PDA

View Full Version : A Year Since The Fall - IC

LastCenturion
2016-09-03, 10:05 PM
"So. I was thinking..." begins your friend Oscar, as you step together into the tavern for your dinner. "I'd like to climb the mountain. I know nobody else has yet, so there's bound to be a lot of stuff waiting up there. At the worst, we can look around this continent and figure out where stuff is. What do you all say?"

Oscar is a good friend, and you know that he's capable, so you agree to consider it.
I watch too much HIMYM

What do you do, go?

Ramsus
2016-09-03, 10:19 PM
"I hadn't considered mountain climbing, but.... given how weird the world is now you're right. Who knows what might be up there. I mean.... probably monsters given our luck, but at least people here might appreciate if there were less monsters living right over them? And maybe we'll get lucky and find something.... well I have no idea what to expect from the world these days. But maybe something cool. At worst, we discover nothing and had some fun exploring. So sure, I'm in." Elise says.

JeenLeen
2016-09-04, 01:15 PM
Charles tilts his head and, well, if he had a human face he'd be chewing the edge of his lip, a typical look to show he's pondering it. In his new, draconic face, it looks more like a half-smile and is rather difficult to read.

"I'm in. We've handled trouble in the past, so we run into danger, we should be okay. And I know I can't heal much, but I can help some if either of you get injured. I'd like to see what's around here, and we should have a good view."

miinstrel
2016-09-04, 02:54 PM
Etzo walks with them up to the bar, holding up 5 lithe fingers to the server and pointing to the bottles of brew on the mirrored counter awaiting thirsty patrons. "Do you think the watch can spare all of us for a few days? Not that being 'on duty' is much different from... well this," he added looking around the tavern, "but we should check in with the captain first. Otherwise, yeah I'd love an excuse to get out of town. Probably not much hunting to be done up there, but we might come across the odd ram or something. I'll kill it you cook it, deal Charles?"

JeenLeen
2016-09-04, 07:41 PM
Charles laughs and replies, "Sounds good. Be nice to try some campfire cooking again. I haven't actually checked if I can get a good campfire going with these new lungs of mine or not," ending with a thump on his chest. "And, yeah, we should ask the captain, but I agree: it's not like there's much trouble most days, anyway. I think I work harder during my shift at the carpenter's shop than 9 out of 10 watches. Oscar, you didn't happen to already get clearance for this, did ya? I can see them agreeing if we offer to share any details on the local geography. Maybe the cheapskates will even give us supplies for some mapmakin'."

zylodrizzt
2016-09-04, 08:34 PM
ken comes in a bit later slightly smoking possibly blood on his clothes. ken says sorry team i was trying out some new things with this magic stuff nevermind that now. what did i miss? after filled in ken says so a chance to take the fight to the demons show them a real demon possibly die (like thats possible ive already tried) and possibly discover something new, i suppose i could lend a burning hand *laughs sinisterly his face darkening and eyes glow slightly* lets drink til we pass unto oblivion and set out tomorrow. he grabs the nearest whiskey bottle and begins drowning himself in it occasionally patting out a flame absently that spontaniously set his clothes on fire. Sits away from everyone a bit and mutters to himself either trying to figure out something or remembing his past sometimes laughing sometimes sobbing. lights a cigerette with his finger. eventually falls asleep in chair.

LastCenturion
2016-09-04, 08:58 PM
"Right. Um. I haven't asked the captain yet, no. I was going to get you guys on board first." says Oscar, edging a little bit away from Ken. "So... Um... Should we go ask her now? Um..." He continues. He is, typically, a little bit disconcerted with Ken's behavior.

JeenLeen
2016-09-04, 09:58 PM
Charles glances to Ken and back to Oscar. Strange fellow, that Ken, especially when he started on about demons and some of the more depressing talk, but, well, Charles was use to some gloom and doom folk he did some custom work for before. Ken sorta reminded him of them, just... with actual magical powers and actually kinda demony.

Eh, a friend's a friend, and they've both been through a lot with the changes in the world.

"I guess we could. I was planning on getting dinner now, but I don't see no harm in delaying that for a little bit." He glances to the rest of the party. "Unless any of you really want to eat first, that is. So, either now or in an hour, we go talk to her. And, um, Ken... you awake, Ken? If you want to hit the bottle pretty heavily tonight, we can tell her you plan to come along. She knows how you like to handle your nights off, so I reckon she'll understand. We won't have the luxury of much drink once we're out in the wilderness."

Charles realizes Ken may or may not have heard the last bit. Eh, either way.

miinstrel
2016-09-04, 10:24 PM
"We'll have to make it last then," Etzo winked as he pours some whiskey into a flask and tucks it into his belt. "Let's go talk to her, might as well get the conversation out of the way now I guess and then settle in for the evening. I do agree with Ken though, we should wait until first light to set out and get as much daylight in as we can." His face takes a slightly more serious look adding, "Who knows what might be lurking up there, waiting and watching for a stray lamb to steal away!" Making a little pouncing motion from behind Ken.

Ramsus
2016-09-04, 11:03 PM
Elise sighs at the "lend a burning hand" joke. Or... she thought he was trying to make a joke. She too fills up her flask with whiskey... then considers the bottle in her hands and the fact the Ken was passed out(?) and she hadn't paid for it... and shrugs and just takes a good swig of it and puts it back down on the table (though now it's practically empty).

"Now's good. We don't want to be too liquored up or tired when making any negotiations." Elise says. Then looks at Ken and says to the others, "Though it appears for some of us that ship has already sailed." and shakes her head.

zylodrizzt
2016-09-05, 05:29 AM
hehehe well i guess i do look asleep. truth is i havent slept for years at least not really, and considering how much i used to drink before this has hardly given me a buzz. its just that this poison i drink dulls this searing pain ive had since i transformed and has dulled my conscience so right now im just trying to enjoy the moment of serenity until the inevitable sobriety takes hold again . i suppose they are right it might be hard to come by whiskey heading up the mountain so i guess ill have to stock up. speaking of preparations i might want to make arrangements for someone to take care of rollie, the puppy ive found. kinda strange looking with what seems like a perpetual blur around him, he seems to like me. Well guess i better get going.

Ken stands up suddenly and says "well since we all in agreement how bout we ask her just after we eat? Ken walks over to a server Hey could you get me about 7 bottles of whiskey and a sandwich to go. after Ken receives his request and pays he yells to you all ill meet you guys later to ask i have to go make arrangements with that he leaves with a skeletal floating hand carrying the whiskey behind him and stuffing his face. Muttering about the sandwhich being cold and putting a bit more flame to it as he walks charring it propperly.

JeenLeen
2016-09-05, 11:44 AM
As Ken leaves, Charles mutters, "Grant me guidance" as he grasps the small emblem tied to his wrist. It's a nervous habit he's adopted that the others have seen countless times, something he does when feeling particularly uncertain, stressed, or annoyed.

(Assuming nothing unexpected sensed), he orders a sandwich to go and gets ready to head to see the captain.

Using Divine Sense to search for celestials, fiends, or undead in the tavern.
Charles' holy symbol (which is a strange pattern of ivy on a metal disc) is looped into a small rope tied to his hand. Sort of like a prayer rope or rosary, but without beads on it. The rope is looped around his right wrist so that it's fairly tight and he can easily grab it with his right hand when he wants to.

I figured, as a mix of healthy paranoia and a comforting sense of his patron's power, using this almost-useless power occasionally makes a good nervous habit.

Ramsus
2016-09-05, 12:44 PM
Elise watches Ken leave. Then turns to the others, "Ok.... Given he was so drunk he agreed to do 'as we agreed' the exact opposite of what I just said, I think it might be a much better idea to go talk to the captain now, before Ken gets back and we have to watch everything go terribly when he inevitably pukes on someone in the middle of negotiations."

LastCenturion
2016-09-06, 09:43 PM
An hour later, you stand outside the house of your captain, one Emily Smith. You've come this far confidently, but now on her threshold, you hesitate. "Um... do we knock? Um. Charles, she likes you, right? You should knock." Oscar hedges.

JeenLeen
2016-09-07, 07:48 AM
Jenounces gives a chuckle, then walks up to the door and gives three taps to the door. Should be enough to be heard but not so loud she'll think it's an angry person complaining.

When she answers, he gives a respectful nod and says, "Hello, Captain Smith. I'm sorry to be botherin' you at this hour, but my friends and me were talking, and Oscar here had a good idea for something that would benefit the town, but it'll probably have us away from Palisade for at least a few days. Do ya have a minute or two to discuss it?"

[OOC: I added that second paragraph to speed things up. Let me know if that's a 'not cool' with PbP. I don't mean to presume she answers.]

LastCenturion
2016-09-08, 07:06 PM
[OOC: No it's cool. I'll mention it if something is off, probably along the lines of "the person might not answer though."]

"Umm... Sure? Come in, why not. I have nothing going on." She answers, beckoning through her door. You can't tell if she looks aggrieved at the occurence.

Ramsus
2016-09-08, 10:45 PM
Elise heads in while asking Oscar, "Do you want to tell her since it was your idea?"

JeenLeen
2016-09-09, 10:37 AM
(Assuming Oscar looks a little sheepish at explaining it, which I imagine given his earlier response), Charles asks, "Did you want me to, buddy?", then turns to the captain and says, "You know there's that big mountain near Palisade. We were thinkin' of climbin' it, and scouting out the area. Bring some cartography stuff to take notes on. I think knowing about the local area more would help the town, and we might be able to see other settlements up there, if anyone else is nearby. I'd want to camp up there at least one night to see if we see campfires or anything in the distance. Or if we see some big monster or a band of goblins in the distance, know to avoid that region. Even if we don't see anybody or thing, maybe find some good farmland, fruit trees, or who knows what that could help things out."

He gives a boyish smile, or at least tries to with his new face, chuckles, and adds, "Maybe even a pond up there or good fishin' stream. I'd love to go fishing again. If we catch anything, I'll bring you back a roasted fillet."

LastCenturion
2016-09-09, 04:14 PM
"Hmm. If you want to go, I won't stop you. You won't be getting paid by me though. I'll deal with the Watch, and nothing else. You want a vacation? Go ahead. Take some time off. It's not like it matters much to me."

JeenLeen
2016-09-09, 04:30 PM
Charles responds with a smile, although he feels a little taken aback.

"Alright. Well, thank ya. Just wanted to make sure we weren't causin' any problems. Um, also, Ken -- you know, the tiefling caster fellow -- plans to come along as well. I'm guessing the same applies to him?"

LastCenturion
2016-09-09, 05:05 PM
"Ah yes. Ken. The same," she answers, and you think you can read a hint of emtion in her face as she says his name. As she turns, a thought strikes her: "This... trip... won't take very long, will it? If you're gone for more than a week then the city, or at least I, will consider you dead. And jobless. Thank you for letting me know. I expect you to be gone by morning and back by sunrise Thursday next." She ushers you out of her house and closes the door a bit too loudly.

