PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A "Flee the Scene" Interaction

Gruftzwerg
2016-09-04, 02:23 PM
I am not sure how to interpret the rules of invocation "Flee the Scene" for warlocks.

You can use Dimension Door as a spell-like ability, although the range is limited to short(25ft.+5ft./2lvls). When you use this ability, you leave behind a Major Image of yourself in your place that lasts for 1 round. The image reacts appropriately to attacks as if you were concentrating on it.

My question is, how restricted or flexible "yourself" is.

Imagine Flee the Scene with one the following effects combined:

a) Disguise Self
b) Alter Self
c) Invisibility

How would they interact (when already active) with the Major Image of the invocation? Does the image take the appearance/invisibility. And if so, may I choose not to (e.g. I am invisible but the Image not)?

Or

d) Can I bend "yourself" as far as my character is capable of without the effects being active at all? (e.g. Major Image looks like "you under Disguise Self" without the effect being active atm.)

and as last question:

e) Since it seems like a summoned creature, may it look like taking a standard action that I would be capable of (movement, attack or cast)?

So many questions and the description is so short that it's hard to solve the questions I guess..^^ So pls help me out a lil bit here.

Is "yourself" maybe a keyword that I am not aware of??^^

ExLibrisMortis
2016-09-04, 04:15 PM
Major image works as silent image, which has the following text: "This spell creates the visual illusion of an object, creature, or force, as visualized by you" (emphasis mine).

I would rule that that means the image left by flee the scene changes based on your appearance, and does not reflect your 'true' form somehow - it won't reveal anything about your base form that your current form wouldn't already. The invocation definitely displays the effects of true shape changes (alter self, polymorph et al.) and mundane clothes and disguises (the image won't be naked, after all), and possibly also disguise self, but all these things have to be active - the image you leave behind has to look like you did at the time of casting flee the scene.

Gruftzwerg
2016-09-05, 01:11 AM
I would rule that that means the image left by flee the scene changes based on your appearance, and does not reflect your 'true' form somehow - it won't reveal anything about your base form that your current form wouldn't already. The invocation definitely displays the effects of true shape changes (alter self, polymorph et al.) and mundane clothes and disguises (the image won't be naked, after all), and possibly also disguise self, but all these things have to be active - the image you leave behind has to look like you did at the time of casting flee the scene.

My thoughts did go in the same direction. Even if an "invisible afterimage" sounds odd, but is seems that it's supposed to be that way.

If no one else has other opinions how it should be rules, we are left with the last question.

Does the created image of "yourself" count as summoned creature (even if it's just a figment illusion) and thus may look like using a standard action?

Troacctid
2016-09-05, 01:23 AM
The point of the image is so that the enemy doesn't realize you teleported. Hence why it reacts to attacks and injuries the way it does. To that end, it has to look exactly like you did before you used the invocation.

And no, it's not a summoned creature, it's just a figment—essentially a hologram.

Gruftzwerg
2016-09-05, 02:16 AM
And no, it's not a summoned creature, it's just a figment—essentially a hologram.

I know that it isn't a summoned creature. The question was may it take a standard action just like a summoned creature? Cause otherwise the image would be still standing still/skipping action what would look odd.
Imho, since a newly summoned creature (in this round) still has time left for a standard action, so should the image have enough time to look like taking an action. I think the two situations are comparable and should behave the same way.

edit: Forgot that I was referring to the "Rapid Summoning" variant, cause it has the same casting time of a standard action, while regular summon monster X has 1 round and the creature may act immediately the turn it comes into play.

icefractal
2016-09-05, 02:12 PM
Summoning has nothing to do with this, it's not a summoned creature in any way.

Silent Image has: "You may move the image within the limits of the size of the effect."
That effect is four 10' cubes + 1 cube/level. So for a medium-sized creature, it could move as far as 35'+10'/level (in one direction only).

I would say that your image can appear to take any number of actions, although performing more than would normally be possible triggers a save from anyone watching.

