PDA

View Full Version : Cabin in the Wood [IC]

Pages : [1] 2

Pope Scarface
2016-09-04, 10:16 PM
You find yourselves traveling along a dirt road that cuts across a long field of tall wild grass that grows up to your shoulder. You haven't seen any other travelers for days, but according to the map Victor Biccolu gave you, this property should be no more than a day further out. He's paying you each 100 gold to go out to this "cabin in the woods" and appraise it to see if it is worth the trouble to claim his rights to the property, as it is somewhat remote, and he would need to arrange for a relation to live there in order for his family to maintain rights to it. He has also heard rumors that it may be haunted, or perhaps some wild beast has taken residence there. If you bring back evidence of this, and that you have cleared out whatever dangers were there, he has offered to double your pay.

As you continue on, you see the start of a forest in the distance. You expect you will reach it by nightfall. It also begins to rain lightly.

Antilles123
2016-09-05, 12:42 AM
You find yourselves traveling along a dirt road that cuts across a long field of tall wild grass that grows up to your shoulder. You haven't seen any other travelers for days, but according to the map Victor Biccolu gave you, this property should be no more than a day further out. He's paying you each 100 gold to go out to this "cabin in the woods" and appraise it to see if it is worth the trouble to claim his rights to the property, as it is somewhat remote, and he would need to arrange for a relation to live there in order for his family to maintain rights to it. He has also heard rumors that it may be haunted, or perhaps some wild beast has taken residence there. If you bring back evidence of this, and that you have cleared out whatever dangers were there, he has offered to double your pay.

As you continue on, you see the start of a forest in the distance. You expect you will reach it by nightfall. It also begins to rain lightly.

Vengar wraps his cloak around him slightly tighter as the rain starts to fall. Steam gently curls from his nostrils as he scans the horizon for any sign of activity from the forest.

"Let's get a move on - haunted cabin, my foot! If we hurry up, we can be back by nightfall, grab our reward and still get a hot meal"

Fishybugs
2016-09-05, 01:22 AM
Jenara was glad for her new clothing. These boots were definitely made for walking, and her feet felt great even after travelling all day. As the rain starts to come down, she pulls her hood up on the woolen cloak that hangs around her armor. But really, Jena, who travells in armor these days? You probably didn't even need to bring it."

She shared her companion's belief that the cabin wasn't haunted, but something weird must be going on for Victor to put out so much money. "Yes. As Vengar says, let's try to make better time and get to the shelter of the trees."

daze413
2016-09-05, 01:36 AM
Ah, bother. Brelard thought as the first drops of rain hits his tiny frame. He looks up at the gloom and frowns as he pulls his hood up and holds him palm outward to gauge the rain.

He glanced up at the determined figures of his companions and wondered at the sure stride despite the strengthening rain. Maybe I can cover myself under the Dragonborn... But that'd be rude.[/COLOR

[COLOR="#FF8C00"]"Can't we find somewhere to shelter ourselves?" the gnome says, looking around the surroundings to see if there's any shelter. "I'm sure the cabin'll still be there tomorrow anyway."
]

Antilles123
2016-09-05, 06:50 AM
"Well, let's see what the dice say. They haven't been wrong yet."

Vengar pulled some white bone dice out of his belt pouch, stopping briefly to roll them on the sodden ground. He snatched them up quickly and stowed them safely again.

"I knew it. The dice say there is nothing better for shelter than a cabin in the woods! Come on, we're almost there."

As he strode forward, Vengar reflexively grasped the hilt of his longsword. It had never yet failed to warn him of impending danger. He just hoped it continued that way.

Pope Scarface
2016-09-05, 08:13 AM
Over the next hour or so of walking, the rain picks up a bit, from a drizzle to a proper rain.

[OOC: don't want to move too much farther until everyone has a chance to make an IC post.]

daze413
2016-09-05, 08:48 AM
don't worry, we'll just have some fun RPing :)

*** As Vengar throws some dice ***

Brelard's ears prick up at the mention of dice, he pops his head out of the damp hood and raises a brow as Vengar hunches over the ground, small feet carrying him hurriedly to get a glimpse of the rolls but too late, Vengar had already stowed them in his pocket.

As Vengar stands up, towering over the gnome again, Brelard says "I really don't think that was a proper ritual, Vengar."

*** The rain picks up ***

Brelard grumbles and complains while walking, annoyed at being soaked in the miserable rain. Just my luck. he thinks while carressing the Luckstone in his pocket. "Y'know, this is how you catch colds." he lets out a final exasperated complaint that is drowned out by the pitterpatter of rain.

Black Socks
2016-09-05, 09:23 AM
Vengar wraps his cloak around him slightly tighter as the rain starts to fall. Steam gently curls from his nostrils as he scans the horizon for any sign of activity from the forest.

"Let's get a move on - haunted cabin, my foot! If we hurry up, we can be back by nightfall, grab our reward and still get a hot meal"
"Do not be so sure, young one. Danger lurks in the most unexpected places."
Sariel keeps an eye on the road, watching for danger. She is used to damp temperatures, this rain does not bother her.
((Should we establish a marching order? Sariel has a high passive perception score (15) and a ranged weapon, plus proficiency in Stealth and advantage on inititave checks, so I think she should be at the front. Bringing up the rear, we'll need someone sturdy, with the more squishy characters in the middle.))

miinstrel
2016-09-05, 11:07 AM
Zeth double checks the draw string on his pack, mindful of the cards and other items the rain would damage. Once secured, he breathes in the damp, earth-laden air. "You don't see the truth in the dice, Brelard?" Zeth chuckles. "It's just a little rain, though I have a feeling it will get worse the farther in we travel. Might as well hustle to the cabin and get a fire going. No reason we can't enjoy ourselves while we're there, right? We should also make sure all the amenities a lord might need are in working order," he muses.

Pope Scarface
2016-09-05, 05:30 PM
Stalking stealthfully through the rain and the tall grass, two sleek panther-like forms with long black tentacles protruding from their shoulder approach to ambush the group. However, through a weird twist of fate, their images, projected slightly forward, are clearly visible to the group, alerting you to their presence before they were ready to strike (PCs go first).

Battlefield Notes:

The monsters are twenty feet away, to the right side of the group, towards the rear. The rain is beginning to make the dirt road into a muddy mess, and the tall grass also inhibits movement, so everything is currently difficult terrain. Because of the rain, all ranged attacks have disadvantage.

Black Socks
2016-09-05, 06:22 PM
((They're displacer beasts!))
Sariel grabs her longbow and shoots an arrow at the monster on the left.

[roll0]
[roll1]
Oops, forgot disadvantage.
1d20+6
And now I can't roll again.

Antilles123
2016-09-05, 06:26 PM
"Look out, on the right!", Vengar shouts to his companions.

"Trying to stalk us eh? We'll see about that!"

Vengar casts Faerie Fire on both panthers (DC 14 Dex save).

"Sariel, strike true and repel these abominations!"
(Vengar gives Bardic Inspiration (d8) to Sariel, as a bonus action).

1d20+3
1d20+3

Once within the next 10 minutes, the creature can roll the die and add the number rolled to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw it makes. The creature can wait until after it rolls the d20 before deciding to use the Bardic Inspiration die, but must decide before the DM says whether the roll succeeds or fails.

A creature that has a Bardic Inspiration die from you can roll that die and add the number rolled to a weapon damage roll it just made. Alternatively, when an attack roll is made against the creature, it can use its reaction to roll the Bardic Inspiration die and add the number rolled to its AC against that attack, after seeing the roll but before knowing whether it hits or misses.

EDIT: Added initiative rolls

Black Socks
2016-09-05, 06:29 PM
Second roll due to disadvantage with longbow:
[roll0]

Antilles123
2016-09-05, 06:38 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Fishybugs
2016-09-05, 06:47 PM
Jenara looks at the panther and contemplates a few moments. Ha. I knew it was something aside from the undead, she thinks as she brings up her amulet, a silver sun, partially eclipsed by a crescent moon.

"Beware. They don't look as if they plan to borrow trail rations." She giggles as she realizes they are on a trail. "In fact, we may be their trail rations."

"Pholtus, help us get to this cabin to complete our work of good," she murmers to her god. She points to the creature on the right, and a silver flame descends from a point directly above the cat.

Cast Sacred Flame. Save vs DEX or take 2d8 damage.

Damage: [roll0]

She will then draw her sword and move between the beasts and her companions.

daze413
2016-09-05, 07:24 PM
Brelard's suspicions were coming true, at first he didn't want to share his discovery about this region for fear that he might be wrong but now with these monstrosities before him, he'll have to have a long chat with his companions.

But first, these displacer beasts... he takes a crystal from his pocket and mutters a phrase, when a sudden chill engulfs one of the beasts closest to his companions and who is about to strike.

"I marvel at that longsword Vengar!" Brelard says as he finishes the incantation, "it's like it can tell the future or something. You must let me study it!" between breaths, the gnome takes a few steps backkeeping his much stronger companions between him and the displacer beasts.

casting Frostbite dc 14 con save or take
[roll0] damage and suffer Disadvantage on the next attack.

Moving away around 15 ft.

miinstrel
2016-09-05, 10:21 PM
"It also leads you to water if you hold it properly," Zeth chortled as he swirled his arm unleashing a stream of purple energy in the direction of the tentacled creature on the right.

"Are these things native around here? Feels like a bad omen."

Jenara, you feel Zeth push a brief vision into your mind. The displacer beast is upon you, and you watch as it bounds forward. Do you see?

Eldritch Blast: [roll0] / [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] (force)

Step 10 feet behind Jena.

Bonus Action: Bardic Inspiration to Jenara (d6)
Add to ability check, attack roll, or saving throw after d20 is rolled.

Pope Scarface
2016-09-06, 06:46 AM
PC Turn:

Sariel:

Sariel's arrow flies wild.

Vengar:

A burst of green light wraps around the displacer beasts, clinging to them and making it much easier to pinpoint where they are.
[roll0]

Jenara:

Silver flames erupts around one of the strange tentacled cats, but the image of the creature shatters and it becomes visible just a few steps to the right.
[roll1]

Brelard:

The rain falling around one of the creatures creates a brief icy sheen as the wizard assaults it with magical cold. The creature shrugs off the sudden frost to no seeming ill effect.
[roll2]

Zeth:

Two blasts of purple energy spiral together towards one of the displacer beasts, striking it in the side.

(ooc: eldritch blast is actually two attacks for 1d10, but we'll keep the existing roll for this turn)

Displacer Beasts:

The displacer beasts stalk forward, eerie green flames outlining their invisible presence near the images of their form. The lead creature's now-obvious projection stalks forward ahead of it, past Jenara. She instinctively runs her sword through it, dissipating the image. The creature growls and then they both lash at her with spiked tentacles. Her armor fends off most of the assault, but one blow solidly strikes her shield, and the impact leaves her arm numb (10 damage).

miinstrel
2016-09-06, 11:39 AM
Zeth glares at the beast that struck Jenara. A flash of malevolence appears in his eyes as he mutters a few dark, nearly incomprehensible words causing a clumsiness to fall over the creature. He follows up with another blast of eldritch energy.

"You okay up there?" he hollers at Jena.

Bonus: Hex on the DB that hit Jenara = disadvantage on DEX checks.

Eldritch blast on the same DB (adv/disadv cancel out):
[roll0] / [roll1] force + [roll2] necrotic
[roll3] / [roll4] force + [roll5] necrotic

maintaining concentration on Hex.

Fishybugs
2016-09-06, 12:05 PM
Jenara the shock run through her right arm as her shield absorbs most of the damage. "Ha," she yells back at Zeth when he inquires about her, "My nannies hit me harder than that when I was a child." She grips her sword tightly and slashes at the cat that just hit her.

Attack: [roll0] Advantage for faerie fire: [roll1]
If she hits: [roll2] damage and [roll3] in case of a crit

Ooops...wasn't actually supposed to roll with advantage...but my first roll should have hit anyway.

Black Socks
2016-09-06, 02:24 PM
"Many thanks, sir Vengar! Your spell should balance out this accursed rain!"
Sariel once again shoots an arrow at the monster on the left.
[roll0]
Damage if it hits:
[roll1]

Antilles123
2016-09-06, 05:24 PM
"My pleasure Sariel. It brings pleasure to me to be able to light up your life like this!"

He also exclaims loudly to Zeth, "Let me show you how it's done, then you can play too".

Vengar moves forward, drawing his longsword with a flourish, slicing twice at the displacer beast on the left.

Bardic inspiration to Zeth (d8), on attack roll, damage, saving throw or increase to AC on monster hit. (Valor Bard)

[roll0] or [roll1] with Advantage from FF
[roll2]

[roll3] or [roll4] with Advantage from FF
[roll5]

If the one on the left dies after the first attack, I'll switch to the right for the second, moving adjacent if needed.

Also maintaining concentration on FF.

Antilles123
2016-09-06, 05:26 PM
OOC: Looks like second attack was a crit!
Additional damage: [roll0]

Black Socks
2016-09-06, 05:56 PM
Sariel suddenly remembers that she has two attacks. She shoots another arrow at the creature on the left.
[roll0]
[roll1]

daze413
2016-09-06, 06:58 PM
Brelard coolly weaves his hands again, his serene countenance not bothered by the presence of these beasts, he knows it is all part of the plan.

Shards of ice engulf the one on the right as he switches targets.

casting frostbite [roll0]

Pope Scarface
2016-09-07, 07:02 AM
Blades, arrows, and blasts of energy tear into the creature on the left, leaving gaping wounds and tearing out chunks of flesh. Its image slinks away, and then the green ghostly flame surrounding where it was vanishes, reappearing 40 feet away next to its image.

The other beast is momentarily covered in frost as the moisture around it flash freezes from Brelard's spell, but it seems unfazed. Its image weaves through the fighters around it, and then the outline of green flame vanishes and reappears behind the group of fighters. Brelard still out of reach, it lashes out towards Sariel, the ranger's less armored form seemingly more appetizing. Its barbed tentacles lash out at her, one striking across her arm [roll0], and the other lashing across her waist, pushing under the bottom of her leather cuirass to find purchase on the flesh beneath, the barbs sinking in before the tentacle tears loose in a spray of blood [roll1] (crit).

daze413
2016-09-07, 09:30 AM
As the Displacer Beast teleports behind the lines, Brelard sees it go for Sariel, well that's new... he thinks. Lucky for me, I wasn't the one being attacked.

Unfazed by his seeming failure to be effective, he draws even more power from his magic that materializes in white whispy tendrils that impact the beast as it moves, homing on the true form.

casting magic missile 1st level.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Fishybugs
2016-09-07, 10:15 AM
Jenara is taken off-guard a moment by the unusual moves of this beast. She once again clutches her holy symbol, murmurs a prayer to her god, then points to the displacer beast currently enveloping Sariel. Brilliant flashes of light streak out from her hand, attempting to strike the beast.

Cast Guiding Bolt

Attack roll: [roll]d20+7 for [roll0] damage and another [roll1] if it crits

miinstrel
2016-09-07, 10:43 AM
Oooh that looks like it hurt...

"Trelk," Zeth commanded pointing at Sariel's waist with one arm while striking out at the beast upon her with the other. One wound closes while another opens...

Bonus: Healing Word on Sariel: [roll0] healed

EB on the DB near Sariel (adv/disadv cancel):
[roll1] / [roll2] force
[roll3] / [roll4] force

Black Socks
2016-09-07, 02:45 PM
Sariel grits her teeth and draws her shortswords, slashing at the beast with them.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Antilles123
2016-09-07, 05:25 PM
"What the?" exclaims Vengar as the beast blinks out of existence.
"Only one way to make them stay still, I guess!"

Vengar moves to engage the beast that has sliced into Sariel and attacks, if it still lives after the previous actions from the party.
Otherwise, he'll drop his sword on the ground for free, draw his longbow and take two shots at the other one that is 40' away.

Melee attacks:
[roll0] or [roll1] with Adv
[roll2]

[roll3] or [roll4] with Adv
[roll5]

[roll6]

Longbow attack (if needed)
[roll7]
[roll8]

[roll9]
[roll10]

[roll11]

Pope Scarface
2016-09-09, 07:03 AM
As blades and magic tear into the creature, it yowls in pain, and flees as the other did.

ooc: The first one to flee is gone, as it has put enough distance with the tall grass and the rain to no longer be in line of sight. Parting attacks or pursuit of this one is still possible. If you want to do that, since I will be away, it has AC 13 and 24 remaining hit points. It seems to be ignoring the difficult terrain because of its weird teleport thing, so you've got one round of attacks. DC 12 Arcana, History, or Nature to know this creature's hide is valuable to the right buyer.

miinstrel
2016-09-09, 07:46 AM
As it teleports away, Zeth's eyes scan through the grass, beads of water dripping down his horns across his face. Spotting the green glow, he unleashes one final blast of energy at the fleeing creature.

EB at the DB:
[roll0] / [roll1] (force)
[roll2] / [roll3] (force)

Black Socks
2016-09-09, 03:07 PM
Sariel is overtaken by a thirst for vengeance. Foul creatures like that razed her village. With a tortured voice, she screams "NO!!!!!", shooting two arrows at the retreating beast.

