PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Finesse Longsword, Greatbow, Buckler

ZenBear
2016-09-04, 02:43 AM
I'm curious what people's opinions are about how the game might be affected by adding in these weapons; a versatile slashing weapon that can be used with DEX, and a long range two handed weapon that can be used with STR, and (technically as an armor) a small shield that grants +1 AC, only requires an Item Interaction to equip and no action to drop. Are there any builds that could abuse them, or are they adequately balanced?

Lalliman
2016-09-04, 03:20 AM
A can't think of a reason why a d10 finesse weapon would be a problem.

A strength-based bow is thematically silly (I can hit a pigeon from 100 yards thanks to my bulging biceps!) and would become a must-have for all strength-based chars. Perhaps the greatbow could have a dex-based attack roll but a str-based damage roll? That way you can achieve the flavour of a hard-hitting greatbow without harming the dex vs str balance too much.

The problem with the buckler as you describe it, is that you can:
- Attack with a greatsword
- Equip your buckler as an object interaction and end your turn
- At the start of your next turn, unequip your buckler as a non-action
- Rinse and repeat

A buckler that you can equip and unequip as a bonus action seems fine though.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-09-04, 03:49 AM
A strength-based bow is thematically silly (I can hit a pigeon from 100 yards thanks to my bulging biceps!) and would become a must-have for all strength-based chars. Perhaps the greatbow could have a dex-based attack roll but a str-based damage roll? That way you can achieve the flavour of a hard-hitting greatbow without harming the dex vs str balance too much.

Is it silly? Longbows require a lot of physical strength to use; that's why crossbows and handguns became so popular. My version of the greatbow (here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/oviky2csy29qx75/Exotic%20Weapons.pdf?dl=0)) uses Dex as its attack stat, but has a strength requirement to use (and you have to go out of your way to get proficiency). I think that's fair and realistic.

I like the idea of a d10 finesse weapon; I don't have any of those on my exotic weapons list at the moment. Don't know about it being a longsword-type weapon though... maybe a ninjato?

ZenBear
2016-09-04, 04:31 AM
Is it silly? Longbows require a lot of physical strength to use; that's why crossbows and handguns became so popular. My version of the greatbow (here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/oviky2csy29qx75/Exotic%20Weapons.pdf?dl=0)) uses Dex as its attack stat, but has a strength requirement to use (and you have to go out of your way to get proficiency). I think that's fair and realistic.

I like the idea of a d10 finesse weapon; I don't have any of those on my exotic weapons list at the moment. Don't know about it being a longsword-type weapon though... maybe a ninjato?

Indeed, it takes a lot of strength to use a bow, and in my experience as a strong but not-very-dexterous person I'm pretty good with one. A bow with a STR requirement but still DEX attack/damage just makes you MAD. I'm trying to give STR builds a long range option.

A ninjato is a short sword. Just because its Japanese doesn't make it special. A longsword in the conventional European style I definitely see as a finesse weapon because its more of a slicing tool than a hacking one (you want an axe for that), they're actually quite light and maneuverable, and they were most effective in unarmored combat where being agile is of great importance.

Giant2005
2016-09-04, 04:44 AM
The problem with a Finesse weapon that can be used two-handed is using the Great Weapon Fighting fighting style combined with Sneak Attack. It is a pretty hefty damage increase for the Rogue. Rogues already got their hands on one power upgrade via the SCAG Cantrips, adding a second just exasperates the problem further.
I don't really see a problem with the others though, just as long as no-one tries to chees the buckler like Lalliman said.

DracoKnight
2016-09-04, 04:49 AM
A strength-based bow is thematically silly (I can hit a pigeon from 100 yards thanks to my bulging biceps!)

For your consideration:

A Dex-based bow is also thematically silly. Have you ever tried to draw a longbow? They have pretty significant draw weights, particularly in medieval times.

So, how bows SHOULD work if we want realism is Wisdom (because Perception) to hit, and Strength to damage. I get the feeling that this isn't actually the case because Rogues are a thing, and they are very SAD by design.

