PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Give me your best Warlock builds!?

imaginary
2016-09-03, 03:25 AM
I started a thread a while back around building a party of all warlocks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?496896-A-party-of-all-Warlocks-(5e)). Well, I've actually gotten around to building a few warlock characters based on some of the advice, but I'd love to see what other people come up with.

Here are the criteria:

Build a 10th level character.
Multi-classing is allowed, but the character must have at least two levels of warlock.
Though not required, bonus points for taking the "Devil's Sight" and "Mask of Many Faces" invocations (see other thread).
Please include feat and/or invocation recommendations, and what you think makes the build cool.
Unearthed Arcana and 5e splat books allowed.
Bonus points for characters designed to enhance team cooperation.

Below are a few builds I came up with so far. But let me know how you'd fix them or if you have any other more unique ones.

~Imaginary

Class

Rogue 2 /
Warlock 8 (Chain)

Fighter 2 /
Warlock 8 (Blade)

Paladin 6 (Oath of the Ancients) /
Warlock 4 (Tome)

Sorcerer 8 (Shadow or Dragonic - Fire?) /
Warlock 2

Sorcerer 8 (Favored Soul - Life) /
Warlock 2

Patron

Great Old One

Fiend

Undying Light

Undying Light

Undying Light

Role

Ranged Support, Scout, Skill Support

Melee Offense

Melee Defense, Support

Offensive Spells

Healing, Melee Support, Face

Invocations

Devil's Sight

Devil's Sight

Devil's Sight

Devil's Sight

Devil's Sight

Mask of Many Faces

Mask of Many Faces

Mask of Many Faces

Mask of Many Faces

Mask of Many Faces

Agonizing Blast

Agonizing Blast

Repelling Blast

Thirsting Blade

Feats/AS

Alert

Great Weapon Master

Inspiring Leader

Warcaster or ?

Actor

Spellsniper

Warcaster or Str +2?

Chr +2

Chr +2

Healer

Chr +2

Str +2

Chr +2

Chr +2

Chr +2

Saving Throws

Dex, Int

Str, Con

Wis, Chr

Con, Chr

Con, Chr

Str

16+2

16 or 14

Dex

Con

14 or 16

Int

Wis

Chr

16+2

16+4

16+4

16+2

Equipment

Light Armor, Rod

Heavy Armor, Greatsword

Heavy Armor, Shield, Longsword

No Armor or Shield

Medium Armor, Shield, Longsword

Comments

A warlock sniper with a focus on stealth, scouting, and battlefield control. She has a poor AC, but relies on keeping her distance and hiding to avoid taking damage. Her spells are focused on mobility and control. She'd make a good assassin at Rogue 3.

An in-your-face damage dealer with a focus on two handed weapons. Not a great AC, but fairly effective at dealing damage up close and at range. And has a bit of spell versitility.

The leader of the group, she can stand her ground in melee pretty well. Her high Chr boosts her Aura of Protection (+5 to save within 10') and Inspiring Leader (15 temp hp per short rest) to the benefit of the party. Her warlock spell slots can also be used to charge her smite, making her a threat when she needs to be. Pack of the Blade isn't as useful since she get's multi-attack from Paladin. She however has a poor concentration. Undying Light's Radiant Soul ability also adds her Chr to all her smites, fire and radiant damange. Pact of the Tome expands her cantrip selection.

With both Elemental Affinity from the Dragonic Bloodline and Radiant Soul from the Undying Light patron, Chr would stack twice onto fire spells. Dragonic Bloodline would also provide a bit more resilience and AC. Alternately, the Shadow Soucerous Origin would allow her to cast Darkness (normally a 2nd level spell) with only a single sorcery point. Though the rest of Eyes of the Dark is effectively useless with Devil's Sight.

She's primarily a healing focused arcane caster. Favoured soul grants her access to more armor for defense, and healing spells. Starting as a Sorcerer also gives her proficiency in Con saves. Though she has multiple attacks per round, she isn't really built for melee. The Healer feat gives additional healing support to the entire party between combats. Subtle Spell can be used to cast Hex in social or descreet situations. And Twin can help maximize combat and healing potential. The Actor feat combined with the Disguise Self offers a good likelihood of deception.

imaginary
2016-09-03, 03:27 AM
p.s. Here is a blank template if you want to use my formatting, or make your own.

Class

? /
Warlock 2 (?)

Patron

Role

Invocations

Devil's Sight

Mask of Many Faces

Feats/AS

Saving Throws

?, ?

Str

Dex

Con

Int

Wis

Chr

Equipment

armor and weapons

Comments

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-09-03, 11:27 AM
Flippant but truthful answer: Anything x/Warlock 2 or 3.

Belac93
2016-09-03, 02:55 PM
Well, a stupid one I made here. (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?499182-A-stupid-build-for-abusing-Greenflame-Blade-against-high-AC-opponents&p=21162195)

Class Sorcerer 6 /Warlock 2/ Fighter 2
Race Variant Human
Patron Undying Light
Role Melee Damage/Defense

Invocations Fiendish Vigour, Devil's Sight

Feats/AS Great weapon master, +2 Charisma

Saving Throws Strength +7, Constitution +6

Str 16
Dex 8
Con 14
Int 8
Wis 10
Chr 18
Equipment Plate Armour, Greataxe, as many tied up chickens as you can afford.

Comments Elemental Affinity+Radiant soul allows you to add your Charisma modifier twice to fire damage. With 18 Charisma, you cast greenflame blade on a chicken, rolling 1d20+7 with advantage to hit an AC 10/11 creature with advantage, on a hit, automatically kills the 1 hit point creature. Hit causes greenflame blade's secondary effect, dealing 1d8+12 damage to the opponent creature, you use great weapon fighting's secondary effect to bonus action attack your opponent, for 1d12+3 damage (or 1d12+13 damage with great weapon master). If you want, you can also action surge, quicken, or twin greenflame blade (note: some DMs will not allow twinning of greenflame blade). You also have an AC of 19 due to plate armour and protection (24 with shield), can heal 1d10+2 hit points as a bonus action, and always have 8 temporary hit points (from fiendish vigour).

