PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying How would YOU roleplay this?

Zhentarim
2016-09-04, 07:57 AM
Holly Thrune
NE Human Female Bard (Negotiator)
13 str
15 dex
12 con
14 int
12 wis
14 cha

Manyasone
2016-09-04, 08:15 AM
Any relation to Abrogail?

EyethatBinds
2016-09-04, 08:16 AM
Timeshare vacation saleswoman with a bit too much local knowledge and contacts all over the resort town she dupes people into wasting their life savings for two weekends a year during the slow season.

Always looking for a sucker to talk to, always looking for an angle.

Zhentarim
2016-09-04, 08:45 AM
Any relation to Abrogail?

Abrogail is her Aunt.

Manyasone
2016-09-04, 10:37 AM
Abrogail is her Aunt.

Well, being a niece of one of the most powerful rulers in Golarion will warp her perspective somewhat I believe. Used to being in control and power due to the fear of her name maybe...Arrogant as well. DM was cool with this background? Because resources will be easy to come by, yes?

Zhentarim
2016-09-04, 10:47 AM
Well, being a niece of one of the most powerful rulers in Golarion will warp her perspective somewhat I believe. Used to being in control and power due to the fear of her name maybe...Arrogant as well. DM was cool with this background? Because resources will be easy to come by, yes?

They let me take chelish noble and law enforcer as traits. So, yes. Everybody in this game has some tie to nobility, too.

Calthropstu
2016-09-04, 11:10 AM
They let me take chelish noble and law enforcer as traits. So, yes. Everybody in this game has some tie to nobility, too.

Well, I guess none of you will be casting summon monster 3 or 4 then.

None of you can have bulls.

Edit:This sounded better in my head.

D.M.Hentchel
2016-09-04, 11:18 AM
Spontaneous and clever seems a bit random, but uses the guise of unpredictably to get the things that she wants. Usually refers to things like moral subjectivity to juustify her 'evil' actions. Plays herself as naive and helpless to throw people off.

Zhentarim
2016-09-04, 11:21 AM
Well, I guess none of you will be casting summon monster 3 or 4 then.

None of you can have bulls.

Edit:This sounded better in my head.

That was nonsense

Calthropstu
2016-09-04, 11:50 AM
That was nonsense

Sanity is for the weak.

Karl Aegis
2016-09-04, 12:30 PM
I guess I would get a bunch of doorknobs, paint them all red and try to sell them to people who have no need for what I'm trying to pawn them off as.

"Hey, kids! You want to buy some [pixie heart]?"

...I haven't been given much to work with here.

Red Fel
2016-09-04, 01:03 PM
...I haven't been given much to work with here.

This. The following is a list of what you've given us about this character:
Name, gender, race, class, archetype. All of this has a minimal impact on how to play a character.
Neutral Evil alignment.
Powerful aunt, character is also a noble. This is the only actual character fluff you've given us.
Above-average stats across the board, but nothing stands out as amazing.
And that's pretty much it. You haven't told us about her personality, her history, anything. Just a list of stats and a side note about her auntie.

So, in answer to the question, "How would you roleplay this?" My answer would be, "Step one, come up with a character."

When you have one, come back and ask the question again. I'll be happy to answer at that time.

Zhentarim
2016-09-04, 01:22 PM
This. The following is a list of what you've given us about this character:
Name, gender, race, class, archetype. All of this has a minimal impact on how to play a character.
Neutral Evil alignment.
Powerful aunt, character is also a noble. This is the only actual character fluff you've given us.
Above-average stats across the board, but nothing stands out as amazing.
And that's pretty much it. You haven't told us about her personality, her history, anything. Just a list of stats and a side note about her auntie.

So, in answer to the question, "How would you roleplay this?" My answer would be, "Step one, come up with a character."

When you have one, come back and ask the question again. I'll be happy to answer at that time.