Those are just my thoughts.

Giant2005
2016-09-04, 05:06 AM
I'd actually say Intelligence would be the ability required to determine attack bonuses with a bow.
In real life, bows are virtually auto-hitting at short range as long as you have the strength required to maintain the draw. I was hitting nothing but the bull at 20m with my first time using a bow - it was only after I started getting fatigued that my accuracy dropped.
The only times accuracy really comes into play is when the distance is great enough that you need to actually rely on the arc of the arrow rather than just a straight shot. Figuring out how to aim to have the arc hit the point you need to hit requires some serious calculus and that is all Int-based.

Kryx
2016-09-04, 05:14 AM
The problem with a Finesse weapon that can be used two-handed is using the Great Weapon Fighting fighting style combined with Sneak Attack. It is a pretty hefty damage increase for the Rogue. Rogues already got their hands on one power upgrade via the SCAG Cantrips, adding a second just exasperates the problem further.
GWF, as per RAI stated by Crawford, does not apply on anything but the weapon die so this issue is not an issue if playing by RAI.

As for the rest: I think arguing realism is D&D is a method to madness. Mechanically you're looking to give Strength based classes a ranged option. IMO that is a bad choice as Strength based classes do significantly more damage than Dexterity based classes in melee. So if you're now offering them the ability to compete with Dexterity based classes at range that takes away the whole difference. Strength classes can already do fine at a short range (20/60).

Ninja_Prawn
2016-09-04, 05:29 AM
A ninjato is a short sword. Just because its Japanese doesn't make it special.

It's not a D&D shortsword though, is it? They're stabbing weapons that can be comfortably dual-wielded, like a gladius or a small-sword. Most agree that a ninjato was wielded 'like a katana' i.e. in two hands. So I'd argue the D&D representation is slashing, finesse and versatile. I guess that would make it d6/d8 if martial and d8/d10 if exotic.

And a bit if MADness isn't that bad. A barbarian already needs strength and dexterity, and some rangers might want both for other reasons as well.

Lollerabe
2016-09-04, 05:48 AM
As Kryx said - I'd be hesitant to give str classes a better range than javelins, but that's your call.

Allowing GWF sneaks won't be a problem (if you allow GWF on additives) the damg boost is barely noticeable.
1d10 finesse as a two hand option is fair.

The buckler.. Well you already saw the cheese, it's basically +1 ac for people who wield two handed weapons (unless they really need that free item interaction I guess)

Kryx
2016-09-04, 05:52 AM
Allowing GWF sneaks won't be a problem (if you allow GWF on additives) the damg boost is barely noticeable.
3.5 on each d6 moving to 4.1666 is definitely significant as it is the vast majority of a rogue's damage. I wouldn't do it.

2 handed d10 finesse weapon should be fine otherwise.

Mechaviking
2016-09-04, 06:24 AM
This is not strictly on topic, but I´ve been toying with the idea of allowing dex to hit with all weapons but requiring strength for damage, finesse weapons would allow you to use dex for damage as well.

Regarding the on topic items, I don´t see why not, there are more broken things in this system already :D

Lalliman
2016-09-04, 06:33 AM
Is it silly? Longbows require a lot of physical strength to use; that's why crossbows and handguns became so popular.
Let me rephrase. It's silly given the previously established logic of 5e. Which is of admittedly minor concern. The balance factor is more important.

Regarding the on topic items, I don´t see why not, there are more broken things in this system already :D
I'm not sure if that's a good design philosophy :smalltongue:

djreynolds
2016-09-04, 07:51 AM
I'd give it but with a disclaimer, you must have a 15 in strength also to use a finesse versatile weapon or greatbow along with dexterity. This way with standard array, there is some sacrifice.

Is that fair, I'm not sure.

The issue with the buckler is the action to don or doff it. It becomes very powerful to be able to use a versatile weapon and obtain the perks of GWS, and then get dueling style on top of it when you use it one handed with the buckler. And then can shield bash with it also, and use shield master. Can you two-weapon fight with it?