Shaofoo
2016-09-03, 03:38 PM
Flippant but truthful answer: Anything x/Warlock 2 or 3.

More like any class that depends on Charisma 18 / Warlock 2.

Seriously, over here it is a waste to try to level Warlock up to 2 since you have to multiclass.

Mad Puppy
2016-09-03, 05:20 PM
Scorpion
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/mkwikia/images/d/d9/Scorpion-Mortal-Kombat.png/revision/latest?cb=20110502235720
Class Monk (Long Death)6 / Warlock4
Warlock Patron Fiend
Role Melee
Invocations Devil's Sight, Mask of Many Faces
Feats/AS Resilient (Con), Dex +2, Elemental Adept (Fire)
Saving Throws Str/Dex/Con
Str 14
Dex 16
Con 12
Int 8
Wis 14
Chr 14

Equipment armor and weapons:
No armor, short Sword, Whip, Uses Pact weapon to create a Chain-Spear with Reach "the Get over here" ability using lightning lure cantrip reflavored.

Monk abilities: (6ki points DC-14)
Flurry of blows
Patient defence
Step of the wind
Deflect missiles
Stunning strike
Ki-empowered strikes
Touch of death (reduce creature within 5ft to 0hp,gain 8 THP)
**edit** Warlock "Dark ones Blessing" +6 Temp HP when reducing Foe to 0hp**edit**
**+14 THP when reducing foe to 0hp!!!!!**
Extra attack
Hour of reaping (everyone within 30ft can see you must succeed on WIS save or be frightened till end of your turn)

Comments
Modeled after Mortal Combat Scorpion. Lone survivor of his clan he seeks revenge for their death. (Haunted one background) He has entered a pact with Asmodeous towards that end.
Covers his Face with his mask, will remove it and use Mask of Many faces to display a Flaming Skull head and use intimidate/Monk Hour of Reaping ability to frighten his opponents.
"get over here" ability could use command spell or lightning lure reflavored.
Uses fire spells, and Elemental adept to ignore resistance to fire spells.
Misty step to surprise opponent and attack with flurry of blows.
Suggested spells: Lightning Lure(c), Greenflame Blade(c), Eldritch Blast(c), Hex(1), Hellish Rebuke(1), Darkness(2), Misty Step(2), Scorching Ray(2)
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/74/ef/b6/74efb6cde3010e1e6eda48833f348964.jpg

Gastronomie
2016-09-03, 06:31 PM
I prefer Fighter 1/Warlock 9 for Bladelocks. Having level 5 spell slots and having level 4 spell slots is completely different. Even if you often use Darkness often, spells such as Command, Banishment, Hold Person, Invisibility, Fly, and Armor of Agathys benefit a lot from level 5 spell slots.

War Caster is more important than STR +2, but at level 10, unless you went Variant Human, you can take only two ASIs/Feats. So it goes like this for races:

Variant Human
Original Stats: 15-8-14-8-10-15
With Bonuses: 16-8-14-8-10-16
After one ASI: 18-8-14-8-10-16 (If you're going 16-16-16, Half-Elves are better at level 10)

Half-Elf
Original Stats: 15-8-15-8-10-14
With Bonuses: 16-8-16-8-10-16
(If you want 16-16-16 for STR-CON-CHA, Half-Elves are slightly better than Variant Human due to extra skills and Fey Ancestry. Variant Human allows you to get 18-14-16, which is the difference between these two.)

Goliath
Original Stats: 15-8-15-8-8-15
With Bonuses: 17-8-16-8-8-15
(You can later take STR +1 and CHA +1 as an ASI, at Warlock level 12, to get 18-16-16 and get on same terms as Variant Human, so at total level 13 or higher, the difference between Variant Humans/Half-Elves and Goliaths/Half-Orcs/other +2/+1 races in general becomes smaller, or in fact these +2/+1 races become even better than Variant Humans due to their neat abilities, Stone's Endurance in the Goliath's case. 8 WIS can hurt you at times, but if required you can just use Dark One's Own Luck.
However, this is a level 10 build, so this probably isn't the most optimal choice.)

Bladelocks don't need Agonizing Blast. Give them False Life, which gives them 8 temporary HP between every single encounter. It partially overlaps with Armor of Agathys and Dark One's Blessing but you can never have enough HP boosts, given how important it is for you as a tank.

Spamming Darkness + Devil's Sight for constant advantage on your attacks, constant disadvantage on your opponents' attacks, and not getting targeted by your opponent's target spells is, as always, beyond awesome. It also increases your tankiness due to getting hit much less.

You wrote "Not a great AC", but with Plate armor (AC18) which you should have already gotten at level 10 it's pretty good, and if you really want to get defensive you can get the Defense fighting style from Fighter for AC 19 (Great Weapon Fighting is not bad, but not particularly good either). Your constant stacking of temporary HP make up much more than enough for your bit-lower-than-average HP, and if you get in a dangerous situation during fights you can always use Armor of Agathys or Mirror Image as back-up options (both are good, but Armor of Agathys probably serves you better at this level - both don't require concentration, which is totally boss).

Klorox
2016-09-03, 06:39 PM
I prefer Fighter 1/Warlock 9 for Bladelocks. Having level 5 spell slots and having level 4 spell slots is completely different. Even if you often use Darkness often, spells such as Command, Banishment, Hold Person, Invisibility, Fly, and Armor of Agathys benefit a lot from level 5 spell slots.

War Caster is more important than STR +2, but at level 10, unless you went Variant Human, you can take only two ASIs/Feats. So it goes like this for races:

Variant Human
Original Stats: 15-8-14-8-10-15
With Bonuses: 16-8-14-8-10-16
After one ASI: 18-8-14-8-10-16 (If you're going 16-16-16, Half-Elves are better at level 10)

Half-Elf
Original Stats: 15-8-15-8-10-14
With Bonuses: 16-8-16-8-10-16
(If you want 16-16-16 for STR-CON-CHA, Half-Elves are slightly better than Variant Human due to extra skills and Fey Ancestry. Variant Human allows you to get 18-14-16, which is the difference between these two.)