The niece of Abrogail Thrune, Grand Infernal Majestor of Lawful Evil Cheliax, Lady Holly Thrune was born to riches as the youngest daughter of the 6 daughters of Mary Thrune, Archduchess of the Heartlands of the Lawful Evil Chelish Empire. She was sent to one of the finest law schools in Cheliax where she learned politics, theater, penal codes, and martial arts. She had a finger in many pies growing up, and thus knows a little about everything. However, her biggest gift is to be able to sway both individuals and crowds with little effort. Her eyes sparkle, and she is a very skilled illusionist and enchanter, using whatever is at her disposal, including an odd spell or two, to win people over to her point of view without resorting to violence. If violence is inevitable, however, she prefers to dual wield saps for maximum nonlethal damage, in order to knock out and hand-cuff her quarry to either be turned into officials or to be handcuffed and taken into her personal custody for interrogation. If lethal damage is required, she also has 2 sickles in her possession she likes to use. She has studied the town she is about to be stationed in, Longacre, ahead of time, and has decided that she learn all she can about the local customs so she can ingratiate herself to the people there. With a touch of honey, she can make the townsfolk comply to her wishes and squash the rebellion that her peers fear. With a rallying cry to "Make Cheliax great again by destroying the rebellion that threatens our traditional values," she hopes to rally support behind Cheliax enough that the mooks in Longacre will bring the rebels to the party rather thsn having to search for them the hard way.

Red Fel
2016-09-04, 05:07 PM
Now we're talking.

First order of business: Why is this character NE? She sounds fairly LE. And in Pathfinder (which I assume you're using, because Cheliax), Bards have their alignment restrictions lifted - you can absolutely play an LE Bard. Keep that in mind, and if you go in that direction, consider reading my handbook.

The niece of Abrogail Thrune, Grand Infernal Majestor of Lawful Evil Cheliax, Lady Holly Thrune was born to riches as the youngest daughter of the 6 daughters of Mary Thrune, Archduchess of the Heartlands of the Lawful Evil Chelish Empire.

Is her lineage important to her? I imagine it would be. A certain degree of haughtiness is to be expected. Just keep in mind one of the key rules of playing Evil - don't lord it over the PCs. Lord it over NPCs all you like, but not PCs.

She was sent to one of the finest law schools in Cheliax where she learned politics, theater, penal codes, and martial arts. She had a finger in many pies growing up, and thus knows a little about everything.

Intelligent and educated, with lots of connections. Playing her as a smirking metaphorical chess player works well. The person who always seems to know and understand what's going on.

However, her biggest gift is to be able to sway both individuals and crowds with little effort. Her eyes sparkle, and she is a very skilled illusionist and enchanter, using whatever is at her disposal, including an odd spell or two, to win people over to her point of view without resorting to violence.

Embrace the mindset of the manipulator: You're no good to me dead. Figure out why violence is a last resort. For a person like this, reasons include, "I still have use for them," "I can make them serve me," "I can make their actions against me work in my favor," or even "death always results in annoying amounts of paperwork." Figure out why she prefers them alive.

If violence is inevitable, however, she prefers to dual wield saps for maximum nonlethal damage, in order to knock out and hand-cuff her quarry to either be turned into officials or to be handcuffed and taken into her personal custody for interrogation. If lethal damage is required, she also has 2 sickles in her possession she likes to use.

In other words, she prefers either the no-kill or the quick kill. See how she sounds fairly Lawful in her principles?

She has studied the town she is about to be stationed in, Longacre, ahead of time, and has decided that she learn all she can about the local customs so she can ingratiate herself to the people there.

So she's prepared. Smart. But here's the key - don't make it obvious that she's prepared. Sure, being an outsider is a calculated risk - people will trust a local more than an outsider - but being an outsider who acts like she knows is going to burn more bridges than it builds. Instead, invite NPCs to help you, "rely" on their advice and counsel. Of course, you know what the right answers are in advance - who to trust, where to go, and so forth - so when people attempt to lead you astray, you keep track of these things. Learn who can be trusted, who can be manipulated, and who should be crushed at nearest opportunity.

With a touch of honey, she can make the townsfolk comply to her wishes and squash the rebellion that her peers fear. With a rallying cry to "Make Cheliax great again by destroying the rebellion that threatens our traditional values," she hopes to rally support behind Cheliax enough that the mooks in Longacre will bring the rebels to the party rather thsn having to search for them the hard way.

Now, this raises an interesting issue. Is she a leader or a follower? Naturally, Auntie wouldn't want anyone in her family raised in a manner that they might become a threat to her, but she would likely encourage some of them to grow up to be leaders, and others to be tools. Key point, not every LE is ashamed to be a tool. It sounds like this character is a lesser noble, used by greater nobles to draw out and crush rebellions. A blunt instrument that keeps her "betters" secure in their position. Is this a role she values? Does she like the adulation and praise that comes with being a pawn in the nobles' game, or does she want to become a player?

Towards that end, decide what her goals are. Is she operating in the short term, crushing rebellions and currying favor with the nobility? Or is she operating in the long term, accumulating favors and influence until she can make a play for a bigger title?

Zhentarim
2016-09-04, 09:28 PM
Now we're talking.