I think it is more work on your end as a DM to houserule it, but is sounds cool.

And I like mechaviking's idea, dex to hit and strength for damage, that's a good idea. At least worth of discussion

Knaight
2016-09-04, 09:11 AM
I'd actually say Intelligence would be the ability required to determine attack bonuses with a bow.
In real life, bows are virtually auto-hitting at short range as long as you have the strength required to maintain the draw. I was hitting nothing but the bull at 20m with my first time using a bow - it was only after I started getting fatigued that my accuracy dropped.
The only times accuracy really comes into play is when the distance is great enough that you need to actually rely on the arc of the arrow rather than just a straight shot. Figuring out how to aim to have the arc hit the point you need to hit requires some serious calculus and that is all Int-based.

Nobody is actually crunching calculus equations in their head when loosing arrows, and being bright doesn't make you a better shot. It's very much a matter of motor skills and having the strength needed to use the bow at all. That works out pretty well to Dexterity.

Giant2005
2016-09-04, 09:49 AM
Nobody is actually crunching calculus equations in their head when loosing arrows, and being bright doesn't make you a better shot. It's very much a matter of motor skills and having the strength needed to use the bow at all. That works out pretty well to Dexterity.

They have to be doing the calculations, just not precisely and not with numbers. They are estimating.
However, without making some form of assessment as to how much force will be needed in the draw vs distance vs incline of the arrow, it is impossible to fire a long shot with any form of accuracy. Strength and Constitution are required for the draw, Dexterity and Wisdom (Perception) are required for aiming along the horizontal axis, and Intelligence is required for aiming along the vertical axis.

Laughingdagger
2016-09-04, 09:49 AM
This is not strictly on topic, but I´ve been toying with the idea of allowing dex to hit with all weapons but requiring strength for damage, finesse weapons would allow you to use dex for damage as well.

I like this and might implement it.

R.Shackleford
2016-09-04, 10:03 AM
I'm curious what people's opinions are about how the game might be affected by adding in these weapons; a versatile slashing weapon that can be used with DEX, and a long range two handed weapon that can be used with STR, and (technically as an armor) a small shield that grants +1 AC, only requires an Item Interaction to equip and no action to drop. Are there any builds that could abuse them, or are they adequately balanced?

My groups change to sneak attack is...

"Beginning at 1st level, you know how to strike subtly and exploit a foe’s distraction. Once per turn, you can deal additional damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a non-heavy weapon.

You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll."

So far it has worked pretty well and allows for more Rogue types to come into play.

Half-Orc Tetsubo (great club) rogue was a fun one.

All weapons are versatile and finesse if they aren't heavy.

Kryx
2016-09-04, 12:30 PM
I considered doing the same, but that's a large revamp of the mechanics of the game.

My only caution if you do so is to also split up spellcaster's abilities between Int/Wis/Cha. If you aren't willing to do that then you have MAD martials and SAD casters far more than you already have. I would not recommend that.

R.Shackleford
2016-09-04, 12:43 PM
I considered doing the same, but that's a large revamp of the mechanics of the game.

My only caution if you do so is to also split up spellcaster's abilities between Int/Wis/Cha. If you aren't willing to do that then you have MAD martials and SAD casters far more than you already have. I would not recommend that.

Personally, if going that far, make a skill based system where spells are tied to proficiency in a skill.

To cast illusion spells you need to be proficient with investigation.

Nature spells, that aren't animal control, is Nature. Nature spells that offer control of animals is Animal Handling.

Could be fun.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-09-04, 12:50 PM
3.5 on each d6 moving to 4.1666 is definitely significant as it is the vast majority of a rogue's damage. I wouldn't do it.
That's a net increase of about 0.3 per level, which is nothing. You're probably leaving much more DPR on the table by not having an off-hand weapon for that second chance at sneak attack.

I see no issue with a slashing-finesse weapon (damage type, generally, is pure fluff) or a light shield. A truly long-range Str weapon is... well, I don't think it would really mess anything up too badly, but it's much more likely to have some sort of impact. As an alternative, can I suggest an atlatl (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spear-thrower)? Say that it requires martial weapon proficiency and doubles the range of a javelin-- that gives you a reasonable engagement distance, while retaining the disadvantages of throwing weapons.