Goliath
Original Stats: 15-8-15-8-8-15
With Bonuses: 17-8-16-8-8-15
(You can later take STR +1 and CHA +1 as an ASI, at Warlock level 12, to get 18-16-16 and get on same terms as Variant Human, so at total level 13 or higher, the difference between Variant Humans/Half-Elves and Goliaths/Half-Orcs/other +2/+1 races in general becomes smaller, or in fact these +2/+1 races become even better than Variant Humans due to their neat abilities, Stone's Endurance in the Goliath's case. 8 WIS can hurt you at times, but if required you can just use Dark One's Own Luck.
However, this is a level 10 build, so this probably isn't the most optimal choice.)

Bladelocks don't need Agonizing Blast. Give them False Life, which gives them 8 temporary HP between every single encounter. It partially overlaps with Armor of Agathys and Dark One's Blessing but you can never have enough HP boosts, given how important it is for you as a tank.

Spamming Darkness + Devil's Sight for constant advantage on your attacks, constant disadvantage on your opponents' attacks, and not getting targeted by your opponent's target spells is, as always, beyond awesome. It also increases your tankiness due to getting hit much less.

You wrote "Not a great AC", but with Plate armor (AC18) which you should have already gotten at level 10 it's pretty good, and if you really want to get defensive you can get the Defense fighting style from Fighter for AC 19 (Great Weapon Fighting is not bad, but not particularly good either). Your constant stacking of temporary HP make up much more than enough for your bit-lower-than-average HP, and if you get in a dangerous situation during fights you can always use Armor of Agathys or Mirror Image as back-up options (both are good, but Armor of Agathys probably serves you better at this level - both don't require concentration, which is totally boss).

It looks like you're putting warcaster on the variant human at level 1, which you can not, since the requirement for the feat is the ability to cast a spell.

Tikkun
2016-09-03, 07:27 PM
Warlocks get 2 cantrips and 2 known spells along with a first level spell slot. So you can take warcaster as a first level feat.

bid
2016-09-03, 07:43 PM
Warlocks get 2 cantrips and 2 known spells along with a first level spell slot. So you can take warcaster as a first level feat.
Maybe level 1 was the fighter, you know.

Klorox
2016-09-03, 08:29 PM
I'd assume level 1 is a fighter level.

Heavy armor is pretty much a must-have for a melee character with a DEX of 8.

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-09-03, 08:55 PM
More like any class that depends on Charisma 18 / Warlock 2.

You only need Cha 13.

Gastronomie
2016-09-03, 09:13 PM
It looks like you're putting warcaster on the variant human at level 1, which you can not, since the requirement for the feat is the ability to cast a spell.No, it's possible to put Great Weapon Master at level 1, proceeding to take War Caster at Fighter 1/Warlock 4, and a +2 STR bonus at Fighter 1/Warlock 8.

ES Curse
2016-09-04, 02:20 AM
Tomelock 3/Lore Bard X: "A little bit of everyone"

Mad Puppy
2016-09-04, 10:13 AM
Tomelock 3/Lore Bard X: "A little bit of everyone"

I would like to see this one built-up with an overall concept. I hear a lot about this combo, just not a lot of builds. The Swiss army knife of the party.
I once came up with the following concept: perhaps you could build based on this?

Mountain Dwarf Valorous Bard/Warlock (Blade) Though Lore Bard could work very well also
I call him the hammer singer!
I named him Ollum Hammersong
Collect history books of famous Dwarf Heroes (This is how he ended up making a pact with a very old Dwarf who resides in the feywild, thinks he is emulating his hero)
Writing his own Biography of his travels and Victories in battle, securing his own inflated ego.
Looking For Dwarven Artifacts
Ornery, Hot tempered, Loud, Scandalous
Make a Gun sign with your hands to shoot your Eldritch Blast
Dissonant Whispers, Tasha's hideous laughter,
Vicious mockery, Hex your victim, and hammer him to death, Rinse repeat....

Sing Irish Pub songs, and bring the hammer down.
Can "call" your hammer for role play effect.
Speak in your best Yosemite Sam voice (No need for a Scottish accent)
Favorite phrases:
"It's Hammer slappin' time!"
"You'll hear me hammer sing"
"Ooooooooo I hates Goblins"
You elf's is long eared Galoots"
Thems Fight'n Words"
"When I say Whoa I mean WHOA!"
"That's what I get fer trustin' a Elf"
"Any of you Lily livered Varmints wanna slap hammers wit me?"

Question on the Warlock builds? Are invocations based on Warlock levels or Character levels?
I ask because you could take a 2 level dip in warlock but still get higher end invocations if based on character level.
That would really make a simple dip WELL worth it.

PeteNutButter
2016-09-04, 02:37 PM
I would like to see this one built-up with an overall concept. I hear a lot about this combo, just not a lot of builds. The Swiss army knife of the party.
I once came up with the following concept: perhaps you could build based on this?

Mountain Dwarf Valorous Bard/Warlock (Blade) Though Lore Bard could work very well also
I call him the hammer singer!
I named him Ollum Hammersong
Collect history books of famous Dwarf Heroes (This is how he ended up making a pact with a very old Dwarf who resides in the feywild, thinks he is emulating his hero)
Writing his own Biography of his travels and Victories in battle, securing his own inflated ego.
Looking For Dwarven Artifacts
Ornery, Hot tempered, Loud, Scandalous
Make a Gun sign with your hands to shoot your Eldritch Blast
Dissonant Whispers, Tasha's hideous laughter,
Vicious mockery, Hex your victim, and hammer him to death, Rinse repeat....