Longbow attacks:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Damage if they hit:
[roll2]
[roll3]

((Alright, that's one hit, and a respectable 7 damage. If everyone attacks it, we should be able to finish it off.))

Antilles123
2016-09-09, 08:01 PM
Vengar's sword falls to the ground with a soft thump and he rips his shield off his arm in a flurry, dumping it with a clatter on top of the sword.

Pulling his bow from his back, he feels as if he is taking an eternity to let the arrows fly. Worth a try, maybe I'll get lucky.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]

daze413
2016-09-10, 02:35 AM
As the last one flees, Brelard consigns him to his fate, thinking that if the monster does escape, it's all part of the plan and the order of everything. Who am I, really, that I would alter f- that thing's hide could fetch a small fortune! He suddenly realizes. Brelard then raises his crystal focus and incants another frostbite spell.

Brelard runs after it with his tiny feet and moves 15 feet due to the mud, then he casts frostbite again dc 14 [roll0]damage

Pope Scarface
2016-09-11, 04:04 PM
The creature collapses to the ground after a parting flurry of arrows, eldritch blasts, and ice. Salvaging the hide will require a successful Survival and Arcana check. The Survival check will be at disadvantage because of the rain and the large holes blasted into it's side.

Antilles123
2016-09-11, 06:12 PM
"Zeth, can't you turn those things down? You've pretty much blasted a hole right through this thing. This hide is going to be tough to get off."

Vengar will take the help action to assist with the survival check of somebody who is better at it than him...(he has +2)

Black Socks
2016-09-11, 06:12 PM
Sariel sheathes her bow and she breathes heavily. "An excellent job, companions! I have the survival skills necessary to get that beast's hide, but someone else will need to provide the arcane knowledge."

Edit: But fate is against her today, for she almost certainly fails.

((I did the rolls over in OOC, but I got an 10. :smallsigh:))

daze413
2016-09-11, 07:44 PM
Brelard nods at Sariel and moves his small frame to the dead Displacer Beast, "Well, alright, lemme take a look at that thing.".

Brelard turns the corpse over and inspects it, he comes to a conclusion "Hmm, it's still salvageable, I think. Go ahead, Sariel, ummm... you might want to start here." he says, pointing to a spot beneath the creature's belly.

As Sariel rips into the Displacer Beast, Brelard decides that now is the time to warn his companions about his discovery, I don't care if I seem like a fool.

"Hey, guys, so listen... Everyone knows there are places in this plane, the Material Plane, our world, that... interlaps with other planes." he starts to say, trying desperately to explain the message, he has no idea if these bards know anything about the planes of exisitence. "those places are pretty rare but not unheard of, for example you might find places that interlap with the Abyss or the place might interlap with the Feywild." Brelard continues, trying to explain the planes as if to a child. "This is how monsters like this, normally not native to this plane, get here and terrorize innocent real estate scouters like us." he gives out a small laugh, hoping some humor might lighten his words.

"Well, anyway, in my studies back home, I... foresaw that this particular region interlaps with- wait for it, both the Abyss and the Feywild." he pauses to let it sink in. "It really is something, fascinating, isn't it? You have noticed this Displacer Beast could teleport short ranges, I'm guessing it has something to do with it's proximity to both planes."

"Victor won't like this news, and he spent too much on this house already."

Pope Scarface
2016-09-11, 08:02 PM
Brelard looks over the creature. Most of it's hide is too damaged to be salvageable, but Sariel does the best she can to get what hide is usable. Her blade catches on a chunk of hide that is badly frozen, and that chunk of hide crushes rather slicing open. In the end, all that can be skinned are four strips about a foot wide by two feet long that still seem to have any light-bending properties left in them.

Antilles123
2016-09-11, 11:57 PM
"Never mind Victor...when exactly did you plan on telling us this information? One of my old infantry units was wiped out because somebody withheld some information that they didn't think was 'important'". Vengar glared down at the gnome, small tendrils of smoke rising from his nostrils.

"Don't you think we should have perhaps asked for more money, given that we're wandering around the Abyss and Feywild rolled into one?". He paced back and forth, muttering as Sariel cut the strips of hide off the dead beast.

"Mind you, there will be some tales to tell from this...I'm sure. Just let us know about this stuff BEFORE we run into the tentacle monster T-Rex demon in the cabin, OK?"

daze413
2016-09-12, 02:06 AM
Brelard turns away from the Dragonborn in shame, "I'm sorry... I wanted to confirm it first." he says genuinely apologetically. But then adds, "It's not like we could have acted on the information." under his breath. "Even I didn't know these freak Displacer Beasts could teleport."

"At least we know what's coming, now, sort of."

I don't suppose Victor would accept these Displacer Beast hide strips and be done with it. Brelard shook the notion off, however, thinking that whatever fate had in store for him was there, at the Cabin.

Pope Scarface
2016-09-12, 06:28 AM
A bolt of lightning flashes in the distance, followed by a crack of thunder almost immediately, as the rain intensifies, and a wind picks up. There is now a heavy rain, and the path has been reduced to a quagmire of muck.

miinstrel
2016-09-12, 09:28 AM
And what horrors the other planes know... gods grant us guidance, Etzo prays silently, touching the small bump in his leather tunic where the many holy symbols hang close to his heart. And why are we stopping to skin this stupid beast? It's miserable out...

"We're here for a reason, even if the property turns out to be a dud. Let's keep our wits sharp and blades sharper, I predict fresh terror lies just past the edge of the forest ahead."

Brelard hears Zeth's voice in his mind. "Not all knowledge needs to be shared. You were right to make sure your vision was correct first instead of inspiring unnecessary fear." Zeth gives a small nod of approval to him.

"Let's keep moving, I'm soaked through," he insists. Speaking a word and moving his hand across his torso, he casts a cantrip to warm his clothing and help fend off the cold.

Black Socks
2016-09-12, 03:03 PM
Sariel remembers something, and can't resist a small smile. "Good news! I have much experience navigating this type of environment, and I should be able to guide us through this storm!"
But the fight took its toll on her, and she has to fight not to keel over from exhaustion.

((OOC: We can ignore the difficult terrain because forest and grasslands are Sariel's Natural Explorer environments.
I failed my save vs. exhaustion.))

Fishybugs
2016-09-12, 03:16 PM
Jena helps the group gather themselves following the combat. Rain running down her cloak, she pulls her hood a little more forward on her face to keep as dry as possible. She watches quietly as the pair attempt to skin the beast, and hears Brelard's explanation of the planar juxtaposition. "That makes sense," she says, thinking of the way angels and fiends could pass to this plane easier in some areas.

"Does anyone need wounds tended to while we have time?"

Black Socks
2016-09-12, 05:37 PM
Sariel approaches Jenara. "I have no major wounds, having been healed by Master Zeth, but.... I was wondering if I could speak to you in a more private location." She indicates a small clearing nearby.

Antilles123
2016-09-12, 05:52 PM
Vengar starts trudging groggily forward as a wave of exhaustion overtakes him. Slipping on the muddy, sodden grass, he plunges face first into a muddy puddle and lies there for a few seconds, before pushing himself up to his knees.

He splutters, spitting out globs of mud and looking back at his companions. We're in the middle of a storm and everyone is just standing around chit chatting. I'll never make it back to the inn for that warm meal tonight.

daze413
2016-09-12, 07:15 PM
Brelard forms a quick reply to Zeth: "No, I was selfish. I wanted to seek my fate here, if I had told Victor about the region, ae never would have come here. I was drawn to this place, like a moth to the flame."]

Brelard let his head hang even lower as the rain really starts pouring. He remains silent throughout the remainder of the trek and instead focuses on not tiring himself out.

Fishybugs
2016-09-12, 08:19 PM
Jenara glances at the cloudy, rain-filled sky and pulls her cloak tighter around her. "Unless it's a rather pressing matter, Sariel, I'd really rather get to the treeline...or preferably the cabin, and be much less wet and cold." She looks inquisitively at the Eladrin, awaiting her reply.

Pope Scarface
2016-09-12, 09:59 PM
The wind and the rain intensifies, interrupting any conversation as the howling of the storm makes it hard to hear, and the driving rain nearly blinding you as you press onward. In the distance you think you see the silhouette of a building and rush towards it. The rain drives down hard, leaving you thoroughly soaked even under your cloaks, and flailing branches lash about in the wind.

Enduring this and pushing through towards the distance structure, you step out into a calm in the storm. The wind howls behind you, but there is only a light drizzle and the air immediately around the building is still. Gathering yourself briefly, you look at the building, which is no cabin, but a much larger building, a manor house or perhaps an inn. It appears to be two and a half stories tall, and a balcony overlooks the front entrance. The windows are shuttered, and the shutters occasionally move and bang against the windows, although there is no wind....

There is a large double door with large gold (or brass) door knockers in the shape of leopard heads, with stylized feathered wings etched along the rings.

ooc:

I need a Dex save from everyone, and a second Con save, DC 12, from anyone who passed the first one, as you travel about another hour through the forest but the storm intensifies to near-hurricane levels. You have advantage on this Con save because the forest still provides some cover. Anyone failing the Dex save, which is DC 12, takes [roll0] bludgeoning damage, as you are struck by wildly flailing low branches and forest debris picked up by the wind.

Black Socks
2016-09-13, 05:57 AM
Sariel considers for a moment. "I suppose it can wait."
She manages to avoid the flailing branches as they travel.
Upon arriving at the door, she frowns. This looks suspicious. She looks for hidden traps or items.

((Wisdom (Perception) check:
[roll0]))

Pope Scarface
2016-09-13, 06:45 AM
The door seems ominous, but you don't see any traps.

Antilles123
2016-09-13, 07:25 AM
"This door looks ominous."

Vengar readies his shield and longsword, standing beside the closed door.

"Well, we're about to enter the abyss. Who wants to open the door? Or should we knock?"

If nobody moves to open the door, Vengar will knock loudly on the door with his shield, standing with his back against the wall, beside the door.

Black Socks
2016-09-13, 08:05 AM
"I'll do it. I saw no traps, if I get hurt its my own fault."
Sariel turns the handle and opens the door.

miinstrel
2016-09-13, 09:05 AM
Zeth shakes off his cloak as they come under the balcony. "Vengar, that's what the knockers are for!" he jokes as the dragonborn knocks his shield against the heavy wood. "By the by, anyone notice the door's design similarity with the guard kitties we met? Something tells me those displacer beasts were not there by happenstance."

As Sariel reviews the door, Zeth withdraws a small leather case from his pocket and removes his deck of cards. Shuffling them by hand, he draws one and reveals it to the group:
http://images.facade.com/i/t/golden/l/r37.jpg

"There is much to be gained from this place; once this is resolved I think our benefactor will be quite pleased. We should remain aware of how these other planes affect the natural world here... the cards suggest that is the source of the trouble."

Pope Scarface
2016-09-13, 04:44 PM
Vengar's shield thuds against the door, the sound nearly drowned out by the nearby howling winds. There is no answer, and the door creaks slightly as Sariel carefully opens the door. Looking in there is a large room, with several circular tables surrounded by chairs, laid out much like a tavern's common room. To either side there are stairs leading up to a second floor landing. Under the landing on the left is a bar, and under the landing to the right there is a stage area and a fireplace. The wall cross from the entrance doors is floor to ceiling windows, with two glass doors, and a beautiful but overgrown and seemingly untended garden lies beyond it. You can't make out much detail beyond that, but there does appear to be a tree blooming with white flowers in the middle of the garden, and you can make out a wall on the far side of the garden; the inn seems to surround the garden.

There is a small thud and a sound of wood scraping across the ground briefly from the landing to the right. Looking that way instinctively from the sound, you see some wingback chairs and couches and small tables; kind of a lounge area.

Edit - There does not seem to be anyone in the common area but you.

DC 12 Perception:

It sounded like a book being shut and a chair scooting a bit across the floor. Maybe you startled someone, but you don't see them.

DC 16 Perception:

You see a young woman with long white hair in a green dress hiding on one of the chairs, and on the table next to her, a wine glass and half-empty bottle of wine, as well as a book.

miinstrel
2016-09-13, 05:22 PM
Zeth strolls in seeing the place is empty and starts to make his way toward the bar with a pip in his step when the sound draws his attention, whipping his neck around to follow it. Peering into the darkness, his eyes focus on something as he begins to speak in a familiar but courteous tone. "Greetings ma'am, terribly sorry to barge in like this. Some weather we're having today, eh?" he opens casually, holding the door for the others. "Zeth, soul seer extraordinaire at your service," he adds, doffing his cap with his other hand and giving a slight bow of his head. "I do hope you don't mind if my companions and I join you for a bit until this storm blows over, we thought the place may be empty. We're wonderful company, well except perhaps for the gnome. A bit of a braggart that one," he teases. "Do you run this establishment?"

Zeth's companions hear his voice in their minds. "It's just an old woman."

Antilles123
2016-09-13, 05:33 PM
Hearing Zeth's voice in his mind, Vengar sheathes his sword and walks slowly into the room, the floorboards creaking from his heavy frame.

I don't trust anything here any more, but no sense alarming the lady

As Vengar moves to stand next to Zeth, he mimes doffing his imaginary hat to the young woman and says "A pleasure to meet you my lady.", letting the rich baritone of his fine voice seep through...just a little.

That wine would be delicious right about now.

Black Socks
2016-09-13, 05:41 PM
Sariel stays in the back, keeping an eye out for danger.

((With 10 Charisma, I think it would be better if I left the social stuff to you guys.))

Pope Scarface
2016-09-13, 06:29 PM
The young woman peeks around the side of the large wingback chair she was sitting in and hiding behind. Once you get a better look at her, her beauty is stunning. Her long curly white hair falls across her face as she leans around the side of the chair. Her face seems flushed as she looks over the party, warily at first, but when her gaze falls on the dragonborn, it lingers there for longer than is polite.

Insight DC 5

It is rather obvious to anyone with eyes that she is smitten with the dragonborn. Maybe it was his deep baritone voice, his fine clothes, or general statuesque appearance.

She rises up from the chair, straightening out her dress, an emerald green slip that matches her eyes. Her curly white hair falls most of the way down her back, and she nervously twirls a strand of it with one hand as she speaks. She is barefoot, and stands just over five feet tall.

"Um, hello? Pleased to meet all of you... the weather does get crazy sometimes. I'm Angelica. Would you like something to drink?"

For those of you paying attention to the room rather than the stunning woman in it:

You notice the room shows signs of being empty for a long time. The tables are dusty, although the bar is not. You see the fireplace is not lit, although there is some firewood stacked next to it. There are doors at the far side of the room on each side on the first floor as well as the landings that you would expect lead to hallways with rooms along them.

Black Socks
2016-09-13, 06:46 PM
Sariel is stunned by the young woman's beauty, but comes to her senses after a moment. This could be a trick. Keep a watch for danger. Besides, she obviously has eyes for Vengar she says to herself. She examines the room. Hmmm, I wonder why the bar isn't dusty? Combined with that glass of wine, do we have an alcoholic ghost?

miinstrel
2016-09-13, 07:29 PM
Zeth raises a provocative eyebrow at Vengar, speaking to his mind. "She's all yours, my friend!"

"A drink would be lovely, Angelica; thank you for the hospitality. But we've burst in on you when you weren't expecting company. I would hate to put you through the trouble when you were curled up so nicely with your book. Please relax! We will be happy to serve ourselves, that is if it's alright by the lady of the house?" gesturing to her for approval.

"Vengar, you're probably exhausted from stumbling through the muck in all that heavy armor," he says, laying it on a bit thick. He gives Vengar a nudge (and a smirk) toward a chair at the table nearest the lounge area as he makes his way toward the bar, beckoning Sariel to join him. "Why don't you sit down as well. I forget, are you an ale or a wine type of gentleman? Sariel, perhaps you can help me with some cups?"

Pope Scarface
2016-09-13, 07:56 PM
"Oh, it is no trouble at all. We rarely get company anymore," she says, standing at the railing of the second floor landing. "I do hope wine is ok. I don't know if we have any ale left."

daze413
2016-09-13, 09:30 PM
"We?" Brelard notes, he had been silent the whole trip, guilt-ridden as Vengar's words weigh down on him in the remainder of the journey. "There's more people here, m'lady?" he asks, eyeing her intently and paying no attention to whatever else is in the room.

"I'm sorry to ask but we were told that this cabin was vacated. Imagine our surprise when we found the opposite."

Fishybugs
2016-09-13, 10:02 PM
Jenara stands a wary guard, hand on her longsword, holy symbol out, keeping an eye out around the cabin.

Antilles123
2016-09-13, 11:57 PM
Vengar looks a little bemused at Zeth's mental comment.What's he talking about?

"I am, of course, partial to red wine, like Angelica here. What a beautiful name, by the way...Angelica"

Subtly, he brushes his hand across his scaled snout, trying to dislodge anything that may have settled there from the storm. Why does she keep looking at me?

As Vengar sits comfortably in the chair offered by Zeth, he starts to feel a little better about the situation. This is more like it...they should be fetching my drinks!
Vengar looks around the room at the artwork on the walls and the wood furnishings, then settles his gaze on the garden outside, waiting for the lady to approach and join him for a drink.