Kryx
2016-09-04, 12:58 PM
That's a net increase of about 0.3 per level, which is nothing. You're probably leaving much more DPR on the table by not having an off-hand weapon for that second chance at sneak attack.
".3 per level" is bigger than you think. At 5th level that's 10.5 vs 12.5. At 9th that's 17.5 vs 20.8333. Though, as you point out, TWF is a better choice for a rogue. By my calculations it's 37 DPR for GWF Longsword vs 39 DPR for TWF at level 20.

The issue I have with GWF on additives is it applies disproportionately for several classes and archetypes which makes it more valuable for some than others which shouldn't be the case imo. So for that reason I don't allow GWF on additive dice (though GWF is balanced in my houserules - see Fighting Styles (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d-9xDdath8kX_v7Rpts9JFIJwIG3X0-dDUtfax14NT0/edit#gid=582756521))

Quintessence
2016-09-04, 03:08 PM
For your consideration:

A Dex-based bow is also thematically silly. Have you ever tried to draw a longbow? They have pretty significant draw weights, particularly in medieval times.

So, how bows SHOULD work if we want realism is Wisdom (because Perception) to hit, and Strength to damage. I get the feeling that this isn't actually the case because Rogues are a thing, and they are very SAD by design.

Those are just my thoughts.

I miss Zen Archery from 3.5E..

Grod_The_Giant
2016-09-04, 03:40 PM
".3 per level" is bigger than you think. At 5th level that's 10.5 vs 12.5. At 9th that's 17.5 vs 20.8333. Though, as you point out, TWF is a better choice for a rogue. By my calculations it's 37 DPR for GWF Longsword vs 39 DPR for TWF at level 20.
Listen to yourself. 2-3 damage a round is insignificant. It's a tiny fraction of monster hit points. It's a difference that will be completely lost in the natural swing of things. Raw probability will render it undetectable, and about a thousand other build factors will contribute more. There are valid stylistic reasons you shouldn't allow it, but complaining about a meaningless damage increase isn't one of them.

Kryx
2016-09-04, 03:46 PM
Grod, please stop the baiting with phrases like "Listen to yourself". Those are really uncalled for.

I provided the math. DPR of a Longsword + GWF on sneak attack increased DPR over rapier from 30.7 to 36.6 at level 20. It's 20% at nearly every level - see DPR of Classes (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d-9xDdath8kX_v7Rpts9JFIJwIG3X0-dDUtfax14NT0/edit#gid=1619979706).

TWF is still better and the systematic problems caused by GWF applying on additive dice are the real issue, but 20% is anything but insignificant and undeserving of your attempts to diminish it above.

mgshamster
2016-09-04, 04:04 PM
Grod, please stop the baiting with phrases like "Listen to yourself". Those are really uncalled for.

I provided the math. DPR of a Longsword + GWF on sneak attack increased DPR over rapier from 30.7 to 36.6 at level 20. It's 20% at nearly every level - see DPR of Classes (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d-9xDdath8kX_v7Rpts9JFIJwIG3X0-dDUtfax14NT0/edit#gid=1619979706).

TWF is still better and the systematic problems caused by GWF applying on additive dice are the real issue, but 20% is anything but insignificant and undeserving of your attempts to diminish it above.

Didn't you, at one point, determine that the average number of rounds per adventuring day was 25.7?

So a difference of 2-3 points of damage per rounds ends up being a rough difference of 50-75 damage per adventuring day.

orange74
2016-09-04, 08:07 PM
Am I doing the math wrong, or is two-handing a longsword a bad idea for martials anyway? By my reckoning, even with GWF, it does less damage than using it 1-handed with dueling style.

Zman
2016-09-04, 08:57 PM
Finesse Longsword... Is ok and becomes a toto and by default is superior to a Rapier, I use an Elven Longsword, D6 Slashing, Versatile(d8), Light, Finesse.