Sing Irish Pub songs, and bring the hammer down.
Can "call" your hammer for role play effect.
Speak in your best Yosemite Sam voice (No need for a Scottish accent)
Favorite phrases:
"It's Hammer slappin' time!"
"You'll hear me hammer sing"
"Ooooooooo I hates Goblins"
You elf's is long eared Galoots"
Thems Fight'n Words"
"When I say Whoa I mean WHOA!"
"That's what I get fer trustin' a Elf"
"Any of you Lily livered Varmints wanna slap hammers wit me?"

Question on the Warlock builds? Are invocations based on Warlock levels or Character levels?
I ask because you could take a 2 level dip in warlock but still get higher end invocations if based on character level.
That would really make a simple dip WELL worth it.

The eratta version of phb specify warlock level, otherwise... Problems.

Anyways I think there is a serious lack of cleric MC here. Short rest healing is very strong and there are several domains that can do some work with warlock. I'd like a life cleric 1/warlock 9 for that level 5 vampiric touch spamming 5d6 necrotic a round and healing for half plus 7. Maybe make it a blade lock and pick up sentinel to make sure people don't just walk away... Sustain Tank for days.

Mad Puppy
2016-09-04, 03:06 PM
The eratta version of phb specify warlock level, otherwise... Problems.

Anyways I think there is a serious lack of cleric MC here. Short rest healing is very strong and there are several domains that can do some work with warlock. I'd like a life cleric 1/warlock 9 for that level 5 vampiric touch spamming 5d6 necrotic a round and healing for half plus 7. Maybe make it a blade lock and pick up sentinel to make sure people don't just walk away... Sustain Tank for days.

Call me old fashioned but.....
As a DM I would have serious issues with the bolded above. A Worshipper of a God making a pact with anything else.
Gods are Jealous masters.
In all truth if my player as a Cleric were to deal with the Devil so to speak, they would lose all Clerical abilities and be excommunicated from their religion. Same goes for a Paladin who gains their abilities from Divine Servitude, and the Druid for that matter.

Sir cryosin
2016-09-04, 03:38 PM
As a DM I would have serious issues with the bolded above. A Worshipper of a God making a pact with anything else.
In all truth if my player as a Cleric were to deal with the Devil so to speak, they would lose all Clerical abilities and be excommunicated from their religion. Same goes for a Paladin who gains their abilities from Divine Servitude, and the Druid for that matter.

It's really not that uncommon for people to worship many god's. And lots of God's are find with worshiper worshiping outer god's if they are party of the same Pantheon. And I can see two god's or powerful being's. Giving power to a pc trying to sway the pc in there favor. Or a player might made a contract with a fiend but there god not take back there power because they wish to bring back the pc to grace. Not everything is black and white we live in shades of Grey.

Klorox
2016-09-04, 06:30 PM
No, it's possible to put Great Weapon Master at level 1, proceeding to take War Caster at Fighter 1/Warlock 4, and a +2 STR bonus at Fighter 1/Warlock 8.

Sorry, I hadn't seen GWM mentioned.

Byke
2016-09-04, 06:47 PM
" Bladelocks don't need Agonizing Blast. Give them False Life, which gives them 8 temporary HP between every single encounter. It partially overlaps with Armor of Agathys and Dark One's Blessing but you can never have enough HP boosts, given how important it is for you as a tank."

I feel that having better damage for range situations and flying opponents outweighs the 8 hp per encounter.

Gastronomie
2016-09-04, 08:39 PM
Sorry, I hadn't seen GWM mentioned.I should have been more clear. GWM was already mentioned in the first post made by imaginary, and I sorta had this impression that GWM is mandatory for Bladelocks, so I forgot to say it myself. Sorry about being confusing.

Level 1 Variant Human: Great Weapon Master
Fighter 1/Warlock 4: War Caster
Fighter 1/Warlock 8: STR +2

Is what I was thinking.

" Bladelocks don't need Agonizing Blast. Give them False Life, which gives them 8 temporary HP between every single encounter. It partially overlaps with Armor of Agathys and Dark One's Blessing but you can never have enough HP boosts, given how important it is for you as a tank."
I feel that having better damage for range situations and flying opponents outweighs the 8 hp per encounter.Yeah, I might have talked too much from just "my perspective".

This is mostly a matter of personal preference TBH. If you want to be a "versatile" sort of Bladelock who can be both a good melee character and a good ranged character, Agonizing Blast is sure useful, but I can't think up a reason why you'd want to be ranged over melee, when you can be so tanky. I've never ever created a Bladelock to be "versatile" - for me, Bladelocks were always a "melee build who can also use spells. I generally prefer frontline characteres over ranged characters, because I like taking damage from my opponents' attacks (no, I'm not masochist, it's just that when I'm firing spells from range without taking damage, it doesn't feel like I'm really fighting for me, and I personally find it sorta boring).

With 8 temporary HP inbetween every single fight, you will be superior in terms of tankiness than even a pure Fighter. If you wish to focus on being melee, False Life is the best way to go.

I personally value Repelling Blast over Agonizing Blast. Repelling Blast gives you field control, which makes it an option that can be more different from melee attacks.

Personally I'd also prefer Minions of Chaos over Mask of Many Faces for this level, especially with War Caster, but imaginary seems to really want to keep Mask of Many Faces, so that's that.

PeteNutButter
2016-09-05, 02:21 AM

Comments like this always amuse me. Odd class combinations are where some of the best fluff can come from. Easy excuses for a warlock cleric:
-Your patron is your god or an agent of your god.
-Your god killed your patron or the other way around depending on which class you end up in.
-Your character has multiple loyalties but for some reason (fate?) both sides refuse to relinquish power, both eager to have you as a pawn.
-etc you can make it more complex as you go.

My point is DMs that say you can't combine certain classes might as well say all wizards have to look like Gandalf and rangers like Aragorn. Let people be outside of the box and you get characters like Drizzt and the like.

