PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Tyranid Gaunts-A Player Race

JNAProductions
2016-09-03, 03:18 AM
Ability Score Increase-Your Dexterity increases by 2. All Gaunts are extremely nimble.

Age-You are formed when the Hive Fleet shows up, and you die when it eats you again. You literally have no digestive track-there's no point to it. Your age is measured in days, and you probably won't last more than a week.

Alternative Age-You somehow managed to be formed with a digestive track and can survive for extended periods of time. You are likely several months old, and will live a few years.

Alignment-Gaunts, when separated from the Hive Mind, have a wide variety of alignments-though usually lean towards hungry.

Size-You stand almost shoulder-height to a man. You are Medium, if on the smaller end of Medium.

Speed-You're a fast bugger. Your base speed is 35'.

Darkvision-The Hive Mind needs you to work in dark places. You can see in the dark up to 60' as if it were dim light.

Hormogaunt

Ability Score Increase-Your Strength increases by 2.

Claws-You have a set of two natural claws you are proficient in. These are light slashing weapons that deal 1d6 damage apiece. At level 6, they count as magical weapons. At level 11, their damage increases to 1d8.

Special Ability-Choose one of the following.

Toxin Sacs-You have built in poisonous sacs. Once per short rest, you may, as a bonus action, coat your claws in poison. This poison deals an extra 2d6 damage on a hit, increasing to 4d6 at level 5, 6d6 at level 11, and 8d6 at level 17. This poison lasts for one hit per claw (normally two hits total, unless you manage to gain extra claws somehow). This poison can be extracted and applied to other weapons (a process that takes one minute) but degrades quickly-it will last no longer than an hour.

Adrenal Glands-You are an expert charger. Any turn in which you take the dash action, you may attack once as a bonus action. If you have Extra Attack, you may instead attack twice. (This is unaffected by having Extra Attack (2 or 3).)

Ymgarl Gene-You have remarkable regenerative properties. You regain one hit point every ten minutes (including if you are at zero hit points), up to half your max HP, and regrow lost limbs in the course of approximately a month. This ceases to function when you die.

Termagaunt

Ability Score Increase-Your Intelligence and Wisdom each increase by 1.

Fleshborer-You have a built-in ranged weapon that you are proficient in in the form of a bio-engineered projectile shooter. This weapon has a short range of 120', a long range of 600', and deals 1d8 bludgeoning damage.

Optional Rule-Since the Fleshborer uses your own body as ammunition, you have a finite amount. Each short rest, you can produce up to 20 pieces of ammunition, and each long rest you can produce 50. You can never have more than 60 stored at a time. If you attempt to fire the Fleshborer when out of ammo, you may do so, but you take 1 point of damage each time it is fired.

Special Ability-Choose one of the following.

Devourer-Your Fleshborer has increased power, at the cost of range. It may now deal 1d10 damage, but has a range of 40'/200'. This replaces the Fleshborer ability.

Ymgarl Gene-You have remarkable regenerative properties. You regain one hit point every ten minutes (including if you are at zero hit points), up to half your max HP, and regrow lost limbs in the course of approximately a month. This ceases to function when you die.

khadgar567
2016-09-03, 03:28 AM
okay jna you made the cheapest pc race in 5e know what stating thunska the elder killa is there any reason to play this guy in a 5e game I mean when you die its probably permanent and you have int score of 3 unless hive fleet sends titan to increase the score it looks to me like a glorious space kobold with animal intelligence

JNAProductions
2016-09-03, 03:44 AM
okay jna you made the cheapest pc race in 5e know what stating thunska the elder killa is there any reason to play this guy in a 5e game I mean when you die its probably permanent and you have int score of 3 unless hive fleet sends titan to increase the score it looks to me like a glorious space kobold with animal intelligence

I figure you're a detached Gaunt from the Hive Mind. And more than that, you don't have to use all the fluff. Just take which bits you like.

I certainly agree-running a Gaunt AS-IS, straight from 40k? Silly. But modifying it a little? Not silly.

Rerem115
2016-09-03, 03:47 AM
This race leans toward the upper end of racial strength with just its ASIs and its speed, but some of the special features could cause some real shenanigans (I'm looking at you, Hormogaunt.)