[OOC: Reading through this before posting it, it sounds a little bit like I'm setting a time limit. That's not my intention; I don't want to try and rush you guys through anything.]

"Well, let's do try and get back quickly. I'll meet you guys at the gate in thirty?" says Oscar a moment later, looking noticeably antsy now that there's a time limit. He runs off towards his apartment without waiting for a response, probably gone to get his traveling supplies.

Ramsus
2016-09-09, 07:31 PM
Before they leave the captain Elise would say, "You're not at least going to give us some supplies for maps or anything?" She thinks about noting that if Palisade isn't going to pay them wages for a job then it's fair to say any resources they find are their own and Palisade would have to purchase those resources from them which would be a lot more expensive.... but then realizes that that's a lot more to the benefit of their group than whatever pittance of wages for this task Palisade might offer and sees no reason to educate someone that shortsighted before she can reap the benefits.

LastCenturion
2016-09-09, 07:59 PM
You were more or less shoved out of the door before you could say anything, much less get a response. She wouldn't care even if you did; she would rather you didn't take up any resources now than you MAYBE bring back a lot of resources.

Ramsus
2016-09-09, 10:03 PM
"Ok then...." Elise says, kind of glowering at the door. Turning to the others she says, "Well I do have some paper. I don't have anything to write with aside from some chalk though and that's not very good for maps. Anyone happen to have a pen or a pencil or something?"

JeenLeen
2016-09-10, 09:45 PM
Hearing Elise's question, Charles frowns and says, "No, I don't. Haven't had much need for it since the world fell apart. I could ask around, though. Some folk appreciate the healing I've done around town, and I reckon they'd be willing to part with some writing supplies for a few coins."

To Oscar, he says, he hopes still in earshot, "Hey, buddy. Don't fret too much. Probably still safer to leave at dawn, or just an hour or so before. Be well-rested and all before we go to the wilds. Even if they presumed us dead, it's not like it's too hard to get a job in the watch, so I wouldn't be too concerned." Some doubt creeps into his voice as he finishes the sentence, thinking about his room which he rather cares for. "Er, well, some detriments, I guess, but hopefully our rooms will still be open if we're just a day or two late. Take tonight to pack well, I guess!" He ends with a friendly smile and a bit of a laugh.

As Oscar leaves, he turns to the others and says, "Did any of you notice her voice about Ken? Did any of ya know they were close?"

I'm still for leaving in the morning, but I pack up everything I own and care about, which I guess is everything on the character sheet.

For some writing supplies, I'm hoping I can buy some (for price in PHB) or just borrow for free from folk I've healed using Laying on Hands (I can cure 1 disease per day, as a level 1 Paladin). I spend some time tonight asking around. Roll Diplomacy (1d20+5) for me if needed. If they'd be kind enough to part with them for free, that's mighty appreciated :smallbiggrin:

Rolling Insight (no modifier nor proficiency, so just 1d20) to get better perspective on the captain's emotions regarding Ken and our travels.
[roll0]

LastCenturion
2016-09-10, 10:13 PM
A nice man who lives on the edge of town is glad to lend you a pen he's been keeping, but insists that you bring it back. Whether this is out of need for the pen or desire for you to not die, you can't really be sure.

Emily was very skeptical of your "quest". To Ken's name, you fancy she seemed to fret a little bit when she said his name.

zylodrizzt
2016-09-10, 10:44 PM
Ken heads to captain smiths house and looks for his team. When he realizes they arent there he looks in her window. He looks for he in the window. Once he finds her he uses minor illusion to whisper in her ear "there is someone at the door" after he leaves to just within sight of the door in the darkness and casts minor illusion again of a flaming bag laid over some dog poop and laughs to himself takes a big swig of whiskey. (assuming she comes out and stomps on the bag)

He then leaves to find his team, casts minor illusion on Elise "You smell different awake *joker laugh*" to everyone else "hello everyone I trust we are approved to go. Thought yall would wait for me. Sorry I had to take care of a bit of business before morning. Hows the captain? Still a stick in the mud?

Ramsus
2016-09-11, 01:16 AM
Elise looks around confused for a moment and by way of removing possibilities quickly determines it was something Ken did. She walks up to him, punches him in the arm hard enough for it to hurt a bit, and says, "Do you have any idea how friggin gross and creepy you are sometimes? Pull that **** again and the only thing you'll smell is the rot of your own corpse." and gives him a hard stare down.

At this point Blossom, in the form of an elk, has joined them and joins in the stare down. Which involves being stared down by something with antlers.

Here's a tip. Do not say things to girls suggesting you do stuff to them while they're asleep. It makes you sound super dangerous and gross as hell.

zylodrizzt
2016-09-11, 04:02 PM
Ken says"hahaha I'm sorry shorty, I thought you could take a joke, seems I was mistaken. Let me assure you that your snores are plenty to keep me away. Please call off your side of beef, its breath smells. Your antlers are terrifying to others im sure but first ive seen horned demons and hey look at these *taps the ends of his own horns* ive got something like them too though not near as impressive not to mention im kinda a demon myself hahaha. Oh and Eli, yes I know how I am I deal with me everyday, believe me its a struggle. I am genuinely sorry I offended you though I hope you lighten up a bit in the future. Ken takes another swig of whiskey and breathes right back on blossom and laughs again. Ken says So if i caught the end of the conversation right then we set off at first light, Sooo where do we need to meet?

JeenLeen
2016-09-11, 08:18 PM
While watching Elise and Ken's interaction, Charles face changes from confusion to frustration, his nostrils flaring with just a touch of smoke subconsciously being freed from his internal reservoir of flame. His expression settles to mere annoyance after Elise's rebuke, but he adds, "Yeah, not cool, Ken. I understand it's hard to tell from time to time, but watch it more, especially when we're out of town."

"...as for where to meet, I guess at the main gate? That sound good to everyone. Anything else we need to figure out? Um, I know I have enough rations for at least a week. Make sure you guys are good on food, though I do hope we can find some game while we're out."

Ramsus
2016-09-11, 10:09 PM
"Sounds good. Yeah, we'll certainly have to find some cuz Ken doesn't have any." Elise says with a smirk and goes off to pack and make sure all her gear is in good condition.

JeenLeen
2016-09-12, 08:25 AM
Before the team disperses, Charles adds, "Oh! Just had an idea. We'll be camping, and I have a bedroll, but I like the idea of some more shelter, especially if it might rain. There's five of us, including Oscar... who is already gone. Tent's are 2 gold a piece at the depot, and a tent fits two pretty comfortably. What if each of us chips in 1 gold, and I purchase two tents for us? Two folk sleep in each, and one stands guard." He glances to Ken and back to Elise, "Of course, Elise, I think you should get choice of bunkmate. I reckon you can count of most of us to be gentlemen.

But if there's no interest in tents, I'll just pick up one for me, and whoever can stay in it. I'd buy both, but... I fear I'll be a little short after getting supplies."

miinstrel
2016-09-12, 09:13 AM
Etzo nods his head slightly, not to anyone in particular, after Elise's comment. He could appreciate a joke, but only in good taste. Still, not his place to step in. She seemed capable of taking care of herself.

"Main gate sounds good to me. Personally I prefer sleeping under the stars, but up on the mountain it might get colder than down here so I'm in for a tent or two. Thanks for taking care of that and good thinking. My stuff's pretty much packed already, so let's get some shut eye and get this little expedition started!"

I'm going to presume we move forward with the tents, already deducted 1 GP from my ledger.

Also, I'm ready to move to the mountain unless LC has another scene he wants to run first.

JeenLeen
2016-09-12, 10:05 AM
Charles nods, "Sounds good. Well, have a good night, y'all."

Agreed

Ramsus
2016-09-12, 12:24 PM
"I already have a tent, though depending on what form Blossom is in she may also need to sleep in it so you guys purchasing two is still a good idea." Elise says and continues on her way.

Yup also ok to fast forward to the morning.

zylodrizzt
2016-09-12, 01:59 PM
Ken says Hey I have food, whiskey counts right? Its made from corn, corn is a vegetable, salads are made of vegetables so Im constantly eating a salad right? hahaha Just kidding but really I got food, what do you think I was doing when I left, trying to find a dog sitter or something? Yeah Ill go in with you chomper a tent doesnt sound like a bad idea but no cuddling you hear me. Ill meet yall here in the morning. wishing you all pleasant nightmares, bye. with that he begins to walk off taking another sip of his whiskey. He casts minor illusion to play sandman by metalica it helps me sleep he says as he turns his head and leaves.

JeenLeen
2016-09-12, 04:31 PM
Charles shakes his head as Ken walks off. "If you have a hangover in the morning, I'm not wasting my one heal a day on fixin' that."

The then turns to the others, gives a friendly informal salute, and starts heading off to his room. "Night, y'all."

-----

As a little skip ahead, but not rush things:

In the morning, Charles walks to the front gate, in chain mail with his shield and warhammer. In addition to two tents folded up, you can see he has a fishing rod and a couple javelins attached to his backpack.

Ramsus
2016-09-15, 12:35 PM
Elise shows up with a backpack on, a crossbow hanging off one side of her back, and a whip and shortsword hanging off either side of her waist. She notes Charles' fishing rod (hers being a kind that folds up and is in her pack) and asks, "You know how to use that? I could give you some pointers."

Guess the GM is waiting for us all to post in this scene?

JeenLeen
2016-09-15, 03:05 PM
Charles gives a broad smile and says, "Oh, yeah. Did a good bit of fishin' back in the day, though I'd welcome any tips for mountain fishing. Oh, and check this out."

He reaches into a pouch and puts out a pen, a bottle of ink, and some paper. "A nice fellow lent me his pen, and the depot had some extra ink and paper for sell, so I figured I'd stock up. I know you said you had some paper, but I figured some extra wouldn't hurt. I'm no great map-maker, but we shouldn't lack for room to make notes."

Ramsus
2016-09-15, 04:02 PM
"Great!" Elise says, glad a pen was found. She was sure there would be some around given how they were pretty much everywhere not so long ago, but who knows what people thought to bring with them all this way.