Gruftzwerg
2016-09-06, 01:53 AM
Summoning has nothing to do with this, it's not a summoned creature in any way.

Silent Image has: "You may move the image within the limits of the size of the effect."
That effect is four 10' cubes + 1 cube/level. So for a medium-sized creature, it could move as far as 35'+10'/level (in one direction only).

I would say that your image can appear to take any number of actions, although performing more than would normally be possible triggers a save from anyone watching.

hmm.. sounds good I guess..
But wouldn't that mean that I could change the appearance of the afterimage in the moment that it appears (as far as my character is capable of)?
e.g. Flee the Scene while Invisible and let the image become visible and even change appearance with Disguise Self

Fizban
2016-09-06, 07:45 AM
Since the image lasts for only one round, it normally disappears at the start of your next turn, before there's a chance of it "having" any "actions." Even if you increase the duration somehow, the image can only react to attacks. Depending on how lenient your DM is in reading that, it could range from obviously doing nothing, to delaying or reading an action, to faking somatic components or item usage as if it were trying to defend itself.

Gruftzwerg
2016-09-06, 09:35 AM
Since the image lasts for only one round, it normally disappears at the start of your next turn, before there's a chance of it "having" any "actions."

thats why I compared it with "Rapid Summoning", which summons a creature with a standard action. And a "Rapid Summoned" Creature can automatically use a standard action (means there is time for that after the caster has taken his standard action) and imho the afterimage of "Flee the Scene" should behave the same.

Another point would be: The standard action that it takes to cast an Illusion involves the same information, as a standard action to concentrate on an Illusion. The rules are wonky, but when you start to cast an Illusion, you are already manipulating/giving introductions to it in the same standard action. Otherwise Illusions would have a casting time of 1 round. And if you now look back at Rapid Summoning, it makes sense, at least imho ^^

Even if you increase the duration somehow, the image can only react to attacks.
The text doesn't say "that it can only react as if you where concentrating on it. It says "The image reacts appropriately to attacks as if you were concentrating on it." which just means that I don't need to concentrate to let it react to. And that is a buff imho and not a restriction. The only restriction is "Major Image of yourself".

Fizban
2016-09-06, 10:11 PM
The image appears after you've already taken your standard action. If it took an "action" of its own that would be a dead giveaway unless your game is full of ways to get extra standard actions.

Flee the Scene is primarily a Dimension Door effect. It leaves a Major Image behind for one round, but the word "leaves" make it clear that you are not maintaining this effect, you never directly cast or concentrate on the image. It reacts automatically because that is needed for it to work at all.

Gruftzwerg
2016-09-07, 01:43 AM
The image appears after you've already taken your standard action. If it took an "action" of its own that would be a dead giveaway unless your game is full of ways to get extra standard actions.
Lets compare a regular illusion to a fireball to make it more clear what I am trying to point out:
- you cast a fireball, which takes a standard action, and during that standard action the fireball already takes effect.
- you cast an illusion, which takes a standard action, and determine in the cast what happens in the same round with the illusion. Otherwise all Illusions would have a casting time of 1 round and not a standard action and that is not the case. So, at the moment of the Illusion being casted/invoked, you determine the effect for the same standard action & round.

Flee the Scene is primarily a Dimension Door effect. It leaves a Major Image behind for one round, but the word "leaves" make it clear that you are not maintaining this effect, you never directly cast or concentrate on the image. It reacts automatically because that is needed for it to work at all.
I don't know why people always think that Flee the Scene is primarily DD? It's not.
IMHO there is no evidence that DD should be handled primary just because the DD effect is mentioned first. The effects come into play at the very same time/moment. The text would be just more confusing if you would mention the Afterimage first and than the DD. Otherwise the bluff involved wouldn't work if there would be a delay. Imho we should treat it like a double spell and not like DD with an extra image. e.g. "See the Unseen" gives Darkvision and See Invisible. Do you think any of them is primary and secondary??
The words "leaves behind ... in your place"(!) just limits where the image appears. It has nothing to do with maintaining it or not.