Black Socks
2016-09-14, 06:07 AM
Sariel goes to help Zeth with the cups. As she passes Vengar, she hisses "Have your eyes deserted you? Can you not see that the woman is smitten with you?!"

((Deception to hide the whisper from Angelica:
[roll0]
:smallsigh:))

Pope Scarface
2016-09-14, 07:23 AM
"I am, of course, partial to red wine, like Angelica here. What a beautiful name, by the way...Angelica"

"Thank you," she says, blushing and looking away for a moment. She looks back at Vengar. "And may I ask what name belongs to the handsome figure before me and those of his friends?" she stammers out a bit shyly.

"The tables down there are so dusty. Would you care to join me up here while your friends are getting the drinks?"

"We?" Brelard notes, he had been silent the whole trip, guilt-ridden as Vengar's words weigh down on him in the remainder of the journey. "There's more people here, m'lady?" he asks, eyeing her intently and paying no attention to whatever else is in the room.

"I'm sorry to ask but we were told that this cabin was vacated. Imagine our surprise when we found the opposite."

"Just me, mother, and father... when he is around."

DC 14 Insight

You get the impression when she mentions her father that she is afraid of him, like a long abused child (although she is no longer a child).

Meanwhile at the bar...

Looking over the bar you see several unmarked glass wine bottles with a purple-red wine in them, and several glasses and mugs.

DC [roll0] Perception (or passive perception if sufficient in this case).

You see a severed left hand hiding among the bottles and cups, scuttling spider-like away into the shadows to stay hidden as you approach.

daze413
2016-09-14, 08:51 AM
before anything else, insight check: [roll0] we should really be using passive stuff...

Brelard shifts uneasily and looks to the others expectantly and wondering if the mind messaging was a permanent thing. Are we eventually going to tell her she and her family needs to get out of Lord Victor's property? I don't to have to be the one to break it to her.

Perhaps Vengar could do it?

"I have more questions for you and your family than I can hope to finish with one bottle of wine, m'lady." Brelard says the last word not because he thought she was royalty but out of respect. And a lack of knowledge as tk what to call her. Squatter just doesn't seem appropriate.

"But first, if you don't mind, I'd like to dry my clothes and get nature off my person. We had a long trip." Brelard moves to a suitable corner and flicks his hands, the dirt on his clothes seem to jump away at the gesture. The mud and... a leaf?! all gather into a neat pile as he airs his robes to make sure they are all dry.

Brelard takes his time with the task, hoping someone else would broach hthe subject of their eviction.

Antilles123
2016-09-14, 09:16 AM
Vengar furrows his brow at Sariel's whispered comment. Those Eladrin are jealous types, I guess.

"Why I'm sorry, where are my manners! My name is Vengar and I'm very pleased to make your acquaintance. Of course, you're right these tables are dusty indeed. I'll come up."

As Vengar stands and walks toward the stairs, he continues to speak, introducing his companions by name.
Continuing to walk up the stairs, he softly sings an old folk tune that he learned from his childhood.

"The maiden, so fair, with the white golden hair.
Ne'er to see, such a beauty as she.
Could she be mine, that maiden so fine.
Ne'er could she be, with an old fool like me"

As he finishes the verse, he looks up towards Angelica and reaches the top of the landing just as his last note ends.

What is Brelard doing fidgeting in the corner? And what's taking so long with the drinks?

miinstrel
2016-09-14, 09:30 AM
Zeth pauses and exchanges a glance with Sariel. "Did you see that? On the bar?" He shudders slightly.

One thing at a time. Not wanting to get too close to the dismembered appendage, Zeth holds his open hand forward and summons 5 glasses from the bar with a cantrip (the ones the hand is hiding behind preferably to get a better look), sending one to each of his and Sariel's hands and one to the bar next to him. He then retrieves a bottle the same way, uncorks it, and pours the wine into each glass. Setting the bottle down gently, he Mage hand's the 5th glass and sends it up to Vengar. It floats into the dragonborn's view a few moments after he arrives at the top of the stairs.

Zeth gives the wine a swirl and sniff to see if it's still good given the state of the common room. As he walks back, he asks, "Angelica, have you lived here long? This seems such a remote area to settle in. Are your parents here now as well? We would be delighted to make their acquaintance if they are available."

He delivers a glass to Jenara, adding "Not to alarm you, but there's a dismembered hand walking around the bar," and then ventures toward the fire place and stage to look around. If there are logs in the fire place, he waves his hand across them and starts a small fire to warm the bones and give some friendly ambiance to the room all the while keeping an eye open for other body parts.

Passive perception 17 for other body parts roaming around

What time of day is it?
I presume the hand is from a medium humanoid? Is the flesh intact or rotting? I'll share those details with Jenara when I give her the drink.

Fishybugs
2016-09-14, 10:11 AM
Jenara lets out a small sigh as she looks around the room. Why can't anything ever be easy? Just one thing, Pholtus, please? She takes the cup from Zeth and is about to take a sip when he mentions the disembodied hand. Her hand stops moving toward her mouth and her face contorts into a frown, not an unusual expression for the woman.

Jenara lets out a larger sigh, clasps her holy symbol and mutters a prayer to Pholtus. Her eyes glow a light silvery-gold, and she looks around the room, starting with her own drink.

Cast detect poison and disease.

Black Socks
2016-09-14, 02:14 PM
((Sariel's passive perception is 15, so she sees it.))
Sariel attempts to follow the trail of the hand, keeping her eyes in the hand and her hands near her shortswords. In the meantime, let's see what we can get from this woman.
"Ms. Angelica, I was wondering if you knew the origins of the rumours that this cabin is haunted. I'm sure they're untrue, but would you have any idea as to the origin of such a tale?"

Pope Scarface
2016-09-14, 06:56 PM
"Why I'm sorry, where are my manners! My name is Vengar and I'm very pleased to make your acquaintance. Of course, you're right these tables are dusty indeed. I'll come up."

As Vengar stands and walks toward the stairs, he continues to speak, introducing his companions by name.
Continuing to walk up the stairs, he softly sings an old folk tune that he learned from his childhood.

"The maiden, so fair, with the white golden hair.
Ne'er to see, such a beauty as she.
Could she be mine, that maiden so fine.
Ne'er could she be, with an old fool like me"

As he finishes the verse, he looks up towards Angelica and reaches the top of the landing just as his last note ends.

Angelica hangs on every word, meeting you at the top of the stairs to the landing, where your gaze meets hers and you feel her feelings (love?, lust?) for you wash past you, nearly sinking into your mind as you realize that the beautiful creature before you has charms in more than the metaphorical sense, but focusing on the music of your song distracted you from it.

OOC:
Since countercharm doesn't cost anything, and you were singing, gave you advantage on the save (7 and 14 with the -1). You know she attempted to charm you.

She immediately recoils, covering her face with her hands. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to. You're just so... and I ... and the song was so lovely... and... please don't hate me," she sobs, sinking to the ground.

Insight 14

She seems genuinely distraught.
Insight 20

She seems genuinely distraught, and you get the impression she has some kind of magic ability she hasn't learned to control. Maybe a budding sorceress?

Zeth gives the wine a swirl and sniff to see if it's still good given the state of the common room. As he walks back, he asks, "Angelica, have you lived here long? This seems such a remote area to settle in. Are your parents here now as well? We would be delighted to make their acquaintance if they are available."

He delivers a glass to Jenara, adding "Not to alarm you, but there's a dismembered hand walking around the bar," and then ventures toward the fire place and stage to look around. If there are logs in the fire place, he waves his hand across them and starts a small fire to warm the bones and give some friendly ambiance to the room all the while keeping an eye open for other body parts.

The wine smells a bit on the sweet side. There are no other body parts not attached that you see in the room. Angelica does not reply, current in the midst of above drama. The firewood is oddly not in bad condition, and will light easily enough, although none was in the actual fireplace, but stacked to the side.

Jenara:

There is oddly no poison in the wine. Normally you'd detect the alcohol in wine as a mild poison, but you do not detect even that in this wine.

Fishybugs
2016-09-14, 07:04 PM
Jenara thanks Zeth for the wine, and looks at it with a doubtful frown on her face. "Thanks," she says as she moves closer to Zeth. "I think it best to keep my wits about me." She sniffs the drink and swirls it in the glass prior to setting it on a table, then says in a lower voice. "It doesn't contain poison...but neither does it contain alcohol."

Antilles123
2016-09-14, 07:27 PM
Vengar furrows his brow again, realising that Angelica is genuinely distraught.
Clutching the floating wine glass, he raises it to Zeth downstairs and takes a sip.

He sits down at a table on the landing with his glass, continuing to sip it gently and gesturing for Angelica to do the same.

"Never mind, Angel. It's not the first time someone has tried to charm me...and who wouldn't want to? Sit and tell us about this place. What are you doing out here? And where are your parents?

We were told that this place was deserted, so we are a bit surprised to see you. A pleasant surprise, of course. Do you always live here or is this some sort of holiday cottage for you?"

Pope Scarface
2016-09-14, 08:28 PM
Those of you specifically keeping an eye on the hand, or passive perception of 15:

The hand crawls out of the cubby under the bar and scurries up the wall to the underside of the landing above the bar, then scuttles along the ceiling and around to the landing above the bar, then to the ceiling of the room, scurrying across towards the landing above the stage and the fireplace, towards where Angelica and Vengar are.

Sword of Warning:
The sword does not register the hand as a threat, so you are not alerted to its presence.

If you drink more than a small sip of the wine:
You regain 1 hit point, and no longer feel hungry, if you were hungry.

Angelica sniffles and wipes at the tears in her eyes adorably, before standing awkwardly back to her feet and sitting in one of the wingback chairs. She takes a sip of the wine offered to her. "Mother's room is upstairs. She doesn't like visitors," she says softly. "I've lived here my whole life."

daze413
2016-09-14, 08:39 PM
Brelard looks around and makes sure no one is minding him as he pretends to still be cleaning himself off. Once he's sure no one- especially Angelica is looking at him, he casts See Invisibility on himself and paces around the room, pretending to admire the paintings and othe decor as the others chat.

I regain a 1st level spell slot which I used to cast Mage Armor on myself before the game began.

Also, perception, if needed: [roll0]

Antilles123
2016-09-14, 08:58 PM
"Are you sure we couldn't meet your mother, Angelica?

I know Zeth and Brelard would be extremely interested in having a chat. They have learned some amazing facts about this area which I'm sure would be of interest to her.

Besides, I don't want to get into trouble, talking to a beautiful woman such as yourself in her own house, without introducing myself properly to the household. I'm not one to take liberties like that."

[roll0]

Pope Scarface
2016-09-14, 09:42 PM
Brelard looks around, but sees no invisible creatures. The primary feature of the room seems to be the floor to ceiling windows looking into the garden. Even in its somewhat wild and untended state, it is still quite pretty, with a small tree with beautiful white flowers in bloom, which seems to be surrounded by a small moat in the center of the garden.

"I suppose I could introduce you, if that is what you want to do, but I don't want her to send you away, and I just know she will," Angelica says sorrowfully.

Antilles123
2016-09-14, 10:39 PM
Vengar pauses to think for a moment, once again furrowing his brow. His brow has been furrowed a lot lately.

"You know, I don't think anybody has ever wanted to send me away after meeting me. How fascinating if that were the case! To be honest, I could sit and gaze into your beautiful eyes all day."

He sighs. "Alas, my companions are very keen to meet her, so would you be kind enough to bring her down to the landing for us? They can discuss whatever boring topics they like while we can continue to get to know each other."

Vengar takes another sip of his wine. Delicious...but I'm not sure there's any alcohol in this. He sighs again.

Black Socks
2016-09-15, 06:06 AM
Seeing her companions all drinking, Sariel assumes the alcohol is safe and takes a drink. She's still monitoring the hand.

Pope Scarface
2016-09-15, 06:31 AM
The hand has scurried over the landing where Vengar and Angelica are talking, and has scurried over to a corner.

Angelica blushes at the compliment and laughs, and says "Ok, I will go talk to mother. Don't go anywhere." She stands up and walks to the door on the second landing, looking back and smiling at Vengar as she opens the door before going through. You briefly see a hallway with several doors on either side. She closes the door behind her.

Antilles123
2016-09-15, 07:36 AM
Vengar pulls a short piece of copper wire from his belt pouch and whispers into it, pointing to Brelard in the room below.

"What's the plan now?"

Vengar casts Message

miinstrel
2016-09-15, 08:32 AM
Stacking the wood under the flue, Zeth gets the fire going before returning to the common area and heading back to the garden windows, opening the door, and stepping out into the cool night air. Sipping at his glass on the way, he finds the wine much too weak for his taste and downs it in a large gulp before leaving the empty glass on the bar as he passes. One hand fidgets in his pocket, considering asking the cards for guidance on what to do next.

I presume there are other windows/doors to the central garden. Are there any lights or other signs of activity in the house visible from where I am? Percep: [roll0]

Black Socks
2016-09-15, 09:00 AM
((Typing from a phone so I can't do dice rolls or colors))
Sariel takes advantage of Angelica's absence to inform Vengar of the hand in the corner.

daze413
2016-09-15, 09:23 AM
"I... don't know." Brelard replies to Vengar's message. "We have to tell them to leave at some point. Wait, I want to try something"

Even as Brelard forms the words in his head, he flicks his hand and a small flash of light coalesces on his outstretched hand, forming into a tiny spider.

"Wibbs, tail the girl." the gnome tells the spider which raises its front legs at Brelard. Brelard pets it and tells it: "hurry."

Brelard then closes his own eyes and sits down on a chair next to Sariel. Tippy-toeing to reach the regular human height chair.

i'll try and see through the Eye of the Spider. If needed, I can use Prestidigitation to open the door a tiiiny crack just to let the spider through, then close it again with th same spell before using an Action to see through his eyes.

Also, can I overhear the hand in the corner conversation? I wanna be all like- what?

Also also, i dont get the whole phone cant roll thing, Ive been using mobile since the stsrt of this adventure :D

Fishybugs
2016-09-15, 03:19 PM
Jenara continues just looking around the cabin. Something seems off. Why can't I figure it out? A family in a cabin...alcohol-free wine....disembodied hand...what is this? She doesn't touch anything, but examines items in detail where they are.

She reaches for her holy symbol and mutters a small prayer, "Pholtus shed some light on what's going on in this strange place."

Cast Guidance. Perception: [roll0]
Insight with Guidance: [roll1] plus [roll2]

Antilles123
2016-09-15, 05:15 PM
Vengar relaxes in his chair, leaning back to look up at the corner of the room that Sariel was talking about. What in the seven hells?

He does his best to remain composed, changing the position of his chair so that he can keep tabs on the hand. Then he waits until Angelica returns.

Pope Scarface
2016-09-15, 05:52 PM
Zeth:
You step out into the garden, and looking around you see that there are many windows facing into the garden, and it looks like the first floor rooms facing the garden have doors that open into it as well. You don't see any lights, making it actually somewhat dark at the moment.

Brelard: You can overhear the comment about the hand before you pass your senses into your familiar, which scurries under the door.

Eye of the Spider

The girl walks down a hallway with several rooms on either side, before stopping in front of a door at the far side of the hall. Based on the placement of the doors, you would guess it is one of the nicer rooms in the place, on the side of the hall that would face into the garden.

She pauses in front of the door for a minute or two before you hear a woman's voice speaking: "Are you going to stand there all night, child, or come in?"

The door opens, and you see an inhumanly beautiful woman with long curly red hair that falls down her back almost to the floor, wearing what looks to be a black leather corset over a red blouse with a long red skirt that stops just above the ankles. She looks maybe in her late twenties or early thirties. She is barefoot as well, and from the perspective of the spider, you get a wonderful view of both of their perfectly formed naked feet. After a few moments of looking at her, you notice she is not entirely there; you can see through her.

"H-Hello Momma. There are some people here who want to talk to you," Angelica says, looking down at her feet dejectedly.

Jenara:
You swear for just a moment you hear a faint heartbeat in the distance.

Vengar: Moving the chair you notice a book on the table, next to a now mostly empty bottle of wine.

daze413
2016-09-15, 11:28 PM
Brelard starts at the mention of a hand in the bar, "what-" he wanted to see it for himself but his spider was scurrying off under the door already.

"Oh god, feet. Try to hide a little, Wibbs. That gap in the walls looks loke a nice place." Brelard telepathically tells the spider while maintaining the connection. "Let's listen a bit more. Sit tight."

"Her mother's pretty." the gnome says to the group, eyes closed as if in a seance. "Though a bit pale and translucent for my taste. Vengar might like her." he smirks a little at Vengar's expense.

Again, more questions than answers. Oh that it would not always be so.

Antilles123
2016-09-16, 12:07 AM
While he waits, Vengar picks up the book from the table and examines it.

What is the title? Do I understand the language? I can read Common and Draconic.

Antilles123
2016-09-16, 03:25 AM
"Her mother's pretty." [/B][/COLOR]the gnome says to the group, eyes closed as if in a seance. "Though a bit pale and translucent for my taste. Vengar might like her." he smirks a little at Vengar's expense.