Mad Puppy
2016-09-05, 08:46 AM
Comments like this always amuse me. Odd class combinations are where some of the best fluff can come from. Easy excuses for a warlock cleric:
-Your patron is your god or an agent of your god.
-Your god killed your patron or the other way around depending on which class you end up in.
-Your character has multiple loyalties but for some reason (fate?) both sides refuse to relinquish power, both eager to have you as a pawn.
-etc you can make it more complex as you go.

My point is DMs that say you can't combine certain classes might as well say all wizards have to look like Gandalf and rangers like Aragorn. Let people be outside of the box and you get characters like Drizzt and the like.

All good points, by you as well as by Sir Cryosin.
I rescind my comment.
I do like to see all combinations. So could I see a Warlock Cleric build? there is definite possibilities. Paladin/Warlock has been built a lot.

deathadder99
2016-09-05, 12:00 PM
I should have been more clear. GWM was already mentioned in the first post made by imaginary, and I sorta had this impression that GWM is mandatory for Bladelocks, so I forgot to say it myself. Sorry about being confusing.

Level 1 Variant Human: Great Weapon Master
Fighter 1/Warlock 4: War Caster
Fighter 1/Warlock 8: STR +2

I would personally rate PAM over GWM, the extra butt attack synergises with Hex and eventually Lifedrinker. I just don't think that the -5/+10 strike is that good against hard opponents. GWM also has anti-synergy with Hex - you only get your bonus action attack when you actually want to move Hex.

Just my $0.02, feel free to convince me otherwise :)

imaginary
2016-09-05, 12:41 PM
Thanks Gastronomie for your suggestions on a Bladelock. A few follow-up points and questions for you:

I take it you think the fighter's Action Surge ability at level 2 isn't worth delaying the Warlock's spell advancement?
I can see False Life being more useful than Agonizing Blast. I partially didn't take it because I'm assuming someone in the group would have Inspiring Leader. How well do you think False Life scales?
I didn't state, but should have that I assumed Human (variant) for all the classes, principle for the ASIs, but you bring up some good options. Half-elf is tempting. Otherwise taking Warcaster seems to make sense for a Human.
Your point about having a low AC is well taken, it would be that low.
You also mentioned that I'm a bit stuck on Mask of Many Faces. Not necessarily true, but I do think it could have a lot of role-playing potential, especially when the whole party can do it. But it obviously isn't optimal for combat and comes at a cost. But tell me more about why you think Minions of Chaos is good? I generally tend to avoid the once ever long rest abilities, but say more. I hadn't considered it before.

imaginary
2016-09-05, 01:05 PM

To the point above, I've been trying to think of a good healing build for a warlock. I'd be curious to get other people's thoughts.

Option 1:
Cleric 1 (Life) / Warlock 9+
Gets access to heavy armor/shield and low level cleric spells, which is awesome. And potentially a familiar to deliver touch healing spells. But healing spells would use Wis which causes problems or makes the character a bit more MAD. Is it worth the investment in Wis to start?

Option 2:
Sorcerer 8+ (Favored Soul - Life) / Warlock 2 (Undying Light)
Favored Soul would give access to a number of healing spells, and use Chr as a modifier rather than Wis. The character would get access to medium armor/shield, so it would require a moderate investment in Dex. She would get proficiency in Con which seems to be much sought after. Radiant Soul would also stack on some offensive damage.

Option 3:
Bard 7 (Lore) / Cleric 1 (Life) / Warlock 2
This is an unusual multi-class with a focus on healing. Life cleric gives her a healing bonus from the Life Domain, and access to heavy armor and shield proficiencies, but does again require a Wis of at least 13. Bard provides additional spells for damage mitigation, healing, and control. Magical Secrets give her access to Goodberry (for the 40 HPs of healing per spell outside of combat) and other helpful healing spells. And of course bard uses Chr for spell modifies. With 3 classes, she doesn't have as many feats/ability score increases, but she would make a good skill monkey with a moderate defense. The great thing about Goodberry + Life Domain trick is lots of quick out of combat healing, though I'm not sure if it is totally worth the extra level of Cleric. Bards unto themselves don't make bad healers.

Thoughts?

imaginary
2016-09-05, 01:15 PM
Well, a stupid one I made here. (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?499182-A-stupid-build-for-abusing-Greenflame-Blade-against-high-AC-opponents&p=21162195)
Comments Elemental Affinity+Radiant soul allows you to add your Charisma modifier twice to fire damage. With 18 Charisma, you cast greenflame blade on a chicken, rolling 1d20+7 with advantage to hit an AC 10/11 creature with advantage, on a hit, automatically kills the 1 hit point creature. Hit causes greenflame blade's secondary effect, dealing 1d8+12 damage to the opponent creature, you use great weapon fighting's secondary effect to bonus action attack your opponent, for 1d12+3 damage (or 1d12+13 damage with great weapon master). If you want, you can also action surge, quicken, or twin greenflame blade (note: some DMs will not allow twinning of greenflame blade). You also have an AC of 19 due to plate armour and protection (24 with shield), can heal 1d10+2 hit points as a bonus action, and always have 8 temporary hit points (from fiendish vigour).

Nice idea Belac. Green Flame Blade would certainly be cool with stacked Chr mods, especially if you can add Shillelagh in.

imaginary
2016-09-05, 01:22 PM
Modeled after Mortal Combat Scorpion. Lone survivor of his clan he seeks revenge for their death. (Haunted one background) He has entered a pact with Asmodeous towards that end. Covers his Face with his mask, will remove it and use Mask of Many faces to display a Flaming Skull head and use intimidate/Monk Hour of Reaping ability to frighten his opponents. "get over here" ability could use command spell or lightning lure reflavored. Uses fire spells, and Elemental adept to ignore resistance to fire spells. Misty step to surprise opponent and attack with flurry of blows.

Love the Scorpion build Mad Puppy. Multi-classing with Monk does seem a bit MAD, but it is a great RPing theme and implementation. Especially with the Shadow patron. I like the idea of using Mask of Many Face to completely obscure your face and/or intimidate your foes.

