PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Out of the Abyss Chapter 1 help

Gastronomie
2016-09-04, 09:39 PM
I have a session upcoming in the 9th as a DM, and before that, I want to solve this question.

So, my players are gonna escape Velkynvelve. Normally, a DM would have the chaos of demonic invasion do the job of distracting everybody, but here I'm thinking something else - the demonic invasion will be nothing but a reason why the "drow don't instantly come after them", and the escape itself will be done by just the players' wits and abilities. Because that way it feels much less Deus Ex Machina.

The players are doing really good. They've developed a good relationship with Jorlan even before he asked them first, and one of them is also a Master of Disguise (she took the UA feat at first level), and can disguise the half-drow in the party as Ilvara herself (all the drow warriors except Shoor must kneel and bow down in the commander's presence, and thus they wouldn't realize even if her face was slightly different. By RAW, Master of Disguise can only disguise herself, but I allowed her to make disguise tools for other people as well, since it makes more sense that way - all she's making is the "clothings and stuff required for disguise". BTW, she got the clothing required for this job from Jorlan, after they got him onto their side).

The players have a plan, and a good one, too. One of them will be disguised as Ilvara, and after they escape their prison (Jorlan will unlock the keys), the fake Ilvara will order the Quaggoths to lower a bunch of cargo hauled on a big wagon, using the Lift in area 5. The prisoners are actually hidden in this cargo. Being dim-witted, the Quaggoths will simply lower it down, and the fake Ilvara will have a particular Quaggoth pull the wagon out of the cave - this Quaggoth being Derendil, except again disguised as a normal beastly Quaggoth.

...And they will get out of the cavern without a single fight.

(Or, at least, with just a single fight. In my game, Shoor has already executed Eldeth right after the players developed a really good relationship with her, and I asked my players whether they want to kill Shoor in chapter 1 or not - to which all of them answered that they want to. Thus, just as they're leaving the cavern, I will have Shoor jump down towards the cargo (using Levitate), and ask the fake Ilvara about what he should do with a particular job that Ilvara is supposed to do right now, but seemingly has ignored (due to going out of the cavern). Shoor will continue to ask questions, and since the fake Ilvara doesn't have knowledge of Ilvara's jobs, she will eventually make a mistake, to which Shoor will react by rolling initiative. Shoor in my games is not a CR 5 Drow Elite Warrior as in the MM, but instead has his own homebrewed stats and two magical weapons. While a formidable foe, with two separate initiative rolls and a plethora of attack methods, the players should be able to defeat him. After Shoor is dead, the drow warriors will realize something is wrong, but just as they try to jump in on the adventurers, the demons will come into the cavern and start attacking the fortress, allowing the players to escape*).

*One of the party adventurers is a Fiend Warlock with Demogorgon as his patron. It's not like Demogorgon knows him, it's just that he's channeling his powers from Demogorgon without Demogorgon even realizing it (sorta like GOO patrons), but he recently has certain weird dreams pertaining to the demons rising. At the day of escape, the Warlock's foster mother (a powerful witch) who educated him as a warlock (also a Warlock of Demogorgon herself) will appear in his dreams, and will mockingly ask him whether he wants some help or not. Given the situation and the personality of the warlock, he'd most likely agree, which will result in the demonic attacks. This will make it feel like the demonic attacks are not just out of the blue, but more connected to the backstories of the adventurers. The foster mother Grand High Witch of the party warlock is scheduled to later appear in Gravenhollow.

...Now, then, what's my problem?

My problem is how to make Ilvara absent when the players are disguised. If Ilvara is walking around and catches another Ilvara walking around, the players will be doomed. The players also know this, so they are going to move right when they know she is absent.