Upon hearing Brelard's comment, Vengar swirls the remaining wine around his glass, then deftly tosses the contents over the railing at the Gnome.

I will assume no proficiency for this attack
[roll0]

Pope Scarface
2016-09-16, 08:36 AM
Brelard

... you see an inhumanly beautiful woman with long curly red hair that falls down her back almost to the floor, wearing what looks to be a black leather corset over a red blouse with a long red skirt that stops just above the ankles. She looks maybe in her late twenties or early thirties. She is barefoot as well, and from the perspective of the spider, you get a wonderful view of both of their perfectly formed naked feet. After a few moments of looking at her, you notice she is not entirely there; you can see through her.

"H-Hello Momma. There are some people here who want to talk to you," Angelica says, looking down at her feet dejectedly. "Please don't send them away Momma, I never have anyone to talk to," she pleads. The other woman scoffs "I'm sure talking is what is really on your mind." Her hand brushes past Angelica comfortingly but passes through her hair without disturbing it as she continues. "I understand child. You are young, and your flowers are in bloom. Passion stirs within your heart, but mortals will deceive you, and the rare few who will not are too weak to protect you. I do this to protect you, out of love. Someday you will understand."

"Please Momma, I'm so lonely," Angelica pleads. *at this point you feel something cold and wet across your chest.*

Vengar:
You pick up the book and flip through it. It is written in Common, and there are a few passages that have the corners folded in.
The book contains a collection of erotic poetry.....

miinstrel
2016-09-16, 09:24 AM
Coming back inside and shutting the door behind him, Zeth calls to the main room, "There must be something better than that juice lying around. I'm going to check the cellar behind the bar while we wait for our hostess." He proceeds to the hatch in the floor and gives it a good tug. Assuming no fetid stenches or skeletons rush up at him he will venture below in search of better drink... and more secrets.

daze413
2016-09-16, 09:32 AM
Just before the wine bath

To those observing the Gnome in his trance-like state, his face contorts in quick emotions. First, of an appalled and disturbed brow-furrow; second, of a blushing nod of understanding like someone who has just heard a rather dirty joke; then his cheeks flush red for a long moment as he listens intently. Vengar, you lucky son of a-

Just after the wine bath

Brelard start awake and looks at Vengar and says, [Gnomish]"Pi'kon" it's a common saying when someone get's angry at a light-hearted joke. "I wouldn't be so angry if you heard what I heard." he begins teasing his Dragonborn friend, but then recaps everything he has heard in the room.

"This is some haunted house..." he could only say. "just to be clear, though, we're all aligned... that this some sort of trick?"

Pope Scarface
2016-09-16, 09:36 AM
It takes a few good tugs to get the cellar door to open, as the wood has swollen stuck. You manage to get it loose, and it does not swing open, but instead pulls out from the floor, leaving a hole with a ladder into a cellar below. You set the door to the side (you didn't break it, it seems designed to be pulled out for cellar access). A waft of not entirely pleasant stale air comes out from the cellar, a kind of moldy and earthy smell.

Black Socks
2016-09-16, 09:42 AM
"Definitely a trick. I suggest we do not fire the metaphorical first shot, though."
Sariel removes a small piece of food from her rations and throws it near the hand, to see what happens.

miinstrel
2016-09-16, 09:59 AM
"Agreed, Sariel," Zeth hollers from behind the bar over the sounds of scraping and creaking wood. "Ugh, this thing hasn't been opened in ages... hopefully none of the bottles have turned."

A brief thought of animated undead grape vines popped into his head, and he made a mental note to flesh that idea out more later. Could be a great villain for a show. Maybe Vengar could sing it? No, he was too stocky to play grape vines. Maybe an elf...
He descends the ladder into the stagnant chamber.

Investigation: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

Generally looking for good wine, but also poking around for anything else interesting that may be tucked away down here. How large is the cellar?

Pope Scarface
2016-09-16, 10:24 AM
Zeth:
You climb down the ladder into a small cellar, perhaps 10' x 12'. There are some wooden boxes and barrels that make the space seem even smaller. You look around for a few minutes and don't find any wine, but you do see a small keg marked with a brand you recognize: Clickspinners Special Brew (a high-end gnomish ale; you could sell this keg for 100 gold). There is mold growing over most of the other stuff down here.

Brelard:

A few minutes after Zeth disappears into the cellar, you see a small winged invisible creature fly out of the cellar. You immediately recognize the tiny red scaled creature with batlike wings and a scorpion-like tail from your studies as an imp (one of the least of the Devils). It flies over to the door on the first floor near the bar.
[roll0] (if that is 12 or higher, it turns into a spider and scurries under the door before you can react).

Sariel:
The hand scurries up to the food and flicks the food back to you, before hopping up onto the back of one of the chairs.

miinstrel
2016-09-16, 10:31 AM
Who keeps a cellar with no wine? Zeth disappointedly muses. Oh well, maybe Brelard will be excited about this at least.
He moves the keg over to the ladder and, with some difficulty, hoists it up to the floor above. When he peaks over the bar again, he calls out in a sing-songy voice, "Oh Breeeelaaaard, I found a relic of your people! You should probably hang on to this for safe keeping, at least until we get back into town." He leaves the keg on the floor behind the bar (courteously of course, at Brelard's viewing height) and replaces the cellar hatch.

Black Socks
2016-09-16, 02:37 PM
Sariel tilts her head in curiosity. She decides to see if the hand is sentient. She calls softly "Mr. Hand, if you can understand me, please tap three times."

Pope Scarface
2016-09-16, 02:50 PM
The hand lifts one finger and brings it down three times on the armrest of the chair. *tap... tap... tap...*

Black Socks
2016-09-16, 03:11 PM
Sariel takes the pen and paper that Zeth hands her and gives it to the hand.
"Please tell me how you came to be."

Fishybugs
2016-09-16, 03:20 PM
Jenara watches Sariel interacting with the hand. Interesting idea.

Pope Scarface
2016-09-16, 03:32 PM
The hand takes the paper and quill and attempts to scratch something clumsily onto the paper, but seems to get frustrated and flicks the quill off the table.

You make out a few legible words. Soul. Grove. Torn. Devil.
You piece together a couple phrases. Soul torn apart. Grove Destroyed. Beware the Devil.

You get the impression that whatever spirit that animates this hand is not left handed.

Black Socks
2016-09-16, 03:40 PM
Sariel cannot make out any words on the paper. "Jenara, Zeth, Brelard, could you please see if any of you can discern what the hand wrote?"
She turns to the hand.
"Do Angelica and her family mean us harm, Mr. Hand? If yes, tap once. If no, tap twice. If you don't know, tap three times."

Pope Scarface
2016-09-16, 03:41 PM
The hand drums it fingers on the table a few times as if thinking, then taps three times on the table.

Fishybugs
2016-09-16, 03:44 PM
Jenara looks at the paper handed to her.

She looks quizzically at the paper, then rotates it 180 degrees, thinking it must be upside down. "I don't think this is written in Common or Elven..." She passes the paper on to the others, hoping they can make heads or tails of it.

miinstrel
2016-09-16, 04:01 PM
Zeth comes around the side of the bar to have a look, bringing another bottle of... whatever this is with him to re-fill his glass.

Investigation: [roll0] / [roll1]

I ask the hand a few questions throughout this post... he'll pause and wait for any yes/no/idk tapping that might occur (where applicable) before proceeding.

"I think it is Common just..." he looks perplexedly at the paper and then at the hand. "Well it must be hard to write while trying to balance on two fingers, right?"

"Seal... no, Soul. Soul, Grav-- GrOve... Torn... Devil... I can't make out the rest." He looks at the hand again. "What's a Soul Grove? Does that mean a graveyard? The devil part makes some sense at least with the planar combobulation Brelard was explaining to us earlier. Are there devils at work here?"

Zeth sets the bottle and his glass down on the table near them and sits, taking out his cards again. He mutters a few words over them, the candles and fire flicker and dim, and an eerie calm settles around Zeth as his golden eyes take on a reddish hue. He flips three cards onto the table in a theatrical manner and explains the meaning of the hand's message.

http://images.facade.com/i/t/rider_waite/r/r17.jpg http://images.facade.com/i/t/rider_waite/r/r27.jpg http://images.facade.com/i/t/rider_waite/r/r/r54.jpg

"There was a great catastrophe at this grove. An abrupt change. Mr. Hand was forced to confront something unknown... perhaps his present form? Perhaps a devil? He feels very saddened by what occurred. Grief overwhelms him as does regret at his inability to stop it. He feels he... made the wrong choice? What choice was that, Mr. Hand?"
Speaking directly to the appendage he adds, "You are restless. At disharmony with yourself. You feel you've deserted an ongoing struggle for peace. This is a temporary state for now, but it could be come permanent if you do not take matters into your own hands. A lack of vigilance could lead to disaster striking again."

As he finishes the brief reading, the lights return to their normal strength, and he sits back in the chair as though weary.

Pope Scarface
2016-09-16, 04:27 PM
It makes a chopping motion, and as it does so, you notice its movements are not really affected normally by gravity; it kind of floats up slightly to make the motion. After the chopping motion, it stands straight up on its wrist, and falls over sharply to one side. It then mimes drawing a star shape, and makes a fist which it slams on the table twice.

daze413
2016-09-16, 07:20 PM
"Devil!" Brelard jumps up from the chair and reaches into his pocket for his arcane focus. Brelard points toward the invisible imp as it turns into a spider. It tries to scurry off under the door, "Oh no you don't!" he exclaims and begins to chant, bringing out his crystal:

"Di'ma leemut ang un'ang tilao..." as his Magic Missile spell fails and the spider scuttles under the door, he shakes his arcane focus wondering what's wrong when he realizes it was The Luckstone he was wielding. His eyes close in serene acceptance, this is all part of The Plan.

"An imp flew off and it came from that cellar." Brelard explains, he walks into the cellar with Zeth and casts Light on his Arcane Focus to see better.

"I'll have to check that note later." He says as he walks past the group walking with the hand. So many things to do. So busy. Just like back home.

Pope Scarface
2016-09-16, 07:41 PM
Brelard goes down into the cellar to give it a closer look, stepping past the keg of fine gnomish ale on the way.

Carefully inspecting the room, you notice some odd scratch marks on one of the kegs, and fiddling with it you realize it is not a keg, but a secret door.

miinstrel
2016-09-16, 10:05 PM
Zeth feigns being taken aback. "Well now that's rude... I can't help my heritage!" he jokes... until the comment about the imp surfaces and clarity crosses his face.

As Brelard heads below he mocks, "I already looked around, nothing really of value except this keg I pulled out just for you. And you walked right past it... some people just don't appreciate thoughtfulness."

Antilles123
2016-09-17, 12:04 AM
"What the hell is going on here?", Vengar says loudly to the group. He's already onto his third piece of erotic poetry and wishes Angelica would come back.

"What devil? I can't see anything." He stays seated, trying to look relaxed, while the hand does its chopping and writing.

He rests his hand on his longsword, waiting for any signs that there are hostile creatures in the vicinity.

daze413
2016-09-17, 02:51 AM
Brelard looks about the cellar with the Light spell on his Arcane Crystal, trying to see if there are any more imps. After seeing none, he ignores the jests and shouts from out of the cellar, and gleams the light on the secret door.

Brelard remains silent about the find, rationalizing that his companions were also busy. I'll get this open before going to them, there's nothing to report with just a closed secret door, right? The door piques his curiosity and he becomes obsessed with opening it. Squinting and feeling, he tries to see if it's not trapped first before trying to figure out how to open it.

Perception, if needed: [roll0]
Investigation, if needed: [roll1]

Pope Scarface
2016-09-17, 09:56 AM
Brelard

You check the passageway, and you find a few faded runes around the doorway, but can tell they have lost their potency and are no longer active. You quietly pull open the barrel, and your light spills down a short tunnel, maybe 7' long and 4' high. You see on the other side of it what looks like an altar of some kind, and the bottom of a painting is visible from here, that looks to be hanging above the altar, as well as the corner of a small chest. You'd guess from here the small shrine area is probably about 10'x10', and has no visible occupants (which since you can see invisible and ethereal creatures right now means there are likely no occupants).

The Lounge

While Brelard is poking about in the cellar, a ghostly figure passes through the door Angelica left through. She is impossibly beautiful with long curly red hair nearly reaching the ground, and is wearing a black corset over a red blouse and skirt that falls to just above her ankles. Her bare feet make no sound as they walk across the floor. "So you are the visitors my daughter has told me about?" she inquires. "I hate to send you back out into the storm, but this place is not safe for mortals to stay the night. My name is Cordelia, and I must ask that you leave this place. Immediately," she says calmly, but firmly.

You can tell that she is just putting a veneer of courtesy over the animosity towards visitors Angelica warned you about, but you sense she is being genuine about this place being dangerous for mortals, and that she is not talking about just herself.

miinstrel
2016-09-17, 12:24 PM
"A pleasure to make your acquaintance ma'am," Zeth says, a bit startled by her appearance as he cleans up his cards. Angelica has a physical form, so why doesn't the mom? Perhaps the Soul Grove the hand mentioned involved the parents as well... "I do apologize for barging in like this unannounced, but our arrival is no mere coincidence of the storm. As you surely know, there are planar phenomena happening around these grounds with much larger implications than a threat to our own well-being. Our wizard has studied them in depth and believes this house to be at the epicenter.

We do not wish to overstay our welcome, but surely there is a peaceable solution here that benefits both of us. Have you had any trouble with... other beings in recent years? If you could simply help us understand what is happening here we can be on our way home that much sooner.

For example, can you tell us what the imp did to your Grove?"

Persuasion: [roll0] / [roll1]
Deception in case you want it: [roll2] / [roll3]

Fishybugs
2016-09-17, 12:48 PM
Jenara steps closer to Zeth, hand on her sword, watching Cordelia's reaction closely.

Pope Scarface
2016-09-17, 12:54 PM
The ghostly figure waits for Zeth to finish speaking, her gaze moving to each of you, studying you, her gaze unnerving, as if she is looking not at you, but into you somehow. After Zeth speaks his piece, she responds. "You have no welcome to overstay, and there is no benefit you can offer to me greater than the threat your presence has created. It was mortal adventurers such as you that brought evil to my grove, and I will not allow you to do to my daughter what your kind did to me. Now leave."

As she speaks, you hear the door crack open slightly, and you can see Angelica peeking into the room.

The hand is difficult to read, with no facial expressions or body language, but it seems agitated.

You think the hand is prepared to defend the ghost. How it would do so, you are unsure.

Black Socks
2016-09-17, 03:46 PM
From Sariel's point of view, a fight is pretty much inevitable. She decides to try to see if any information can be gotten out of Cordelia before battle breaks out.
"Why, certainly, we shall leave. Would you mind telling us a bit more about the threat, so that we may better keep others away from this cabin? You understand, of course, that if we can inform others about the evil here, you will not be bothered again."

((Taking a wild shot on Deception:
[roll0]))

Antilles123
2016-09-17, 06:40 PM
Vengar stands up, hand resting on the hilt of his sword as he waits for the ghost's answer to Sariel's final question. He's been in a lot of fights before. It's pretty obvious this is going to get nasty the way the conversation is going. I wonder where Angelica is?

daze413
2016-09-17, 07:49 PM
Smiling with glee at the discover, Brelard fights the strong urge to venture further. Just a peek, he promises himself, then I can report back. He takes a single step forward, body shaking in excitement and the lust for knowledge, when he remembers Wibbs and his companions.

He mutters a curse under his breath as his conscience overtakes the desire for knowledge. He stops in his tracks and instead, he closes his eyes and focuses on his familiar whom he had instructed to follow the one named Angelica...

miinstrel
2016-09-17, 11:27 PM
Zeth holds up a hand, "Hold on, Cordelia. I completely understand the need to protect your family and cannot articulate the regret I have for not doing so for mine," his eyes glisten momentarily in the flickering fire light, "But we are not the mortals that ruined your grove or your life and implying we are as irresponsible and foolhardy as they is both as insulting and speciest as I have encountered. However old you may be, you used to be one of us even if you have forgotten as much." He takes a heavy breath gathering his thoughts for the second tirade.

"Do you know another devil is loose on the grounds of your inn as we speak? We saw him fly, invisibly, down the hall near the bar mere moments ago. Now we are perfectly capable and willing to deal with this for you if you are able to give a shred of faith in the mortal races." He gives a brief glance to the door shielding Angelica before returning his powerful gaze to the ghost. "Think of your daughter's future. Think of what this devil, or any number of others who may spill into this realm from the Seven Hells, could do to her future. Do you want her to succumb to your fate?" He asks challengingly. If his hair or horns could bristle, they would. There is a ferocity in his gaze that threatens to bore a hole in the translucent woman.

Persuasion [roll0] / [roll1]
Deception [roll2] / [roll3]

daze413
2016-09-17, 11:59 PM
Brelard focuses on his spider familiar, just to check in on his little friend, Wibbs. He frowns at their luck on reaching this place. Vengeful spirits and shady half-breeds, Mr. Victor overpaid for this house, there is no doubt. Growing increasingly annoyed at the events, he returns to his sense and his ears pick up the voices of renewed conversation upstairs. It was different from the tone when the gnome delved down the cellar. This is not a conversation with the silent dismembered hand, there was another participant, her voice is familiar and new.

