has blindfight to reroll, since he would know where it was under the conditions then it is rolled here. Trying for more then 50:
[roll4]
[roll5] (Potential reroll)

dantiesilva
2017-01-05, 01:03 AM
Hadrian many years you spent inside your temple training in all ways, one of them was fighting what could not be seen. Focusing on the nosies around you, your eyes close making all your other sense's become sharper. After all if the creature was using magic to keep itself hidden no amount of visual powers would be able to find it, but everything made a sound. And as you listen you hear the distinct sound of wings flapping close to Jonas and tell the others as you all lash out at the area around him hoping to protect him from whatever creature was getting ready to attack him.

Between you and Madclaw the beast does not stand a chance as you work together to find out where it is, and rip it to shreds, it never having a chance it would seem as its body reappears very much dead behind Jonas.

http://adventureaweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Final-Striga-BW.jpg

Looking at the creature close up you notice it looks very much humanoid, as if it was once a beautiful woman, however her scalp has been shaved, and the back ripped out it seems with some strange organ taking its place. Its eyes no longer their but simply a black void, Bone prottrudes from the creatures back, around the spinal column as well.

Timble
2017-01-05, 03:34 AM
"Your challenger has been defeated," Hadrian says to Ryl. "I think you're done here."
Keeping an eye on how the man reacted, Hadrian moved in closer to Jonas. "I say the effect our foe had on you. Are you feeling alright? Hopefully our time here is over and we can return home."

ilinares
2017-01-05, 03:43 AM
Jonas blinks at the sudden flurry of movement. A celestial badger manifests itself a moment later, snarling, then looking puzzled at its downed prey. Closing his eyes briefly, lamenting his spell selection, Jonas has the creature ready itself to attack the devil with his mother's face the moment it shows any sign of movement. After all, this might be a bluff. Although it is by no means clear what such a bluff might accomplish.

Listening to Hadrian's words, Jonas pays little attention to Ryl, instead finding himself unable to tear his eyes from the devil.

"It looks like my mother," he says lamely. "Why would that be? If it is deliberate, I can't see what it's meant to achieve. If it's a coincidence, then the question is the other way around, isn't it? I know she had some dark secrets, that she wasn't entirely human; but if my mother looks identical to a devil..."

He seems to realise this is no place for this kind of introspection. Rounding on Ryl, he lays a hand on the head of his summoned ally.

"Hadrian is right. You claim to admire devils, and that a devil always keeps the letter of its word. Well, then: it's time for you to honour your bargain."

dantiesilva
2017-01-09, 02:37 AM
"I would not think to much on it boy, the Striga were once mortal women before becoming servants of hell, willingly I might add. No doubt she peered into your mind and grasped a memory." Ryl says from the air, sounding rather unconcerned given his loss he had just suffered."As for the bargin, I will honor it, I said I would depart from here and I shall. Enjoy your time, MAgister I am sure I shall be seeing you soon if the sands of time have anything to say." Ryl bows politely to her as a portal of fire opens up behind him and he floats into it, the portal vanishing as quickly as it came.

"Thank you for your help, this would not have been as easy had you not been here given the power Ryl and I hold." the magister says with a sigh of relief as she looks at all of you. "Now I offered to explain everything to you when this was done did I not? If you still wish for me to explain I will teleport us all back to the small town where we can talk briefly before I must depart. With luck I can find which of the portals Ryl will try to strike at next and be able to reinforce it. Or you can all stay here, and finish off the servant's Ryl has left behind. The choice is of course yours to make however."

gallagher
2017-01-09, 10:57 AM
What more will the servants be able to do? The miners are all gone, and they will be here on the morrow to destroy. I vote for returning, a hot meal and strong drink would do me well. Abben states jovially, slapping his stomach at the mention of food.

Timble
2017-01-09, 04:46 PM
"Yes, we are unprepared for much more exploration, we will return to clear the mines tomorrow," Hadrian says, looking around. "But first I think we should search the room, we may learn something about what was going on here."