I did try a Warlock 5 (Tome) / Bard 5 (Lore) build, but it didn't seem to come together for me. I had to go to Warlock 5 to get Tome of Ancient Secrets and Mask of Many Faces. So all in all: ritual casting (from any class), lots of skills, lots of cantrips, and eventually Magical Secrets. Great for out of combat utility. But I had a hard time making her work in combat with lower level spells (in general) and lower AC. I guess I could give up Mask of Many Faces and only take 3 levels of Warlock. But I still haven't found a great build yet. But one of the things my party list above is certainly lacking is Ritual Casting. Thoughts welcome.

Edit: Added part of Warlock/Bard build.

Jazcobo
2016-09-05, 03:22 PM
Lots of blank space to fill, not relevant for the main concept it´s free in order to get the feeling of the carácter.

Warlock 9 (Cleric War,Storm or anything that gives martial weapons and heavy armour)
Patron Fiend

Role
Field Control, Mob smasher, Tank
Healer if needed.

Invocations
Devil's Sight

Repelling Blast

Thirsting Blade

Feats/AS

Polemaster

Combat caster

Saving Throws
?, ?

Str
2nd Best (try to get 15 in order to handle full plate)
Dex
Dump
Con
4th stat
Int
Dump
Wis
Need 13
Chr
BEST
Equipment
armor and weapons
Heavy, Glaive

Comments

Start at the front. If something gets on your reach "polemaster" grants you a reaction, warcaster allows you to cast a spell, you can blast it away sending him backwards with repelling blast, cast darkness to give a nasty surprise or just hit him.
As warlock you can cast cleric spells like healing Word with your (almost) full power.
As dps you do fine with 4 attacks per round (remember the darkness advantage) as tank you really can work it great, healing yourself with every killing. Evocators will be pleased to drop fireballs in that black spot you marked (he don´t need to see just cover the área). Area damage (cloud of daggers) can be reused.

Your cleric spells will be buffs and utility, remember you can cast with those slots warlok spells like Hex, and you can cast as a warlok a healing Word lvl5 in time of need.

Play your reach, position is everything you can hit at 10' and move back and getting afar will make them vulnerable to the blast trick ( no movement left to get me )

imaginary
2016-09-05, 03:35 PM
Start at the front. If something gets on your reach "polemaster" grants you a reaction, warcaster allows you to cast a spell, you can blast it away sending him backwards with repelling blast, cast darkness to give a nasty surprise or just hit him.
As warlock you can cast cleric spells like healing Word with your (almost) full power.
As dps you do fine with 4 attacks per round (remember the darkness advantage) as tank you really can work it great, healing yourself with every killing. Evocators will be pleased to drop fireballs in that black spot you marked (he don´t need to see just cover the área). Area damage (cloud of daggers) can be reused.

Your cleric spells will be buffs and utility, remember you can cast with those slots warlok spells like Hex, and you can cast as a warlok a healing Word lvl5 in time of need.

Play your reach, position is everything you can hit at 10' and move back and getting afar will make them vulnerable to the blast trick ( no movement left to get me )

Nice ideas Jazcobo.

Debate 1:
Great Weapon Master/Warcaster/Agonizing Blast vs Polearm Master/Warcaster/Repelling Blast?
There seems to be more synergy with the later.

Debate 2:
Cleric 1(war/storm) vs Fighter 1?
I'm heard both sides of this one. It is a tough choice. You make a good point about using the cleric slots for Hex. Though this build lacks Con saves.

imaginary
2016-09-05, 03:45 PM
Simplified build template below:

Class
Class x / Warlock x (Patron)

Role
??

Race
Human (Variant)

Pact (if applicable)
??

Invocations
Devil's Sight
Mask of Many Faces(?)
??

Feats/ASI
??

Saving Throws
?, ?

Ability Scores
Str 8, Dex 8, Con 8, Int 8, Wis 8, Chr 8 (or in order of priority)

Primary Equipment
list armor type and weapons type

Comments

PeteNutButter
2016-09-05, 03:57 PM
To the point above, I've been trying to think of a good healing build for a warlock. I'd be curious to get other people's thoughts.

Option 3:
Bard 7 (Lore) / Cleric 1 (Life) / Warlock 2
This is an unusual multi-class with a focus on healing. Life cleric gives her a healing bonus from the Life Domain, and access to heavy armor and shield proficiencies, but does again require a Wis of at least 13. Bard provides additional spells for damage mitigation, healing, and control. Magical Secrets give her access to Goodberry (for the 40 HPs of healing per spell outside of combat) and other helpful healing spells. And of course bard uses Chr for spell modifies. With 3 classes, she doesn't have as many feats/ability score increases, but she would make a good skill monkey with a moderate defense. The great thing about Goodberry + Life Domain trick is lots of quick out of combat healing, though I'm not sure if it is totally worth the extra level of Cleric. Bards unto themselves don't make bad healers.

Option 3 has the most raw power but what a mess. I'd even suggest forgoing the level 7 bard for Druid 1 for goodberry since you have the wisdom and you'll mostly be up casting spells already. That way you could grab aura of vitality and an offensive spell of your choice be it fireball or maybe hunger of hadar. All that's assuming you are starting at level 10... I'd never want to play through that hobgoblin.

Simple fact is because aura of vitality exists lore bards are THE healers from level 6 on.

From there I'd continue on to sorcerer to get some metamagic up in that cluster**** of a PC. Honestly warlock has little place in that build.

If I were to build a cleric lock for healing I'd go for quantity over quality. Who cares if your spells don't heal as much if you do them forever.

Life cleric 1/sorcerer 4/warlock 5+ and start the day with a couple short rest metamagic refills and have heals for days. Your heals might not be as strong, but as long as you are standing the party can get up to two people up as a bonus action every round via a twinned healing word. All that with plenty of offensive power to go with it.

imaginary
2016-09-05, 04:05 PM
If something gets on your reach "polemaster" grants you a reaction, warcaster allows you to cast a spell, you can blast it away sending him backwards with repelling blast, cast darkness to give a nasty surprise or just hit him.