Say you're a Hormogaunt paladin with Adrenal Glands. You get one extra attack with which to smite and apply Improved Divine Smite; essentially increasing your DPR by 30-50%. The same goes if you're a ranger.

Or, you could be a Hormogaunt rogue with Poison Sacs. You play as an assassin, and you poison your claws before you surprise someone. You now essentially have a second sneak attack in one turn that can be multiplied by your guaranteed critical.

JNAProductions
2016-09-03, 03:51 AM
This race leans toward the upper end of racial strength with just its ASIs and its speed, but some of the special features could cause some real shenanigans (I'm looking at you, Hormogaunt.)

Say you're a Hormogaunt paladin with Adrenal Glands. You get one extra attack with which to smite and apply Improved Divine Smite; essentially increasing your DPR by 30-50%. The same goes if you're a ranger.

Or, you could be a Hormogaunt rogue with Poison Sacs. You play as an assassin, and you poison your claws before you surprise someone. You now essentially have a second sneak attack in one turn that can be multiplied by your guaranteed critical.

Um... You can easily get the exact same thing by regular ol' dual wielding.

I did not think of the Assassin Poison Sac shenanigans. And I'm not sure that needs addressing-Assassinate is DAMN HARD to pull off, and it's still only once per rest, so even if you manage to sneak up on every fight (you won't) you can't use it every fight.

Also, while it's got good ASIs and speed (especially the Hormogaunt-not so much the Termigaunt) it's pretty sparse with total racial features. The few it does have are good-but it is still few.

Rerem115
2016-09-03, 03:55 AM
Oh, my bad. I misread the wording on how charge scaled; I thought it gave you extra attack (2) if you had extra attack.

JNAProductions
2016-09-03, 03:56 AM
Oh, my bad. I misread the wording on how charge scaled; I thought it gave you extra attack (2) if you had extra attack.

Ah, okay. To clarify, what I meant is that if you have Extra Attack (2) or Extra Attack (3) there are no additional benefits. So Fighter benefits the least from Adrenal Glands, starting by level 11.

Rerem115
2016-09-03, 04:01 AM
What modifier does Fleshborer and its derivative use, or is it just 1d8/1d10 with no modifier?

JNAProductions
2016-09-03, 04:01 AM
What modifier does Fleshborer and its derivative use, or is it just 1d8/1d10 with no modifier?

It's a standard ranged weapon. Dexterity.

khadgar567
2016-09-03, 04:15 AM
can bio weapons used between specs?

JNAProductions
2016-09-03, 04:17 AM
can bio weapons used between specs?

You only have access to the special abilities listed under subrace.

So Hormogaunt has three, Termagaunt has two.

Not sure if that answers your question, because I'm not 100% sure what the question was.

khadgar567
2016-09-03, 05:07 AM
You only have access to the special abilities listed under subrace.

So Hormogaunt has three, Termagaunt has two.

Not sure if that answers your question, because I'm not 100% sure what the question was.
sorry what i mean is are you gonna stat biomorphs like lash whip?

JNAProductions
2016-09-03, 09:36 AM
sorry what i mean is are you gonna stat biomorphs like lash whip?

Probably not. Maybe you could do that, as magic items available only to Gaunts.

khadgar567
2016-09-03, 09:41 AM
Probably not. Maybe you could do that, as magic items available only to Gaunts.
okay then give me a solid idea on how to itemize symbiotic whip as weapon ( I dont know to much about warhammer 40k and I have tendency to make op content)

JNAProductions
2016-09-03, 09:43 AM
okay then give me a solid idea on how to itemize symbiotic whip as weapon ( I dont know to much about warhammer 40k and I have tendency to make op content)

I don't own the Nids codex. This is all off memory, so I have no idea what the Symbiotic Whip is.

khadgar567
2016-09-03, 10:14 AM
I don't own the Nids codex. This is all off memory, so I have no idea what the Symbiotic Whip is.
symbiote is just trait i made up during the previous post as for why this whip gets trait like it because it made it by hive mind as support/ weapon organism

JNAProductions
2016-09-03, 10:24 AM
symbiote is just trait i made up during the previous post as for why this whip gets trait like it because it made it by hive mind as support/ weapon organism

Then I have no idea how to stat it.