LastCenturion
2016-09-15, 06:59 PM
Oscar is sitting by the gate as you approach, looking worn out. He's been sitting there all night. "Where were you guys? I said half an hour!" he calls out as you approach.

zylodrizzt
2016-09-15, 07:34 PM
A tremor starts shaking the ground gently around you as Ken approaches wearing a sleeveless leather trench coat, shirtless underneath torn black tight fitting jeans with a belt with a chrome skull as the belt buckle. He wears a sleek pair of shades you can see a slight hint of his red eyes behind them. He has a faint outline of red all around him (mage armor) He has all his equipment and carrying a whiskey bottle in his left hand. He shouts to you 3 times louder then youve ever heard anyone in your life (well maybe not after all you know Ken) "GOOD MORNING M-F-ERS while the beat to "we will rock you" plays nearby. When he is near he says Who's ready to raze some hell bwa hahaha laughing at his little pun and takes a sip of whiskey. He says to Charles Chomper you wont get a hangover if you dont stop drinking bwahaha but seriously alchohol doesnt seem to affect me near as much as it used too, must be this demonic transformation, hurts like hell, pun intended, if i go too long without a little buzz. Im sure youve had your share of discomforts as well since your transformation. It takes alot to inhibit me. Anyways why dont you let me carry one of those tents after all I paid for part of one its only fair with that he uses his skeletal mage hand to put the tent on his back. Next he turns to elise Shorty if I would have known you were gonna chart the area id have let you know that I have pen and paper he says to oscar Crook if youd have thought about it you could have gotten some sleep, we said wed leave at first light. So quit your temper tantrum. No one will carry you so you can nap *in a mocking baby talk* with that he heads through the gate Lets get this over with

JeenLeen
2016-09-16, 08:29 AM
As he feels the tremors and hears the rock music, a suppressed smile emerges on Charles' face. He's never been really sure why he liked Ken, but the guy did have a certain sort of appeal. Maybe part of it was that they both lost some of their humanity.
And, well, his statement about being ready while 'drunk' seemed true.

"Thanks for carrying the tent. Two's a bit much, yeah. Just make sure that if you throw any fireballs or something, you haven't drunk so much or so little that you hit us or our stuff."

To Oscar: "Sorry, buddy. I called out to ya to say let's leave in the morning, and I thought you heard me. ...you really shoulda come by one of our rooms to check about that, though." He goes on to fill in Oscar about the tents.

LastCenturion
2016-09-20, 09:06 PM
"Alright then... Let's... um... go. That's the word. Go." Oscar seems noticeably disoriented as he hauls himself to his feet.

As you leave town, a guard stops you for a moment at the town gate. You don't recognize them, because of the full armor and visor-ed helmet they wear. "Wherever you end up, I wish you luck. Fare well." he says, pressing a twenty euro cent coin into Charles' palm. With that done, he walks back to the guard post before you can react much. From the sound of their voice they were dragonborn, but nothing more can be discerned.

Ramsus
2016-09-21, 01:31 AM
As they leave, Elise gets onto Blossom, preferring to ride rather than walk. At least for as long as that will remain feasible.

JeenLeen
2016-09-21, 07:49 AM
Charles replies with a quick, "Thank you, friend." Once the guard turns around, though, Charles traces his finger along his emblem. The camaraderie isn't unexpected, but... well, this is the first real Charles has left the 'safety' of Palisade since the dragon attack and his transformation. After hearing Ken's ravings about demons, some paranoia seems appropriate.

Activating Divine Sense, to sense if undead, fiend, or celestial. I don't plan to act unless undead or fiend--in which case I rush after to follow him into the guardhouse, at which point I imagine we find he has vanished or blended into the group. So, I'm pretty much ready to move to the next scene whenever the others are ready.

As far as Charles knows, the coin is just a good-luck coin or some such, right? I guess I'm trying to ask if this has any value or significance in the current setting.

LastCenturion
2016-09-21, 08:15 AM
The coin is worth little more than a silver piece, and won't be accepted by every vendor. You may find some people among the elite who would collect coins. You sense nothing besides a little bit of fiendish coming from Ken.

JeenLeen
2016-09-21, 10:52 AM
Feeling a touch of relief and a little silly, Charles gives a chuckle and turns to the wilderness. "Come on, y'all. Let's see what's out here for us!"

zylodrizzt
2016-09-21, 02:31 PM
Ken says just after the exchange*in a mocking tone* aww wasnt that sweet what is that your boyfriend or something? *whispers under breath* rock and roll. (thaumturgy) Thick black liquid erupts from between his lips and quickly dissipates, he wipes his mouth and says oh Im sorry displays of sentimentality upset my stomach. Lets quit wasting time already. I got demons to kill and people to raise

[roll0] rolling to notice charles messing with the emblem (or messing in his pocket) you have my character

if i notice anything ken says hey what you doing? [roll1] an attempt at sensing if anything just happened
roll for anything else to know anything at all

If I get anywhere with any of that ken says What is that? hmm maybe you could let me take a look at that sometime

JeenLeen
2016-09-22, 08:18 AM
Rolled Sleight of Hand in the OOC thread. To my surprise, rolled as high as 16. Still, Ken noticed.

Charles looks annoyed at the first comment, then sheepish for a moment when Ken mentions the emblem, but he responds with a smile.

"Eh... well, it's silly, but what with all the ravings about demons a certain friend of mine makes, I figured I'd ask if there were any nearby when a mysterious guard hands me a coin before I leave town. But nothing unusual."

LastCenturion
2016-09-28, 06:08 PM
Having finished, you move out. After a little bit over half an hour of hard climb, you find a node of gemstones. If mined, they would be sapphires worth 80 GP or so. If polished and worked, perhaps 300 GP. Ten minutes afterwards, you hear a waterfall, estimating it to be about 6 feet high and 2 kilometers out of your way. An hour or so after that, the trees begin to shorten and you find the end of the forest. At this point you are about one sixth of the way up the mountain, and the forest is ending soon. This section of the trail moves South, but before leaving the treeline you spot up ahead several animals. Five wild animals wait ahead, seeming to be working together in keeping watch over the trail. A wolf stands over a snake, and nearby a black bear waits with a pair of birds on its shoulders. The animals appear to have scented you, and are glancing frequently in your direction.
A sixth animal - a frog - also lies in wait between the wolf's paws.
You can see a mark (http://imgur.com/a/js72u) on the side of the bear's snout.

[Party and monsters have been added to the battle map. If anyone wants to do something to avoid combat, say so. Otherwise, say hello to Roland Itiative.]

Hawk2: 23
Poisonous Snake: 23
Hawk1: 22
Black Bear: 13
Elise Bruun: 8
Charles Fairword: 7
Ken Rader: 6
Oscar Smith: 4
Wolf: 4
Frog: 4

Ramsus
2016-09-28, 07:38 PM
"Uh.... that's kind of weird animal behavior...." Elise comments. Nonetheless, she tries to keep the animals calm and does her best to have the group avoid doing anything to startle them.

Animal Handling: [roll0]

Initiative (in case I need it): [roll1]

LastCenturion
2016-09-28, 09:50 PM
As Elise approaches the animals, they move into a line and stare directly at her. From this range, the mark is clearly visible on the snout of the bear, the neck of the wolf, and the skin of the snake. The hawks are hovering around, but it is a fair assumption to assume that they too bear the mark. As Elise moves to calm them, they do not respond. The frog alone shows concern, and begins to hop away back up the mountain.

Ramsus
2016-09-28, 10:52 PM
"Uhhhhhh..... what?" Elise says baffled by this behavior. It takes her another moment to pull words together and say to the group, "You guys all see those marks on them yeah? I'm... ok just don't laugh ok?"

She sighs, not believing she's about to do this, and says, "Hello. I'm Elise. We're out here just exploring, is that ok?"

JeenLeen
2016-09-29, 08:33 AM
Charles, taken back a moment, adopts a demeanor he often took with scared animals on the farm, gently speaking, "Howdy, fellas. We don't mean no harm."

Upon seeing them line up to Elise, he adds, "Can you understand us? We are just passing through, trying to learn more about the area. If we are nearing your home, or the home of those you live with, let us know if you can. We do not mean to intrude."

Recalling that it gives no outward sign, Charles uses his Divine Sense once more, this time not touching his holy symbol.

Perception (1d20) [roll0]

Animal Handling(1d20+2) [roll1]

Persuasion(1d20+5) [roll2]

Initiative(1d20-1) [roll3]

I look forward to finding out if the frog was an innocent frog that happened to be nearby, a shapeshifted druid, a familiar, or something else. Recall that familiars are actually celestials, fiends, or fey, so if it is a fiend, my Divine Sense would detect it as such.

zylodrizzt
2016-09-29, 04:40 PM
perception 1d20+1
initiative 1d20+2

Ken says "wow do y'all see that?' look s to comrades "looks like you do which means you have all gone crazy, welcome hahaha but seriously should i burn them? cause this doesnt seem natural sees that no one has yet to take up any sort of stance fine you guys are no fun even being nuts like me *slight pout on his lips*. guess ill just prepare to toast them if it comes to that readies an action to cast bonfire if they come close enough and seem hostile dc 13 you can never be too careful

miinstrel
2016-09-29, 07:25 PM
Etzo hangs back behind his brazen companions. If there's one thing he learned in the woods it's to never approach predators. Too unpredictable. He nocks an arrow and watches hesitantly from behind. We're asking permission to pass from the wildlife... stranger times there haven't been. Etzo scans the rocks and crags ahead to see if anyone else is watching this odd scene unfold.

Perception: [roll0]

LastCenturion
2016-10-07, 08:42 AM
Etzo sees nothing unusual.

Elise notices that the frog is the only animal which does not have the mark.

The animals (minus the frog, who is still retreating) begin growling in unison as everybody approaches, but make no other movements.

Ramsus
2016-10-07, 12:24 PM
Elise points out the frog and says to the others, "That one doesn't have a mark. Anyone have any ideas other than maybe trying to find a way around?"

miinstrel
2016-10-07, 02:13 PM
"Well now I'm just curious," Etzo exclaims. "Animals don't behave like this. What are they guarding? I'm no bear-whisperer, but there has to be another way up besides this pass." With the animals clearly not planning to attack unless pressed he relaxes a little and looks for which way around the mountain may yield better results.

LastCenturion
2016-10-07, 06:41 PM
Climbing the mountain is an idea, but without flight it would be very hard. Retreat appears possible, and the animals appear to grow more and more tense as time passes. The frog vanishes from view around a corner after several seconds.

zylodrizzt
2016-10-07, 07:53 PM
"Ok ideas hmmm.... seems like y'all don't want to kill them so to my disappointment no burning the little woodland creatures hmmm.... oh oh oh how bout we send in the side of beef in to talk some sense into them and if that goes south as she is being consumed we can sneak past, you can summon her again right shorty? waits for reply.

If rejected Ok ok ok jeez

coming up with ideas not murderous is hard hmmm.... oh how bout we scare the crap out of them, i can be quite scary after all. hmmm someone faster then them if not by much can get thier attention and lead them away, i have a spell to aid in that but if you want me to be the bait don't you doubt that i will be bringing some strange meat with me as well as a mark from one of them to study. again i vote the side of beef to be the bait. the most fun we could have though is killing the unnatural beasts.

Ramsus
2016-10-08, 12:35 PM
"Are you one of those nuts who thinks dogs and cats and all the birds share a common language or something?" Elise asks in her way of saying "nope" to plan "send Elk to talk to a mixed bag of animals that aren't crackers".

"Uhhhhh...." she'll respond to the rest of Ken's ideas and turn to look at Charles to see if he has any better ones.