Correction, it looks like there was an errata (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?440961-Warlock-Warcaster-Polearm-Madness!) that states that you can't use Polearm Master to grant an opportunity spell attack with Warcaster. The opportunity attack must be with the polearm.

Byke
2016-09-05, 04:56 PM
Is what I was thinking.

Yeah, I might have talked too much from just "my perspective".

This is mostly a matter of personal preference TBH. If you want to be a "versatile" sort of Bladelock who can be both a good melee character and a good ranged character, Agonizing Blast is sure useful, but I can't think up a reason why you'd want to be ranged over melee, when you can be so tanky. I've never ever created a Bladelock to be "versatile" - for me, Bladelocks were always a "melee build who can also use spells. I generally prefer frontline characteres over ranged characters, because I like taking damage from my opponents' attacks (no, I'm not masochist, it's just that when I'm firing spells from range without taking damage, it doesn't feel like I'm really fighting for me, and I personally find it sorta boring).

With 8 temporary HP inbetween every single fight, you will be superior in terms of tankiness than even a pure Fighter. If you wish to focus on being melee, False Life is the best way to go.

I personally value Repelling Blast over Agonizing Blast. Repelling Blast gives you field control, which makes it an option that can be more different from melee attacks.

I agree it definitely a matter of personal preference and the table your playing at. I do value the versatility over the extra tankiness and we ALWAYS have a fighter or barb tank in our group.

Gastronomie
2016-09-05, 05:18 PM
I would personally rate PAM over GWM, the extra butt attack synergises with Hex and eventually Lifedrinker. I just don't think that the -5/+10 strike is that good against hard opponents. GWM also has anti-synergy with Hex - you only get your bonus action attack when you actually want to move Hex.

Just my $0.02, feel free to convince me otherwise :)Hex is good, but Darkness is even better. Gain advantage on all your attacks, bestow disadvantage on all your opponents' attacks, and don't get targeted by enemy spells or abilities that rely on sight. The -5 doesn't matter if you have advantage.

Of course, PAM builds are strong too, but it's only after level 13 (Fighter 1/Warlock 12) that they get truly yummy via Lifedrinker. This is a level 10 build, and the TC said he wants Devil's Sight, so I supposed GWM Bladelocks were probably the better choice.

BTW, GWM gets good again after level 18, when he gets Foresight.]

It's actually also a valid option at high levels to get both GWM and PAM and use GWM on your polearm attacks...

Thanks Gastronomie for your suggestions on a Bladelock. A few follow-up points and questions for you:

I take it you think the fighter's Action Surge ability at level 2 isn't worth delaying the Warlock's spell advancement?
I can see False Life being more useful than Agonizing Blast. I partially didn't take it because I'm assuming someone in the group would have Inspiring Leader. How well do you think False Life scales?
I didn't state, but should have that I assumed Human (variant) for all the classes, principle for the ASIs, but you bring up some good options. Half-elf is tempting. Otherwise taking Warcaster seems to make sense for a Human.
Your point about having a low AC is well taken, it would be that low.
You also mentioned that I'm a bit stuck on Mask of Many Faces. Not necessarily true, but I do think it could have a lot of role-playing potential, especially when the whole party can do it. But it obviously isn't optimal for combat and comes at a cost. But tell me more about why you think Minions of Chaos is good? I generally tend to avoid the once ever long rest abilities, but say more. I hadn't considered it before.
Action Surge is very good, but it's also the only ability you get at Fighter 2. I advice you first go to Warlock 17 and get back to Fighter after that (Warlock 18 and 19 gives you almost nothing).
False Life doesn't scale but it's good for most of your career. Depends on how many encounters per short/long rest your table typically has, though.
Well, for reasons mentioned you can't take Warcaster if you start human, but in the end it's the same thing.
I think you mean "wouldn't be~"? Yeah, not a bad AC.
Minions of Chaos basically gives you an extra party member for the toughest encounter of the day. Losing concentration is rarely an issue for you, since with a +7 CON save bonus and advantage on your concentration saves, the chances of you failing concentration is 2.25% (assuming the DC is 10). If you don't have War Caster it certainly is risky, but if you do, it's fun.

Byke
2016-09-05, 06:21 PM
http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/49851/optimal-dragonborn-warlock-for-dpr-ac-with-blade-pact-and-fiend-patron

Best DPR thread I have found comparing EB/PAM/GWM

Talionis
2016-09-05, 07:13 PM
Class
Wizard 8 /Warlock 2 (Fey)

Role
Tank

Race
Mountain Dwarf (Variant)

Pact (if applicable)
??

Invocations
Devil's Sight
Mask of Many Faces
(armor of shadows) would allow you to refresh your Abjuration armor, but my GM didn't allow it and it's not necessary so Invocations are open. Agonizing Blast and Repelling Blast also have used but not integral.

Feats/ASI
Heavy Armor & Heavy Armor, but neither is nessessary. Resilient Constitution and Warcaster also really good feats but just upradimg Intelligence might be worth doing

Saving Throws
?, ?

Ability Scores
Int, Con, Cha (order of priority)

Primary Equipment
Medium Armor you are okay getting hit some, just not all the time.

Potions of Resistance help you make your Armor of Agathys last as long as possible per cast.

Comments

Big Spell is Armor of Agathys. You use Lightning Lure to pull things close to you. You use spells like Shield to refresh your Abjuration Ward as much as necessary, but you can trigger Armor of Agathys and Fire Shield retaliation triggers even on misses. But casting Shield also refills your Abjuration Ward. If Armor of Agathys temporary hit points go away recasting it also recharges your Abjuratiim Ward. Spell Recovery and Warlock spells are primarily used for low level spells that recharge Abjuration Ward. Alarm is a ritual that allows you to start all fights with a full Abjuration Ward without a spell slot and without cheese.