Again only limitation is image of "yourself" and "in your place".
Imho there is no evidence that the afterimage should be just a dummy. I think that it would have been pointed out if it should be just a dummy.

Troacctid
2016-09-07, 01:48 AM
Lets compare a regular illusion to a fireball to make it more clear what I am trying to point out:
- you cast a fireball, which takes a standard action, and during that standard action the fireball already takes effect.
- you cast an illusion, which takes a standard action, and determine in the cast what happens in the same round with the illusion. Otherwise all Illusions would have a casting time of 1 round and not a standard action and that is not the case. So, at the moment of the Illusion being casted/invoked, you determine the effect for the same standard action & round.
It doesn't matter because the illusion doesn't have any actions. It's not a creature.

I don't know why people always think that Flee the Scene is primarily DD? It's not.
IMHO there is no evidence that DD should be handled primary just because the DD effect is mentioned first. The effects come into play at the very same time/moment. The text would be just more confusing if you would mention the Afterimage first and than the DD. Otherwise the bluff involved wouldn't work if there would be a delay. Imho we should treat it like a double spell and not like DD with an extra image. e.g. "See the Unseen" gives Darkvision and See Invisible. Do you think any of them is primary and secondary??
He meant that its primary purpose—the main reason why you cast the spell—is to teleport.

Fizban
2016-09-07, 03:32 AM
That has nothing to do with anything? Your audience sees you take a standard action to cast something. If your audience then sees you take another standard action to cast something because you've been replaced by an illusion, you done goofed. One could also simply rule that as a replacement illusion it is left with only the same amount of "apparent actions" you had remaining after casting.

The words "leaves behind ... in your place"(!) just limits where the image appears. It has nothing to do with maintaining it or not.

He meant that its primary purpose—the main reason why you cast the spell—is to teleport.
Nah, I'll actually double down: the invocation specifically says, "You can use Dimension Door," followed by "When you use this ability, you leave behind a Major Image etc." The invocation does not say you can use, direct, or concentrate on, or otherwise influence the Major Image. The illusion is a byproduct which only appears following that exact script and you have no control over it whatsoever. When you use Flee the Scene, you use Dimension Door and that's it.

Gruftzwerg
2016-09-07, 08:22 AM
The invocation does not say you can use, direct, or concentrate on, or otherwise influence the Major Image.

The invocation does not need to allow it, cause the spell it is referencing to is capable of it. It would need to explicitly exclude "FtS" not to have the ability to direct/concentrate on it.

And as said:

"The image reacts appropriately to attacks as if you were concentrating on it."
There is no limitation that you can't concentrate otherwise hidden in this sentence. And since Major Image has those options, so should Flee the Scene.

Your audience sees you take a standard action to cast something. If your audience then sees you take another standard action to cast something because you've been replaced by an illusion, you done goofed.
The audience sees me casting something without any outcome (if the Major Image behaves like a dummy). Why should the audience be goofed when they would actually "see" some output of the cast?
- I invoke "FtS"
- the afterimage could look like I am buffing myself up
Imho that would look more realistic than casting a spell, nothing seems to happen and the caster stands stupid around and waits for opportunities to react to.

Segev
2016-09-07, 08:36 AM
Huh. That raises an interesting question: absent the Invisible Spell metamagic feat, can major image and other illusion spells of its sort (e.g. silent image or programmed image) create specifically illusions of invisible things? That is, could you have a major image of an invisible orc, so that it would be audible, not visible to most things, but visible under see invisible? (Obviously true seeing would reveal its illusory nature along with letting you see it, even if this works.)

EyethatBinds
2016-09-07, 08:51 AM
Anyone still questioning how to express "Flee the scene" in game, just watch Total Recall (the good one).

Regarding seeing an invisible orc casting the spell, why would they do that? Can't they just use dimension door?