JeenLeen
2016-10-10, 08:25 AM
"Hmm... the frog was unmarked, huh. I'm guessing some ill has afflicted these animals, and they were trying to spread it to the frog. I find myself agreeing with Ken. Maybe some booming voice or showy lights to try to frighten them off? From what I recall, that works on bears and should work on the others. And if they fight, well, we stop whatever they are spreading."

He tries to tell if the animals react to his words, to see if they can tell he's voicing for violence. Overall, he remains in a peaceful position (Animal Handling training), but he does loose and draw his weapon, though he keeps it at his side.

Ramsus
2016-10-10, 12:34 PM
"Alright. So... can you guys do both of those things at the same time?" Elise asks looking at Charles and Ken.

JeenLeen
2016-10-10, 02:54 PM
Charles shakes his head. "Whoever gave me healing hasn't given me those skills. Least not yet. Ken, can I leave it to your thaumaturgy? Maybe start off with a booming sound, see if that scares 'em off?"

Can we 'ready actions' before combat starts? Like, I ready to hit as many as I can with my fire breath if they attack us?

Seems a little cheesy, so I reckon the answer is no, but it feels somewhat appropriate at a time like this. But then again, they might be readying to attack us, so probably better just to say no and keep the rules simple.

LastCenturion
2016-10-10, 03:23 PM
You can totally ready attacks like that. The animals probably are as well.

As you discuss, the animals don't move, standing in exactly the same line and growling.

JeenLeen
2016-10-10, 03:44 PM
I'll ready my fire breath then. Goal is mainly to hit the bear, but also whoever else I can. Trigger: they attack or any of my allies attack them.

IC, Charles is waiting for Ken to act.
By the way, is Oscar doing anything particular. And is he melee or ranged weaponry?

EDIT: Charles moves slightly, to get into a slightly better position should he need to breathe fire (but moving no more than 10 feet). Although he's holding his weapon and shield, he tries to appear in a non-threatening stance.

LastCenturion
2016-10-10, 06:42 PM
Oscar is apparently trying to sneak past the animals, but he's not doing a very good job of it. One of the hawks is moving a little bit to the side to better bar his path. Otherwise, they wait.

zylodrizzt
2016-10-10, 08:59 PM
"Well well well so my ideas are one of a nut huh? hehehe and who do you turn to when the world has gone psychotic? the lunatic that's who. Yes I can do the things you ask with a combination of spells all of which might take me about 20 seconds give or take. Let me ask though is my ideas truly crazy? you yourself walked up on a group of animals and tried to communicate. the hyena and lion perfectly understand each other, give me your food or you will be my prey as well. animals form friendships even the most unlikely, ive seen a raven and a cat never leave each others side. there is a type of spider that keeps a frog around to eat things that might eat its eggs. Also look at the world around us for a minute, its turned upside down, two moons, an entire upheaval of the land, dragons demons and goblins abound so is it really that crazy to think animals might communicate also consider your companion the side of beef as unatural as the creatures before us he begins to walk foward until he is within 30 ft as he speaks these words he is weaving his spells together first minor illusion where he mouths incendiarys to make in the middle of what he is saying and his rings glow slightly. in between two sentences he mumbles rock and roll (thum) in the middle of two other sentences he mumbles burn rubber and mocks reving a motorcycle as his form begins to speed up (expeditious retreat) and finally after his last utterance he tosses his hand foward as he yells INCENDIARY as the same word mimics him as loud as a lions roar and his eyes emit a strobing light. a fire leaps from his hand just 5ft in front of the bear.

intimidate if needed [roll0]

Ken smiles his fanged evil murderous grin how was that shorty?

OOC: guess im already moved. I guess i cant make my eyes strobe (or can i since the spell states that i can do wierd stuff with my eyes and flames which emit light) so instead ill make the flames strobe i guess. Also every sylable i say for my spells are in infernal

Ramsus
2016-10-11, 03:52 AM
"Gah!" Elise says with a brief recoil from lion roar.

The roll was really good and as such, instead of giving Ken backtalk Elise was actually taken aback. Enough that if the animals attack immediately she doesn't have a readied action.

JeenLeen
2016-10-11, 09:01 AM
Charles looks a little startled at the rant that preludes Ken's magicks.
He draws into a more offensive stance, feeling the flames rise in his throat.

LastCenturion
2016-10-14, 07:33 PM
At this perceived threat, the animals stop growling and advance. As they do, Charles' firebreath catches two of them in tracks. The second hawk is immolated instantly, with barely a feather falling to the ground, while the black bear checks his movement and turns to slash at Charles. Meanwhile, the other animals cluster around Blossom, striking in eerie unison.

Bear attacks Charles with a bite and a claw:
Bite: 15 vs AC, 4 piercing damage
Claw: 18 vs AC, 8 slashing damage

Snake attacks Blossom with a bite:
Bite: 8 vs AC, 1 piercing damage, DC 10 Con save for half damage on 4 poison damage

Wolf attacks Blossom with a bite:
Bite: 14 vs AC, 6 piercing damage, DC 11 Str save or be knocked prone

Hawk attacks Blossom with a claw:
Claw: 6 vs AC, 1 piercing damage

Black Bear: 14 hp
Hawk: 1 hp
Wolf: 11 hp
Snake: 3 hp

Hawk: 22
Etzo Anelion: 11

JeenLeen
2016-10-14, 09:10 PM
[spoiler="ooc"]If the accuracy matches my AC, they hit me, right? (I forget what happens when it's equal.)

Also, posting this so you can move on without me over next few days. This will, of course, be whenever my turn is. And if the bear happens to already be dead, I'll move to the next closet beast.

To-hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Secondary damage roll on off-chance of a crit: [roll2]
[/ooc]

Charles deftly deflects the bear's jaws with his shields, though the claw rakes across his chest.

In response, Charles swings his warhammer back towards the beast.

zylodrizzt
2016-10-14, 10:18 PM
HAHAHAHAHA YES YES YES SLAUGHTER THE LITTLE WOODLAND CREATURES HAHAHAHA KERNALS EXTRA KRISPY RECIPE HAHAHAHA *begins to sing this song*

OOC: Disclaimer if you are easily offended please realize this is not my real view this is to just capture my characters personality also if you are not easily offended and take this at its comedic value then maybe you will enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxy3i6gVaVM

Ramsus
2016-10-20, 01:04 AM
"Blossom, show that mangy mutt who's boss!" Elise shouts and consequently Blossom whips her* antlers at the wolf.

Ram attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

*Yes I realize a female Elk wouldn't have antlers. Blossom is "female" because Elise decided so, not because she actually has a fixed gender.

zylodrizzt
2016-10-22, 11:22 AM
OOC: it seems like my minor illusion is still in effect without concentrating. so if you allow me id like to switch the effects to singing the song when the battle starts. if not allowed then ken pauses his song

Ken says well this isnt going to plan in one way and going to plan another. looks like ill get to see the mark after all. ive always wanted to try this spell out this way, i wonder what snake tastes like hehehehe with that he takes the cig out of his mouth and flicks it at the snake saying ashes to ashes as the cig makes contact it bursts into flames searing the snake dc 13 [roll0] fire damage careful not to damage the mark if possible ken says can yall try not to damage the marks who knows if those will be useful and goes back to singing

if the snake succeeds on save no damage and the cig fails to ignite and ken says dam a waste of a good cig guess next time i should add more of a spin.

LastCenturion
2016-10-26, 08:24 AM
Blossom tries, but is off kilter from the assault and fails to significantly injure the wolf, who promptly snaps back at her. Charles' warhammer catches the bear squarely in the chest, throwing it back. The bear looks to be on its last legs, but rallies to attack Charles once more. The snake curls itself up and deftly evades Ken's projectile, then goes to bite Blossom once more. The hawk flies in to claw at Elise, hearing her command the elk.

Wolf attacks Blossom with a bite:
Bite: 24 vs AC, 10 piercing damage (crit)

Hawk attacks Elise with a claw:
Claw: 16 vs AC, 1 piercing damage

Bite: 11 vs AC, 1 piercing damage. On a hit, DC 10 Con save for half of 4 poison damage.

Bear attacks Charles with a bite and a claw:
Bite: 21 vs AC, 4 piercing damage
Claw: 5 vs AC, 7 slashing damage

Black Bear: 4 hp

Etzo Anelion: 11

Ramsus
2016-10-26, 12:59 PM
The wolf takes Blossom down, tearing her apart. But something strange happens. The blood that runs out is milky white and pours out more than it should as Blossom seems to melt apart. With one hand being used to shield herself from the Hawk's attack, Elise makes a motion and the white liquidy form of Blossom breaks into several blobs that split into several more and reconstitute themselves into ravens.

The wolf's attack dropped Blossom to 0 so she unsummoned. Elise got hit by the Hawk. Elise summoned a Swarm of Ravens.

JeenLeen
2016-10-26, 01:33 PM
So I've taken 8 damage, right? Ouch. HP is low at level 1.

I guess a repeat of before. Want it down before it KOs me. I only move if I KO/kill the bear and won't provoke any attacks of opportunity.
Accuracy: [roll0]
In case of crit: [roll2]

Charles lurches back in pain as the bear's jaws clinch squarely on his shoulder, but he shakes it off and swings his warhammer yet again, hoping this time to fell the beast.

If it looks safe, Charles steps backwards to stand next to his comrades, hoping for a more defensive position. Otherwise, he readies his shield to deflect the oncoming blow.

zylodrizzt
2016-10-26, 03:25 PM
Will you all please quit dying. Lets see if I can roast that chicken ken pulls out a match lights it says extra crispy and blows on it the flame from the match travels to the hawk and ignites it (unless it doesnt lol) the spell bonfire dc 13 as earlier [roll0] fire damage if it fails then i blow out the match and say **** thought i had it that time.

alright fellas and shorty im about to save yalls butts if my theory is correct. time to play the deadliest game of tag. let the insane game begin with that he takes off around the snake behind them up the path to be exact im gonna go outside the snakes range and im using my bonus action to make another move due to expeditious retreat.

JeenLeen
2016-10-27, 10:22 AM
Charles adds, as he adopts his defensive stance, "Unless you have a good reason, please shoot your bows!"

He tries to avoid looking at Etzo and Oscar, in case they are planning a sneak attack tactic or something, but it's probably a little hard (especially if the bear isn't dead.)

Green Leviathan
2016-11-02, 11:28 AM
From behind the tree line out steps an elf male in plain clothing set to match the surrounding environment with darts in either hands run up and throw them both at the bear.

two weapon thrown attack with darts at the bear at disadvantage due to range
1st attack
[roll0]
[roll1]
damage [roll2]

2nd attack
[roll3]
[roll4]
damage [roll5]

I don't have a bow but it seems you could use some aid.

wish i could have gotten into melee range either this turn or the next but the map doesn't seem to favor that.

