PDA

View Full Version : Would an aggro drawing version of Bracers of Defense be unreasonable?

Telesto
2016-09-04, 03:48 PM
I can't seem to find anything that will compell enemies to attack my player, however his build is meant to be targeted (totem warrior druid). So I was thinking of giving him a set of Bracers of Defense with a curse on them which makes it so that creatures within 5 feet of him must make a DC 14 Wisdom save to attack targets other than him. It's a curse because it will have the same effect on PCs as well.

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-09-04, 04:07 PM
Blame The DM, Not The Imaginary Minds Of D&D Creatures

That's my motto.

Telesto
2016-09-04, 04:12 PM
I am the DM. But after a Sea Hag encounter and 2 pcs getting their teeth knocked in while the barbarian couldn't move closer, I was thinking that a handy item which pushes for attacks against the barb would help him, even when the creatures would logically attack others

Giant2005
2016-09-04, 04:18 PM
That magic item sounds incredibly powerful. It is basically a permanent, aoe version of Compelled Duel that doesn't have the usual drawbacks of Compelled Duel.
I wouldn't do it, but you are the DM so you can go ahead and do whatever you like. Keep in mind that by doing so, you are denying the players one of the most important aspects of the game that actually make it a game - the strategy. If all of the nuances of strategy are already built in to the game in such a manner, then the players themselves will be doing little more than mindlessly rolling dice. That isn't the sort of game that I would want to play in, and before you go and do something like this, you need to figure out if that is the sort of game your players would want to be playing.

Telesto
2016-09-04, 04:29 PM
Honestly my PCs don't even know what strategy is. They lack the attention span to think ahead or even work in a cohesive unit

Although, come to think of it, I am currently introducing my girlfriend to DnD in this campaign, and about half the spells I've picked for her now are strategic in nature. Kind of hoping she runs with that, but eh.

Kryx
2016-09-04, 04:31 PM
Using magic items to fix tactics sounds like a bad idea.

Encourage them to work as a team - provide them with example enemies that do so as an example. For example a group of goblins with a tanky guy, an archer, a caster, and a healer all working in tandem.

Telesto
2016-09-04, 04:35 PM
Using magic items to fix tactics sounds like a bad idea.

Encourage them to work as a team - provide them with example enemies that do so as an example. For example a group of goblins with a tanky guy, an archer, a caster, and a healer all working in tandem.

Oh god. I like the idea a lot, but realistically they would probably die horribly. I did have the sea hag disengage at one point to swim under the water and assault the barbarian that way. (This is prior to him being a solid tank, as we just went from 1 to 5 after that and the item is intended as a reward for them reaching 10 after our next mini adventure)

Sigreid
2016-09-04, 04:37 PM
I think after they get their rear ends handed to them you can either talk to them directly or have an NPC veteran talk to them about what they could have done better.

Kryx
2016-09-04, 04:44 PM
I used Goblins as an example, but they probably are very low levels so as you say they may die.

Then it boils down to talking to them and then when they hit level 2 you can throw that group of 4 goblins against them.

Telesto
2016-09-04, 04:48 PM
I think next session I'll do that with the spectators. They'll be level 5 so it may work out. We're doing levels 1, 5, 10, 15, and 20 then moving on to the next race.