Brelard climbed back up the ladder and peaked out of the latch, slowly, carefully, he tried to stay hidden under the bar.

stealth: [roll0]

Pope Scarface
2016-09-18, 12:23 AM
Lounge:
"Why, certainly, we shall leave. Would you mind telling us a bit more about the threat, so that we may better keep others away from this cabin? You understand, of course, that if we can inform others about the evil here, you will not be bothered again."

"The only threat right now is your presence here," she says cooly. "At this moment, you are preparing to try to destroy me. I have not threatened you. I have asked you to leave my home and daughter and be on your way, yet hands are on sword hilts."

Brelard:
You focus back on Wibbs, and as your senses shift, you hear Angelica pleading once again "... aren't always gentle, and I have never been able to feel your love." she says, reaching out to her mother's hand, as her hand passes through. "I need to feel the touch of another living person Momma."

The ghostly figure replies "Even if we could trust them, which we can't, your father would not allow them to stay. We need to send them away or he will awaken and kill them all."

"But Momma please -" Angelica pleads, but her mother cuts her off. "Enough child. If they stay they will be killed. Do you want your love to die?"

"No momma," she replies, wiping away tears. "But I can't leave, and nobody can stay. I can't bear to be alone forever," she cries, throwing herself onto the bed and begins weeping and sobbing uncontrollably. There is a sadness in the eyes of the mother as she reaches out, then turns away. "I am sorry my child, but there is nothing else we can do," she says, as she floats through the door.

A few minutes later, Angelica composes herself and follows, peaking through the doorway at your companions having a growingly heated discussion.

Lounge, cont.:

"There is nothing in this place that is a threat to me or my daughter but you. There is only death here for unwelcome guests," she says, turning back towards the door. She turns back as she nears the door "Remain here at your peril, for if you stay here, you will certainly die. If you threaten me or my daughter, it will be at my hand."

At this point, Brelard begins making his way out of the cellar.

Antilles123
2016-09-18, 02:35 AM
Lounge:
"The only threat right now is your presence here," she says cooly. "At this moment, you are preparing to try to destroy me. I have not threatened you. I have asked you to leave my home and daughter and be on your way, yet hands are on sword hilts."

"Nonsense my dear lady. I used to be in the military - we rest our hand on the hilt of our swords when in the presence of senior ranking officers or nobility. It is a sign of respect, to show that we are ready for action when necessary. If you would permit us to stay and look around, we would like to complete our research of this area. Then we'll be on our way. We'd be much obliged."

Vengar stands upright, with his feet together, keeping his hand on the hilt of his sword.

Persuasion: [roll0] or [roll1] (exhaustion)
OR
Deception: [roll2] or [roll3] (exhaustion)

daze413
2016-09-18, 08:50 AM
"Zeth? Zeth, pick up..." Brelard thinks as loud as he can, he shakes his head as he imagines how stupid he sounds ot himself. I'll never understand his powers, so... alien.

"Agh! Dear Lady Mystara, a little louder next time, thank you." he thinks aloud as the voice of Zeth fills his unquiet mind. "Listen, I'm hiding under the bar and I don't want to give up an advantageous position if this does turn ugly."

"It's apparent these 'squatters' won't leave, Cordelia mentioned something about a Father awakening and I found a secret tunnel in the cellar that leads to a small shrine, I'm sure there's more there but I heard increasingly aggressive exchange of words upstairs so I came up here. Also, I have a theory about this place and it's crazier than my original one but I'll tell you guys after we deal with Ghost lady." Brelard tried to dump as much information as he could to Zeth, if he were speaking the words, he'd be panting and out of breath. "Oh, and that lady Angelica? She's really really really really really really really really..."

"Horny... Sorry... I'm just so excited! So many mysteries!"

miinstrel
2016-09-18, 08:53 AM
Zeth makes no indication of having heard Brelard and does not respond, but rather remains focused on Cordelia until she decides to leave or attack, hoping Vengar's final plea reaches her.

Black Socks
2016-09-18, 01:13 PM
Sariel nods. Looks like it's going to be a fight.
"I understand. In that case, I wish you and your daughter a pleasant evening."
She keeps her hand close to her shortswords, anticipating that Cordelia will son attack.

Pope Scarface
2016-09-18, 08:42 PM
"Nonsense my dear lady. I used to be in the military - we rest our hand on the hilt of our swords when in the presence of senior ranking officers or nobility. It is a sign of respect, to show that we are ready for action when necessary. If you would permit us to stay and look around, we would like to complete our research of this area. Then we'll be on our way. We'd be much obliged."

Vengar stands upright, with his feet together, keeping his hand on the hilt of his sword.

"I have made it clear you are unwelcome here," she says angrily. "Yet you ask again for permission that has already been denied, while your hand rests on the hilt of your weapon," she continues, resting one hand against the wall. "Allow me to be perfectly clear," she says, and the door slams shut. "This is my home. It was made from my bones. You are not welcome here, and you will go no further without proving yourself to be the villains I know you to be." With those words, she passes through the wall and out of sight.

I rolled a 10 initiative check for Cordelia to see if you would be able to interrupt her, so her action with the door and movement through the wall occur before you can interrupt, as the party initiative is 10 currently due to members who are currently exhausted.

You hear doors closing and locks latching from all the doors leading further into the building from the common room when the one door closes.

You hear doors throughout the entire building all closing and locks latching.

Antilles123
2016-09-18, 09:08 PM
"Guys", Vengar whispers to his colleagues. "I think she's really starting to warm up to me."

Fishybugs
2016-09-18, 09:48 PM
"Soooo....Victor is gonna be pissed," Jenara says to the others in the room in a stage whisper. "I don't know who he bought this place from, but he should see if he can either get his money back or get a circle of priests to put this woman to rest."

daze413
2016-09-18, 10:22 PM
"Victor should get his money back and track down whoever sold him this property and have him judged as a scoundrel and a swindler." Brelard emerges from the bar, patting off any dust that has accumulated on his knees and hands.

"But about the circle of priests, I think it is far more interesting if we played that part. We are already here." Brelard wonders at the strange way Cordelia left the room, she didn't even try to drive them out. There was something wrong...

[roll0]

Brelard looks around at the sounds and shakes his head, "at any rate, if we aren't being thrown out. Yet. I found an interesting little secret tunnel down the hatch under the bar. Might be worth looking into, if you don't mind". Brelard tried to hide the excitement in his voice at the thoight of exploring the secret tunnel.

Pope Scarface
2016-09-19, 06:28 AM
Victor said something about having inherited the property.

Cordelia was holding back from attacking you for some reason. You can't put your finger on why. Maybe she didn't think she could take you.

You remember how smitten Angelica was with Vengar, and there was s subtle note of sadness in the ghost's voice. You suspect she did not attack you because she did not want to make her daughter cry.

Black Socks
2016-09-19, 06:28 AM
Sariel inclines her head and listens carefully, despite her tiredness.
"Locks are closing and doors latching. I gather that Mrs. Cordelia is attempting to impede our progress through the building. Shall we rest here, than? I could certainly make good use of a rest...."

((OOC: I propose we take a long rest here. Most of us have exhaustion, it's night, and the doors are barred.))

Antilles123
2016-09-19, 06:37 AM
"You know honestly, I don't have the faintest clue what's going on. I'm so tired. I agree, let's rest."

Vengar sinks back down into the plush chair on the landing.

daze413
2016-09-19, 07:03 AM
"We seriously aren't resting here, right?" Brelard tries to open the door leading outside.

Pope Scarface
2016-09-19, 07:06 AM
You open the door without difficulty, and see the storm outside. It is relatively calm for a hundred feet or so beyond the door.

daze413
2016-09-19, 07:37 AM
Brelard closes the door again and fixes the robes swept up by the wind. The gnome looks around and sees his miserable exhausted companions, "You know, I got to thinking... Ever since I pointed out that Imp, something just didn't make sense about this place." he begins as he sits on a stool and tilts back and forth, like a child. "I know I said that this region converged on the Abyss and the Feywild, but the more I think about it, the more possibilities I mentally eliminated. So then I saw the secret tunnel, and it hit me! The flames I saw in my vision wasn't the chaos of the Abyss, but the fires of the nine hells!" Brelard smiles at his discovery. "It's neither better nor worse." he concedes.

"Oh, and before I forget... It's apparent these 'squatters' won't leave, wait, didn't Victor say something about inheriting this... palace? Wait wait, let me think a bit..." he goes silent for a few seconds and goes on, "Did he really say he paid for this property? I don't recall. He may have inherited this- OH!" he gasps, "last time we were in his office, I saw a will on his table. I couldn't get a very good look at it but that must be it. Victor inherited this mansion... but that would mean Victor could be related to these ghosts somehow."

"Cordelia mentioned something about a Father awakening... Oh, and that lady Angelica? She's really really... Horny." Brelard winks at Vengar. "Despite that, I still don't think we should rest here."

miinstrel
2016-09-19, 08:54 AM
"I thought I was the horny one," Zeth jests in self-deprecation.
"I have to agree with Brelard on this one... who knows what manner of nasty tricks might befall us with an imp and an angry ghost floating about." He looks around the house nervously. "Though I can't say I much care for sleeping in the rain either... maybe Mr. Hand would be kind enough to show us to a room we could sleep in with only one door to keep an eye on at least?" He says turning hopefully to the animate appendage.

Fishybugs
2016-09-19, 11:28 AM
Jenara responds to Brelard's teasing of Vengar, "Probably because of that, we shouldn't stay here. I imagine any...dalliance...would only make our problems worse. I remember being a teenage girl, and it got me into my fair share of troubles." Jenara pauses a few moments, thinking of times in the past, then continues addressing Brelard, "I don't suppose you can conjure one of those magical shelters for us to rest in?"

Pope Scarface
2016-09-19, 05:26 PM
The hand points in the direction of the bar. You are not sure if he means the cellar or the kitchen.

Antilles123
2016-09-19, 05:26 PM
"Well, maybe reducing Angelica's stress levels is exactly what we need to help cleanse this house. Think of it as a community service. And if I happen to die through the night, what a way to go!"

Vengar can't help but try to lighten the mood amongst his somber companions. He would do anything for them, but damn, they could be hard work sometimes. All this talk of portents and prophecies and nine hells makes his head hurt.

Vengar takes out his bedroll and walks down the stairs to the large entry chamber. "I can sleep down here. If Angelica visits me during the night, that's a bonus."

Black Socks
2016-09-19, 05:52 PM
Sariel can't help but give a small smile.
"But, isn't she a ghost? She is incorporeal, how would she become intimate with you? Will one of us get possessed in the night by her?
Now, then, the watch. I shall take one shift, as I require only four hours of trancing, but who shall take the second?"

Fishybugs
2016-09-19, 05:58 PM
Jenara nods in agreement with Sariel. "I can't say I'm completely convinced the hand is looking out for our best interest. Pointing us down to rest in the spot Brelard believes if the path to the nine hells? Uh huh. No."

daze413
2016-09-19, 06:02 PM
Jenara responds to Brelard's teasing of Vengar, "Probably because of that, we shouldn't stay here. I imagine any...dalliance...would only make our problems worse. I remember being a teenage girl, and it got me into my fair share of troubles." Jenara pauses a few moments, thinking of times in the past,
Brelard shifts uncomfortably and eyes Jenara in a different light, now, imagining her acting like Angelica. He clears his throat and responds.

"I don't suppose you can conjure one of those magical shelters for us to rest in?"

"I'm slapping myself for not learning Leomund's Tiny Hut. First thing I do when I get back is to scribe that spell with Victor's money. There is an alternative: that secret tunnel I found below." Brelard gets up and opens the hatch from under the bar and peers beneath.

"But, isn't she a ghost? She is incorporeal, how would she become intimate with you? Will one of us get possessed in the night by her?
Now, then, the watch. I shall take one shift, as I require only four hours of trancing, but who shall take the second?"
"See, there's another mystery. I can See Invisibility and she doesn't seem to be Ethereal. She may just be a mortal human... Just another mystery. I wonder where she is."

If the coast is clear in the cellar, Brelard invites the party to sleep there instead of here.

Pope Scarface
2016-09-19, 06:05 PM
Posting this in the IC thread so it won't be missed:

Angelica did not in any way appear to be incorporeal, and physically interacted with multiple objects in your presence.

Pope Scarface
2016-09-19, 06:12 PM
You aren't sure if the cellar is clear, as your exploration of it was interrupted. It would be pretty cramped with the five of you resting there though (especially if there were any 'extra company').

miinstrel
2016-09-19, 06:42 PM
"I'll take the other shift... don't imagine I'll be sleeping much tonight anyway. Can we at least settle in somewhere vaguely hovel-like, maybe by the fire?"
Zeth retrieves the heavy, leathery tome from inside his tunic, licks a thumb, and flips through the pages finally settling on the one he wants. He sits cross-legged on the ground by the fire with the book laid out before him and begins working through the text. A spell slowly begins taking shape around the fireplace area.

I'll take first watch so I can get the Alarm ritual in place. Audible alarm. All PCs + Mr. Hand are named so they won't trigger it.

Black Socks
2016-09-19, 06:49 PM
((Sariel referring to Angelica as a ghost was meant to be indicative of her assuming that Angelica was undead. I suppose I should have specified that.))
"Sounds good."
Sariel sits down and crosses her legs in a 'crisscross applesauce' position.
"Shall we settle in for the night, then?"

daze413
2016-09-19, 08:44 PM
"Sure..." Brelard says, trying to hide his disappointment as he closes the hatch leading underground. "I suppose I can stay up for the first shift as well. I want to check on something. He sits near Sariel and closes his eyes to concentrate on Wibbs who is still following the girl, Angelica. "Just a peek, Wibbs then you can rest."

"Hey, I've been thinking..." Brelard says, as he looks up briefly from his spellbook he had beem studying. " Isn't it odd Cordelia didn't attack us? It must have something to do with Angelica's feelings for Vengar. Perhaps there is a little humanity in her left. Perhaps we can use that."

Pope Scarface
2016-09-19, 09:05 PM
Brelard

Your senses focus back onto your familiar Wibbs. You see Angelica in a room. It looks like it is on the first floor, as you can see the garden through the window (you would have a wonderful view of the tree from this room if it were not so dark from being nighttime and overcast). Angelica is changing into a night gown from the dress she was wearing before, then gets into her bed (a very nice four poster queen sized bed; this suite is very nice and would likely run 2 or 3 gold per night), and lays there curled up under the covers, occasionally crying into her pillow.

Everybody

As my IRL DM is fond of saying, and as seems especially appropriate given the way this run of the adventure is going: "You pass the night unmolested, unless you choose to molest yourselves."

Feel free to RP any side conversations you would like through the night, but unless someone chooses to wander from the common area, nothing threatens you during the night.

However, I do need everyone to roll a Wisdom Save DC 14 as you sleep (if you trance, you are exempt).

You sleep through the night, but your dreams are unpleasant ones. (no mechanical effect)
You are not able to gain restful sleep, as your dreams are tormented by nightmares. If you are currently exhausted, you do not recover your exhaustion. If you are not currently exhausted, you gain a level of exhaustion.
The dreams you have are disturbing (unless you trance; then ignore the rest of this stuff), whether they prevent your from sleeping or not. You may not remember the details depending on your Insight.

You remember being torn apart repeatedly in the dream.
You remember something precious being torn away from you, over and over.
You also remember demonic creatures were tearing you apart, and the leader was sometimes a leopard with griffon-like wings, and sometimes a beautiful naked man with the same catlike eyes.
You also remember the figure tearing it from you is a beautiful naked man with catlike eyes escorted by demonic creatures, that sometimes changes into a leopard with griffon like wings.

You recognize this figure in the dream as one of the great princes of hell, Prince Bitru. It is said this devil has power over love and lust, commands sixty legions of devils, and can make people bare themselves before him.

Black Socks
2016-09-20, 05:58 AM
"Hey, I've been thinking..." Brelard says, as he looks up briefly from his spellbook he had beem studying. " Isn't it odd Cordelia didn't attack us? It must have something to do with Angelica's feelings for Vengar. Perhaps there is a little humanity in her left. Perhaps we can use that."
"Yes. I sense that Cordelia truly does love Angelica, and thinks she is protecting her, while Angelica thinks Cordelia is restricting her freedom. In other words, a typical teenage mother-daughter relationship."

Antilles123
2016-09-20, 08:12 AM
Vengar folds up his old military company banner, using it as his pillow as he does every night.
His companions awake during the first shift notice him twitching restlessly while he sleeps.

By the time the second shift comes, he wakes with a start, leaves his bedroll and joins Zeth on watch.
Vengar doesn't say anything, simply staying awake to prevent himself from needing to sleep again.

miinstrel
2016-09-20, 08:52 AM
Zeth tosses and turns. Though he scored the spot nearest the fire, his dreams left him in a cold sweat on a few occasions. Nightmares were nothing new to him, but these were different. Where once there was darkness, horror, and confusion; now there were devils, griffons, and what came very close to unbidden sexy time. This place was haunted alright.