LastCenturion
2016-11-05, 02:56 PM
The bear lunges in for a killing blow, and runs straight into Charles' hammer. Charles steps away from the dying bear, watching it. Nearby, the hawk flutters a little as the flame flies by, but takes no other notice before pecking once more at Elise and flying after Ken. The wolf stays where it is and lunges in to bite Elise. The snake does the same thing, but after it bites it turns and slithers towards Ken.

Oscar is startled by Charles' call and sheepishly nocks an arrow, but misses as he attempts to shoot the hawk.

Wolf attacks Elise with a bite:
Bite: 16 vs AC, 5 piercing damage (crit)

Hawk attacks Elise with a claw:
Claw: 13 vs AC, 1 piercing damage

Bite: 0 vs AC, 1 piercing damage. On a hit, DC 10 Con save for half of 4 poison damage.
(auto-miss)

Matthew: x

Ramsus
2016-11-06, 08:46 PM
Elise curses as the bird and wolf double-team her and she stabs the bird with her shortsword in retaliation as it flies away. The swarm that is Blossom encircles the wolf and harasses it, but doesn't land any hits.

Elise opportunity attack vs Hawk: [roll0]
if crit: [roll2]

Blossom moves to K26 and attacks the Wolf: [roll3]
damage: [roll4]
if crit: [roll5]

LastCenturion
2016-11-06, 09:21 PM
The bird becomes speared on Elise's sword as it turns away, but the wolf slinks on past the myriad beaks and claws.

JeenLeen
2016-11-07, 09:51 AM
Charles assesses his friends and his wounds, and with a sigh raises the his symbol-emblazoned shield. Some of his wounds fade away. He then moves towards Elise and the wolf.

Use Lay on Hands to heal 4 HP. I'm saving 1 in case another PC gets KOed.
Then move to J26 to help with the wolf.

zylodrizzt, hope you can get that snake.

zylodrizzt
2016-11-07, 01:46 PM
Wait why don't you have a bow? and yes we could use some aid, where the heck have you been? Looks behind him finally where those darts come from, who are you? no matter this snakes gotta die. Flame on ken waves his his arm upward as if he is asking for someone to rise and raises under the snake he casts bonfire. dc 13 [roll0] fire damage

Green Leviathan
2016-11-08, 08:23 AM
Running as fast has Matthew can he pulls out his whip, a seldom used weapon of his but usefull for ocasions such as this. As he runs he pulls it back and lets out a Large crack at his target.

Matthew Moves up to the outer edge to attack the snake with his whip if it is still up after the bonfire attack, otherwise i move closer to the wolf and attack it instead.

Whip Attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]
if crit [roll2]

I must be using the roll counter wrong, the whip should ad a 3 to the roll (not 5 as listed) for a total of 11 and the damage should add 3 to it.

The names Matthew, Further introductions will have to wait.

LastCenturion
2016-11-15, 09:20 PM
The snake deftly dodges away from the burning projectile, but as it prepares to lunge at Elise again, Matthew's whip catches it in the stomach, an instant before Oscar's bowshot drives through its skull. It crumples as the wolf flees uphill (Disengage Action).

None. You guys are killing it (literally).

Matthew: x

zylodrizzt
2016-11-15, 11:50 PM
Dammit I really wanted to try snake fillet. Well nice to meet you slow poke, we could have used your help before chomper got his butt kicked by a cub. How you doing over there Chomper? Ken looks and sees the wolf run off and says What the heck are yall doing letting ol scarface get away like that. Dont worry I got him. with that he runs over to the wolf slightly ahead holding his hand in the heavy metal sign and says Taser as electricity shoots between his two extended fingers. [roll0] if hits [roll1] lightning damage and cant take reactions. If Ken hits he uses his bonus action to run ahead of the wolf as a bonus action.

Edit: I also pull out a knife

JeenLeen
2016-11-16, 12:05 PM
Charles runs towards the wolf, dropping his hammer and, in one swift movement, drawing and throwing one of the javelins hanging on his backpack.

"Don't let it escape! We don't know if it'll report to something else!"

With my reduced speed from armor, I'm guessing I can't keep up with it, so just move towards it and throw a javelin (30 foot close range).

Accuracy: [roll0]
Crit: [roll2]

Ramsus
2016-11-17, 01:33 PM
Elise looks back over her shoulder and says, "Thanks!" and then she chases after the wolf with Blossom who gets a lot farther and attempts to peck to wolf to death.

Blossom moves from K26 to G26 and uses Beaks attack on Wolf: [roll0]

Elise moves from J25 to G30.

Green Leviathan
2016-11-17, 02:33 PM
Upon seeing the wolf start to make its escape Matthew puts everything he can into catching up to the wolf all the while trying to think of a way to slow him down once he does. As he nears he drops his whip and pulls off his quarterstaff off of his back to bring to bare against the wolf.

move from M4 to H37 with a Dash Action. Hopefully forcing another disengage action to allow time and space for others to attack with more ranged attacks.

LastCenturion
2016-11-20, 11:33 AM
The wolf nimbly dodges away from all attacks as it extricates itself and sprints away again.

none
same
same

Ramsus
2016-11-20, 01:25 PM
"How is this thing faster than birds!?" Elise shouts in irritation and continuing to run after it takes a shot at it with her crossbow.

Blossom moves from G36 to G46.

Elise moves from G30 to G35, switches to her light crossbow, and shoots at the wolf: [roll0]

zylodrizzt
2016-11-20, 07:07 PM
Come back here scarface. You can't outrun me, you been a bad puppy. We not done playing with you yet

With that Ken takes off just ahead of scarface to grab the wolf. Athletics check [roll0]

Ken pets the wolf

Ooc: yeah didn't think it would work but if it did it would give alot more time. What a bad roll.

Green Leviathan
2016-11-21, 09:40 AM
Matthew chases after the wolf and swings around to try and cut it off to try prevent it from bolting.

Stop trying to pet the damn thing and stop it!

Move from H37 to swing around with Dash action to G48.
edit for spelling.

zylodrizzt
2016-11-21, 01:26 PM
well maybe if we pet it it will calm down think we are friends n stop running

JeenLeen
2016-11-28, 09:21 AM
Charles runs towards the wolf and hurls another javelin, muttering a curse under his breath.

If I'm reading the map right, moving only 30 feet leaves me in the far range, so I'm rolling with disadvantage. If I'm mistaken (maybe Charles wasn't moved last time), um, ignore the disadvantage.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

LastCenturion
2016-11-30, 06:26 PM
Ducking around the spear and would-be handlers, the wolf abandons caution and sprints uphill.

Matthew gets an opportunity attack. Ken is prone and does not. Blossom has a reach of zero feet and does not.

Green Leviathan
2016-11-30, 09:16 PM
Matthew curses under his breath and swings his quarterstaff with both hands at the opening the wolf wolf has given as it sprints away.

attack
[roll0]
damage
[roll1]
if crit
[roll2]

zylodrizzt
2016-11-30, 11:31 PM
Woah as Ken tumbles as the wolf takes off again after failing to grab ahold. He was bracing himself on the wolf when the wolf came out from under him. He stands up and yells to the wolf so what we can't be friends
His image blurs as he takes off after the wolf as casts another bonfire he sings burn wolfie burn dc 13 1d8 fire damage. A fire drops out of the sky casting light as a disco ball as it descends on the wolf.

JeenLeen
2016-12-01, 10:03 AM
With a wail of frustration, Charles runs as far as he can and hurls another javelin. runs towards the wolf, grabbing the javelin he missed with before and hurling it again. The look on his face shows he knows it is likely futile.

I think I'm out of even the far range if it Dashed 110 feet, but in case I misjudged:

[roll0]
[roll1]

damage: [roll2]

If the wolf has gotten away, Charles spends the next couple rounds picking up his thrown/dropped weapons as the party talks. I get the ones closest to me first, in case it matters (like another enemy shows up).

EDIT: realized I only bought 2 javelins, but should work to grab one as I walk towards the wolf. Not that it matters since I missed. (In my case my making this edit screws up my dice rolls display, one of 'em was less than 10.)

Green Leviathan
2016-12-01, 10:43 AM
Matthew recovers from his failed swing and chases after the wolf dodging an errant javlen throw, and wondering if perhaps this wolf is destined to escape.

moving from G48 to F62 with dash of total 70 ft.

Ramsus
2016-12-02, 05:14 PM
Elise calls out to Blossom, "Try and get ahead of it!" and so Blossom tries to do so.

Elise moves to G40.

Blossom Dashes to G66, going around the wolf not through it's threatened area.

LastCenturion
2016-12-02, 05:54 PM
Snarling, the wolf continues to sprint along the path uphill, ducking through the snapping beaks of Blossom but suffering a burn to its shoulder. It is now less than a hundred feet from the point at which the path rounds a cliff face.

zylodrizzt
2016-12-02, 06:14 PM
For once Ken has nothing too say. With sheer will he speeds up even further almost imperceptibly as he disappears from one spot and reappears next to the wolf

Before its asked no i didn't cast a spell I'm just describing my expeditious retreat

Green Leviathan
2016-12-02, 09:22 PM
Matthew strikes again at the wolf as it sprints away hoping that this time will be different.

Reaction Attack

Attack [roll0]
2-H Damage [roll1]
if crit [roll2]

After once again missing Matthew chases after the wolf.

f62 to f76

Ramsus
2016-12-03, 01:47 PM
Now with enough of a head start on the wolf to catch up (an unusual thing to have to say about birds) Blossom dives bombs the wolf, nearly a dozen beaks pecking into it's hide. Elise trails after.

Elise moves from G40 to G45.
Blossom moves from G66 to G75 and Beaks Wolf: [roll0]

JeenLeen
2016-12-05, 11:55 AM
Charles looks regretfully at his warhammer behind him, then rushes forward, towards the wolf and his javelin.

Dash action to move 60 feet. Since the throwing range as 110, I don't think I'm in actual range of anything yet, but maybe next turn.

LastCenturion
2016-12-06, 09:29 AM
As the wolf is hit, it stumbles. It recovers and runs a few steps forward. It stumbles. It falls. The bloody beast lies dead on the side of the road.

Green Leviathan
2016-12-06, 09:53 AM
Matthew slows down after his sprints and looks down at the wolf silently congratulating it for its valiant effort. He turns to face everybody else and says, "I'm sure you all have questions for me, and I will try to answer them as best I can. Like I said earlier, my name is Matthew, and I mean you no harm. In fact I believe fate has brought us together."

Ramsus
2016-12-06, 01:35 PM
Elise, pretty out of breath at this point, just looks at Matthew and shrugs and the swarm that is Blossom begins pecking at the wolf, some of her fighting over the eyes. (Because...ravens.)

zylodrizzt
2016-12-06, 06:24 PM
sure why not. Ill play along with this reality. Ken begins inspecting the markings more closely. so why have u been following us slow poke? Hey shorty can you call off your birds I need to cut the mark off. if she does he takes his knife and cuts the marking from the wwolf not then he goes to another. slowpoke you know anything about this thing? Ken holds up a bloody slab of meat.

This all assumes combat is over.