Greatbow.... Say D10 and uses Str over Dex is broken. Now a D10 Bow that requires 15Str to wield is just fine. A D10 bow down that uses Dex to hit and Str for Damage is fine too. Allowing Str characters a superior ranged weapon that is not only better than Dex based range weapons is a poor option for balance.

Buckler.... Yeah, +1AC, equipped with item integration like a weapon is balanced and just fine.

ZenBear
2016-09-04, 11:21 PM
Finesse Longsword... Is ok and becomes a toto and by default is superior to a Rapier, I use an Elven Longsword, D6 Slashing, Versatile(d8), Light, Finesse.

Toto?

Greatbow.... Say D10 and uses Str over Dex is broken. Now a D10 Bow that requires 15Str to wield is just fine. A D10 bow down that uses Dex to hit and Str for Damage is fine too. Allowing Str characters a superior ranged weapon that is not only better than Dex based range weapons is a poor option for balance.

In the same way the longsword gains finesse and thus can be used with STR or DEX, the Greatbow (or Recurve Bow) can be used by STR or DEX. It's not superior to a standard bow, it's just an option for STR characters to participate in long range combat. DEX characters still get crossbows for d10 damage on a heavy crossbow and bonus action attacks on a hand crossbow.

It surprises me that people think this makes DEX inferior to STR somehow. DEX applies to attack and damage with finesse and ranged weapons, AC when in light, medium or no armor, applies to Initiative, Stealth, Slight of Hand, Acrobatics, escaping grapples and the most common saving throw in the game. The only thing STR has over DEX is slightly superior melee damage potential when using a broken Feat and grappling, which is very useful but very situational.

Zalabim
2016-09-05, 03:25 AM
My groups change to sneak attack is...

"Beginning at 1st level, you know how to strike subtly and exploit a foe’s distraction. Once per turn, you can deal additional damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a non-heavy weapon.

You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll."
Oddly, this means that your rogues cannot sneak attack with Longbows (elves) or Heavy Crossbows (Iunno. Weapon Master/multiclass?).

DEX applies to ... the most common saving throw in the game.
I think the most common saving throw for a PC to make is Constitution. It's probably the more important saving throw too, based on the type of effects. It really depends on your opponents, of course, but as a general guideline I'd say Constitution.

Kryx
2016-09-05, 03:55 AM
Am I doing the math wrong, or is two-handing a longsword a bad idea for martials anyway? By my reckoning, even with GWF, it does less damage than using it 1-handed with dueling style.
No, that is not true. The highest damage in the game is from GWM or PAM. See DPR of Clasdes in my signature.

X3r4ph
2016-09-05, 08:10 AM
Greatbow.... Say D10 and uses Str over Dex is broken. Now a D10 Bow that requires 15 Str to wield is just fine.

I like this approach a lot. I would go so far and say that the Greatbow [1d10] only requires strength 13 and and the Awesomebow [1d12] could require strength 15. I suspect very few players will invest in ASI to get a strength 15/dexterity 20 character. But for the few who do, that awesome strength isn't completely wasted.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2ch2d5h.gif

ZenBear
2016-09-05, 10:47 AM
I think the most common saving throw for a PC to make is Constitution. It's probably the more important saving throw too, based on the type of effects. It really depends on your opponents, of course, but as a general guideline I'd say Constitution.

Second, then. It's a hell of a lot more common than STR and typically has greater consequences for failure.

ZenBear
2016-09-05, 12:03 PM
No, that is not true. The highest damage in the game is from GWM or PAM. See DPR of Clasdes in my signature.

You can't use either of those with a longsword.

Kryx
2016-09-05, 12:16 PM
You can't use either of those with a longsword.
Ah, I misread his question. Yes, Longswords in 2 hands is pointless without allowing it to work with feats.

R.Shackleford
2016-09-05, 12:20 PM
Oddly, this means that your rogues cannot sneak attack with Longbows (elves) or Heavy Crossbows (Iunno. Weapon Master/multiclass?).