He had no trouble staying awake for his shift for fear of falling back into the clutches of the manor's subconscious revelries. He exchanges a knowing glance with Vengar as he awakens. They sit and watch as dawn slowly creeps through the windows.

Fishybugs
2016-09-20, 09:13 AM
Jenara wakes after a night's sleep. She looks around with a frown. "Nobody woke me for my watch?" She packs up her bedroll and breaks out some rations. "Who is hungry?"

As she heats up some of the food, she reflects upon the interesting dreams, wondering if Angelica's desires were rubbing off on her or if it meant something more.

daze413
2016-09-20, 10:17 AM
Brelard bid good night to Sariel after conversing through the se ond watch, though careful not to wake the others. When it was his time to sleep, he recites the incantations for tomorrow's spells, as he did, almost every night. A littany, a prayer to the goddess of luck to carry him and his companions the next day.

His sleep was disturbing, filled with vivid nightmares. But tamper too much with Divination Magicks and those kinds of dreams become the norm. This dream, however, felt different. A devil haunted this one.

As Brelard awoke, he sat up squatting for a while and blinked for several minutes, trying to remember the incantations but not having enough energy to recite them out loud. He turns to Jenara's offered food and holds out his hand, "Thank you, Jenara."

He solemnly watches his exhausted companions, Vengar and Zeth don't look very good, he notes. "So you dreamt of him too? Bitru... prince of lust. The lord of one of the layers of the nine hells." the gnome finishes his breakfast cold and listens to his companions converse before summoning Wibbs to his hand and asking him to check on Angelica... for... reasons...

Fishybugs
2016-09-20, 11:01 AM
Jenara is calmly preparing and eating the morning meal when Brelard mentions Bitru. She stops with the next bite of food halfway to her face and stares straight ahead. So not a dream. Some stupid demon playing in my mind. She finishes her meal then sits quietly in meditation, commuing with Pholtus.

Black Socks
2016-09-20, 04:06 PM
Sariel's dreams were not affected by Bitru, but they certainly had some lust! :smallredface:
Anyways....

"Does anyone happen to have some berries?"
If not, she will remove a set of rations from her pouch.

((I should have taken some berries while we were going through the forest! Gaah!))

miinstrel
2016-09-20, 04:30 PM
Zeth waves a hand and Sariel's rations taste like a variety of fresh berries. "It's the only way I get through mornings on the road. I'm having scotch eggs and fried steak over here," he says holding up a bowl of cold porridge and a sliver of salted pork. "It's weird to get past the texture inconsistencies at first but you get used to it."
A teapot hanging over the fire begins to whistle, and he levitates it over to himself, pouring a cup before offering it to others.

"Sex devils, eh? I suppose there are worse versions... that's probably who the shrine you mentioned is dedicated to then? Guess we should start there after breakfast seeing as it's the only unlocked way forward for now," he says to Brelard.

Black Socks
2016-09-20, 05:22 PM
"I appreciate the gesture, but that's not what they were intended for. Through her divine grace, the Elmmother has blessed me with the power to bestow healing properties on berries. Perhaps I should go back out into the woods to get some?"

((Translation: Sariel knows the Goodberry spell.))

daze413
2016-09-20, 05:47 PM
"I am not familiar with Nature magic but I do know magic, in general. Don't you carry a component pouch or a focus or some sort of holy symbol, like Clerics do?" Brelard says, trying to keep Sariel from separating, although he himself separated yesterday.

At Zeth's suggestion, "I agree, we should look there first." Brelard says as he stands up after the meal. He then gestures with his hands in a spell, mutters some enchantments aa his form is covered in arcane energy that seem to converge and tighten around his body then disappears. "I might also be able to point out Angelica when Wibbs reaches her. I'll give it a few minutes."

Cast Mage Armor.

Black Socks
2016-09-20, 06:30 PM
((Ok, I've reread Goodberry, and it turns out the berries actually appear in your hands. I thought you converted ordinary berries to magic ones.))

"Good point."
Sariel removes a small sprig of mistletoe from her component pouch.
"Oh beautiful Elmmother, whose loving touch brings the world joy...."
Green mist flows from Sariel's outstretched palm and she closes her eyes as she continues chanting.
"Please bring Your divine grace and bless a humble servant with a few magical berries."
A glow of light forms in her hand.
"And may Your holy caress endure forevermore."
The light fades. Sitting in her palm are ten berries, faintly glowing.

((Thought you had to roll 1d10, but apparently you can choose how many berries to make.))

Pope Scarface
2016-09-20, 07:33 PM
After a few minutes, Wibbs has found Angelica.

Wibbs is on the branch of a tree with white flowers. You see a dress and a towel neatly folded and resting against the side of the tree, and Angelica bathing in the moat that surrounds it. Once you are done noticing... other things, you notice the weather outside seems to have improved.It is still overcast, but some sunlight makes it through the clouds, and the heavy wind and rain has stopped, or perhaps passed by in the night.

Sariel: As you cast the goodberry spell, you realize the wine you had last night tasted very much like goodberries.

daze413
2016-09-20, 07:46 PM
alright, let's try this perspective thing out. At the risk of a tpk.

"Vengar, Angelica is outside by the tree with white flowers. She looks like she needs someone. She might not like it if all of us go and you seem to be the one she likes the most so you should go to her, alone. We will go outside and you can call us if you need us." Brelard says to Vengar. Eyes still closed. "Poor girl... "

[roll0]
this is my deception check. If I lose, Brelard cracks a mischievous smile.

Fishybugs
2016-09-20, 08:25 PM
Jenara packs up her stuff and looks around the house for something that may be used in place of thieves' tools.

Oh you've got to be kidding me. There are probably 15 sets within sight and she just can't find any. Not even the framed sete above the fire place.

Pope Scarface
2016-09-20, 08:50 PM
You figure if two of you picked up that couch, you could make your way through a few doors before the structural integrity of the couch gave way.

-Edit: You would have disadvantage, but you can attempt to pick most locks with improvised tools (dagger, spoon from mess kit, hairpin, etc.).

-Edit: Insight 18
You pick up a mischievous and slightly lewd undertone to Brelard's suggestion.

Antilles123
2016-09-20, 11:40 PM
alright, let's try this perspective thing out. At the risk of a tpk.

"Vengar, Angelica is outside by the tree with white flowers. She looks like she needs someone. She might not like it if all of us go and you seem to be the one she likes the most so you should go to her, alone. We will go outside and you can call us if you need us." Brelard says to Vengar. Eyes still closed. "Poor girl... "

"I'm pretty tired. I'm not as charming as usual. I'll do my best", Vengar says with a wink.
He opens the door and heads outside to where Angelica is supposed to be, humming a soft tune to himself as he goes.

Am I seducing her? Or am I just using her to clear out this cabin? Are my companions just using me to get to her?

Pope Scarface
2016-09-21, 06:29 AM
Vengar:

You find the glass doors into the garden are not locked, and they open into a wild but still lovely garden, with the small amount of sunlight peeking through the clouds after the recent storm. The flowers and hedges seem almost by design to provide secluded areas within the garden, although you wonder how secluded they can really be when there are windows facing into the garden from all directions. In the center of the garden you see a small tree, perhaps ten or twelve feet in height, covered in pretty white flowers. You do not see Angelica anywhere, so you approach the tree in the middle of the garden. As you approach, you see what appears to be a moat around the tree, about five or six feet wide, and deep enough that you can't see the bottom from the shore.

You hear sounds of someone in the water on the other side of the tree, and see a dress and a towel neatly folded next to it....

Antilles123
2016-09-21, 10:33 AM
Vengar sings a little louder as he approaches the tree, to draw attention to his presence.

"I gave my love a chicken, it had no bones..." he sings, in a blissful baritone.

Although this seems like a stupid song, it happens to be wildly popular among many folk in this realm.

Vengar peers around the tree trunk which was previously blocking his view, fairly certain that it is going to be Angelica.
What's the harm? I'll satisfy her loneliness for a short while. The smart ones can solve all the puzzles. I'll play my part here.

If it is Angelica in the water, he feels a rush of warmth through his body as his excitement increases. He gauges her reaction, then starts to unbuckle his armour and kick off his boots as he looks to shed his clothes as quickly as possible, without looking like he's rushing the process.

What a nightmare taking off armour in this situation!

daze413
2016-09-21, 11:29 AM
"I will be right behind you, Vengar." Brelard says solemnly as he steps out to the garden behind Vengar. He remains a distance away, enough to not really see but to react if anything shady happens.

"I feel sorry for using him like this. Should I really feel sorry? At least he seems to be enjoying it." He says to himself (or his companions if they decide to follow as well)

Black Socks
2016-09-21, 03:44 PM
Sariel followed, worried that this might turn ugly.
Although she hasn't seen any ugly sights yet! :smallredface:
She giggles to herself, like some immature seventy-year-old.
"Well, he does seem to be enjoying himself. And besides, it's for the good of the mission."

miinstrel
2016-09-21, 04:16 PM
Zeth follows along as well out of amusement more than anything else. When Vengar starts stripping down he ponders, "You know, I've always wondered how far down the scales go..."
He keeps an eye on the second story windows to see if he can spy Cordelia or anyone else watching the scene unfold (passive percep 17).

Fishybugs
2016-09-21, 04:50 PM
Jenara was never a bashful one, but she had no desire to see a dragonborn trying to mate with a human. She pauses for a moment to wonder if that made her bigoted, decided against it, and moved into the kitchen. She goes through the cabinets and drawers, grabbing a few items which may fit into a lock or between the door and the jamb. She heads down the hall to where Cordelia's room is and tries the door. Finding it locked, she attempts to finagle it open.

Dex check: [roll0]

Darn Jena for being so low DEX. No wonder she wasn't a very good thief.

EDIT: And thank the Gygax gods for making it a dice game.

"Hello? Anyone home? I'd like to chat...see what we can do to help."

Pope Scarface
2016-09-21, 06:44 PM
Vengar and Voyeurs:

Vengar circles the edge of the moat surrounding the tree, singing a pleasant tune. He sees Angelica in the water of the moat, and she smiles as he approaches. "You stayed," she whispers, and then her face becomes flush with excitement as Vengar begins to disrobe, her eyes watching him hungrily until he joins her in the cool waters of the moat. She swims over to him and gives him a passionate embrace. As things begin to proceed, she suddenly pushes him away (or tries to), and says breathily "we have to get out of the wa-."

Before she can finish her warning, Vengar feels the water in the moat constrict around him, and he is pulled down to the bottom in a moment. You can all hear Angelica scream "He's not attacking me! Let him go!" [Vengar takes [roll0] bludgeoning damage, and begins to drown]. This strange watery form continues to constrict around Vengar, but he manages to keep it from harming him although still pulled to the bottom of the moat.

The creature in the moat took its surprise action. It won initiative, but failed on its next attack. Vengar is prone and restrained at the bottom of the moat, and with a constitution modifier of 1, he has 1 turn to get some air, as he is considered to be choking. Our friendly voyeurs are 30 feet away, 10 feet of which is difficult terrain.

You see Cordelia on the other side of a second story window.

Jenara: You find the door that Cordelia came through is simple enough to unlock, and see a hallway with doors along either side. As you walk down the hallway, wondering which door to knock on, you hear Angelica scream.

Fishybugs
2016-09-21, 07:01 PM
Jenara is walking down the second story hallway when she hears the scream from outside. She rushes into the closest door and finds it locked. She moves to the next door and it is also locked. She hears splashing and yelling coming from outside now. She looks around, then steps back, a determined look sets onto her face. She crashes into the door shoulder first, splinters flying from the jamb into the room. A brief inspection of the room shows she did not disturb anyone. In fact, there is nothing of note in her quick survey. She runs across the room and jumps out the window, glass shards flying into the air and making their way to the ground with her.

Acrobatics to see if I land on my feet: [roll0]
and [roll1] falling damage

EDIT: Okay, ouch.

Jena hits the ground harder than she had planned, but rolls and comes up on her feet.

Pope Scarface
2016-09-21, 07:04 PM
Every door she tries is locked. Trying (but failing) to find an open door I am going to say uses 15 feet of movement and your free "Interact with object" action for the turn.

Black Socks
2016-09-21, 07:18 PM
((With difficult terrain Sariel can only run 20 feet))

Sariel runs toward Angelica.
"I heard screaming! What's going on?"
She scans the area for other threats.

((Passive perception is 15 so she sees Cordelia, perception check to see other threats: [roll0]))

miinstrel
2016-09-21, 07:27 PM
Zeth is right behind Sariel, ready for action and looking around for his bardic buddy.

Also moving 20 feet, ready action to EB any hostile creature that presents itself.

Attacks: [roll0] / [roll1]
Damages: [roll2] / [roll3]
Crit: [roll4]

daze413
2016-09-21, 09:21 PM
"It's the water! There's some sort of creature in it, and it's drowning Vengar." Brelard moves to a spot that he can see Vengar and Angelica better, not necessarily to get closer, but a vabtage point where he can see the creature attacking him.

He begins incanting, and three wisps of white arcane missiles emerge from his fingertips and shoots toward the creature. "I'm sorry, Vengar. This is my fault. I bring ruin everywhere." Brelard mutters almost to himself.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Antilles123
2016-09-21, 11:50 PM
Vengar lies trapped at the bottom of the moat. This is the worst relationship I've been in.
Collecting his strength for a short moment, he roars and struggles against his invisible assailant, sinew and muscle popping as he desperately fights for his life.

Somehow, Vengar instinctively knows when to make his move. As the pressure releases for a split second on one of his arms, he takes the opportunity to punch free.

Vengar will use the portent roll to escape if he is able.

Pope Scarface
2016-09-22, 05:22 AM
Bolts of magic sizzle through the water near Vengar, briefly revealing the outline of some serpentine watery form. More blasts of energy follow, missing their mark. Vengar uses the distraction of the magical assault to break free, crawling up onto the shore of the moat (I am assuming on the outside shore where he laid his gear).

Torn between a concern for the object of her affection and a sudden interest in modesty at the approach of his friends, Angelica remains in the water, and swims over towards Vengar. "I am sorry my love," she says "In the heat of the moment, I forgot about the guardian."

Whatever the creature was, it does not attack Angelica, and the water returns to its previous calm.

Now that you see them at the same time, you observe that Angelica's hair is the same color as the flowers on this tree.

Antilles123
2016-09-22, 07:46 AM
Vengar stands naked on the bank of the moat, arms held out wide as he spins in a slow circle. He notices some of his friends taking a sly look. "Take a good look, companions. One show only!"

The scales go all the way down, covering his whole body. Although you do notice that the scales near his nether regions are finer and more like snake skin. As for his genitals, they are remarkably like that of a human. He is respectable in that department, but not overly ridiculous.

Vengar slowly dons his clothing, armour and weapons once again, speaking to Angelica as he buttons up his tunic. "Angelica. I do have feelings for you and I wish this could continue. However."

(Pause)

"I cannot ignore this assault. If we are to be together at all, this has to stop. We shan't such as touch each other again until the situation is resolved. I'm not a serious man, but I can only take so many slights on my honour before I need to react."

Vengar walks back toward his companions. "Angelica, it is best that you stay away from me for at least a short while. Leave us to our work, and if you still want to see me when this is all over, I look forward to it."

daze413
2016-09-22, 09:37 AM
As Vengar approaches again, showing an unnatural coldness toward Angelica, Brelard flinches for just a moment after seeing his friend in such a mood. "Sorry, Vengar. I... didn't mean to hurt you. I just thought you could get friendlier with Angelica, maybe she could be the key to this mystery." Brelard left out the vision he had seen of Vengar bursting out of a beautiful pool with Angelica by his side. It had looked so peaceful in his portent, so innocent. This place warps the visions into... half-lies. Or have I lost my touch? The gnome retreats into his thoughts and seems distracted, disturbed by the vision he had just witnessed, and remains uncharacteristically silent for a time.

Perception Roll. I really don't see why we need to roll to see if the hair matches the flowers but alright. [roll0]

Also, I, the player, would like to Detect Magic on the tree. But seeing as how Brelard would be distracted, perhaps someone could suggest to Brelard in his absent-minded and concerned state.

Antilles123
2016-09-22, 05:08 PM
Vengar reaches Brelard, clasps his shoulder and gets down on one knee to meet him at eye level.

"We go back a way, Brelard, and I'm proud to name you one of my closest friends. I know it was kind of like a game to you, watching me try to pursue Angelica. Torm knows, you've seen me do that a thousand times at various unsavoury establishments around the towns."

Vengar pauses, as he tries to find the words to make his point. "This time it was different, you know? I felt some kind of...responsibility....for how it all turned out with her. I'm not in love with her, but I just wanted it to be...right. She deserves that, I think."

"I know we joke around to pass the time and to stay sane during the terror that we put ourselves through on these misadventures. But do me a favour, no jokes about this one, OK?"

Vengar stands, patting Brelard on the shoulder, focusing his gaze back on the house. He draws his sword from his scabbard, pointing it in the direction of the cabin in an old military salute. "Now, let's go clean this house from top to bottom."