Sliver
2016-09-07, 10:01 AM
The ability tells you how the image behaves and doesn't allow for active concentration for 2 reasons: The image only lasts for one round, and you can't take actions after a Dimension Door.

So yes, for it to allow you to change the way the image behaves would require the text to specify that it's an option. Since D&D is a permissive system, it doesn't need to list all the things that you can't do, only what you can.

Rijan_Sai
2016-09-07, 10:41 AM
Let's break it down a little bit...

FLEE THE SCENE
Lesser; 4th
You can use dimension door as a spell-like ability, although the range is [REDACTED].
This is the primary part of the Invocation, so let's look at Dimension Door (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionDoor.htm):

Dimension Door
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level:
Brd 4, Sor/Wiz 4, Travel 4
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Target: You and touched objects or other touched willing creatures
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None and Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: No and Yes (object)

You instantly transfer yourself from your current location to any other spot within range. You always arrive at exactly the spot desired—whether by simply visualizing the area or by stating direction. After using this spell, you can’t take any other actions until your next turn. You can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load...

If you arrive in a place that is already occupied by a solid body, you and each creature traveling with you take 1d6 points of damage and are shunted to a random open space on a suitable surface within 100 feet of the intended location.

If there is no free space within 100 feet, you and each creature traveling with you take an additional 2d6 points of damage and are shunted to a free space within 1,000 feet. If there is no free space within 1,000 feet, you and each creature travelling with you take an additional 4d6 points of damage and the spell simply fails.

(Bolded for Emphasis; one unneeded line removed)
So this tells us exactly what we get when we use Flee the Scene.

When you use this ability, you leave behind a major image of yourself in your
place that lasts for 1 round. The image reacts appropriately to attacks as if you were concentrating on it.
This is basically a bonus effect, (because Warlocks are awesome like that!)
That clause "as if" relates to Major Image (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/majorImage.htm)

Major Image
Illusion (Figment)
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Duration: Concentration + 3 rounds

This spell functions like silent image, except that sound, smell, and thermal illusions are included in the spell effect. While concentrating, you can move the image within the range.

The image disappears when struck by an opponent unless you cause the illusion to react appropriately.
What FtS does is handle those bolded parts here for you. You can not do anything directly with it, because Concentrating on a spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#duration)

Concentration

The spell lasts as long as you concentrate on it. Concentrating to maintain a spell is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Anything that could break your concentration when casting a spell can also break your concentration while you’re maintaining one, causing the spell to end.

You can’t cast a spell while concentrating on another one. Sometimes a spell lasts for a short time after you cease concentrating.
but after you use Dimension Door, you have no actions available (see above).
----------------------------------
tl/dr:
Flee the Scene is Dimension Door for Warlocks, with an extra part that leaves behind an after-image and automatically makes it react to attacks as a Major Image, with no additional action needed (or indeed, possible) on your part.

As far as what image gets left behind, it's not completely clear, but as a DM, I would rule that it leaves whatever you look like at that time (invisible, polymorphed, normal, etc.)

*Claims fair use, with certain rules text removed. Also, the ability directly references two spells available on the SRD.

Segev
2016-09-07, 10:56 AM
Regarding seeing an invisible orc casting the spell, why would they do that? Can't they just use dimension door?

Quite possibly not!

Flee the Scene is a Warlock Invocation, not a spell. Our Orc Warlock may well have Walk Unseen (the invisibility invocation) and Flee the Scene, but not dimension door the spell. So he can't use dimension door without leaving behind the major image!

Gruftzwerg
2016-09-07, 02:03 PM
Somehow I think that my argument gets either ignored or misunderstood..

(I take just Major Image and not FtS to make it more obvious what I try to point out)

Round 1:
- you cast Major Image as a Standard Action, and within this Standard Action you determine the the visual effects (incl. movement imho) for Round 1 (!). You don't need to spend another standard action for concentration for this in Round 1. And no, the movement isn't restricted to concentration, because this would cause the Image to stand still in Round 1 which would make the Illusion obvious and useless imho.

