PDA

View Full Version : DM Help The Switch From Pathfinder to 5th Edition

PapaQuackers
2016-09-04, 02:38 PM
Hi guys, I've been playing D&D for a few years now and I've done a fair amount of running Pathfinder games and 3.5. I have just today ordered the 5th Edition Players Hand Book and the Monster Manual. I was wondering if I could get some advice on the changes from 5th Edition to Pathfinder, things to avoid, things to implement, and just general tips from someone making such a transition. Any and all advice is welcome and I appreciate the help.

Kryx
2016-09-04, 02:49 PM
I transitioned when 5e first came out.

Firstly I'd recommend trying to experience 5e for what it is - try your best to remove the PF glasses and try not to compare them as they are different games.

I still play APs by converting the monsters via my converter: http://marklenser.com/5econverter/

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-09-04, 04:09 PM
Hi guys, I've been playing D&D for a few years now and I've done a fair amount of running Pathfinder games and 3.5. I have just today ordered the 5th Edition Players Hand Book and the Monster Manual. I was wondering if I could get some advice on the changes from 5th Edition to Pathfinder, things to avoid, things to implement, and just general tips from someone making such a transition. Any and all advice is welcome and I appreciate the help.

Say farewell to Rules Crunch, say hello to Role Play.

Kane0
2016-09-04, 04:11 PM
Be very careful of rules you assume to be in place. There is a certain similarity between the systems that makes it easy to think you already know a lot of it, where it is actually quite different. Opportunity attacks and vancian casting for example.

Seconding what Kryx said, try not to compare them as they are different in approach and feel even if the content is familiar.

mgshamster
2016-09-04, 04:17 PM
A while back a bunch of us old PF players made a thread discussing the changes from PF to 5e and the things you might need to watch out for.

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2t6qj?5e-Advice-for-Pathfinder-Players#1

Try to treat it like an entirely new game. Unlike the switch from 3rd to PF, the game is a lot different going from PF to 5th. As a DM, you're expected to make a lot more rulings during game.

PF tries to answer as many questions as t can through the rules, so usually when you have a question on how something should play out, you can look up a rule in a book. In 5e, you have a backbone of rules, and as a GM you're expected to make rulings to cover all the rest.

It makes for faster game play, in my experience, and allows us to focus much more on the game than on the rules of the game.

I am very happy I made the switch from PF.