Fishybugs
2016-09-22, 05:36 PM
Jenara appears just as Vengar is walking up from the pool. "Clear the house?" She looks back to the house, the shattered window evident from this side. "One room is done. Nothing there. Come here, Vengar, let me heal you up a bit." As she approaches Vengar, she clasps the silver sun and moon hanging around her neck. Someone who looks closely can see a silver aura with flecks of gold around her other hand. As Jenara rests her hand upon Vengar's shoulder, the energy flows from her hand into his body. The bruises fade away, returning his scales to their natural color.

Cast Cure Wounds at second level. [roll0]

Black Socks
2016-09-22, 05:51 PM
((Italics= Thoughts))

Dontstaredontstaredontstare
Sariel shakes her head to clear her mind, like a dog drying off. She smiles grimly before leaving Vengar and Brelard to their conversation. She turns toward the house.
"Let's do some housecleaning."

((YEAOWWW!!!!))

Antilles123
2016-09-22, 05:52 PM
"My thanks, Jen, sometimes I forget my wounds. Been a little distracted, what with the choking and drowning and all."

Completely forgot about the damage I took (though I did record it on my character sheet). Good to see you're paying attention Fishybugs!

Pope Scarface
2016-09-22, 05:57 PM
"This just isn't fair," Angelica pouts, swimming around to the far side of the tree. "If you change your mind, or don't get killed before you finish whatever you are doing, I'm in room 13," she say, climbing up onto the shore. The branches of the tree seem to lower to conceal her from the group as she wraps herself in the towel, picks up her dress, and then steps into the tree, vanishing from sight.

Black Socks
2016-09-22, 06:45 PM
"Now, then, we came here for a reason, and it wasn't to woo people. Shall we go?"
Sariel wonders briefly when she'll get to talk to Jenara privately. Maybe when they settle in for the night.

daze413
2016-09-22, 09:29 PM
"Brelard perks up a little at Vengar's words. He still seems distracted but at least there is a wisp of smile now on the corner of his mouth.

"Right. Shall we go to the cellar with the hidden tunnel was, then?" as he steps toward the house, he glances at the windows trying to find Cordelia and worrying if Vengar's words could prompt her into action. It was already odd she doesn't attack.

Antilles123
2016-09-22, 11:49 PM
"A hidden tunnel sounds splendid. Let's go!"

Pope Scarface
2016-09-23, 07:06 AM
The party gathers around the hatch to the cellar. It is cramped with the five of you.

Map (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WkNbypgUeR14MyeioBq5T9ggCm255T0_17g30JzOggw/edit?usp=sharing) (grey is hindered terrain; first time trying this method).

One of the large barrels has been revealed to be a secret door into a short tunnel, leading into what looks like an altar of some kind. The tunnel is small, and except for the gnome, you'll have to crouch to get through, and it will have to be one at a time.

As you make your way into the room, you see a dusty altar, a small wooden chest behind it, and a painting hanging above it, with a beautiful naked man with cat-like eyes in the foreground, and a multitude of scenes in the background of various erotic acts involving men, women, demons, and beasts. No matter where you stand in the room, the man in the painting's leering eyes seem to be following you, and strange thoughts and images of a disturbing and erotic nature (whatever that would be for you) keep entering your mind unbidden. It is obvious to everyone that these thoughts are not their own; there is some kind of presence here. It is quite... distracting (OOC: Saves to maintain concentration would be at disadvantage in this room, as well as checks involving tasks that require concentration).

The chest is locked, but does not appear to be trapped.
You are confident the chest is not trapped.
You find a ceremonial dagger made of silver, two erotic gold statues, a small box with some kind of incense that may be of monetary value, and small black book with infernal symbols on the cover.

miinstrel
2016-09-23, 08:27 AM
"The grove the hand spoke of... it must have been on this very spot before the manor was built," Zeth says, the pieces of the puzzle fitting together. "Angelica's tree is likely the last of them then. I wonder if whoever built this manor meant it as a fortress or a prison?"

"Brelard, how does one stop the influence of a demon prince on the Prime Material? I'll put money on the answer lying with that imp that escaped."

Reaching inside his tunic, the many amulets and wards around his neck jangle, he finds the one bearing Helm's gauntlet and mutters a small prayer before careful directing a beam of energy at the painting, cutting a large X across it, leaving the pieces dangling from the frame and letting off the soft smell of stirred dust.

Just thought you may want us to select squares for ourselves given that you posted a map... I'll move into the room and step to the top left corner.

daze413
2016-09-23, 08:47 AM
Brelard marvels at the painting. Never has he seen such debauchery and he is confounded by the idea that someone would take the time to paint such a lustful scene.

As he emerges from the tunnel, he notices Zeth about to cast a spell, pointing at the painting. "Wait!" Brelard shouts as he jumps to interrupt Zeth's casting. "Let me... inspect it first. Then we can destroy it."

He clears his throat and opens his spellbook to... the... exact... page... He starts chanting, while taking out a small pearl from his pouch. Brelard touches it against the painting with his hand...

"Ba ng'nakit an'ko neemong galo'lo,"

He begins... struggling to stay focused on his spell...

want to cast Identify on the painting. Rituals require concentration, right? So imma roll here: [roll0] the one is from the luckstone but I don't know what ability it needs...

In case of Disadvantage:[roll1]
If this fails, should I use Luck? What do you guys think?

Black Socks
2016-09-23, 02:45 PM
Why now, of all times, did I have to start thinking about Erevan? Oh.... Erevan.... Gaah! Focus, Sariel. Focus.
"I think it would be best if I stood guard out here."

((With only +1 to Investigation and no proficiency in thieves' tools, there's not much Sariel can do, really.))

Pope Scarface
2016-09-23, 11:53 PM
If it is a magic item or some other magic-imbued object, you learn its properties (1) and how to use them (2), whether it requires attunement to use (2), and how many charges it has, if any (3). You learn whether any spells are affecting the item and what they are (4). If the item was created by a spell, you learn which spell created it (5).

1. The painting contains a small portion of Prince Bitru's power and presence. His influence can be felt throughout any room the painting is in. This will flood the minds of any sexual creatures within the room with erotic thoughts and imagery, which is distracting at first, but can create a confusion-like effect as well. It can also cause someone to strip naked, or call call ghostly demonic hands to appear from the walls, floor, and ceiling to grab and restrain occupants within the room. Mechanically, these are treated as lair actions.

It can also call forth an aspect of Prince Bitru.

If you are attuned to the painting, you are able to call forth an aspect of Prince Bitru. This functions as the cleric class ability Divine Intervention, using your character level as your class level, or allows the user to make a warlock pact with Prince Bitru. You are also able to control the lair actions granted by the painting.

2. In order to attune to this item, which is required to use its lair abilities or call forth an aspect of Prince Bitru, you must rape and murder a virgin human on an altar within the presence of the painting. sacrifice a virgin.

3. It does not use charges.

4. There are no magical effects on the painting beyond its magical nature described above.

5. The painting was created by the Wish spell.

Additionally, the painting itself without magical properties would be appraised at around 2000 gold.

Antilles123
2016-09-24, 12:26 AM
"What did you find about out about the painting?" Vengar says, standing at the entrance of the small room.

"Should we take it off the wall, take a look behind it? At least put it face down maybe..."

You sense that he's had quite enough of erotic adventures for the time being.

daze413
2016-09-24, 02:27 AM
Brelard visually cringes and shift his shoulders uncomfortably during the ritual. His face contorts in a deep frown of disgust and contempt when he opens his eyes.

He looks at Zeth whom he had stopped earlier and nods in ascent, condemning the foul painting to the fate of being on the receiving end of the Warlock's wrath.

"If we find any more of these paintings, the first thing we should do should be to destroy it. Immediately." he says calmly to everyone. He goes on to explain everything he discerned about the painting, leaving out the gruesome method by which to attune to the item, he just couldn't find the heart to put the words in his mouth:

If it is a magic item or some other magic-imbued object, you learn its properties (1) and how to use them (2), whether it requires attunement to use (2), and how many charges it has, if any (3). You learn whether any spells are affecting the item and what they are (4). If the item was created by a spell, you learn which spell created it (5).

1. The painting contains a small portion of Prince Bitru's power and presence. His influence can be felt throughout any room the painting is in. This will flood the minds of any sexual creatures within the room with erotic thoughts and imagery, which is distracting at first, but can create a confusion-like effect as well. It can also cause someone to strip naked, or call call ghostly demonic hands to appear from the walls, floor, and ceiling to grab and restrain occupants within the room. Mechanically, these are treated as lair actions.

It can also call forth an aspect of Prince Bitru.

If you are attuned to the painting, you are able to call forth an aspect of Prince Bitru. This functions as the cleric class ability Divine Intervention, using your character level as your class level, or allows the user to make a warlock pact with Prince Bitru. You are also able to control the lair actions granted by the painting.

3. It does not use charges.

4. There are no magical effects on the painting beyond its magical nature described above.

5. The painting was created by the Wish spell.

Additionally, the painting itself without magical properties would be appraised at around 2000 gold.

"Now, what's this I hear about a grove and the hand being able to talk?"

Black Socks
2016-09-24, 09:52 AM
"The hand can't talk. While we were in the sitting room yesterday, Brelard was exploring the tunnel, and Vengar was with Angelica, we gave the hand a pen and some paper. It couldn't write very well, but we managed to make out a few words...."
Sariel closes her eyes, trying to remember, trying to resist the thoughts intruding her mind, trying not to think of Erevan....
"Something along the lines of: 'Soul. Torn. Grove. Devil.'"

Pope Scarface
2016-09-24, 11:04 AM
As Zeth destroys the painting, there is a release of psychic energy in the area, flooding your mind with an assault of erotic images and thoughts, both of strangers and images from your own mind and surroundings.

I need everyone to make a Charisma Saving Throw, DC 14. If you succeed, you drive out the images with no further effect. Brelard has disadvantage on this save, as he spent ten minutes concentrating on this thing. Sariel is in the next room, and so has advantage on the save. This is a magical effect. If you fail...

You cannot drive the images out of your mind until they run their course over the next minute or so. They flood your mind and you can't take any actions or even speak. It is a really awful experience and the brief moments that pass seems much longer to you.

The images you see are drawn up from your past, not of encounters you have experienced, but people from your past and present that you would never think of in that way, and you can't drive these disturbing images out of your head, so you try to flee from these awful thoughts within you own mind. When you come to your senses, you are in a hallway of the building, curled up in a corner. Then you hear a heartbeat in the distance, followed by a much closer heavy footfall....

Black Socks
2016-09-24, 11:20 AM
Sariel is transfixed for a moment as she remembers that awful day. Waking up... performing the morning ritual... and Erevan... oh, Erevan... and then the terrible noise... and then fear... and hiding... and seeing... everything gone... and finding... finding his body...
Then she blinks and it's gone.
"Companions? Are you well?"

miinstrel
2016-09-24, 11:32 AM
"I don't understand what more you could possibly need to know about this thing. Can't you feel it?" Zeth complains as Brelard steps up to examine the erotic figures. As he mentions the ability to summon an aspect of the devil, Zeth begins to tear the painting apart using his eldritch energy releasing the assault of lust and pain on everyone's minds. His previous visions did not steel him for this though, and he curled over breathing heavily and trying to force them away. Eventually they fade and his vision returns.

"And this is why you don't commune with devils," he adds matter-of-factly with perhaps a hint of irony given his heritage. "Perhaps Angelica has another of these paintings in her room to explain her actions. We should start working on the doo-- where's Jena?"

daze413
2016-09-24, 06:24 PM
hm. I was assuming the painting wouldn't do anything like that because I had learned its magical properties already... :( sorry, guys, I was accustomed to Identify revealing curses and got careless.

Before the identify

"Aren't you just curious? I won't be able to sleep tonight if I don't do it." He half-jokingly says.

Brelard suffered the worst effects, he had become intimate with the painting and even with the touch of the thing, it was all he could do to stave the thoughts away.

Inside Brelard's mind he imagines doing it with his good friend Vengar and he cringes at the thought. He certainly didn't identify as a homosexual but nevertheless, there it was... His mind retreats as the image of Vengar naked by the tree sweeps in.

He shakes the feeling off after what felt an eternity. He frowns deeply, looks at Vengar like he did something wrong when Zeth speaks, "Jenara?" he says, bewildered. He plops on his feet, standing erect once more.

I'd like to try to figure out where she went. Dang, I really wanted to open the chest, too.

Fishybugs
2016-09-24, 07:38 PM
Jenara watches Zeth destroy the painting. The flash of energy rushes out of the painting too quick for Jena to do anything. Images crowd her mind...memories, but none of them feel quite right. After a few moments, she speaks very softly, obviously confused. "Father Bertrant? No. This doesn't feel right. I...." She tries to bring up other images. Her eyes jump to Vengar, and she blushes as she imagines (remembers?) his scales touching her skin. Angelica's light colored skin...

Memories blur together, thoughts rush through her head, and Jenara is unaware of her surroundings until she finally realizes she is in a hallway. What brought her back? She hears something. Something faint at first, but her medical training recognizes it as a heartbeat right away.

As she starts to stand, she hears footsteps and looks around.

Black Socks
2016-09-24, 08:13 PM
Sariel looks around and realizes Jenara is gone.
"Jenara? Where are you? Jenara! We need to find her!
She drops to the floor and starts looking for footprints.

Antilles123
2016-09-24, 08:29 PM
Vengar snaps back to reality with a start and immediately begins to assist Sariel in trying to examine the floor for tracks.

I'd like to take the Help action for Sariel so she gets advantage please.

Pope Scarface
2016-09-25, 12:55 AM
As you return to your senses, you feel an ache in your shoulder. Looking around, you are at the corner intersection of two hallways. You see a broken down door at the far end of one hallway; a likely explanation of the sore shoulder. You can't really tell from here if you are on the first or second floor. As you hear the heavy footfall, you look down the other hallway, and you see a humanoid figure in bloodied and tattered clothing. It has no head nor hands, and the severed stumps and neck drip and ooze blood as it moves ponderously down the hallway. As you see it, the hallway warps and twists in your vision, and the shadows seems to darken and move towards you. You shake off the brief wave of panic before it can set in, and the creature itself has not yet reacted to your presence.

So the monster's initiative was lower, so you got to act first but the lair initiative rolled higher, so it's lair action occurred before your action. You got a 16 Wisdom save against fear, so you were not frightened. It is 40 feet away from you down a hallway.

It is not hard to follow Jenara's trail, as she knocked over chairs and smashed down a doorway to get to where she is, which is on the first floor hallway, through the door across from the stage/fireplace area. Her attention is focused on something out of sight (she is at the corner of the two hallways, looking down the other hallway from the one you are at the end of. She is 50 feet away from you. You can take a round worth of actions, although you don't know for sure that a fight is going on yet.

Fishybugs
2016-09-25, 10:53 AM
Jenara regains her senses in time to see this shambling mess of a person. Just some game Bitru is playing in my head. He'll learn I'm not that weak. Jenara stands and faces the abomination of undeath approaching her. Once more, an obviously well-practiced action, her hand moves to her holy symbol.

"Pholtus , the Blinding Light,
Most glorious Prince of Law and Life,
help us in our fight against the Hells
against the world of darkness,
against the spirits of wickedness"

Channel divinity: Turn Undead. Each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw. (DC15) If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage. If the creature is CR 1/2 or less, it is destroyed.

Black Socks
2016-09-25, 11:59 AM
Upon hearing Jenara's words, Sariel assumes that an enemy is nearby. She runs along the passageway, drawing her longbow and fitting an arrow into it.

((I will move 30 feet towards Jena and Ready a longbow attack. Trigger: If the enemy moves into range.))

daze413
2016-09-25, 05:50 PM
If we move 30 feet towards it, we should be able to see it with Darkvision, correct? unfortunately, Brelard can only move 25. Wait, isn't it morning? There are no windows and it's dark here?

Brelard moves as quickly as his small legs can carry him, he raises his focus and a light then emanates from the crystal, bathing all with radiance.

casting Light spell

Antilles123
2016-09-25, 07:06 PM
Vengar swiftly draws his sword and hurries down the passage after Sariel.

He'll just move 30 feet and see if he can see anything at this point.

miinstrel
2016-09-26, 08:43 AM
This is all my fault. If Cordie got her or something else happened... He pushed back the negative thoughts reaching into his mind as they followed Sariel across the main floor. Zeth breathed a sigh of relief when the heavy outline of Jena appeared down the darkened hallway and then held his breath again as she prepared for battle, rushing down the hallway to support her.

Move 30' feet.
Ready action to EB any hostiles that come into view.

Attack: [roll0] / [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] / [roll3]

Pope Scarface
2016-09-27, 07:02 AM
The creature begins to step forward towards you, but then stops, held at bay by the power of Pholtus. Ghostly hands, demonic claws, and tentacles then manifest around you, grabbing at you. Blasts of eldritch force and a pair of arrows from the other hallway announce the arrival of your allies, and flying through the ghostly hands, but passing through them without effect. You still manage to fend them off before they vanish back into shadow moments later. They were trying to pull your holy symbol from your hands.

As the rest of the group rushes down the hallway, they see Jenara assaulted by shadowy hands, claws, and tentacles. Prepared to strike, Brelard and Sariel let loose their attacks, which hit but to no seeming effect, although Jenara is able to fend them off until they vanish moments later.