Often just position yourself to take melee hits and then cast actual spells or use melee spells to attack or pull people close to you. But you are free to be a Wizard and cast the best spell for the situation and you may still do some damage.

Mad Puppy
2016-09-05, 07:37 PM
One more item for the Scorpion Build.
I assumed they don't stack however.....
Long death Monk has "Touch of death" Temp HP when reducing Foe to 0hp (8hp for Scorion build)
Fiend Pact Warlock has "Dark ones Blessing" Temp HP when reducing Foe to 0hp (6hp for Scorpion Build)
If they in fact stack, that is 14 THP when dropping a foe!

Anyone have thoughts on stacking the two? Feels wrong but hey if it flies it's pretty sweet.

imaginary
2016-09-05, 09:02 PM
One more item for the Scorpion Build.
I assumed they don't stack however.....
Long death Monk has "Touch of death" Temp HP when reducing Foe to 0hp (8hp for Scorion build)
Fiend Pact Warlock has "Dark ones Blessing" Temp HP when reducing Foe to 0hp (6hp for Scorpion Build)
If they in fact stack, that is 14 THP when dropping a foe!

Anyone have thoughts on stacking the two? Feels wrong but hey if it flies it's pretty sweet.

Unfortunately different sources of temporary hp don't stack, only the highest apply.

imaginary
2016-09-05, 10:11 PM
Comments

Big Spell is Armor of Agathys. You use Lightning Lure to pull things close to you. You use spells like Shield to refresh your Abjuration Ward as much as necessary, but you can trigger Armor of Agathys and Fire Shield retaliation triggers even on misses. But casting Shield also refills your Abjuration Ward. If Armor of Agathys temporary hit points go away recasting it also recharges your Abjuratiim Ward. Spell Recovery and Warlock spells are primarily used for low level spells that recharge Abjuration Ward. Alarm is a ritual that allows you to start all fights with a full Abjuration Ward without a spell slot and without cheese.

Often just position yourself to take melee hits and then cast actual spells or use melee spells to attack or pull people close to you. But you are free to be a Wizard and cast the best spell for the situation and you may still do some damage.

I've never been a huge fan of Abjuration Ward because it doesn't seem to scale well. But have you ever used a build like this in combat, how did it work?

Maxilian
2016-09-06, 09:06 AM

Well the pact could be with an entity that serve that god but its somewhat weaker, like a servant of it (Or just a God and a entity that share their "ideals" somehow) i mostly like it as a DM, cause sometimes... those 2 entities may have different plans and you (the PC) may be forced to choose who is he/she going to serve till the end

Talionis
2016-09-06, 11:23 AM
I've never been a huge fan of Abjuration Ward because it doesn't seem to scale well. But have you ever used a build like this in combat, how did it work?

I'm running it now at level 12 in a campaign. I find it to be very significant so far. I'm with you it doesn't scale up as much as I'd like, but Armor of Agathys scales pretty well. I'm finding more opportunities to get resistances which also help to keep Armor up.

I also like the almost full caster in Wizard which is one of the best spell lists in the game.

imaginary
2016-09-06, 12:49 PM
I'm running it now at level 12 in a campaign. I find it to be very significant so far. I'm with you it doesn't scale up as much as I'd like, but Armor of Agathys scales pretty well. I'm finding more opportunities to get resistances which also help to keep Armor up.

I also like the almost full caster in Wizard which is one of the best spell lists in the game.

So how do you run your Warlock/Wizard, do you just wade into melee combat and use Armor of Agathys offensively, or do you use it as a deterrent. What level do you normally cast Armor of Agathys at? I'm particularly interested in your feats and invocations.

PeteNutButter
2016-09-06, 03:35 PM

I tried a build like this for a one off at level 5 and my biggest problem was monsters learned not to attack me. I might try it again if I can convince my moon Druid buddy to let me ride him. I can take mounted combat and FORCE them to attack me over him. Bonus points because he never risks losing concentration.

Talionis
2016-09-06, 07:11 PM
So how do you run your Warlock/Wizard, do you just wade into melee combat and use Armor of Agathys offensively, or do you use it as a deterrent. What level do you normally cast Armor of Agathys at? I'm particularly interested in your feats and invocations.

I do normally do run right in with the Paladin. Our GM does allow creatures to make the mistake of attacking me and then smart creatures stop attacking me which then allows me a variety of possibilities and adds to my survivability. But not every creature does that some will keep attacking me and that can drain resources. But I get a lot of use out a high level slot for Armor of Agathys. But I feel like I'm not wasting the low level spell slots by casting Shield a lot because I get the Warlock slots and Arcane Recovery.

Over the course of the day, I usually can't use just one tactic which makes it fun. I do use a lot of Eldritch Blast a lot when things run away from me and I can't pull them back with Lightning Lure. Occasionally, I'm almost out of spells as day goes on and I play more like a Squishy, but it's really nice to not have to hide for most of the day.

I'm not point buy so I have 18 Intelligence boosted to 20 which is why I chose Wizard and my only fear is Warcaster. Invocations I have agonizing blast and Silent Image at will. Although Armor of Shadows (at will Mage Armor to reset the Ward is better optimization my GM wouldn't okay it). I actually get a lot of mileage out of Shield spell because I'm wearing medium armor.

R.Shackleford
2016-09-06, 07:20 PM
Did no one post the Warlock/Wizard multiclass that sends your effective HP through the stratosphere? I"ll need to find it but Human variant or Dwarven Abjuration Wizard/Warlock (Armor of A) i think is the basics of the build.

Talionis
2016-09-06, 07:23 PM

Did no one post the Warlock/Wizard multiclass that sends your effective HP through the stratosphere? I"ll need to find it but Human variant or Dwarven Abjuration Wizard/Warlock (Armor of A) i think is the basics of the build.

I did a day ago with a pretty detailed post.

R.Shackleford
2016-09-06, 07:38 PM
I did a day ago with a pretty detailed post.

Ah, I didn't see it on the OP with the other buidls.