Green Leviathan
2016-12-06, 10:07 PM
Matthew looks at Ken and says, "Honestly, there isn't much to tell. I live in a small cave nearby and I frequently watch the town from afar, but I've never went in. When I saw you all come this way I thought I could maybe help. It seems fate agreed. I was hoping that I could help you further and maybe you could help me approach the town?" Matthew takes a look at the bloody slab that he now held up and looked at it closer.

don't know what check to roll, so...
[roll0]
plus relevant skill modifier.

zylodrizzt
2016-12-06, 10:25 PM
well we are heading up the mountain slow poke which reminds me hey crook u sure you want to keep on going? Anyways slowpoke anything u can tell us bout the area nearby? Yeah I can help you right now approaching the town its easy. You just start by walking into it then do whatever in the hell you want hahah Ken takes out his whiskey while he talks and takes a swing.
so why have u decided to stay up here? What do u need with that town anyways?hey chomped could you use a short rest?

JeenLeen
2016-12-07, 12:13 PM
At seeing the wolf fall, Charles gives a yahoo of victory. Then, between breathes, he says, "My name's Charles, and thanks for your help. It was certainly needed."

He then collects his weapons, adding "Does the town really send that few scouts around, that nobody noticed you? I think our job is important. We're scouting the nearby area, looking for useful resources, and figured htat mountain up yonder would be a nice place to look"

To Ken, "That me, eh? Well, I guess I could use a breather. How about the rest of ya?"

zylodrizzt
2016-12-07, 12:38 PM
yes that's you oh right I forgot to mention my name its Ken master magician he bows low and takes another swing and laughs yeah lets stop for a while that bear really kicked your tail hahaha and I've developed a powerful thirst might give some time to examine this. Shorty your a leather worker or something right? Well here's some supplies and meat for weeks hahaha. Hey crook you done hiding yet.

Green Leviathan
2016-12-07, 01:31 PM
Matthew looked at "Ken the master magician" quizzically and said,"I must admit, I'm not sure what I expected, but I can't say I was expecting someone with your... demeanor." He then adds, "I try to avoid the patrols as best I can. Lets just say the last time I was with people, they didn't take kindly to my "transformation" and I've been hiding ever since. I'm sure I've been spotted a couple of times, but as far as I'm aware no one has found my little cave. After watching your town, I figure this is my best chance to be accepted by others and if i don't take this chance, I may become a hermit forever. That isn't something I really want. But to answer your question, no, I've never gone farther up the mountain than I've needed, though recently I've had a strange dream of a mountain imploding, I just hope that isn't some strange new vision of Fate."

Matthew looks visibly tired after his speech, "I'm sorry, I haven't spoken this much in a long while and a rest would be welcome if you'll have me at your camp."

Ramsus
2016-12-07, 02:39 PM
Elise completely ignores Ken's request to have any of Blossom get out of the way and in fact she smiles as they peck at him while he carves off the mark.

She doesn't respond to Ken's words and looks around a bit confused at the word "camp" since it's just some rocks they're going to sit on. That said she walks over closer to Matthew and takes a seat and says, "You can just ignore Ken. Yeah he's got magic but mostly he's just the town drunk. Our real mission is to take him up here to teach him some manners, at least enough to use people's actual names, or throw him off the top if he proves he can't learn." She ends with a nasty smirk in Ken's direction.

"I'm Elise. Bruun." she says adding her surname as an afterthought. "This is Blossom, though she's not usually a swarm of ravens. Though she's not 'usually' anything in particular." she says indicating Blossom. "I am a leatherworker as Ken mentions but... this isn't really the time or place. I'm also a blacksmith. So... imploding mountain huh? Really hope it's not this one." she says conversationally, not really sure if she believes in "visions" or not.

zylodrizzt
2016-12-08, 01:28 PM
To Matthew your attempts to be polite flatter me but no need I know who I am as far as this reality goes. As for the town it seems they tolerate most anyone that can protect it or make the town leaders richer so no worries there.Well now a mountain imploding would be a sight I wonder if that's how I will die this time hahaha to elise oh my dear elise you have developed a sense of humor most dark encore encore standing ovation if you keep it up I might just use your real name but could I beg a few corrections. Town drunk may be a bit extreme since I've not been entirely drunk once just a few buzzes here and there. Maybe town loon? Town doomsayer I like that one hahaha so now that I've used your real name does that ruin this trip? Id hate to go back after having so much fun and the promise of a tumble is most intriguing.

I'm ready whenever, ill keep up the role-playing as long as there are interested parties

LastCenturion
2016-12-12, 08:28 AM
"I'm... Oscar. Um. Don't hurt me?" Oscar says, before retreating away from the newcomer to sit on a rock and stare at the wolf's corpse.

JeenLeen
2016-12-12, 09:30 AM
"Thank you again for your help, Matthew. I'd be happy to have you travel with us, and if you want to come to the town after we're done, I'm sure we can put in a good word for you. Oscar... why the hesitation, and why didn't you help more once we were fightin'? I thought at first you were trying to get a good angle with your bow, but, well, please help out next time. We knew we'd likely run into trouble of some sort, and I thought we'd be helping each other out."

To the team: "I'm definitely aching, so I could use at least a bit of reprieve. Seems a bit early to turn in the night... er, day, though. I'd like to put some movement between this place and wherever we camp, in case there's more of... whatever those were around. But an hour's rest should be okay.."

I was thinking a short rest, but Charles would be up for longer if the party wants to.

I was reading back on old posts to better track my damage, and I realized I misread which of the bear's first attacks hit me. So I thought I took 2 hits for 4 damage each, when I actually took 1 hit for 8 and then another for 4. That means I should've been KOed (exactly 0 HP). My apologies.
So, after taking damage and healing 4 HP via Lay on Hands, I guess I have 4 HP.

Roll for short rest. (If we do long rest, ignore.)
[roll0]

Also, I'll try to do better on the battle map, updating my token when I move. The last week or so has been real crazy at work, but should settle down now.

LastCenturion
2016-12-16, 07:56 PM
About One Hour Later
-----------------------

As you finish bandaging your wounds, Oscar repeats himself for the fourth or fifth time since the wolf fell: "Well, ready to get moving again?" He's obviously anxious to reach the summit, some two vertical kilometers up. This time, you all consent to go.

As you continue on the graded ridge, the trees recede until there is no longer any coverage. Several minutes later, you spot a predatory bird circling above, near the cloud layer. A moment later, you find the same mark that was on the animals' skin, this one engraved into the ground along the most obvious path. Oscar steps over it warily, then beckons you onwards.

Ramsus
2016-12-17, 01:08 PM
"Blossom, can you check if that bird has that same mark?" Elise asks and the swarm of ravens that Blossom is currently takes off to check.

JeenLeen
2016-12-19, 09:03 AM
Charles nods at Elise's command. "Good thinking. If we're being tracked, we should know. This... well, this is rather different than anything I anticipated. Ken, your, um, magical insight hasn't told you anything about these marks, right? Like, no sense if it's a plague spreading between the animals, or some sentience controlling 'em? I've heard rumors of 'druids'. Wonder if we'll have to fight one. Hope not."

Green Leviathan
2016-12-19, 12:52 PM
Matthew lets the others take the lead on this. He doesn't have much to offer in this situation and instead keeps his eyes out for any ambushes while they inspect the area.

perception
[roll0]

zylodrizzt
2016-12-19, 05:15 PM
No I've learned nothing other than this mark wishes to be visible through the wolves fur. Ken looks down at the mark on the ground would yall mind stepping back maybe this mark may react if I try and burn it from the ground. It may be a scrying of sorts. In that case hello to whomever is listening. I don't know what you issue with us is but allow us to offend you properly in person would you? It may be just a branding though magical in nature who knows. Ken readies to burn the mark if and when anyone is clear

Ramsus
2016-12-20, 01:55 PM
Elise steps back. Then steps back a few more times considering that it's Ken doing this.

JeenLeen
2016-12-20, 02:02 PM
"Sounds good to me. ...I guess we shouldn't keep it with us. Could be a tracker"

He then follows Elise's movements.

zylodrizzt
2016-12-20, 04:29 PM
Flamethrower Ken takes a small mouthful of whiskey and match and sprays it like a fire breather. The flame travels 60ft to the mark and Ken concentrates of the flame to make it stay to burn the mark from existence.... Hopefully

LastCenturion
2016-12-25, 02:49 PM
The flame sparks on contact with the mark, and after a few seconds of delay the mark lights up like a Christmas Tree. The flames burn fiercely as Oscar falls backwards in shock. After over a minute of constant flame, the mark and surrounding light grow green for a moment as a flock of white ravens forms on the ground at Elise's feet. The flames quickly shift back to the dark red, then sputter and die. Oscar edges forwards over the mark, but backs off before actually touching it. He looks helplessly over it towards the others. "Well... Now what?"

Ramsus
2016-12-26, 02:33 PM
Elise repeats what Blossom told her about how she got blown out of the sky and also mentions herself having seen a flare of green light in the air at the time.

zylodrizzt
2016-12-27, 10:32 AM
Well that was pretty but lets see what it did. As the murder lands Weren't you black? Ken listens to elise. well we clearly can't fly and it seems we can't reach that birdie up there so lets see what happens if we touch it otherwise lets keep moving im getting bored. Jazz hands Ken waves his hands around a bit and a skeletal hand forms in midair. He points at the mark and has it go touch the mark on the ground.

Ramsus
2016-12-27, 01:44 PM
Elise just shrugs at Ken's comment about Blossom's color change. Yeah a bunch of white ravens was a bit weird, but then again so was Ken. AND he was using magic.

JeenLeen
2016-12-27, 10:51 PM
Charles jumps back as the unexpected colors erupt, but then looks rather dumb-founded at the events.

"Well, um... I guess we should keep traveling. I don't like the idea of making camp with potential whatever-those-are knowing where we're campin', though, especially at night. If you all are up for it, maybe we trudge on through the night and make camp during the day? At least it'd be a bit more equal if wolves or some such try to sneak up on us."

He looks at the rest of the party, then adds, "I know it's not really my fault -- seems chance made us what we are after the fall -- but I'm sorry my eyes aren't really up to y'all's in the dark."

Green Leviathan
2016-12-28, 07:49 PM
Mathew holds his hands up to sheild his face from the green flames. He then replies to Charles, "Whatever you're comfortable with. I am curious however what connection all these runes have, and we should remain vigilant no matter what we choose to do."

zylodrizzt
2016-12-28, 08:22 PM
To Charles Are you serious chomper. hahaha that hilarious. You look like a dragon you breath like a dragon but you can't see like a dragon unbelievable hahaha. Anyways if that's the case how do you suppose you will fair at night? You can't see what's in front of you without light and anything that may be looking for us may find it easier to spot us with a light. I imagine it would be better to move away from this mark yes dispite how fascinated I am with it but I suggest we move carefully since it seems you all are keen on living. I imagine we split shifts for a watch and find cover so we can focus our watch. Chomper should probably take first or last watch when it will be brightest out. with that he takes a swig of whiskey and starts on his way.