So far, some ideas I have are the following:
-Ilvara, being a priest, must pray to Lolth on a certain day for several hours, and this day is upcoming. This may be something that's done once in a while, like once a week or something, or it may be a special occasion, like a special holiday. There's even the possibility that it's something really unique, like Ilvara found out that her mother has died and she's going to be the new head of the Mizzrym family, so she has to pray to Lolth to get her to accept it. The problem with this solution is that the chances are high that most drow warriors will be aware of this, and so, they might question why Ilvara is walking around doing a different job when she's supposed to be still praying.
-Ilvara is irritated that the merchants who are supposed to come from Menzoberranzan and pick up the prisoners are being very late, and she will use a scrying ball to contact Menzoberranzan and check on what's happening. Given the nature of Faerzness, this requires a lot of time and effort, which means she will be snuck up in her chamber for some time. The problem with this solution is that it might be difficult for the players to gain this information without it seeming too "set up for the players"...

Do you guys have any good ideas? Thanks.

Ashdate
2016-09-05, 09:04 AM
I think the honest answer to your question is: don't.

Think of it as a classic heist movie; the group comes up with the perfect plan, but then things start going wrong, and they've got to improvise.

So feel free to suggest (or allow the PCs, while doing their daily tasks) that Ilvara prays every day at dusk. But maybe that's only six days a week, and the night the PCs decide to book it is the seventh day.

Or maybe even better, force them to make a move without perfect information. Maybe they hear the rumour that they will be transported to another location in three days, so they've got to work on 80% of a good plan.

So rather than helping them craft a full-proof plan, I would think about ways to subtly screw with it. That doesn't mean introducing scenarios that would instantly cause failure, just throw a few in to make them sweat (maybe a drow elite orders the disguised Quaggoth to perform a task, and/or Jorlan gets detained to they end up running an hour behind etc.) and then toss in the "oh $@%#" moment where everything goes off the rails and they must now think on their feet.

You're the DM, so unless you are a devout follower of "may the dice fall where they may" feel free to make fake rolls behind the screen and fudge attack/damage rolls.

If all else fails, THEN have the demons rush in and give the PCs the opportunity to escape.

Thrudd
2016-09-05, 10:20 AM
You run your game in a very strange manner. Asking the players if they want a bad guy to show up in a particular session?

You shouldn't ask the players what they want to happen. You ask them what their characters are doing, and you tell them what happens. Why do the players think they would know when Ilvara wouldn't be around? Do they have a spy following her and reporting back, or a way to magically watch her from within the cell? If they don't, then they have no way to know if they will run into her and they're taking a chance. You should decide a percent chance that Ilvara is in any given area at a given time. As the players move around, roll to see if she's in that area, and if she is, roll each turn they're there to see if she sees them or runs into them. If they get caught, well now they need to figure out how to get away. They certainly must know that no plan could be a 100% chance of success, especially when there are so many variables that can't be predicted.

mgshamster
2016-09-05, 10:52 AM
You can always have her and other drow gone on another slave hunting mission.

For my game, the players came up with the idea of swaying one of the guards in a unique way - they mad a bet with Jimjar they he couldn't sway one of the guards to help them out. From there, I used a modified version of Jorlan's Gambit.

I had the demon attack come, which set Jorlan's plans in motion earlier than expected, so they made their escape while the demons fought - with most of them jumping off the bridge into the waters below and a select few (the players who made that session) did a quick excursion to scout the barracks and see if they could find their equipment. This was done while all the drow were busy with the demons, so they had minimal resistance.

Afterwards, as they all swam to the shoreline, they witnessed Ilvara's powers (I did this so they would be afraid to face their pursuers and instead run).

For your game...

I really like the idea of them doing the escape scene without combat - really sneaky like. I think you should let this work as planned with one exception - after they're lowered down and on their way out in the wagon, Ilvara returns. Then one of the drow (perhaps even Jorlan himself, since he's only doing this to make her look bad) question why she's up here when she was just lowered down the elevator. That's when she realizes what happens, see herself with the other slaves making a mistake, and yells out "After them!" in a clear enough voice that the PCs can hear her. And now they have to run since they know they're being chased.

(You can even do a "camera pan" and let the players know what happened, even if their PCs don't).