Round 2:
- you need to use a Standard Action to concentrate on the spell to alter it further

Now lets take FtS:

Round1:
- I invoke FtS and determine already the movement of the Major Image. I don't need to do it later in the round with another standard action, cause that is not the way Illusion Spells work.
Round2:
unless the duration of the Major Image isn't extended in any way, the Illusion just fades out and thus leaves no room to concentrate. But as said, the reference is still Major Image which would allow it to concentrate on it, as long as there is duration left. It's just that FtS doesn't have a "Duration of Concentrate", but that doesn't forbid you from concentrating, if you increase the duration in some other way.

Sliver
2016-09-07, 02:38 PM
I didn't ignore your argument, I simply don't agree with your assessment. FtS dictates how the Major Image behaves, and the text doesn't have any language to imply that this behavior can be altered. The rules work on permissive basis - they tell you what you can do, not what you can't do. Your argument is that it doesn't explicitly override the general rules of Major Image, while I (and others) argue that FtS tells you how the Major Image behaves and doesn't allow for modification - it's a programmed illusion that only reacts to attacks. So, IMO, it doesn't explicitly need to say that you can't do X with the Major Image, because it tells you what you can do.

I also don't agree that extending the duration means that you can concentrate on it. The Major Image created by FtS has a duration of 1 round. If you extend it to 2, it doesn't allow you to concentrate on it. You didn't cast Major Image, you merely used an invocation that creates a Major Image. Nothing in the text implies that you have control over that effect.

Gruftzwerg
2016-09-07, 03:48 PM
The rules work on permissive basis - they tell you what you can do, not what you can't do. Your argument is that it doesn't explicitly override the general rules of Major Image, while I (and others) argue that FtS tells you how the Major Image behaves and doesn't allow for modification - it's a programmed illusion that only reacts to attacks. So, IMO, it doesn't explicitly need to say that you can't do X with the Major Image, because it tells you what you can do.

you leave behind a Major Image of yourself in your place that lasts for 1 round
Imho, the use of the term "Major Image" gives you the permission to everything "Major Image" is capable of, unless noted otherwise (reduced duration and that it reacts without concentration). Since "Major Image" can act in the same round as the the cast happens, FtS would need to explicitly point out that it is a passive illusion to restrict it, but that is not the case here.
It's just that you don't see "Major Image" as permission, but it is. Cause if it would act like a "programmed illusion" like you said, why didn't they use the term "Programmed Image" and refereed to that spell? It wouldn't have changed the power of "FtS" (since the Spell-lvl of FtS is fix and doesn't change with the spells mentioned in it) in any way and would have been a far better reference for a "Dummy Image"with no further control.

and

The image can only reacts appropriately to attacks as if you were concentrating on it.
It doesn't say "can only" and thus isn't limiting what the usage of the term "Major Image" permitted.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-09-07, 04:09 PM
I think it's reasonable to say that the image of yourself is doing whatever it is that you would be doing if you weren't fleeing the scene (drinking a healing potion, casting a defensive invocation - attacks look fake, of course), as if you had designed the major image yourself, with the stipulation that it must be an image of yourself, and in your place. You can't concentrate on the image after casting, though.

Sliver
2016-09-07, 11:55 PM
Imho, the use of the term "Major Image" gives you the permission to everything "Major Image" is capable of, unless noted otherwise (reduced duration and that it reacts without concentration). Since "Major Image" can act in the same round as the the cast happens, FtS would need to explicitly point out that it is a passive illusion to restrict it, but that is not the case here.
It's just that you don't see "Major Image" as permission, but it is. Cause if it would act like a "programmed illusion" like you said, why didn't they use the term "Programmed Image" and refereed to that spell? It wouldn't have changed the power of "FtS" (since the Spell-lvl of FtS is fix and doesn't change with the spells mentioned in it) in any way and would have been a far better reference for a "Dummy Image"with no further control.

and

It doesn't say "can only" and thus isn't limiting what the usage of the term "Major Image" permitted.