JeenLeen
2016-12-29, 09:19 AM
Charles looks mildly annoyed at Ken's remarks, but laughs it off. "Yeah, I felt pretty slighted when the dragon blood only seemed to change my eye color, not my eyes' senses. Sounds good on shifts. Um, do any of you know that Light spell that makes things glow like a lamp? I could see me keeping it on me during my shift, but covered up unless something shows up. But, I guess making camp tonight makes sense. For now, let's go on 'til it gets dark and put some distance 'tween us and this place."

Charles starts heading on, following Ken.

LastCenturion
2017-01-03, 11:48 PM
Nearly two hours pass before dawn, during which Oscar tries and fails to start at least seven ill-fated conversations, speculating about the unknown properties of all kinds of things. About 15 minutes up, you notice a dragon winging from behind a mountain far to the South out towards the mud plains, but you can't make out any defining characteristics. When you pause for water an hour before nighttime, you notice that this high up, blueberries - or what Charles recognizes as blueberries - still grow on the intermittent shrubbery. From the three bushes you could find, you make out with only a small basket of the tiny fruits.

By some luck, a few minutes before you would be forced to camp in the open, a cave appears around a bend in the trail. So far it's been easy going, and this cave is well situated to protect you from the elements. While pitching his tent near the back of the cave, Oscar notices a small spring - You will not go thirsty. The cave is an approxiamate cone, 50 feet wide at the mouth and 50 feet in diameter. You settle in for a night.

Progress is slow, and you are still at least a vertical mile below the summit, and the path ahead looks far more daunting.

Ramsus
2017-01-04, 02:22 AM
After Elise finishes setting up her tent she sits down somewhere nearby the others and comments, "So a dragon huh? Was sort of hoping we'd seen the last of them in the area for a while."

zylodrizzt
2017-01-04, 05:30 PM
Yep dragons demons critters with marks what else is new? It seems a ways off so how bout we press on? I can't wait to see what's causing these marks and see just how much this reality is changed. Ken breaks down his camp and drinks more whiskey

Green Leviathan
2017-01-05, 09:11 AM
"You guys said you where scouting this area out right? You should probably mark the area we saw the dragon." Matthew says as they break camp and get ready to head out.

JeenLeen
2017-01-05, 11:14 AM
Charles nods as he packs up his gear. "Good idea, Matthew. I'm sure the town guard would like to know one was that close."

zylodrizzt
2017-01-05, 11:15 AM
that's a wonderful idea but how do u propose we do that. The dragon is mountain peaks away and to travel there would delay our goals here as well as the thought of going where a dragon thrills me I don't think we would last in its territory.

Green Leviathan
2017-01-05, 11:29 AM
Matthew stares blankly at Ken wondering if he is serious. Then slowly he says, "Um, it shouldn't be to hard. Just take out a pen and find the mountains we saw the dragon flying over on the map and write 'here be dragons'. No need to get a closer look just to mark the map. "

zylodrizzt
2017-01-05, 02:18 PM
I don't believe we have a map. I believe we are making the map. Elise hows the map coming? Though you are right that would be beneficial. I suppose I was taking you too literal hahaha. Imagine us walking up to a dragons den "hello Mr dragon mind if we put up a big sign that says where you are?" hahaha. My apologies Matthew.

Ramsus
2017-01-05, 04:21 PM
"We've been climbing the whole time aside from that short break we took earlier. So the map is coming 'I was going to work on that now while we rest'." Elise replies as she gets out the required materials to do so. "So Matthew. Mind telling us a bit more about yourself?" Elise asks.

JeenLeen
2017-01-06, 08:56 AM
Charles chuckles at Ken and Elise's exchange. Heated, they can be at times, but at least she knew how to handle Ken.

He adds to the conversation, "To not just put ya on the spot, Matthew, like I said earlier, my name's Charles. I was basically a farmboy back before the world changed, knew a bit of working old timey clothes due to helping some Renaissance fair guys. That skill's actually been a lot more handy now that modern stuff like cars and factory's don't really seem to be around and functioning. I got separated from my wife and kids during the fall, and I found Palisade while looking for them. Got hurt fightin' a dragon that attacked the town, but the town won and I wound up like this. At least until I get any more leads on my family, I figured I should stay around." He gets a little more quiet and somber. "I know it's unlikely they're alive at this point. Or even if they are, who knows if they're human and I'd recognize 'em, and not like they'd recognize me. But, still, my hope's to find 'em."

With a little fake cheer, he adds, "In the meantime, I'll try to do what good I can. Found this here holy symbol a while back, and somethin's seemed to bless me with healing. I reckon I'll see what comes."

zylodrizzt
2017-01-07, 10:45 PM
is this what we do now? Offer up life stories to strangers? Sure why not. It will pass the time and I can't see the harm just yet. May bite me in the ass later though. Here's my sob story so its time to dispelling all the rumors. Ill not bore you with my life before the end. Truth be told I don't know if that was real either. So the end happened and me n my wife were doing just fine for a while nothing had happened to my child she was carrying. Well wouldn't you know it a demon snatched us away tortured us made us see so many demises. I've killed my wife and child countless times. We've lives entire lifetimes in an instant. This is why I can't be certain this is all real. This is why I really don't care. I've not enough proof this is real but in the off chance it is i don't do more than I think I can handle. This would be the first time the demon has separated us so I look for my wife and if this turns this is real well ill learn to snatch my wife away. Otherwise this life is not worth living. If this isn't real well I guess ill just enjoy till I'm again killed. Maybe I'm insane maybe I'm not but maybe you understand now what has twisted my mind as much as my body. Ken downs a big swing of whiskey.do hurry shorty I've forgotten my boots and **** is getting deep

Green Leviathan
2017-01-08, 09:18 PM
Matthew looks down and thinks for a bit and says, "I'm sorry to hear that, both of you. It really puts it in perspective that we've all suffered since the end. Since you all have so graciously shared your stories I will share mine. I was born with congenital problems that always left me weak, even after the countless surgeries I went through. Part of my therapy was something resembling martial arts. And that was mostly my life before the end, I didn't have loved ones like you all. By that time my parents had passed away and I was an only child."

"After things went sideways I took shelter with some other survivors, survivors who turned out to be xenophobic. A fact that became extremely apparent after I went through my own changes. " Matthew looks down at his own hands as if seeing them for the first time. "I actually quite enjoy this new body of mine, but they were not so accepting. They chased me off on the threat of death. I found a small little cave near here, honed what skills I learned in my last life and lived a life of seclusion, afraid to approach anyone else. I eventually saw your small town filled with both humans and those like us, reformed. So I kept my distance, staying in the shadows, eventually I found I could help those who where lax in their duties at watch by drawing their attention, by throwing stones or making a noises from afar. And then I revealed myself to you all, it seemed like fate actually, you all seemed to use the help and I get to talk to people again for the first time in a long time.

JeenLeen
2017-01-08, 09:41 PM
Charles tenses up a little bit at Ken's story. He's heard it -- or at least parts of it -- before, usually after several rounds of drinks at the bar, when Ken's had, well, nobody was really counting 'cept the barkeep keeping the tab, he reckoned. But it was unnerving to think beings like that now walked the earth.

When Matthew finishes, Charles adds, 'Thank you. Palisade is a good town. I don't agree with how everything's run, but they do welcome folk and give people a place of relative safety where they can earn their keep and get food and drink. So that's a good credit. Can't say I'm surprised some towns have run off folk that've gone through changes, but still sorry to hear about it. If you like, I'm sure you'd be welcome there."

Ramsus
2017-01-10, 06:28 PM
Elise nods in agreement with Charles, but her attention is otherwise too focused on map making to tell a story of her own at the moment.

LastCenturion
2017-01-13, 08:30 PM
After bickering over a watch schedule for a while, you settle down to sleep. Dusk is a lot darker on the mountainside; all of what light would be left is covered by the hill. Some three hours in, Elise wakes up to take over for Ken, and while moving around she senses an ill-defined presence. A couple seconds later, sparks shower around the cave mouth. A dragon slowly leans around the corner, and a tuft of flame emerges, illuminating its bright red scales for a moment. It freezes at the sight of the adventurers, then turns and flies off, gliding multiple hundreds of feet away before making a sharp turn up and to the right and disappearing.

Five hours later, everybody is awake again.

Ramsus
2017-01-14, 03:10 AM
Elise very awkwardly and stiffly waves the dragon goodbye, not sure what to make of the encounter.

"Good morning." she says to whoever wakes up first, as she looks up from the map she was working on and then starts the process of drying the ink so she can put it away.

Green Leviathan
2017-01-14, 08:16 PM
"Mourning", says Matthew,"I take it was an uneventful watch?" He then proceeds to make a small meal for himself out of his stores.

zylodrizzt
2017-01-14, 10:44 PM
Ken wakes up with a startdam still alive. Oh well hello again everyone. Hope you all had awful nightmares. Ken starts his morning gargling whiskey and drinking a quick shot before he heats up a meal in his hand.

Ramsus
2017-01-17, 01:46 PM
"Well I had a waking nightmare when a dragon came up and said hello and then flew off when it saw me. Or maybe it smelled you and that's what scared it off." Elise replies to Ken.

zylodrizzt
2017-01-17, 07:40 PM
Ken begins picking his ears and moving his jaw in attempts to pop them to hear better. Im sorry shorty I missed that first part but I caught the last part how I saved everyone completely asleep. My hearing seems to be spotty from the sonic booms of snoring you were doing all night. Im surprised I slept through the dragon. Could have been fun getting eaten.

JeenLeen
2017-01-17, 09:18 PM
Charles stretches and lets out a slight groan as his muscles wake up. Without his armor, its more obvious how one of his leg bones healed a little off. He smiles towards Elise and Ken as they bicker, then proceeds to get his armor on.

"Ya know, next time we find a long hike like this, maybe we should try to convince one of the guys or gals who knows that cleanin' spell, Prestig-gi-tation or whatever, to come along. I don't know know about y'all, but I'm looking forward to a bath when we get back home."

After a moment's pause, he adds, "And Ken, make sure to eat something with your liquor. We've got a long day ahead of us, and assuming this isn't the fever dream of your ghost or something like that, you need some food, too."

zylodrizzt
2017-01-18, 11:11 PM
Ken with mouth full says what like this? By the way chomper how do you eat not having any lips? Do u just tear it up and let it slide down your throat hole? Can you cook as you chew? Hahaha the first sentence is followed by a forked tongue with pieces of food chewed up on it. He speaks while some food escapes.

LastCenturion
2017-01-18, 11:54 PM
Some minutes of bickering and scorn later, the party trudges onwards.