1. First order of business: Why is this character NE? She sounds fairly LE. And in Pathfinder (which I assume you're using, because Cheliax), Bards have their alignment restrictions lifted - you can absolutely play an LE Bard. Keep that in mind, and if you go in that direction, consider reading my handbook.

2. Is her lineage important to her? I imagine it would be. A certain degree of haughtiness is to be expected. Just keep in mind one of the key rules of playing Evil - don't lord it over the PCs. Lord it over NPCs all you like, but not PCs.

3. Intelligent and educated, with lots of connections. Playing her as a smirking metaphorical chess player works well. The person who always seems to know and understand what's going on.

4. Embrace the mindset of the manipulator: You're no good to me dead. Figure out why violence is a last resort. For a person like this, reasons include, "I still have use for them," "I can make them serve me," "I can make their actions against me work in my favor," or even "death always results in annoying amounts of paperwork." Figure out why she prefers them alive.

5. In other words, she prefers either the no-kill or the quick kill. See how she sounds fairly Lawful in her principles?

6. So she's prepared. Smart. But here's the key - don't make it obvious that she's prepared. Sure, being an outsider is a calculated risk - people will trust a local more than an outsider - but being an outsider who acts like she knows is going to burn more bridges than it builds. Instead, invite NPCs to help you, "rely" on their advice and counsel. Of course, you know what the right answers are in advance - who to trust, where to go, and so forth - so when people attempt to lead you astray, you keep track of these things. Learn who can be trusted, who can be manipulated, and who should be crushed at nearest opportunity.

7. Now, this raises an interesting issue. Is she a leader or a follower? Naturally, Auntie wouldn't want anyone in her family raised in a manner that they might become a threat to her, but she would likely encourage some of them to grow up to be leaders, and others to be tools. Key point, not every LE is ashamed to be a tool. It sounds like this character is a lesser noble, used by greater nobles to draw out and crush rebellions. A blunt instrument that keeps her "betters" secure in their position. Is this a role she values? Does she like the adulation and praise that comes with being a pawn in the nobles' game, or does she want to become a player?

8. Towards that end, decide what her goals are. Is she operating in the short term, crushing rebellions and currying favor with the nobility? Or is she operating in the long term, accumulating favors and influence until she can make a play for a bigger title?

1. I couldn't state explicity exactly what laws she follows, and without a clear and explicit code, lawful becomes meaningless.

2. Yes. She is last in the line of succession to the Archduchy, and if something happened to Abrogail, she would be the retainer for her infant child. She also has great pride for the purity of her blood, and she will refer to non-thrune NPCs as "mutts" if they get on her bad side. She does not take insults to House Thrune lightly, and will use one of the many laws against speaking out against house Thrune as a reason to take them into custody. She will let a hellknight know shortly after so she doesn't have to deal with the blood. The rules of succession are very clear, and murdering a noble would be both cause for execution and a waste of good blood. She dreams of finding some legal loophole to reposition herself, or better yet, having her sisters give up their place in the line of succession voluntarily and with a contract.

3. I like that. I find that when I'm in character, I have to be a little indignant and thin-skinned to defend my "properness".

4. If she keeps an enemy alive, she can handcuff and interrogate them. Dead men tell no tells. Also, the paperwork is a headache.

5. I could see that. She sees chaotic evil torture as gross and overdone. She, on the other hand is a very elegant, proper noble who works with finess and with honor to be both honest and within the laws of Cheliax (Laws elsewhere she would largely ignore unless it caused problems, since she is loyal to her nation first and foremost).

6. I also know archons are going to be in this game as about half of the main enemies, so I put a point into Knowledge (Religion) because she hit the books on those, too. I will keep your approach in mind.

7. She is a follower of Asmodeus, Aunt Abrogail, her mother, and nobles above her station. She is a rival to her sisters and she is a leader to those lower in rank than she is. She doesn't think much of them, but she tries to subtly manipulate her sisters and the even lower nobles and commoners into doing what she wants.

8. The long-term game is the game tonight, but she is all about using the proper channels.

By the way, I found out there are traps in this game, so I went VMC rouge.

Arbane
2016-09-04, 10:02 PM
Just FYI, I think Archons come under Knowledge (Planes).
Yes, even if they serve specific deities. Yes, this makes very little sense....

Zhentarim
2016-09-04, 10:13 PM
Just FYI, I think Archons come under Knowledge (Planes).
Yes, even if they serve specific deities. Yes, this makes very little sense....
It is Fixed.