As I said, I know what you are saying, I'm simply not agreeing with you.

Flee the Scene doesn't say that it works as the spell, except for X. It says that the spell happens when the invocation is used. It also sets the parameters for the specific behavior of the image.

You are saying that it doesn't say "this is the only thing it can do", meaning that you can expand on it, because the base spell allows for more interaction. I'm saying that it says "this is what it can do" and doesn't say "and other stuff", so for me, it means that there are no other stuff. This is what is allowed within the context of the invocation.

When using FtS, you leave behind a major image. The image reacts to attacks appropriately, as if you were concentrating on it. But you aren't concentrating on it. FtS doesn't leave room for further interaction with the behavior of the Image. I don't see how Programmed Image, which simply activates under a certain condition, fits that better than Major Image. And "why didn't they write X instead" is not an actual argument anyway.

FtS dictates how the image behaves and it's more specific than the rules for what happens when Major Image is cast. You are free to disagree with that, but simply saying "the way you are interpreting it is wrong because it's wrong" isn't going to convince me without any actual proof. Just because it's written in a semi-confusing matter and it could have been clearer or used a better example isn't proof, since poor editing is a badge 3.5e is proud to wear.

Do you have any counter to what I've said besides "the base spell allows for it and FtS doesn't specifically override it"? Because as I said, it doesn't need to call it out as overriding, since it never gave you control over it in the first place.

So don't claim that your argument is being ignored when you haven't replied to a single opposing argument with more than "nope"...

Fizban
2016-09-08, 03:17 AM
I think it's reasonable to say that the image of yourself is doing whatever it is that you would be doing if you weren't fleeing the scene (drinking a healing potion, casting a defensive invocation - attacks look fake, of course), as if you had designed the major image yourself, with the stipulation that it must be an image of yourself, and in your place. You can't concentrate on the image after casting, though.
I would agree, on the second round, if you extend it. The action you use to invoke Flee the Scene is plainly visible, can be interrupted and possibly even identified, the image has no business doing anything on the round you cast. You can read reacting to attacks in a way that allows it to pretend taking defensive actions if it lasts more than one round, but the round you cast it you've already clearly taken an action.

Segev
2016-09-08, 07:55 AM
This is a case where RAI is pretty darned explicit in the text. Even if you could finagle an excuse to allow you greater control by somehow extending it (which is questionable in and of itself; is "Flee the Scene" instantaneous or does its duration match that of the major image of you it leaves behind?), the express purpose is to make it look like you haven't teleported away.

So I would say you're safe to assume that most DMs will scoff at the idea that it can do more than be a convincing illusion of you.

Have fun with that. I mean, it essentially lets you act out one more round of interaction as an illusion while also getting to act normally wherever you teleported.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-09-08, 08:35 AM
I would agree, on the second round, if you extend it. The action you use to invoke Flee the Scene is plainly visible, can be interrupted and possibly even identified, the image has no business doing anything on the round you cast. You can read reacting to attacks in a way that allows it to pretend taking defensive actions if it lasts more than one round, but the round you cast it you've already clearly taken an action.
Right, so the image shouldn't cast an invocation on the first round (other than a quickened one), but the move action can be free. Drinking a potion is possible, as is picking something up, standing up or dropping prone behind cover, drawing a weapon, or (off-the-wall here) "visibly inhaling" to "deliver [your] breath weapon with extra potency".

Now, the interesting question is: can you bluff through the image, performing an action that your real self cannot perform? Take, for example, the deep breath ability, which is a Xorvintaal dragon ability. Can a dragonfire adept fake its use? I'm personally all for allowing it, because it's great fun.

