PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Background story assistance

Iceking
2016-09-04, 02:49 PM
Hey to all of you.

I've build a character with a lot of assistance of you fellow users, but I have one more big problem.

My DM lets me play a Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold Sorcerer/Incantatrix (NO LOREDRAKE)
But only if I can come up with a hell of a backgroundstory.

Now, like I allready told to some of you, I'm not creative at all. And since I want to start at venerable age, my DM lets me make up a story for about 120 years :smalleek:.

Who can assist me on it?

Some details about this world.
Every time the king dies, a new one can be chosen, only nobles have the oportunity to vote.
I'm living in a world where there are 12 known provinces. Each of them ruled by a Noble (Duke). On the north there are mountains as a border to another kingdom. West is ocean with 2 islands in it, also part of my kingdom. South, I cant remember and east is ruled by wildlings.

There is a mighty wizard, Adrum, who wants to rule the kingdom (he didnt actually told us that, but we, as adventurers do believe this) And we believe hi is evil. In this kingdom a wizard/mage/... cant be ruler. He has been an advicer of the old king and we believe he has something to do with the dead of the king.

There has been a new election (the adventurers had to assist former prins medon) between Prince Medon and a Noble Senica Ardeinicos. The prince won the election but senica didnt accept his los. Together with the other 4 nobles who voted for him he ran away and tried to take over the kingdom.
The adventurers became nobles and got a piece of land. For this they need to grand the king (Medon) an army to try and keep the kingdom.

In the same time, a halforc named Kruggek has gone from one tribe to another to try and take over parts of this kingdom at the borders. He tries to do this around the place called Aspida. This is where the adventurers have their piece of land.

Last sessions there were some fights to take over an old ruin and the adventurers have been looking for kruggek.

Anyone who has a bit more of inspiration/creativity and wants to help me will be thanked ^^

Pieces I would like in my story.

My birth (i'm dragonwrought, so a little special)
I had a chosen one (kobolds arent monosexual (dont know english word) but can choose someone out of practical business to live together.
How did I become sorcerer
How did I become incantatrix
A lot of fillings with some details from over my 120 years of living.
I became a lot more selfaware then a normal kobold (who lives for his "family") and live a little more selfish now.
I did join Kruggek the last weeks but now i see its not the thing to do so i will be deserting and joining the adventurers.

Take care of me beiing a Kobold caster. (so i didnt slay like 50 guys in a swordfight and i'm not talking to animals/trees/... like elfs do)

Thanks a lot in advance.

Extra Anchovies
2016-09-04, 10:27 PM
How do kobolds fit into the setting? You don't mention them in your overview.

Perhaps there's a kobold settlement near the adventurers' granted land that's been threatened but not yet taken over by Kruggek. You've been sent - or have chosen to go - to the adventurers to help them resist Kruggek and to recruit their aid in defending the kobolds. This could be part of a larger treaty, too; maybe the kobolds have a mine rich with high-quality ores, and in exchange for help against Kruggek's warbands they give a sizable discount on masterwork arms and armor for the military complement required by the king. The kobolds have a guaranteed market for their goods, the superior quality of the adventurers' military unit would please the king, and both the adventurers and the kobolds have an ally to help them fend off Kruggek. If the rest of the group likes the idea, the kobolds could propose the treaty the next time the other PCs return to their base of operations, and once it's signed, your character could join the party as part of an inter-community cooperation initiative. That would certainly explain why a venerable dragonwrought kobold is only now becoming an adventurer - prior to the treaty, they were preoccupied with business in the kobolds' territory.

You mention you joined Kruggek for a short time... hm. Maybe the kobolds had a peace treaty of sorts with Kruggek. You aided his efforts for a time (perhaps as part of the treaty, the kobolds sent you as a representative among his lieutenants) but at some point you learned that Kruggek plans to break the treaty and take over the kobolds' territory. You promptly returned to your fellow kobolds and informed them of the impending betrayal, which inspired them to seek an alliance with the adventurers instead.

Why do you want to be a Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold Incantatrix in the first place? Do you think that level of character power is necessary in this game?

As for why you're a sorcerer, that fits right in with Dragonwrought - your magical abilities are a result of your exceptionally strong draconic heritage. I recommend taking the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage, detailed at the bottom of this page (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a).

Iceking
2016-09-05, 12:35 AM
How do kobolds fit into the setting? You don't mention them in your overview.

For as far we knew, they were just ... kobolds. No special thing mentioned about them.

Perhaps there's a kobold settlement near the adventurers' granted land that's been threatened but not yet taken over by Kruggek. You've been sent - or have chosen to go - to the adventurers to help them resist Kruggek and to recruit their aid in defending the kobolds. This could be part of a larger treaty, too; maybe the kobolds have a mine rich with high-quality ores, and in exchange for help against Kruggek's warbands they give a sizable discount on masterwork arms and armor for the military complement required by the king. The kobolds have a guaranteed market for their goods, the superior quality of the adventurers' military unit would please the king, and both the adventurers and the kobolds have an ally to help them fend off Kruggek. If the rest of the group likes the idea, the kobolds could propose the treaty the next time the other PCs return to their base of operations, and once it's signed, your character could join the party as part of an inter-community cooperation initiative. That would certainly explain why a venerable dragonwrought kobold is only now becoming an adventurer - prior to the treaty, they were preoccupied with business in the kobolds' territory.