Which is fine, it isn't about optimizing the Rogue or making the game "make sense"... Its about giving the rogue as many weapons types as possible, so people can create the rogue they want, without having Feat Stacking + Sneak Attack issues. Though my groups will be permanently removing feats from the games (mostly, more like changing them) so feat stacking + sneak attack won't be uber powerful option.

Longbow is d8, short bow is d6, but they are both bows and the Rogue doesn't rely on that one damage die increase. It isn't like you can't fluff your short bow as a long bow and call it a day. However, the issue was that the Brute/Thug archetype of rogue is currently missing from the core rules, this is something my groups didn't like. Sneak attacking with a mace (baseball bat) was something we had to have in order to play some of our old 3e/4e characters (we all played rogues once, we were a street gang expanding our territory in a huge city... It turned into something like Assassin's Creed Syndicate but with baseball bats and huge Harley Quinn mallets).

ZenBear
2016-09-05, 05:15 PM
The problem with the buckler as you describe it, is that you can:
- Attack with a greatsword
- Equip your buckler as an object interaction and end your turn
- At the start of your next turn, unequip your buckler as a non-action
- Rinse and repeat

A buckler that you can equip and unequip as a bonus action seems fine though.

If they did this, they wouldn't be able to make Opportunity Attacks with their greatsword. Seems a fair trade off for +1 AC

Rysto
2016-09-05, 05:22 PM
If they did this, they wouldn't be able to make Opportunity Attacks with their greatsword. Seems a fair trade off for +1 AC

They could swap out the greatsword for a longsword, not give up a lot of damage and still make one-handed OA

ZenBear
2016-09-05, 05:56 PM
They could swap out the greatsword for a longsword, not give up a lot of damage and still make one-handed OA

True. It's a mild increase in damage though, can't use GWM or PAM, and a silly bit of munchkinry. Is it such a problem?

DracoKnight
2016-09-06, 02:14 PM
True. It's a mild increase in damage though, can't use GWM or PAM, and a silly bit of munchkinry. Is it such a problem?

It's not really a huge problem.

R.Shackleford
2016-09-06, 02:49 PM
It's not really a huge problem.

You know, over the many years of D&D, including 5e, I don't think martial damage was ever a problem even once.

I mean, as a DM or fellow player you knew what that person was going to do and could plan accordingly in multiple ways as could ever decent DM I've played under...

I really believe that martial damage is a complete non-issue.

jaappleton
2016-09-06, 03:12 PM
Finesse Longswords already exist.

The Moonblade can have this property, and the Sunblade has it.

DeathEatsCurry
2016-09-06, 07:26 PM
Most agree that a ninjato was wielded 'like a katana' i.e. in two hands.
Most agree that there was no physical evidence for the usage of ninjato until 1964, notably in a museum about ninjutsu, a subject already rife with fictionalization. They're also shorter than katana, more akin to a wakizashi or chokuto. It's worth noting that "katana" can just refer to any kind of single-bladed sword in Japanese. So yeah. "Most" agree that there's very little to really agree upon without going into fiction, when it comes to this thing.

More on-topic, the problem with bigger weapons that are Dex-based, isn't really that the Rogue becomes stronger. It's that Dex is inherently a better stat than Str. It dictates a more useful save, Initiative and AC. Allowing Dex-users a full suite of melee weapons makes them that much stronger than Str-users. This might not be a problem, depending on your table, but should be something you very much are wary of. IMO this should be on a sub-class basis. I can see Samurai inspired Fighters and Monks get away with this. It's also worth noting that a two-handed sword is still a long piece of steel. No matter how you slice it, it's relatively heavy and cumbersome.

DracoKnight
2016-09-06, 10:53 PM
You know, over the many years of D&D, including 5e, I don't think martial damage was ever a problem even once.

I mean, as a DM or fellow player you knew what that person was going to do and could plan accordingly in multiple ways as could ever decent DM I've played under...