Gruftzwerg
2016-09-09, 01:17 PM
Right, so the image shouldn't cast an invocation on the first round (other than a quickened one), but the move action can be free. Drinking a potion is possible, as is picking something up, standing up or dropping prone behind cover, drawing a weapon, or (off-the-wall here) "visibly inhaling" to "deliver [your] breath weapon with extra potency".
If all of that is possible (in the 1st round), I don't get why it should be impossible to have the image look like getting buffed by a spells effect (not casting/invoking it. just the visible application of the magical effect on me). because my real self did the invocation, not my image). Otherwise if my real self invokes FtS,it looks like nothing happened for the enemy. If the image really wants to bluff the enemies, shouldn't there be some kind of magic be visible?

Now, the interesting question is: can you bluff through the image, performing an action that your real self cannot perform? Take, for example, the deep breath ability, which is a Xorvintaal dragon ability. Can a dragonfire adept fake its use? I'm personally all for allowing it, because it's great fun.

I don't think so, cause the illusion is restricted to yourself. And thus I think, you will set the limits. Further a real attack attempt isn't recommend, cause it will give the enemy a disbelieve roll. And since it passes trough him without any harm, he may even get bonuses on the roll.

Fouredged Sword
2016-09-09, 01:20 PM
Addressing the possibility of an invisible afterimage.

This is a thing. It is an illusion that can only be seen by those using see invisible as they can see invisible things but may not be able to see through all illusions.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-09-09, 01:45 PM
If all of that is possible (in the 1st round), I don't get why it should be impossible to have the image look like getting buffed by a spells effect (not casting/invoking it. just the visible application of the magical effect on me). because my real self did the invocation, not my image). Otherwise if my real self invokes FtS,it looks like nothing happened for the enemy. If the image really wants to bluff the enemies, shouldn't there be some kind of magic be visible?
Ah, right, so you're essentially pretending to cast the "I'm going to eat my enemies" invocation, when you're really casting flee the scene, hoping the afterimage looks like it's been buffed? I'd allow that, with, say, a Bluff check (maybe Sleight of Hand), opposed by Spellcraft or Spot? If an observer has no ranks in Spellcraft at all, you're pretty likely to succeed.

I don't think so, cause the illusion is restricted to yourself. And thus I think, you will set the limits.
Hmm, now that you mention it, that's a good reading. Flee the scene does not mention that it only looks like you, it says it is an image of you, as in, an image of the character described by your character sheet, including the abilities on that sheet.

Further a real attack attempt isn't recommend, cause it will give the enemy a disbelieve roll.
The deep breath thing is a preparation for the actual attack; it's a move action to make your next breath weapon more powerful (four extra damage dice). The move action itself doesn't include any attack, but it might goad your enemy into attacking you (to stop the incoming breath weapon), which is what you want.

Gruftzwerg
2016-09-10, 01:34 AM
Ah, right, so you're essentially pretending to cast the "I'm going to eat my enemies" invocation, when you're really casting flee the scene, hoping the afterimage looks like it's been buffed?
Yeah, that is my intention and I believe that it is at least RAI if not even RAW. But as we see here, the lil text that FtS gives us is drawing up much confusion.
And the lack of interest for the warlocks in i-net forums, compared to T1 classes where almost any sentence was 1337times checked for anything abuse-able, leaves us with much room to debate and discuss about.. ^^

Hmm, now that you mention it, that's a good reading. Flee the scene does not mention that it only looks like you, it says it is an image of you, as in, an image of the character described by your character sheet, including the abilities on that sheet.
Yeah, that is pretty much what I read out of it. You get a Major Image of "yourself". not more (can't do anything you can't) and not less (is only limited by Major Image and you).

The deep breath thing is a preparation for the actual attack; it's a move action to make your next breath weapon more powerful (four extra damage dice). The move action itself doesn't include any attack, but it might goad your enemy into attacking you (to stop the incoming breath weapon), which is what you want.
Ah, now I get it. Thought that the deep breath was an attack by itself. But this kinda scenario is pretty much what I intend to produce. I cast an afterimage which looks like buffing up (deep breath / Enlarge Person / Alter Self / pretending that I am still casting = 1Round cast time ...) and hope to "taunt" the enemies with that.