You mention you joined Kruggek for a short time... hm. Maybe the kobolds had a peace treaty of sorts with Kruggek. You aided his efforts for a time (perhaps as part of the treaty, the kobolds sent you as a representative among his lieutenants) but at some point you learned that Kruggek plans to break the treaty and take over the kobolds' territory. You promptly returned to your fellow kobolds and informed them of the impending betrayal, which inspired them to seek an alliance with the adventurers instead.
I like this last paragraph

Why do you want to be a Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold Incantatrix in the first place? Do you think that level of character power is necessary in this game?

As for why you're a sorcerer, that fits right in with Dragonwrought - your magical abilities are a result of your exceptionally strong draconic heritage. I recommend taking the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage, detailed at the bottom of this page (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a).

I dont think its necesairy, but I just wanted to play a blast sorcerer and with assistance of GITP I chose this one.

Only problem I have now is that I need a 120 year old story.

Edit: added quote sections

Iceking
2016-09-06, 02:58 AM
Had written some stuff up and send it to my DM.
He also told my I CAN NOT use Hruggek (see first post) in my story.

I still have 60 years of adventure to make up.

My story (in short) so far.

I'm from a cave where my mother had the first dragonwrought egg in that tribe for ages.
They brought me to "the holy temple of Aurix" (temple where kobolds hatch there dragonwrought eggs) where i hatched and got my "education". This was more like giving tips how to use the magic i felt.
After some years of dedication and practicing I seem to have build very strong offencive powers, even stronger then some of my "teachers". Cause of this talent I'm chosen as master to assist the new apprentices.
After some years we noticed that there were comming less and less eggs to the temple so, as strong and charismatic sorcerer I traveled from cave to cave to assist other tribes on defending them from new attacks. But while doiing this, the temple has been attacked. At first glance it looked like an ordinary attack from wild animals, but there was magic needed to break trough some barricades.
All available eggs have been stolen and I'm making a group to find the cause.

This former part involves around 60 years. I need another 60 years to get me to the end point.

I'm thinking that I might have been wrong and might be listening to the other side of the story (this is where I come with the existing adventurers of the DND sessions)

I need this story by tomorrow night. So all stuff is welcome.

Side note:

I'm living on the northnortheast of an elfen kingdom. If I go more to the north (mountains) it is very cold. More to the east is water, more to the west is wilderness (where i'm also partially in)

Karl Aegis
2016-09-06, 04:37 AM
I think you skipped over what color scales you have. The color of your scales is a good indication of what you hope to have as your endgame spells. Like if you had blue scales you could be looking for the purest form of lightning, lightning breath, and could have been gaining access to arcane literature trying to figure out how to breath lightning (maybe through less scrupulous means).

Also, you're dragonwrought. Go find a dragon or something. I'm sure you can spot one dragon in an entire century of living. You get a bonus to spot as you age and dragons get bigger as they age. It's not like all dragons fly at high altitudes while invisible all the time.

Iceking
2016-09-06, 04:59 AM
I think you skipped over what color scales you have. The color of your scales is a good indication of what you hope to have as your endgame spells. Like if you had blue scales you could be looking for the purest form of lightning, lightning breath, and could have been gaining access to arcane literature trying to figure out how to breath lightning (maybe through less scrupulous means).

Also, you're dragonwrought. Go find a dragon or something. I'm sure you can spot one dragon in an entire century of living. You get a bonus to spot as you age and dragons get bigger as they age. It's not like all dragons fly at high altitudes while invisible all the time.

Well, the color is violet, its in the story (i've only translated most important parts, its allready more then 2 pages) i'm violet/purple (amethist) But my spells are allready chosen my character is ready to enter the game on lvl 12 (previous one died for beiing stubourn).

The dragon part is a fine idea. I should need a good reason to look and find a dragon. But i dont think that's worth 60 years for my dm. Maybe a year or 5.

Iceking
2016-09-07, 01:13 PM
My story (in short) so far.

I'm from a cave where my mother had the first dragonwrought egg in that tribe for ages.
They brought me to "the holy temple of Aurix" (temple where kobolds hatch there dragonwrought eggs) where i hatched and got my "education". This was more like giving tips how to use the magic i felt.
After some years of dedication and practicing I seem to have build very strong offencive powers, even stronger then some of my "teachers". Cause of this talent I'm chosen as master to assist the new apprentices.
After some years we noticed that there were comming less and less eggs to the temple so, as strong and charismatic sorcerer I traveled from cave to cave to assist other tribes on defending them from new attacks. But while doiing this, the temple has been attacked. At first glance it looked like an ordinary attack from wild animals, but there was magic needed to break trough some barricades.
All available eggs have been stolen and I'm making a group to find the cause.

ADDED PART:
I've went trought the savage wilderness in the east and met a girl. She has the same talents as I did. After many weeks I've asked her to be the chosen one, but she didnt accept. Some time later she accepted to be the chosen one of another kobolt, so we (I) started a fight. I have 5 green marks on my tail to remember this fight.
We left this clan to travel north.

North is much more quiet. Less life, but harder to survive. A sudden snowstorm caught us all offguard and i got saved by a Dragonborn Paladin. He was there to find his heritage. We found documents in a lot of safehouses and saw 3 dragons. Everytime he spotted one, he got stronger somehow the next day.
After he was satisfied, we came back to the kingdom of the elves where i've been looking for years to find what happened to our eggs and who entered the temple.

Now this is maybe good to get like 90 years of story, but i would need some more to get to 120.

All Ideas and where to put them are appreciated.