After thirty minutes or so of walking, the path becomes noticeably steeper. Charles begins to perspire in his armor, and falls towards the back of the group. Rocks become common, and the general color of the pebbles and boulders that line the road shifts from grey to red to green. After more of climbing, moss starts to appear again on the rocks.It's really hard to make climbing a mountain sound interesting.
Some minutes later, Matthew picks out a rock off to the side of the still curiously straightforward trail, at a switchback. For whatever reason, this rock is coated with red, unlike any other rock around it. He puts it back and moves on without comment.

An hour or so after the trail got rough, Charles calls for a break. His armor is beginning to weigh on him a lot harder than he thought it would, and he takes five minutes to sit and drink water before getting up to soldier on. However, the break doesn't cure all. Several minutes later, when Ken slips on a gravelly slope that was less settled than it appeared, Charles is barely able to move in time to not get tripped himself.

By noon, everybody is sweating under the sun. The path is turned almost straight towards the top though, and you're making great time towards the top. Are you going to push on or hold back and hold back dehydration?

Green Leviathan
2017-01-19, 09:05 AM
We should take a break here. Even with these new bodies we must take care of them. It would not do well to reach the summit exhausted only to slip over the edge. Matthew takes out his water skin and takes a drink then passes it to Ken, not saying anything, especially after the "display" at breakfast. He then takes the time to look over the horizon as best he can, having never been up this far before and trying to enjoy the scenery while also taking in anything of note.

[roll0]

JeenLeen
2017-01-19, 03:11 PM
Wiping the sweat from his brow -- and still wondering quite how he still sweats despite being so lizardy -- Charles, responds, "Yeah, I agree. Rest during the noonday sun then trudge on. Seems wise."

Not a big complaint since no mechanical impact and it works for the narrative, but wouldn't Charles be pretty okay due to high Strength and Con?

Ramsus
2017-01-19, 08:22 PM
"Fine by me. I'll have Blossom scout ahead while we rest." Elise says and finds a good spot to sit down while Blossom goes and flies on ahead to check for dead ends in the path they're taking or any threats or just anything interesting.

zylodrizzt
2017-01-19, 11:44 PM
Ken sits next to Matthew and takes some water well thank you slow poke. I have my own but why not. Oh where are my manners my possible father hired a possible nanny to teach me those. Ken mock slaps his body down searching it. oh dam seems im fresh out of those hahahaha just kidding I was looking for this Ken pulls out his booze takes a sip and offers it to Matthew.

Ken begins to adjust an invisible tie as his body shimmers with a red from his head to his feat in roughly the shape of a zuit suit hat and all and disappears leaving a red outline if the light hit just right and as he does this his wedding rings glow. Ken says dam I almost forgot to suit up

Green Leviathan
2017-01-20, 12:52 PM
Matthew graciously takes the offered drink and takes a sip before handing it back. I thank you. After watching Ken make a simple outline of a suite briefly appear he adds, Thank you for that, it was a good reminder of how things where before." He then drinks some more water and looks out over the horizon to contemplate.

LastCenturion
2017-01-23, 10:20 PM
An hour or so later, you finish resting and move on, the worst of the day's heat behind you. Some forty-five minutes of walking later, you find a dead end cliff, but it's shallow enough that you don't have undue difficulty in the ascent. What's more, this is a direct path to the summit. There is still a distinct lack of wildlife, but the plant growth is starting to return in the form of dilapidated bushes and ivy on the sides of rocks and dangling from ledges. It becomes harder and harder to see over the next rise, but you can guess from your memory that you're now several dozen feet below the summit when you come to the next impass. Before you is an almost sheer cliff face nearly 80 feet wide, topped with a small overhang and partially coated in moss. It rises perhaps 35 feet into the air and is bordered by empty drops to either side, with a thin ridge protruding out behind you for a good 80 feet before disappearing down a slope.
As you come to a halt and examine your next obstacle, a bird's head pokes out from the top of the cliff and tilts down at you almost mockingly before darting back into cover.
You notice that etched faintly into the moss on the cliff is the same symbol that marked the path earlier, in the same eerie ink.

Ramsus
2017-01-23, 11:34 PM
Elise Perception: [roll0]
Elise Investigation: [roll1]

Blossom Perception: [roll2]
Blossom Investigation: [roll3]

"Another bird huh? Want to see if it's friendly or got a lot of nasty friends Blossom?" Elise says to Blossom which nods several of it's heads and flies after the other bird.

JeenLeen
2017-01-24, 09:27 AM
Charles readies his hammer and shield. At least this close to the top, walking a little extra with them a bit more burdensome shouldn't matter.

"Let's all be on guard. I hope there's no more bears or whatever these things work for, but we might run into a wolf or other animal like those prior. Dang. I'm not sure it's good fortune or just terrible luck if our first expedition outside of town has us going to the home of some crazy abomination or druid or some such."

Green Leviathan
2017-01-24, 09:40 AM
That is good advice, however, until a threat reveals itself I am more concerned with how we will scale this cliff safely. I don't suppose any of you have brought any pitons or grappling hooks? All i have is some rope." Matthew regards the cliff with some trepidation, a fall from that height could kill any of them.

LastCenturion
2017-01-24, 11:28 AM
"Oh! I think, umm..." Oscar speaks up, fiddling in his pack. "I've, umm, got some rope? I'll start climbing then." He says, pulling a rope from his pack and advancing towards the cliff. He pauses a few steps away. "Did you guys see this? That same symbol from the animals and the path earlier is on this. That's weird." As he indicates the shape, you begin to make out the pattern. It might be group pareidolia, but you definitely see the pattern. Oscar begins the ascent, and he does surprisingly well at first. By the time he reaches the overhang, though, he's struggling.

JeenLeen
2017-01-24, 01:13 PM
Charles looks with agitation at the mark on the wall, then sighs and puts away his hammer and belt.

Quietly enough not to panic Oscar, he says to the group, "Good point. I guess... I guess I'll start climbing next. If something's up there, I can stomach a few hits until y'all arrive. He's been a bit skittish, so I dn't want to leave him alone too long."

Not sure if needed or not, but I'll roll Athletics in case it does. At last, a roll with a positive modifier!
[roll0]

Green Leviathan
2017-01-24, 01:27 PM
Matthew, not being the best climber even in this new body stood below hoping he could slow someones fall if they slipped. He really didn't like all these runes all over the place, he didn't know what they meant but so far they have been nothing but trouble.

Ramsus
2017-01-24, 05:25 PM
"I also have rope and a grappling hook. No pitons though." Elise says. She doesn't move but instead waits for Blossom to report back in.

LastCenturion
2017-01-24, 06:34 PM
Though it takes him several seconds to figure out a route, Oscar makes it over the cliff edge, tossing down his rope as he pulls himself over. "Hey, I'm going to go find a place to tie this down, yeah?"

A few seconds later, you hear a shout of surprise from over the cliff, not followed up by any other sound. The rope stops trailing up and quickly slithers back down to a tangle at the base of the cliff.

zylodrizzt
2017-01-24, 08:47 PM
Upon seeing the mark Ken is transfixed on studying it so much so he misses the bird. bird what bird? What do u have to look at it sideways? as Oscar climbs the cliff oh good you are useful for something entertainment that is hahaha as kin takes another swig of whiskey. After the rope drops. oh and he seems to be a good distraction too hahaha guess we ought to go up and see what remains of the crook

JeenLeen
2017-01-25, 08:58 AM
Charles swears and continues climbing, moving as fast as he is able.

"Oscar, I'm coming! Elise, see if you can get that grappling hook to get a handle on something, and yell once Blossum gives you a report."

I reckon this is the DMPC being written out of the game, but gonna play it heroic in-char & try to save him, nonetheless.

LastCenturion
2017-01-27, 07:13 PM
As Charles scrambles up over the lip of the cliff, he disappears from the sight of those below. The rope he carried continues to hang over the edge, and this time it doesn't fall. The symbol is suddenly more easily visible, but no change is apparent. As Charles goes up, Blossom comes back down, looking slightly worse for the wear.

Through your telepathic connection, Blossom informs you that she didn't notice anything atop the cliff but some berry bushes. When asked, she denies seeing Oscar reach the top and seems confused by his absence.As you reach the top of the cliff and pull yourself over, the first thing you notice is that there are a lot of bushes at the top of the mountain. That's good, because it gives you a solid place to tie the rope. So you tie it off. The next thing you notice is the tree. At the highest point on the mountain peak you identify an Ash tree, perhaps a meter in trunk width and ten to twenty tall. It fans out towards the top more like a picture of a tree than any tree that would grow at ground level, but it isn't growing at ground level. The mountaintop doesn't appear to have anything else on it.

zylodrizzt
2017-01-27, 10:17 PM
well someone seems to have made themselves useful, lets go see what doom awaits us. Ken takes a swig of whiskey and begins to climb

Ramsus
2017-01-27, 10:22 PM
"Huh. Well Blossom didn't see Oscar. That's.... not great." Elise says to the others.

"Blossom, can you take this an attach it to something up there that can carry my weight? Thanks" Elise says to Blossom and hands her the grappling hook end of the rope while tying the other side around her waist.

JeenLeen
2017-01-30, 09:13 AM
Charles ties off the rope and, keeping his distance from the cliffside -- don't want nothing knocking him off -- he calls to the others, "I don't see Oscar. I'm okay and it's just some plants up here as far as I can tell. Once y'all get up here, we can look around for Oscar or any signs of trouble."

I might not be able to post too frequently next couple days, but Charles recommends checking the ash tree for the mark and any nests containing marked birds. Just whenever appropriate, please act as if Charles said that.

I'm still giving a 1/3 chance that Oscar is working with those marked beasts :smallbiggrin: Glad Charles isn't as paranoid as I am.

Green Leviathan
2017-01-30, 10:18 AM
Matthew tugs on the rope to make sure its secure then climbs up. he pauses a moment to look at the rune without touching it. He then climbs the rest of the way toward the top. He looks around then get on his hands an knees and peers over the far side looking for Oscar.

Ramsus
2017-01-30, 11:49 PM
Elise huffs and puffs a bit as she gets up and looks around.

LastCenturion
2017-01-31, 08:12 AM
The first thing everybody notices as they pull themselves over the edge of the cliff is the bushes. There are a lot of them, and they provide the best place to tie down ropes. The next thing to be noticed is the large ash tree, some five feet in diameter and thirty meters in height that stands a few dozen feet past the ledge, at what would seem to be the exact peak of the mountain. Charles is standing nearby catching his breath, but Oscar is nowhere to be found.

zylodrizzt
2017-01-31, 09:43 PM
well that tree is the highest point so guess we should climb it too. Ken starts to try and climb the tree.

Ramsus
2017-01-31, 11:10 PM
Elise looks at Ken, to the tree, and back to Ken and says, "You... go ahead and do that."

zylodrizzt
2017-01-31, 11:58 PM
well i guess look for the midget too. I mean it seems like the bird took him and well I don't see any soaring birds do you? Maybe the bird took him in the tree. I suppose I could just burn it down but I don't think anyone here would approve of me putting our midget in danger