I really believe that martial damage is a complete non-issue.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Joe the Rat
2016-09-07, 10:08 AM
Finesse Longsword: Sunblade. Take away the magic lightsaber element, does it still work? Martial Weapon? Exotic Weapon (Weapon Master Feat or Bladelock to use)?

Strongbow and the nature of Attributes. Attributes cover a lot of ground, not always close, not always coherent (I'm looking at you, Wisdom!). And yes, elements of multiple attributes can apply to pretty much any physical action. We can develop some sort of algebra to weigh the impact of each stat on each part of the attack, or just use the one that's primary?
Strength covers most of your gross movement athleticism. Swinging big things in a desired direction and location with sufficient force is very strengthy. Throwing something fast is strengthy. Strength to hit is speed and overwhelming force. You don't move fast enough to get out of the way, or it just powers through your defenses.
Dexterity does agility, reaction time, fine motor control, and hand-eye coordination. This is why it's a god stat. This is why Deadlands made it THREE stats. Dex to hit isn't speed, it's accuracy. making the small adjustments and keeping your aim steady to hit small sensitive places (which is where the damage bonus comes from). or it's maneuverability: Making your move before the other guy can react to cover the banana nut muffin shaped hole in his armor. You could make a bow strength based for draw and fatigue (oh hey, we could do this with CON!), or wisdom for eagle-eyed accuracy or zen intuition, or intelligence for calculating gravity and wind (and if far enough, planetary rotation) into your aim. But for lining up, keeping steady, and releasing at the right time? fine motor and reaction. Dexterity. Or how about japanese archery. Draw and fire? Reflexes. That's still Dex.
But then we have to figure out how being charismatic improves your aim for spell attacks. Are we persuading the bolts to hit? making the target think we're aiming somewhere else? Or just let each attack type monostat for simplicity?
Here's another question: having broad raw power (and endurance) probably could make high pull bows easier, but can you draw a high-pound bow without having broad, raw athleticism? Or is this something you can train specifically. Like, as a proficiency?
A Greatbow with strength requirements, but increases damage die (and/or range!) would be a simple approach, and lets you benefit from both attributes. Obviously this is a Heavy weapon. d10 on Str 13 or 15? d12 (or 2d6) on 15 or 17? Ogre Bow at 19 (2d8)? Can you even use it without Disadvantage (re: halfling with Longbow)?

On the buckler: Bonus action d/equip is an improvement over the current model for versatility, and avoids some object shenanigans. Using hold-but-not-wield to carry a lantern gives you some utility.
Or you could work from the 3.5 buckler - +1AC, but -1 to hit for weapons used in/with that hand. A special Item plus a feat makes it as good as a regular item! Don't call it a shield, and Shield Master does not apply.
Or treat it as a true buckler - a handheld object (object interaction to access - which lets rogues put away and equip with using a bonus action), but subject to disarming.

CursedRhubarb
2016-09-07, 10:53 AM
Anyone remember the Dragonslayer Great now from Dark Souls? That thing was amazing and the epitome of a STR ranged weapon and would make for a great quest to acquire. To fit it to d&d it would have to be a heavy 2handed weapon, we're talking really heavy. Make it like 25lbs minimum. Range is ridiculous with it so could give it either normal longbow or a bit more. A STR requirement of 19 so it's not likely to even be able to be used early game. For ammo it's too big for normal arrows so they will have to use spears for it and this limits it to one attack per action despite the number of attacks available. To make up for ammo cost, STR requirement, shot limit, and weight, it gets a larger damage die (a d12 I'm thinking and bonus damage against dragons, perhaps 2d12) and target must make a STR save vs damage or DC 15 (same as dagger of Venom) or be knocked back 10' and prone.
If you want to give it more flavor like it was in DS then to fire it you must plant one end in the ground and doing so gives a +2 to hit.

This makes it extremely effective in the right circumstances but a terrible choice for most encounters. It will be great to get off a first shot at the big guy or to drop flying enemies, and will be the bane of dragons that try and use flight to their advantage. But if enemies get close, it may be a better choice to pull out that pokin' stick since you can hit more and only a fighter using action surge would get a second shot and there are better uses for that.