Even in the chaos of the combat, you notice the number 13 on one of the rooms in this hallway.

Black Socks
2016-09-27, 04:26 PM
((I love having high passive Perception.))

Sariel sees the number 13 on the door and remembers Angelica's words.
"Ms. Angelica! If you can help us, any aid would be much appreciated!" She shouts.
Reaching into her bag she withdraws a small vial.
"The power of the Elmmother compels you! Back, foul beast!"
She attempts to splash the monster with the holy water.

((Ok, holy water is an improvised weapon, so:
[roll0]
Damage if it hits and the creature is a fiend or undead:
[roll1]
Curses!))

daze413
2016-09-28, 07:00 AM
Brelard frowns at Sariel, "Don't call that woman! She'll just... distract us or something." He peeps his head out of the corner of the 'T' to see what Jenara was so worked up about.

"Ah, undead, this place is getting even more illogical. Devils. Tree-striding women. Ghosts and now Undead." he says as he waves his arms in a cold spell. "This must all connect, somehow. It's a puzzle." he mutters under his breath.

damage for frostbite spell: [roll0]

miinstrel
2016-09-28, 10:04 AM
"Cordelia's the key to all of this, but she won't be of any real help... I wonder if there are some catacombs beneath the keep that may hold some answers? All the good stuff is always underground." He makes a gun with his fingers and fires off a pair of beams at the monstrosity.

Move into view of the creature.

Eldritch blast: [roll0] / [roll1]

Antilles123
2016-09-28, 05:58 PM
"Yeah, let's leave Angelica while we get this all sorted out"

Vengar charges around the corner and slices into the undead creature, alerted to its presence by Brelard's words.

He then shouts to Jenara "Keep going, you've got it on the ropes!" as Sariel's holy water splashes him in the face, hitting everything except the actual creature.

Sword attacks (magic) [roll0] and [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] and [roll3]

Bonus action to give Bardic Inspiration to Jen (+1d8 to attack roll, ability check, AC or Damage rolle)

Pope Scarface
2016-09-29, 07:02 AM
Vengar rushes forward, with blasts of magical energy flying past him striking the creature. Sariel throws a vial of holy water at the creature, which falls short, breaking on the ground in front of it. Vengar slips a bit on the water, not enough to fall, but it throws off his sword swings. One of those would have been a mortal blow if this creature had anything where the head should be.

The creature momentarily frosts over, but there is minimal visible effect from Brelard's spell. [failed save, resists cold, 3 damage] One of Zeth's blasts strikes it squarely in the chest, leaving a small hole that begins to slowly ooze blood.

(1d20)[10] Brelard
(1d20)[20] Sariel
(1d20)[9] Vengar
(1d20)[12] Zeth
(1d20)[15] Jenara

[roll0]

You feel a sudden tightness in your chest. You take [3] necrotic damage.

You are racked with pain as your heart convulses and spasms. You drop whatever you are holding, and cannot take reactions this turn. You take [6] necrotic damage.

The small injuries dealt to the monster heal before your eyes, and it swings at Vengar with the severed stumps of its arms. The creature connects twice, striking Vengar for [roll1] bludgeoning damage (18 to hit), and again for [roll2] (25 to hit).

New Turn

Antilles123
2016-09-29, 07:29 AM
Vengar's knees weaken under the blows that rain down upon him. He staggers and drops his sword on the ground with a clank.

Looking as if a stiff breeze would topple him, he suddenly utters a melodic sentence in Draconic, swinging his arms towards the foe. As his arms whip forward, the air around him shimmers and a loud boom assaults his foe as a wave of force crashes into the headless freak.

Cast 2nd Level Thunderwave, DC 14 Con save.
Damage = [roll0]
If he doesn't save he's pushed 10 feet away.

Vengar uses his interact with an object part of his turn to pick up the sword please.

Fishybugs
2016-09-29, 03:05 PM
Jenara reaches a hand out and touches Vengar, the silvery energy again transferring from her hand into Vengar. She then focuses on the creature and silvery flames, the same color which had just moments ago healed Vengar, forms above the zombie and falls toward him.

First action: Cast cure wounds on Vengar at second level: [roll0]
Second action: Cast sacred flame at the zombie. DEX save or take [roll1] damage.

Antilles123
2016-09-29, 05:39 PM
"My thanks Jenara, you really know how to put the fire back in my belly!"

A rumbling sound emits from Vengar's stomach as he leans forward, his scaled snout pointing directly towards the abomination as his jaws open. A jet of fire ripples in a line across the floor, cutting right through the enemy.

Breathe fire in a 30' line - DC 12 Con save
Damage = [roll0], save for half

miinstrel
2016-09-29, 07:16 PM
Zeth's first shot goes wide as he doubles over in pain. Steadying himself he fires again and strikes true, only to be partially healed a few moments later.
"Jena you have enough friends, no more wandering off to find new ones. What is this hideous thing anyway?"

Eldritch blast [roll0] / [roll1]

Knowledge... Religion? [roll5]

daze413
2016-09-30, 04:30 AM
Brelard grips the wall to his left as he reels from the heart attack. His Arcane crystal falls to the ground and he shakingly kneels to pick it up.

Gripping the Crystal with trembling fingers he stares at it for a moment, what just... the gnome looks around to see his companions in similar pain.

"Deema leemut angu nang'ti lao..." he manages to mutter the See Invisibilty spell between aching breaths. This is no mere heart attack, something is in here with us. "Anee mol kala'mi pir mi'kong gim'ingao."

casting See Invisibility. And if able, Brelard will move out of sight of the zombie after getting a good look at the corridor it's in.

Black Socks
2016-09-30, 05:54 AM
Sariel looses two arrows, moaning in pain softly as her chest tightens.
It's ok. Calm down. It's ok.

((Two longbow attacks:
[roll0]
[roll1]
Damage if they hit:
[roll2]
[roll3]))

Pope Scarface
2016-09-30, 07:09 AM
As the pain subsides, you feel your heart racing, and also hear another heart beating for a moment, somewhere above you.

The creature is thrown back ten feet by a cacophonous blast of thunder [failed save, full damage from thunder]. As it staggers forward again, silvery flames burst around it, searing its flesh [failed save; full damage from radiant]. Another blast of force slams into the creature from Zeth [1 hit, full damage from force].

Brelard casts his spell, and his vision shifts to see what others cannot...

You see what looks like the ghost of a man overlapping the body of the undead creature. The ghostly form is stretched and thin, and looks it has been torn apart over and over again, and not quite ... whole, even for an apparition. There is a hole through the chest that is also just missing from the ghost, although it doesn't look quite like a wound.

He then ducks back around the corner.

Sariel's arrows strike true [2 hits, full damage from piercing].

The creature's wounds begin to heal as it shambles forward. As it moves, the shadows in the room seem to grow darker and reach out towards everyone in the hallway. In your mind's eye, the very building seems to twist and cave in on you, and you feel a fear begin to grip you...

Wisdom DC 15
Brelard is not in range.
(1d20)[3] Sariel fails
(1d20)[16] Vengar passes
(1d20)[15] Zeth passes
(1d20)[3] Jenara fails

The vision passes, leaving you still gripped by fear. You are frightened. You can make another save at the end of your turn until you break the fear.

You shake off the phantasm to no ill effect.

As some of you recoil in fear, the wounds of the creature seem to heal further, and a ghostly hand, wreathed in flame, briefly forms on its right arm. As it reaches out with this hand a sphere of flame manifests and flies toward Jenara [Dex Save (1d20)[4]], striking her for [roll0] fire damage. The flaming sphere remains there [if you end your turn in its space, you take 2d6 fire damage (dex save 15 for half)].

Unhealed damage on creature: 14

New Turn

daze413
2016-09-30, 08:29 AM
"I see it! A ghost of a man overlapping the body. Beware!" Brelard shouts in warning. Squinting through the Flaming Sphere, he points his Arcane Crystal at the ghost and mutters, arcane energy then shoots toward the head of the ghost..

"Move! I don't think we're supposed to win this one. I have an escape plan for when The Plan goes awry and threatens to kill us." Brelard says as he takes some rope and drops it on the ground.

I recovered 1 1st-level spell after casting See Invisibility, which I will use to cast Magic Missile. All three missiles shall target the ghost.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

If the DM is generous, I'd like to use my Free Interaction to drop some rope on the ground.

Black Socks
2016-09-30, 02:21 PM
"Move? Gladly!"
Sariel turns and bolts down the corridor, desperate to get away from the horrific creature.
((I'll move 30 feet and try to break the fear.
[roll0]))

Fishybugs
2016-09-30, 02:35 PM
Jenara is standing bravely holding the creature at bay one moment, and before she even knows what is going on, she is trailing Sariel down the hallway. Holy Pholtus, that creature is scary.

Antilles123
2016-10-02, 06:13 AM
Vengar snorts with disdain as he watches the beast fly back in the wake of his thunderous onslaught.
Hearing his companions sound the retreat, he moves backward, keeping his shield between his friends and the monstrosity as he backs away.

Dodge action + move backward 30 feet

miinstrel
2016-10-03, 09:28 AM
"Aww it was just getting good." Zeth fires off two more beams before retreating with his companions down the hallway.

EB: [roll0] / [roll1]

Move down hallway

Pope Scarface
2016-10-04, 06:51 AM
Streaks of magical energy fly from Brelard's fingertips towards the creature, appearing to miss, but wounds open on the body moments later.

Your magic missile hits the ghostly form, and the injuries that appear also appear on the body.

Sariel flees the creature, still overcome with fear.

Even as you turn the corner, you can just feel its presence. Somehow, it still sees you, you just know it.

Jenara falls back with the group, and manages to shake off the fear after putting some distance between her and it.

Vengar move back carefully, taking up the rear, shield at the ready, as Zeth fires a few parting shots which both strike the creature.

As you have all turned the corner, you no longer see the creature, but you hear its ponderous footsteps approach. Hands, claws, and tendrils of shadow reach out from the air to grab at Sariel, ripping the bow from her hands and tossing it [5] feet back down the hallway, and holding her in place [Str save roll of 3, now restrained] as the ball of fire rolls down the hallway over her body for [10] fire damage [with disadvantage from being restrained, rolled a 1 then an 8 on Dex save].

You can feel it feeding on your fear.

It ignored everyone but Sariel. You suspect it has some kind of ability to sense fear which allowed her to be targeted around the corner.

Unhealed Damage on Creature: Unknown

New Turn

Posted to OOC by mistake.

miinstrel
2016-10-04, 08:56 AM
"Sariel, get yourself together, they're just shadows!" Zeth yells noting the creature's motivations.
We need some distance from this thing... He then whispers, his voice filling the hallway and the creature's mind with terrible pain.
Sariel receives a brief telepathic glimpse of an event some number of moments from now, sensing the monster's movements or intentions.

So is Sariel still behind Vengar and I? Not quite sure where everyone is in the hallway now.

Casting Dissonant Whispers. WIS save DC 14 or take [roll0] psychic damage and must immediately use reaction to move its full speed away from me. Save = half damage and no movement. Deaf creatures auto succeed.

Bonus Action = Bardic inspiration to Sariel (+1d6 to a d20 roll of your choice).

Then move 30 feet back down the hallway

Black Socks
2016-10-04, 04:56 PM
Sariel grits her teeth, struggling against the creature. Summoning courage she attempts to break its horrific grasp.

Fishybugs
2016-10-04, 05:56 PM
Jenara begins to move to Sariel, her hand moving toward her holy symbol when she sees her friend start getting herself together. Good girl, fight him off. She looks around the hallway, then voices to noone in particular, "Any ideas?"

daze413
2016-10-04, 11:24 PM
"I do." Brelard says to Jenara. "I hope you guys can climb." Brelard says as he touches the rope, incanting a spell...

"Da'ku lag'ai manga hay tiirs, da'ku lag'ai... Gam'ai ootiin manga hay'tiirs, gam'ai ootiin..." as he chants this rhythmically, the rope rises and hardens until it finally stops at the ceiling.

"Quick! Over here!" Brelard shouts to the others as he begins to climb.

Antilles123
2016-10-05, 03:21 AM
Vengar looks backwards to his companions and sees the rope climbing upwards.
He's seen Brelard do this before and starts to run toward the rope and climb it.

Athletics check w/disadvantage: [roll0] or [roll1]

Pope Scarface
2016-10-05, 06:32 AM
Everyone makes it up the rope and vanishes from sight. The creature shambles past and continues down the hallway, the flaming sphere continuing to burn for a few more turns before going out.

You seem safe... for the moment.

daze413
2016-10-05, 07:08 AM
Brelard sits down on a spot and starts reading his spellbook. He place is featureless and small but not cramped. "We can rest safely here for the moment, but it'll only be for an hour. By 58 minutes from now, we should start filing out." He says.

"Oh and someone watch the window. Need to keep an eye on what's going on outside." he says, looking up briefly from his reading.

Antilles123
2016-10-05, 07:55 AM
"Ahhh. I must admit, this hidey hole is my favourite trick of yours", Vengar says, relaxing against the invisible wall of the space with his hands behind his head.

"Did that thing jump out at you or was it just wandering the halls?" he asks Jenara.

If we can take a short rest, I'll use some hit dice please.
[roll0] for 3 Hit Dice

Fishybugs
2016-10-05, 09:37 AM
Jenara thinks for a moment. "I...I don't know. I was standing with you guys one moment...and on the floor in the hallway the next. It was walking toward me...I don't know where it came from. I'm sorry."

daze413
2016-10-05, 10:31 AM
Brelard couldn't help but smirk as he sees Vengar relax at the corner of his eye, "Classic Vengar, from 100 to zero in-" snap! Brelard snaps his fingers to emphasize.

Without looking up from his book, the gnome tries consoles Jenara and opens his mouth, but not really knowing what to say, he shuts it again and goes back to reading. He knows what it felt like to bring doom upon people he cared about, and he'd learned to face it. By avoiding them all entirely.

miinstrel
2016-10-05, 11:59 AM
"No harm done," Zeth says with a smile to Jenara's self-deprecation. He takes out his cards and shuffles them. "Except maybe to Vengar's chest. And Sariel's sanity. And those formerly beautiful oak floorboards from that flaming sphere."
"The past is in the past. Let's focus on who the real enemy is here: .......... any ideas?"

Holding the deck sandwiched between his hands he whispers softly to them, "I ask your guidance to show me the way forward." Focusing on the cards he flips a few over, pondering each in turn.

http://images.facade.com/i/t/golden/r/r3.jpg http://images.facade.com/i/t/golden/r/r55.jpg http://images.facade.com/i/t/golden/r/r73.jpg

He frowns at the cards, a puzzled look across his face. Shuffling them he pauses a moment in concentration before drawing again.

http://images.facade.com/i/t/golden/r/r29.jpg http://images.facade.com/i/t/golden/r/r31.jpg http://images.facade.com/i/t/golden/r/r/r58.jpg

He frowns again. "I think your little rope hole is interfering with our connection to the powers that be."

Fishybugs
2016-10-05, 12:18 PM
Jenara views the cards as Zeth flips through them. She frowns when he draws three more. "Why the redraw? The first set was pretty clear, I think. We're going to have a conflict with a woman of power, and come out stronger because of it. Cordelia, maybe?"

She pauses for a moment, then explains to Zeth, "I haven't always been a priestess you know. I used cards like those to scam people out of a lot of money when I needed it the most."

Black Socks
2016-10-05, 02:32 PM
Sariel huddles in a corner, her arms wrapped around her stomach, whispering to herself.
"Neveragainneveragainneveragainneveragain...."

((I, too, shall take a short rest.
Hit die:
[roll0]
Plus the song of rest:
[roll1]))

miinstrel
2016-10-05, 02:52 PM
"Oh really?" Zeth inquires. "Never fancied you much of a mystic," he adds with a smirk (and perhaps a hint of derision, you're not sure). "Yes, that's one interpretation. It could also be the Priestess, Cordelia, is acting out of self-interest because of her guilt and we need to help free her from that. Or it could indicate a revelation, some spiritual or natural force or knowledge, that drives a wedge between us leading to *ahem* shameful acts." He gives a raise of the eyebrows to Vengar. "Too many possibilities. Regardless of which is correct, it doesn't provide much insight on a more immediate course of action, hence the second draw with a more specific question in mind."

Opening his hands to the second set of cards still laid out he continues, "I believe these indicate Angelica and the force controlling her, making her see things in an unclear light. We free her from that and she can move on and maybe help us understand what in the nine hells is going on here." He pauses for a moment at the pun. "Her room is near here isn't it? Perhaps we should pay it a visit, see if Bitru is watching her sleep as well."

Antilles123
2016-10-05, 05:24 PM
"Sometimes, the most shameful acts are those we don't perform at all...", Vengar closes his eyes.

"Surely the secret to this place is somewhere else in this house. I don't feel as if Angelica is going to help us on her own. If she is enchanted in some way, there must be some source. Is there any way we can track her movements for a time and see where she goes within the building?"

Could it be that Angelica is under a spell and not at all fond of me? Vengar shifts uncomfortably in his position.